The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Re: The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

pirx wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:58 am Speaking about new series - is there any info about it out there that is fresh? I only found mentions almost year old from january 2017.
nope, not a thing. I'd be willing to bet that we won't hear anything until around the time of the Delta movie.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Arbiter GUNDAM

Chisato Mita has drawn a key visual for the new Delta movie Passionate Walkure. Seems to reveal... an armored VF-31?!

Also there is a preview on Youtube but it's region locked :(

UPDATE: SCREW REGION LOCKS!! :mrgreen:
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
pirx

So it's out on 9th of February. We'll see how it turns out.
That FB video you linked seems to be removed.
Seto Kaiba

The trailer was pretty underwhelming, a few very short clips of mostly recycled footage from the series and some pan shots over static pieces of promotional art...
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
pirx

Big West has released a new Delta movie trailer yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7Mbv4uSr3g
Poochi

I just binge watched the series and felt I wasted my time. There's no reason to watch Delta if you've already seen Frontier. Everything about Frontier was better: the mecha combat, the characters, the songs, etc. Delta was too formulaic. You just knew Roid was going to end up being the big bad from the moment he was introduced.

There was nothing memorable between when Windermere captured Ragna (ep ~13ish) and the final battle (eps 24-25); just Hayate and Frejya saying "I love flying/singing" again and again. I still don't get how Walkure's hologram boomerang thingys can block friggin' missiles.
Code name Lockon Stratos. The man who can snipe from across the stratosphere.
Seto Kaiba

Poochi wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:45 pm I just binge watched the series and felt I wasted my time. There's no reason to watch Delta if you've already seen Frontier. Everything about Frontier was better: the mecha combat, the characters, the songs, etc. Delta was too formulaic. [...]

Speaking as a huge Macross fan, yeah... the whole Macross Frontier arc was always going to be a very tough (read: virtually impossible) act to follow, and Macross Δ definitely was not up to the job.

You're certainly not alone in those sentiments. The Macross Δ series took a pretty severe thrashing from the fans of previous Macross shows, most of whom tend to agree the show's writing was its biggest issue. Pacing problems in the second half, a lack of exposition until some info dump episodes in the second half, an unbalanced focus on Walkure vs. Delta Flight, and Roid's master plan being a blatant copy of Grace's from Frontier were among the most common issues raised... though there was also grumbling about shoddy fight choreography, some lack of participation in the love triangle by Mirage in the second half, and the Aerial Knights entire backstory and their sympathetic plot points being dispensed only in a gaiden manga as well.

(That said, I personally found the VF-31A to be probably the best-looking 5th Generation VF to date...)

Poochi wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:45 pm [...] You just knew Roid was going to end up being the big bad from the moment he was introduced. [...]
He didn't exactly try to hide it... between the Shiny Scary Glasses, the conspicuous white uniform, his job title being "chancellor" (an almost-always-evil job title)...

Poochi wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:45 pm I still don't get how Walkure's hologram boomerang thingys can block friggin' missiles.
Now that's an easy one.

Y'see, the MDP-001W Cygnus multidrone plate is essentially a semi-autonomous battery-powered drone that has support gear for Walkure built into it. This includes holographic projectors, a small spotlight, and a modest low-powered pin-point barrier system. When operating in swarms, the Cygnus multidrones can chain their pin-point barriers together to form a usably large barrier capable of stopping single shots from mecha-mounted weapons.

(This comes with the obvious shortcoming that, just as on VFs, the barrier system draws an enormous amount of power to warp space-time into an impassable shield... so the drones can only operate their barriers for a short time before needing to be recharged.)
The Macross Mecha Manual
Poochi

Those were my gripes with Delta as well.

I quite liked the Drakens myself.
Code name Lockon Stratos. The man who can snipe from across the stratosphere.
SonicSP

My main issue with Delta was the ending, it was too politically inconclusive and rushed and pacing early in the second cour and one that I hope the movies will do a better job. The first cour of Delta is definitely one of the best of the Macross franchise for me.

Other than that I particular enjoyed the Walkure vs Knight aspect and enjoyed the music as well. Aside from that it was definitely my favorite geneeal story from Macross bar the ending.

I even enjoyed the triangle because I find that I didn't particularly hate anybody and liked all theee of them. Much as I Ioved Frontier (which was my favorite before Delta came out), I can't spend two minutes watching that show without wishing Ranka dying a horrible death.
Seto Kaiba

SonicSP wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:50 am My main issue with Delta was the ending, it was too politically inconclusive and rushed and pacing early in the second cour and one that I hope the movies will do a better job.
My main issue with Delta's ending was that it blatantly stolen from Frontier... the only difference is that the big macguffin was something the Protoculture built rather than the Vajra. It was so annoying that half the time I can only bring myself to refer to Roid as "ManGrace".

As far as how decisive the ending was... well... if you read the gaiden manga then the ending takes on a rather horribly clear meaning.

Windermere IV is F*CKED.

Windermere IV's economy and exports are almost exclusively agricultural. King Grammier's plan to use Windermere's food exports to the rest of the Brisingr globular cluster to spread Var syndrome for later weaponization annihilated all demand for their one marketable commodity. Being economically underdeveloped as a result of the fold faults which surround their planet and the globular cluster's remoteness in general, as well as a New UN Government ban on trade in their other marketable resource - fold quartz - to prevent the proliferation of planet-killing WMDs was the Kingdom of the Wind's original reason for going to war with the New UN Government in 2060. They singlehandedly destroyed their own economy without the New UN Government having to lift a finger.

They don't have the technological base to develop new weapons and technologies, and now that Berger Stone and the Epsilon Foundation have bailed on them, they have only limited means to maintain their existing fleet of ships and VFs and no way to procure new ones. Considering extensive use of their "wind riding" abilities is noted in-series to more or less RUIN their VFs to the point where they have to issue pilots new ones, that's a crippling handicap considering they now have twenty odd New UN Forces planetary garrisons looking for revenge.

Politically, Windermere IV's Kingdom of the Wind is pretty screwed too. The royal family and government are gutted in light of the death of King Grammier, Chancellor Roid Brehm, and White Knight of Darwent Keith A. Windermere. Prince Heinz is the only one left to hold the reins of power, and he's bedridden and near to death as a result of having abused his runes singing the Song of the Wind to the point that he's dying of old age despite being only 9 years old. He is not likely to live very long, he's not married, and since Windermereans age at approximately the same rate as humans until they hit their mid-20s, he's not in any position to father an heir to the throne. If he snuffs it, who's left to take over? He and his father thinned the herd of noblemen on Windermere by committing the Aerial Knights to two disastrous wars against the New UN Government, in some cases leaving single survivors of what were formerly large noble families like the Con-vaarts. With no chancellor to run sh*t behind the scenes, and the Crown Prince already having one foot and several toes in the grave, Windermere IV's monarchy isn't going to last very long. Are they about to head into civil war over the succession? Who knows? It's going to be messy, and it'll only further deplete the already badly depleted Aerial Knights, who will need decades to recover from the mauling they've taken and the loss of many of their most talented knights.

SonicSP wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:50 am I even enjoyed the triangle because I find that I didn't particularly hate anybody and liked all theee of them. Much as I Ioved Frontier (which was my favorite before Delta came out), I can't spend two minutes watching that show without wishing Ranka dying a horrible death.
Did you find movie Ranka any more favorable?
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Seto Kaiba wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:19 pm Windermere IV is F*CKED.

Windermere IV's economy and exports are almost exclusively agricultural. King Grammier's plan to use Windermere's food exports to the rest of the Brisingr globular cluster to spread Var syndrome for later weaponization annihilated all demand for their one marketable commodity. Being economically underdeveloped as a result of the fold faults which surround their planet and the globular cluster's remoteness in general, as well as a New UN Government ban on trade in their other marketable resource - fold quartz - to prevent the proliferation of planet-killing WMDs was the Kingdom of the Wind's original reason for going to war with the New UN Government in 2060. They singlehandedly destroyed their own economy without the New UN Government having to lift a finger.

They don't have the technological base to develop new weapons and technologies, and now that Berger Stone and the Epsilon Foundation have bailed on them, they have only limited means to maintain their existing fleet of ships and VFs and no way to procure new ones. Considering extensive use of their "wind riding" abilities is noted in-series to more or less RUIN their VFs to the point where they have to issue pilots new ones, that's a crippling handicap considering they now have twenty odd New UN Forces planetary garrisons looking for revenge.

Politically, Windermere IV's Kingdom of the Wind is pretty screwed too. The royal family and government are gutted in light of the death of King Grammier, Chancellor Roid Brehm, and White Knight of Darwent Keith A. Windermere. Prince Heinz is the only one left to hold the reins of power, and he's bedridden and near to death as a result of having abused his runes singing the Song of the Wind to the point that he's dying of old age despite being only 9 years old. He is not likely to live very long, he's not married, and since Windermereans age at approximately the same rate as humans until they hit their mid-20s, he's not in any position to father an heir to the throne. If he snuffs it, who's left to take over? He and his father thinned the herd of noblemen on Windermere by committing the Aerial Knights to two disastrous wars against the New UN Government, in some cases leaving single survivors of what were formerly large noble families like the Con-vaarts. With no chancellor to run sh*t behind the scenes, and the Crown Prince already having one foot and several toes in the grave, Windermere IV's monarchy isn't going to last very long. Are they about to head into civil war over the succession? Who knows? It's going to be messy, and it'll only further deplete the already badly depleted Aerial Knights, who will need decades to recover from the mauling they've taken and the loss of many of their most talented knights.
Damn, that is harsh. Just wish that the shows had given us this much details on the background instead of exposited everything in a gaiden manga.

Say, has it ever been clarified in 7 whether the characters in DYRL were played by the real Hikaru, Lynn, etc. themselves, or were they potrayed by actors and actresses?
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:40 am Damn, that is harsh. Just wish that the shows had given us this much details on the background instead of exposited everything in a gaiden manga.
Delta would, I feel, have been a MUCH better series if they'd spent more time developing Windermere's characters the way they did in the gaiden manga.

In the series proper, their motivations are barely explored at all... leaving them as little more than Darwent Castle Host Club.

False Prophet wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:40 am Say, has it ever been clarified in 7 whether the characters in DYRL were played by the real Hikaru, Lynn, etc. themselves, or were they potrayed by actors and actresses?
Not in 7 itself... but considering Hikaru, Misa, etc. left Earth on Megaroad-01 in 2012 and had been MIA for 15 years by the time the in-universe version of Do You Remember Love? was released, it's a VERY safe bet the movie used appropriately aged actors. Max and Milia would've been unavailable, as they were an extremely busy pair in the New UN Spacy Special Forces.

We do know that, for the sake of veracity, the film did use actual starships and mecha for many shots... the role of Boddole Zer's mobile fortress was played by a West Point-class macro training ship covered in a holographic skin, and it's speculated by many fans that the SDF-1 Macross was the SDFN-01 General Takashi Hayase. It's also known that the filming used real VF-1 Valkyries and Zentradi mecha for scenes involving them, though the early block type used during the war wasn't available so they used VF-1s from a number of later production blocks (hence the more modern equipment).

Of course, it's also worth noting that Macross 7 indicates there are several scenes in the version of the film that debuted in-universe in 2031 that are not part of the Macross: Do You Remember Love? which was released in the real world... like another Max-Milia dogfight, and their wedding.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Say, in the Gaiden manga, is there any additional information on Xaos?
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:14 pm Say, in the Gaiden manga, is there any additional information on Xaos?
Nothing specifically about the corporation itself... all we know is what we knew from the series materials, it's an interstellar conglomerate that started out as a communications firm before branching out into other fields like entertainment and defense.

Macross Delta Gaiden: Macross E shows the company's initial experiments with using fold song for Var syndrome suppression on Pipure.

Dr. Elma Hoyly appears to have been responsible for much of the early Tactical Sound Unit hardware, based on the work her mentor Dr. Lawrence, who developed the space-time resonance speakers from the Macross Dynamite 7 OVA. She outfitted three of the Xaos Pipure branch Echo Flight VF-171EX's with a "Live Dome" radome that included fold wave amplifiers and served as a mobile stage from which the members of Tactical Sound Unit Thrones would perform. The Thrones were a girl group native to Pipure, a three-girl rock band and arguably the first Tactical Sound Unit, who experimented in suppressing Var syndrome outbreaks in the local wildlife on Pipure.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Anyone here watched, or have plan to watch the Delta movie? From Twitter and Google Translate, it seems like they changed the chemistry between Hayate/Freya and Kaname/Messer a bit.
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:50 am Anyone here watched, or have plan to watch the Delta movie? From Twitter and Google Translate, it seems like they changed the chemistry between Hayate/Freya and Kaname/Messer a bit.
Everything I've seen thus from friends abroad who were able to take in the film on opening night suggests that there wasn't much actual change to the story from the TV series. It was noted that Messer's death is more drawn out than the TV series version, but only really changes matters in that...
Spoiler
... he's wounded and dies in Kaname's arms after the crash instead of simply being insta-dead.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Seto Kaiba wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:48 pm Everything I've seen thus from friends abroad who were able to take in the film on opening night suggests that there wasn't much actual change to the story from the TV series. It was noted that Messer's death is more drawn out than the TV series version, but only really changes matters in that...
Spoiler
... he's wounded and dies in Kaname's arms after the crash instead of simply being insta-dead.
Yeah. Picked this detail from this podcast: http://www.decultureshock.com/speakerpo ... re-review/

(I recommend this podcast for anyone who like Macross.)
pirx

So, movie is basically a compilation of TV series with a bit of additional animation thrown in?
Sigh, i was hoping for retelling DYRL/Frontier movie style.
How long is it?
And - how much did they cut out from series?
Seto Kaiba

pirx wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:54 am So, movie is basically a compilation of TV series with a bit of additional animation thrown in?
Yeah, word from Japan is it's a more traditional compilation-style movie, though about 40-50% of the footage is new, which is still VERY high for that kind of project.

pirx wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:54 am Sigh, i was hoping for retelling DYRL/Frontier movie style.
How long is it?
And - how much did they cut out from series?
Standard feature film, 2 hours give or take a few minutes.

By all accounts, a LOT was cut.
Spoiler
They start in medias res, but King Grammier has been cut entirely, Mirage has only a few lines and almost no relevance to the plot, and they rush through the show's key events with little to none of the show's B-plot nonsense like trying to memorialize Messer or infiltrating a half dozen planets.
The Macross Mecha Manual