The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Wingnut

Re: The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

pirx wrote:
Spoiler
Hayate's dad is Wright Immelmann. Another aviator reference. And judging from Robert's reaction (future Delta 4?) he's done something nasty.
Spoiler
I'm betting that he was the one flying that VF-22 that dropped the dimensional warhead.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Destiny_Gundam

Man, Mirage getting BTFOed.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
azrael

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Man, Mirage getting BTFOed.
She's entering friend-zone at this pace.
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
Wingnut

At least she's coming to terms with her own feelings. And the game is far from over in spite of her rival's huge lead.
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
Iris Scope

To the best of my recollection, I did see ep. 15 but I honestly don't remember what Wikipedia is telling me about
Spoiler
Major Laurie being one of the fatalities in the NUNS counterattack to Winderemere's coronation announcement...
Destiny_Gundam

They spend 16 episodes establishing the mutual attraction between Hayate and Freyja and now they're throwing in reasons why they can't be together so Mirage can swoop in for the win.

I'm on to your game, Macross Delta!
Seto Kaiba

Destiny_Gundam wrote:They spend 16 episodes establishing the mutual attraction between Hayate and Freyja and now they're throwing in reasons why they can't be together so Mirage can swoop in for the win.

Probably because it's the same game the original played?
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Destiny_Gundam

I've actually never seen the original, only DYRL.

But I'm pretty sure Minmei and Hikaru didn't have an issue with different life spans, or the former's songs having bad effects on the latter. Wasn't it an issue of Minmei's busy idol career and her douche of a cousin?
Wingnut

Destiny_Gundam wrote:I've actually never seen the original, only DYRL.

But I'm pretty sure Minmei and Hikaru didn't have an issue with different life spans, or the former's songs having bad effects on the latter. Wasn't it an issue of Minmei's busy idol career and her douche of a cousin?
It's been years since I've seen the TV series, but I think that was the main cause of friction in the mid-game for those two. Hikaru simply being in the military was a grief generator whenever he came into conflict with Kaifun (which was pretty much anytime the two were in the same room), and her idol schedule didn't help matters either.

Minmay's songs were only Too Much High Power, Man for the Zentradi. They were just average j-pop for humans at the time.
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
Destiny_Gundam

Well that sounds like a more natural reason for them to drift apart. In DYRL it's more like "Hey Minmei, we were getting along pretty well but I was stranded with Misa for awhile and we thought we were the last two humans left so I guess I love her now."
pirx

Heh, Wingnut was spot on about what Hayate's dad did...
Henyo

so, is it safe to say that episode 17 of Delta has the most onscreen Oppai service of all Macross animated works? had to get that out of my system. 8)

the idea that the Winderians are trying to lengthen(or fix from another point of view.) their lifespan is looking more plausible. so is Mkiumo being a sentient Protoculture thingie.

i'll refrain from commenting about the love triangle for now. too early to abandon ship IMO. :D
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
pirx

Nah. Hayate just like Alto and Basara is completely oblivious to the triangle.
Okay, Basara wasn't interested in any sex (oposite and his own) as a whole being too much into his music and too much "out of here".
Only Hikaru and Isamu got their act together on these matters.
Of course, Hayate is still "in progress" so maybe he'll come arround. We'll see.

On other hand - Kaos seems to make a good money with their peep-show app.
Areku

Destiny_Gundam wrote:They spend 16 episodes establishing the mutual attraction between Hayate and Freyja and now they're throwing in reasons why they can't be together so Mirage can swoop in for the win.

You can't really call it "throwing in reasons" when certain parts of the show have been structured around those reasons since the beginning. :P

Has there been a single episode so far where the Windermerian 30-year lifespan hasn't been mentioned? If so, there haven't been two! It even came up seemingly out of the blue during Voldor's negotiations in Ep.7, further reinforcing how important it is to the Windermerian mindset. It's only natural that as Freyja's puppy-dog affections develop into something longer-term, she'd get gloomy at the prospect of leaving her interest a widower at a comparatively young age. Truly oblivious micro-expressions aside, I sometimes wonder if this is something Hayate has considered and tries to circumvent by acting oblivious; it's hard to believe that he can be sensitive enough to her desires to arrange an artificial snow-day from a single in-passing mention yet legitimately miss her bashfulness.

Regarding her singing affecting him, I was wondering how long it would take for negative effects to show up. Every person we've seen "ride the wind" has been negatively influenced by fold waves in some way, either being under the influence of Var Syndrome mind control or having such a strong sensitivity to them that it shortens their lifespan; why should Hayate be an exception? I wonder if his symptoms would diminish if he stopped wearing the fold quartz.

If anything, it'll be Roid "throwing in reasons" they can be together! :P
Iris Scope

I hate to have to break this unfortunate news but I don't think I will be able to finish this series. :( I keep feeling like the last great Macross entry was Plus and this show is too kiddy and glittery for my liking despite having several moments of darkness. I'll probably watch Zero again since I haven't seen in over a decade but that a big if...
Areku

Iris Scope wrote:I hate to have to break this unfortunate news but I don't think I will be able to finish this series. :( I keep feeling like the last great Macross entry was Plus and this show is too kiddy and glittery for my liking despite having several moments of darkness. I'll probably watch Zero again since I haven't seen in over a decade but that a big if...
To each their own. The show definitely has some substantial flaws, but your description sounds like you're placing greater emphasis on aesthetic over actual substance; I'm not sure what's "kiddy" about a war fought over pan-galactic mind-control that's mostly played pretty straight, but hey, your call.
Andvari

Hello i'm back it'e been a while yeah i haven't been watching much of delta i know it's good but can you help me a bit and throw in some stuff of what i can expect also while i don't think i can mention it but i'll say it which fansub group is the best quality and good translation.
pirx

Well if you are going to compare each and every Macross to Plus then ... you just have to stop watching Macross at all since no Macross after Plus was so dark. Zero was good until middle of the episode 4, then it just stalled, ending was pure disappointment. I still hope for a movie version with extended ending.

As for Delta - yes, it has some hints of M7s ridiculousness and techno-mage singing girls-fairies are not my thing either. Modernisation for 2010ies i guess. I will hold my opinion until i have seen it all but so far i would say that it ranks below Frontier in my book.
Destiny_Gundam

Damn, lots of crazy messed up stuff going on in this episode.
Wingnut

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Damn, lots of crazy messed up stuff going on in this episode.
Trippin' balls on fold acid this time 'round.
Spoiler
Though I'm more interested in Kumo-Kumo's history that's hinted at here. If the likes of Sheryl, Ranka, and anyone else who sing and amp up with fold quartz powers were Newtypes, than Mikumo might be a Cyber Newtype flavor. One made specifically to resonate with the Protoculture ruins maybe?

This power however is having quite the effect on everyone and proving to be too much high power man for Hayate as he starts going Var from being too in sync with Freija.
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.