The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Henyo

Re: The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

Ascension wrote:Huh. Around the 0:51-0:52 mark, we see that the Walkure Valkyries (say that five times fast) project holograms of the idols from their shoulders?
which can be seen as a down sized Minmay attack from macross II. ah, thank you my supplier for pointing that out. was something similar used in the AKB0048 anime? never got to finish that one.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Arbiter GUNDAM

Henyo wrote: was something similar used in the AKB0048 anime? never got to finish that one.
Oh yeah.

Anway, the special broadcast of Delta's first episode is tonight in about 4 1/2 hours. You can watch it on Bandai Channel with certain methods... maybe.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Henyo

Sasuga internet. episode 1 is already has a torrent. and the cast list has been deciphered.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... deciphered

Asami Seto as the Jenius. that's a nice voice Seto-san. far from Atelier's Wilbell or Valvrave's Shouko. even Chihayafuru's Chihaya.

Planet Al Shahal is an interesting planet. it's patterned after the Middle East. most obvious in the buildings and the clothing of the common people. Delta is really leaning more to the AKB side than Love live. also Magical Girls with music themes.

and people are still butt hurting about the animation. sheesh. :evil:

i find it just fine.
Deacon Blues

Definitely not liking the songstress songs in this series... too kiddy sounding pop. Frontier definitely had better jam tunes. Plus there's too much sparkly antics going on in this...

It saddens me to see that this is the direction that Macross is taking. Guess there won't be anything like Zero and Plus again anytime soon...

Take out the girls dance routine and the ending was pretty good with the fight.
iguanaman8989

That was wonderfully over the top!
I hadn't really looked into the show all that much ahead of time, and other than knowing there'd be a sort of idol squad, I had no clue about what was planned to happen.
Started wondering if they were doing what I thought they were doing, and it was a lot of fun.

Musical Magical Girls riding on Valkyries = Fun!
Iris Scope

Mikumo DEFINITELY had me fooled! :shock: Some people were going around claiming that grown up Ranka was somehow gonna cameo in this show and turns out they were wrong.

After SO many 4Kids references, now I see what all the fuss is about concerning rice balls vs. American donuts. I guess in Japan, rice balls ARE donuts so to those of you who have eaten one before, is it made with some sort of sweetener or is it just plain ol' rice? Just a curiosity.

If Hayate is going to be the Hikaru of the series and Freyja the Minmay with Mirage Jenius supposedly being the Misa, all should be well with the parallels considering Mirage didn't have a good impression of Hayate due to misunderstanding like in the original Macross.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Henyo wrote: and people are still butt hurting about the animation. sheesh. :evil:

i find it just fine.
That's because this is basically version 0.89 of the episode. People don't bother to actually try and figure things out anymore, they just get butthurt so they can have validation. :3

Anway,
Spoiler
OK, first impressions of this episode 0.89: I can't say I've ever been overfond of the magical girl genre and so those stylings for Walkure don't do much for me. That said, in a general sense, it's really no more outlandish than Universal Bunny or Niji Iro no Kuma-Kuma from Macross frontier or the surreal, mind-bending, what-the-hell-is-this from Sharon Apple's concerts. Everything else in the episode was pretty solid, except for the stuff that tochiro, save, and Renato mentioned in the podcast in there being a few too many characters to present. I'm almost certain that scarred-up Aerial Knight that has never been seen or mentioned before will die next episode. I also get the feeling that the marriage Freyja was running from might be to one of the Aerial Knights
or their boss, whom I will, henceforth, refer to as GLASSES MAN! (bum bum bum)®

--Freyja Wion
Henyo

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:
Henyo wrote: and people are still butt hurting about the animation. sheesh. :evil:

i find it just fine.
That's because this is basically version 0.89 of the episode. People don't bother to actually try and figure things out anymore, they just get butthurt so they can have validation. :3

Anway,
Spoiler
OK, first impressions of this episode 0.89: I can't say I've ever been overfond of the magical girl genre and so those stylings for Walkure don't do much for me. That said, in a general sense, it's really no more outlandish than Universal Bunny or Niji Iro no Kuma-Kuma from Macross frontier or the surreal, mind-bending, what-the-hell-is-this from Sharon Apple's concerts. Everything else in the episode was pretty solid, except for the stuff that tochiro, save, and Renato mentioned in the podcast in there being a few too many characters to present. I'm almost certain that scarred-up Aerial Knight that has never been seen or mentioned before will die next episode. I also get the feeling that the marriage Freyja was running from might be to one of the Aerial Knights
or their boss, whom I will, henceforth, refer to as GLASSES MAN! (bum bum bum)®
they just really want some shiny HD animation. as Kyubey would say "I don't get it." animation could only take you so far. on that regards, why aren't those kind of anime fans get butt hurt over Ghibli studio's animation?(i am one of those who think Ghibli works are over rated.)

rewatching ep1. gonna settle with GG subs. Japanese doughnuts! 4kids pokemon reference. wooo!
anyone else here bothered by the hair in general? i mean, many of the characters have two toned hair. also, stars on the knights. another: Freyja speaks with an accent i think. i just can't tell which.

oh yeah, some people in the internet are saying they want this to be streamed. ah, young whippersnappers can say amusing things sometimes. although, LOGH and Rose of Versailles got licensed...
Chris
Administrator

Iris Scope wrote:After SO many 4Kids references, now I see what all the fuss is about concerning rice balls vs. American donuts. I guess in Japan, rice balls ARE donuts so to those of you who have eaten one before, is it made with some sort of sweetener or is it just plain ol' rice? Just a curiosity.
Onigiri is nothing like at all like American donuts. The rice balls are filled with fish or another salty ingredient and wrapped in seaweed. They were only ever called donuts as a result of poor attempts to Americanize anime for children and not have anything remotely foreign.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Zeonista

Just wow... :shock: So many things happening on screen after a while, I will have to watch it again to get everything down. Real hardship, eh? :P

Hayate: Another young Macross hero trying to find his corner of the sky. Gotta keep the basics down while changing everything else.
Freyja: Kawaii on wheels! :D Running from an arranged marriage, and then the bishie squadron makes an appearance... I sense a subplot!
Mirage Farina Jenius: Whoa, cool babe alert. 8)
Expansion Map: Wow, humanity is all over the place and then some, right?
Var Syndrome: Oh rats, somebody went Dark Side with the idol power. Interesting story take though, looking forward to seeing it get described for us.
Loadmecha: I shouldn't be that impressed by giant walking forklifts. :D

And yeah, the AKB & Symphogear stylings are all over the place. I mean that as a good thing though.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Destiny_Gundam

I quite liked this first episode. The action was pretty good and I don't mind these types of idols. Macross has always been about idols but the idols of 1982 are a lot different from the idols of today. It's only natural for a new Macross show to reflect today's idols.

In general I like music that has multiple singers singing in unison. While the first song didn't impress me too much, I really like the 2nd one (I dig the use of brass).

Freyja is cute (and hopefully not Thor in disguise) and her voice actress doesn't have that obvious rookie sound like Megumi Nakajima did. Shame she's going to be heartbroken at the end of it all (as is typical of Macross) but I'm not sure who she'll lose to. One might think Mirage, since she actually meets the guy this episode, but Mikumo looks like she's going to be too important to be left out.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
excalibur2008

I found it interesting that this time they've skipped directly to the Valkyries supporting an idol singer thing. Apparently the UN Spacy finally figured out that when weird crap shows up singing always seems to fix it so they should lead with that.
Areku

I have to admit that I'm a fan of neither the Walkure's aesthetics nor their music, but nothing I saw in 0.89 warrants the knee-jerk worst-thing-to-happen-to-Macross reactions I've been seeing elsewhere. The concept of the Walkure as frontline combatants seems like the logical progression of the battlefield idol Frontier played with when they tried to literally weaponize Aimo, especially when you consider that potentially anyone is a sleeper terrorist courtesy of "biological fold waves," presumably similar to the phenomena behind the Vajra hive mind.

While it can be a little jarring to see Valkyries join into a choreographed dance routine, I look forward to seeing the Walkure assist them in direct combat. I imagine that at some point, the Walkure will fulfill a role similar to Weapon Systems Officers; we've already seen them ride in the appropriate seat to do so. Those Multidrones could add an interesting new dimension to the traditional Macross Missile Massacre!

So yeah, I'm not entirely sold on Delta, but I'm still looking forward to it.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Destiny_Gundam wrote:I quite liked this first episode. The action was pretty good and I don't mind these types of idols. Macross has always been about idols but the idols of 1982 are a lot different from the idols of today. It's only natural for a new Macross show to reflect today's idols.

In general I like music that has multiple singers singing in unison. While the first song didn't impress me too much, I really like the 2nd one (I dig the use of brass).

Freyja is cute (and hopefully not Thor in disguise) and her voice actress doesn't have that obvious rookie sound like Megumi Nakajima did. Shame she's going to be heartbroken at the end of it all (as is typical of Macross) but I'm not sure who she'll lose to. One might think Mirage, since she actually meets the guy this episode, but Mikumo looks like she's going to be too important to be left out.
Oh Destiny Gundam, I wish so many more people understood this who claim to be Macross fans.

--Freyja Wion
Destiny_Gundam

Which part? The part about the in show idols reflecting real life ones?

Well, I don't expect they'll go so far as to, say, fire Mikumo for breach of contract if she does hook up with Hayate. Or have her shave her head as a public apology.
Henyo

Areku wrote: The concept of the Walkure as front line combatants seems like the logical progression of the battlefield idol.
This. although i have to admit, the idols have the option of controlling those speakers/shield bit from a much safer place. VFs dedicated to supporting them.(Mirage's VF may not be the only with the recharge equipment.) get them high enough, for safety, set up a platform or whathave you, access to powerful radar techs and poof.

also, i have to do this: YURI GOGGLES ON!!! :twisted:
that Bi love triangle might no far away after all.
Destiny_Gundam

Ain't gonna lie to ya, bro, but sometimes me thinks you've got those yuri goggles on so tightly you're cutting off the blood flow to your brain :lol:
Henyo

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Ain't gonna lie to ya, bro, but sometimes me thinks you've got those yuri goggles on so tightly you're cutting off the blood flow to your brain :lol:
even worse is that its tied to my doujin consumption gauge. XD also because i'm watching too many a Shoujo flavored shows. at the very least i'm not one of those Het is EW people.

now then, i know the situation with harmony gold, but is there a slight chance that Delta will be streamed? like what happened with Plus and II. i:e they defenses were broken, and slaughtered(woo! TF reference!), back then.
Ascension

excalibur2008 wrote:I found it interesting that this time they've skipped directly to the Valkyries supporting an idol singer thing. Apparently the UN Spacy finally figured out that when weird crap shows up singing always seems to fix it so they should lead with that.
This is the best response I've seen to Delta. :lol:

On first viewing (without subtitles) I was thrown by the mobility of the Walkure girls and the versatility of their drones, but when I rewatched it with subs I noticed little details that made me feel a lot better about the whole thing. While the tech on display is a touch more fantastic than I'm used to, it has clear limitations, it's not just pure hax. And I'd bet the Walkures are actually wearing something similar to an Ex-Gear underneath their holo-outfits.

All-in-all, I'm excited for the series. I like the characters we've met so far, I like the Valkyries vs. Valkyries setup, I love Ikenai Borderline... I think we've got fun times ahead. (And maybe we'll eventually see what the SV-262's Battroid mode looks like! :P )

(Is anyone else curious how Kaname counts as Walkure's leader when Mikumo is not only framed as the most prominent member of the group, but also takes the initiative in both of their songs during ep. 1? Maybe that's an exception rather than the rule, but I thought it was kind of strange how small Kaname's presence was here.)
Henyo wrote:now then, i know the situation with harmony gold, but is there a slight chance that Delta will be streamed? like what happened with Plus and II. i:e they defenses were broken, and slaughtered(woo! TF reference!), back then.
AFAIK, no. As of this Forbes interview with Kawamori, published in early December, that definitely seemed to be in the realm of wishful thinking.
"If I had the chance to officially stream Macross Delta and make it available to fans everywhere, like Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans, I’d be very happy to see that happen."
But that's a big if.
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
Destiny_Gundam

Henyo wrote:at the very least i'm not one of those Het is EW people.
Bless you for that. Can't say the same for 90% of the yuri fans I know...