Magical Girls

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Destiny_Gundam

Re: Magical Girls

I didn't really see it as the Shinju modifying the system. The Shinju took from them in exchange for their powers, so when the Shinju took their powers they got that other stuff back. The Vertex will still keep coming back, and all they really accomplished was collecting data to help future heroes in their fights.

I'm fine with static characters too, but they went through some pretty heavy stuff. Normally it would be impossible for some one to go through all that and not come out of it changed in some way. Otherwise why include all that drama at all? It could have been a tale about sacrifice and learning to live with disabilities, but instead everything turns out okay because, quite literally, god fixes everything. I didn't get the sense they got it because they earned that, especially Togo who should have been punished for her actions. Actions have consequences and those consequences add weight. This ending invalidates most, if not all, of that weight.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Raikoh

I get that's one of the major reasons why many people hated the ending. Like I said, it was admittedly a tad too happy and I actually found it unnecessary to need to say bye-bye to the wheelchair. But if you want to talk about cause and effect, action and consequence, think about it from another perspective.

The only reason why the climax and the almost certain death of the Shinju happened was because it was causing hardships on its sole protectors for no discernible reason. Had it not ramped up the suffering, Tougou wouldn't have destroyed the wall. Outside of the Vertex, the Shinju is the creature that is (from a certain point of view) the most in the wrong. Maybe it's just an alternate interpretation, but Fuu saying the Shinju isn't seeking offerings any more suggests that it realizes what a bad idea it is to needlessly brew hatred from people who are necessary for your continued existence. We never learned if it discharged Sonoko, after all. That means one of two things: Either it no longer practicing Sange, or the system is getting reworked so that even if it still does it discharges Heroes at some point (which the Taisha would likely inform them of to prevent a repeat of either Fuu or Tougou). Of course, this is just speculation.

The central message isn't about living with hardship or sacrifice, we're told the main theme of the series right there at the end. Thrice, in fact, and it's even in the last shot of the series. Or there are the five other themes we hear many times throughout the series, none of which deal with disabilities.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Ryujin

Got around to watching Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu Love!

Taking an episode of a five-member Precure season & replacing them with boys is, uh, rather disturbing to say the least.
Spoiler
LOVE IS...OVAH!
Destiny_Gundam

Raikoh wrote:We never learned if it discharged Sonoko, after all.
But we did.
Henyo

watched Boueibu today...it was ok. surprisingly enough. it doesnt tak itself serously like twintails. i think i can handle this one. but just to be on the safe side, i'll have my Magical girl animes on the ready. Gran Doll or shamanic princess perhaps. :D

going to YuYuYu, people really should stop comparing it to Madoka. especially Tougo-san.
her motives aren't as selfish as Akemi's. more so her reasons for rebelling.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Raikoh

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Raikoh wrote:We never learned if it discharged Sonoko, after all.
But we did.
That doesn't confirm or deny anything in regards to Sonoko's Hero status. It only confirms that she's no longer under the effects of Sange. We had people who weren't active Heroes being affected by Sange (Yuuna, Tougou at the beginning).
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Destiny_Gundam

I don't see why Sonoko would be any different from the other girls. The Shinju runs on equivalent exchange. They exchanged body parts for power, and now they've exchanged power for body parts.

I wouldn't use Togo as an example, since things were manipulated so she'd become a hero again anyways. In Yuuna's case the sange's effects slowly went away, like the other girls, it's just Yuuna's case was more severe so it took longer.
Destiny_Gundam

Well, Yuyuyu is getting a dub, which is nice, but it's $90 for four episodes. Gonna have to pass on that.
Raikoh

I've got a bad taste in my mouth for "girl centric series" and "dub" anyway. Stateside voice actresses have about a half dozen talented names I can think of, and that's being generous. Granted, it's from a company I have no idea about the kind of work they've done in the past. So long as they stick away from Texas, and with only five major characters it might come out decent.

But this isn't really meant to be a "sub vs. dub" thing. Honestly I don't care much about that whole debate for various reasons. But yeah, I think anime is in a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy when it comes to DVD/BD sales. The logic of "only hardcore fans will buy it, so make it cost an arm and a leg" is something I don't get. And then they have the gall to act victimized when people choose alternative methods of watching.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Henyo

Cristine Valenzuela as Tougo-san

Homura/Tougo-san reaches complete global saturation. XD

other VAs i'd like to get casted for the Hero Club.
Laura Bailey
Wendee Lee - Seiyuu jokes asides, i think miss Suzumiya herself can do Tougo-san justice.
Luci Christian - she's got two Magical Girls under her belt.
Destiny_Gundam

Raikoh wrote:Stateside voice actresses have about a half dozen talented names I can think of, and that's being generous.
Can't say I agree with that statement. I pretty much exclusively watch dubs for physical releases and everything's been great. I'm just sick of Monica Rial doing her annoying cutesy voices and Greg Ayres voicing protagonists.
Henyo

anyone hoping to see that Madoka sequel materialize this year? or for some remakes of classics? better yet,a series that will level up the genre again. i certainly wish for the latter two. especially for Cutie Honey and the PreCure Series. Go! Princess PreCure has nice designs for its Team. i can't say much for the story so far.

having mentioned Madoka, do you think Daybreak Illusion(or il sole penetra le illusioni if you'd prefer)
deserved be called a poor madoka clone?
Vent Noir

Just watched the end of Happiness Charge Precure. Overall, they played it very safe and formulaic this season. Nothing particularly bad, but nothing to write home about. Hopefully. Go! Princess Precure will shake things up a bit.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Ryujin

Vent Noir wrote:Just watched the end of Happiness Charge Precure. Overall, they played it very safe and formulaic this season. Nothing particularly bad, but nothing to write home about. Hopefully. Go! Princess Precure will shake things up a bit.
I couldn't help but think that Phan-Phan had an ulterior motive in selflessly joining up with Yuu-Yuu instead of sticking with Mirage there in the end.

Imagine having to spend goodness knows how long STUCK ON A DESERT PLANET WITH ONLY RED, BLUE AND MIRAGE FOR COMPANY. Instead, he now has that oishii gohan in the bag.

Also, gotta wonder if Umakoshi was AD for the fight sequences in the first half.
Henyo

i did the unimaginable! i watched the new season without finishing the previous one!(personal rule here.)

BUT! it was worth it! GOKIGENYO YURI!

hopefully...got marimite vibes during Haruka and Minami's first encounter. Yui is almost a good sub for Tsutako-san. i am glad that the lead cure resemble's Saki. Splash star is the rarely referenced one.
the henshin is almost like heartcatch, screw that, like heartcatch.

and as usual, we have to make Tokusatsu comparisons.
the CUres here will be the reverse of Kabuto riders. they "put on" for the finishers instead of casting off.

last one: the ending sounds similar to Himitsu no Akko-chan's opening. the old style Magical girls in general really.
Vent Noir

Crunchyroll has a preview up for the Magical Girl Over Age light novel and song CD.

Magical Girl Over Age is set in a world where magical girls really exist and their battles have been broadcasted as a documentary program on TV every Sunday morning (like PreCure). Only the first grade junior high school girls are allowed to fight in the one-year assignment. The story centers around 15-year-old magical girls who are already retired from the battle but still can tansform.

Sounds interesting. Kind of like a Magical Girl version of Tiger & Bunny.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Henyo

it could go both ways though. moe filled simple Magical girl fare or a good homage series and goes to new place like the aforementioed Tiger and Bunny. one thing if sore sure though, we're gonna get expies of the most populat MGs since the genre started.
Henyo

ITS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!

SYMPHOGEAR SEASON 3!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ory/.86005

and in the vein of Binan Koukou, although this one is a Drama CD.(for now.)

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ect/.85906
Raikoh

Vivid's started to air, but you'll need to do some digging to find subs (that seem to use some inconsistent naming conventions i.e. "Lio", "Velka",- not that that's much of a problem, since Nanoha has had issues with names from day one.)

Some things I've noticed:
-Animation is kind of behind the par, especially for a first episode. Colors look kind of flat, character models look weird in a lot of shots, and the OP is nothing special by any definition, which kinda raises some red flags. The transformation sequence was nearly perfect, though, so maybe they're just conserving their budget for the action scenes? Either that or they're following the tradition that televised Nanoha has low animation budget.
-For some reason Nanoha now has purple eyes instead of blue? It wouldn't be so big an issue but now the eye colors are VERY noticeable and I'm used to Nanoha looking a certain way.
-I don't know how many voice actresses changed, but I noticed right away that Ginga swapped over to Hayami Saori and I feel like Carim sounds different.
-I'm pretty stunned at Mizuhasi's range. She's now played three versions of the same character and each one sounds fitting for Vivio's age. Not to mention how I still find it hard to believe she also voices Yuuno. Kudos.
-Nove a best.
-New ED is great.

All in all, I'm not huge on Vivid (though it's still a better choice than Force for a new anime) and the animation at the moment is a little worrying, but I'm just glad that Nanoha is even getting another anime after so long.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Destiny_Gundam

Felt the transformation scene was far too long. Being concise is important.

Apparently Ginga's original actress retired due to illness, so that's why she's voiced by Saori Hayami now.