The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Dark Duel

Re: The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

Bit late to the party, but I'm inclined to agree with Chris. Much as I'd love to see the post-Loum/OYW segments of The Origin animated, I'm not holding my breath until/unless we get a concrete announcement that says clearly, from a reputable source, "this is happening". Until then, I'm just gonna believe that the extra delay is meant to accomodate the modified production schedule as required to produce two additional episodes.

@domino: Y'know that IS a good question. *puts on speculation hat* It might be that the two machines are in sufficiently close proximity that interference from Minovsky particles doesn't completely inhibit communication, or perhaps maybe the Minovsky particle density isn't high enough to substantially inhibit communication at short distances. Or perhaps a combination of both.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
domino

Dark Duel wrote:
@domino: Y'know that IS a good question. *puts on speculation hat* It might be that the two machines are in sufficiently close proximity that interference from Minovsky particles doesn't completely inhibit communication, or perhaps maybe the Minovsky particle density isn't high enough to substantially inhibit communication at short distances. Or perhaps a combination of both.
At first I thought it was due to NewType magic but it's clearly via electronic communication of some sort.

It appears that Layla is at Granada while Char is battling the remaining Feds at Von Braun. There should be intense Minovsky particles in that area....
nickh46

Chris wrote:
nickh46 wrote:Episode 5 (Clash - The Battle of Loum) will be released Fall 2017, and Episode 6 (Birth of the Red Comet) will be released 2018.

This is quite different from the 6-month delay between episodes, which means there's basically one logical hypothesis: they're buying time to gear assets and production up to do a full series once the Loum is over, for a release during the 40th year anniversary in 2019.
No, I wouldn't assume this at all. When Unicorn was extended to seven episodes, it resulted in a long delay as production shifted to accommodate the extra episode. Origin was announced as four episodes, and increasing that to six means changing production schedules. If the studio behind Origin was originally going to work on something else after Origin, that work has to be reassigned, etc.
Great perspective as always, but at this point I'm still inclined to stand by what I originally said. I think I mentioned this in the beginning, that this entire 4-episode prequel is basically a "pilot" program to test the waters and measure the hype, and then move forward if the option is financially feasible. It has been such, and that's why they're making 2 more.

And they're testing the waters too, with that "does anyone want to see a full remake"? question that they said at the screening 6 months ago. Now to be honest, this is nothing more then a gut feeling, but more often then not my gut feeling turns out to be right from previous personal and professional experience.

Now, that being said, I do like to ask some topics of those who have seen it? Spoilers abound
Spoiler
Why hasn't anyone made a #GuncannonLivesMatter activist movement?
So did that Erdush guy survive?
I felt that the the chakram ring and the turban does not contribute to any Indian stereotypes at all, what so ever :lol:
I guess the incident where Kai drags Amuro off from bed into the denied zone of Side 7 will be in the next ep?
Doesn't the "Chronicle of Char and Sayla" branding seem pretty moot, since Artesia/Sayla has little to no presence in Eps 3 and 4?
Dark Duel

With regards to your last question...
Spoiler
Personally, despite the "Sayla and Char" branding I do feel that Char was more or less always going to be the central focus, though as he and Sayla are both the main characters, and as the Battle of Loum segment does - judging from the manga and the brief glimpses from the trailer - does indeed cover what Sayla was up to during that time, it remains relevant IMO
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
zetatype

nickh46 wrote:
Now, that being said, I do like to ask some topics of those who have seen it? Spoilers abound
Spoiler
I guess the incident where Kai drags Amuro off from bed into the denied zone of Side 7 will be in the next ep?
Doesn't the "Chronicle of Char and Sayla" branding seem pretty moot, since Artesia/Sayla has little to no presence in Eps 3 and 4?
Spoiler
It looks like it but if iirc that scene happens in the latter half of Vol.7 and therefore should be in episode 6 rather than 5.
Imo the Char and Sayla branding becomes misleading after Char meets Lalah. Afterward the focus of the Flashback arc seems to shift away from Char and Sayla and more towards the events surrounding the OYW. While Char and Sayla are hardly irrelevant at this point it doesn't feel like they are the primary focus anymore like with the first 3 episodes.
Zeonista

I so hope the BR sales are good enough to get Sunrise to take the plunge on a TV series. Screw Disney's sequel trilogy and sideshows for Star Wars, an Origin TV series would complete my fanboy existence.

This #4 episode was great, and I noticed the runtime was much longer than previously expected! Lots of story, all told so well.

(Avert eyes at this point if necessary. Here, watch Haro show more emotional range and social skills than Amuro does!)
Spoiler
Garma the Hero: How he got to be a division commander in 0079, in spite of himself.
Official Non-Apology Apology: The meeting is great from the Zeonista side. Degwin and Gihren act like they know what is happening, while Dozzle is off-script again.
"Old men should not become fathers": Now that I think on it, Garma is more like Degwin's grandson than his son in relative terms. Or maybe Garma should run around in an amazing technicolor dreamcoat?
True Romance: The good news, girl, is that you are not getting demoted like the former #1 student. The bad news, is...better do some stretching exercises. Seriously, that is like marrying Bigfoot. :shock:
Chekov's Bulldozer: Exactly how did the Zeon MSM unit find their way into Jaburo again? ;)
Insert Spielberg Movie Here: Everything Char and Lalah in this episode. :D
AE Again: Not really surprising, especially after Unicorn.
#Guncannonlivesmatter: It warms my heart, it really does. :P Granted the ZMF team is heavily weighted with aces, but still... The EFSF force is guilty of overconfidence of the Judd Fetterman caliber here.
"Amuro no baka!": What we all said, at one time or another.
Spoiler
1. Why hasn't anyone made a #GuncannonLivesMatter activist movement?
2. So did that Erdush guy survive?
3. felt that the the chakram ring and the turban does not contribute to any Indian stereotypes at all, what so ever :lol:
4. I guess the incident where Kai drags Amuro off from bed into the denied zone of Side 7 will be in the next ep?
5. Doesn't the "Chronicle of Char and Sayla" branding seem pretty moot, since Artesia/Sayla has little to no presence in Eps 3 and 4?

1. No one cares...and it shows.
2. He can dive and swim quite well!
3. See my comment on that. ;)
4. No comment.
5. Not really. Artesia/Sayla has a big role in the first two parts, and Char is the main man through everything. Char is pretty much the main focus of #3, and he has significant parts to play in #4.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Erisie

Zeonista wrote:
Spoiler
Chekov's Bulldozer: Exactly how did the Zeon MSM unit find their way into Jaburo again? ;)
Spoiler
In the manga, Jaburo takes place before the three flashback volumes. Char got the information about the underground passage from the local Yanomami tribe. Even the official website says that Char got his contacts with the tribe during his time in Brazil.
Zeonista wrote:AE Again: Not really surprising, especially after Unicorn.
Another thing that was in the manga. Yasuhiko gave a clear role to Anaheim as a leading weapons developer for the Federation before the One Year War. Episode 2 added a sequence showing an AE plant building Guntanks, Type 61s and Saberfish fighters.
Deacon Blues

So I noticed that there was an absence of a director in this particular episode... Imanishi is said to have been fired and/or quit after Episode 3 came out... which seems rather odd to me. Only other thing I can think of is that he was removed from Episode 4 to focus on the Loum arc instead, which means we'll have ridiculously mobile ship battles much like MS IGLOO. :/
Zeonista

Deacon Blues wrote:So I noticed that there was an absence of a director in this particular episode... Imanishi is said to have been fired and/or quit after Episode 3 came out... which seems rather odd to me. Only other thing I can think of is that he was removed from Episode 4 to focus on the Loum arc instead, which means we'll have ridiculously mobile ship battles much like MS IGLOO. :/
Is there an "Alan Smitty" or other generic fill-in name for Japanese directors? Besides that Yatate fellow, I mean. ;) I am all in favor of a ridiculous mobile ship battle, since per Tomino that was exactly how Loum was fought. The thought that Sunrise is considering letting us see the hour of the Mobile Suit in its chaotic deastating glory makes me quite giddy as a mecha anime fan.

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Zeonista

Zeonista wrote:
Deacon Blues wrote:So I noticed that there was an absence of a director in this particular episode... Imanishi is said to have been fired and/or quit after Episode 3 came out... which seems rather odd to me. Only other thing I can think of is that he was removed from Episode 4 to focus on the Loum arc instead, which means we'll have ridiculously mobile ship battles much like MS IGLOO. :/
Is there an "Alan Smithee" or other generic fill-in name for Japanese directors? Besides that Yatate fellow, I mean. ;) I am all in favor of a ridiculous mobile ship battle, since per Tomino that was exactly how Loum was fought. The thought that Sunrise is considering letting us see the hour of the Mobile Suit in its chaotic deastating glory makes me quite giddy as a mecha anime fan.

Deacon Blues

Zeonista wrote:
Is there an "Alan Smitty" or other generic fill-in name for Japanese directors? Besides that Yatate fellow, I mean. ;) I am all in favor of a ridiculous mobile ship battle, since per Tomino that was exactly how Loum was fought. The thought that Sunrise is considering letting us see the hour of the Mobile Suit in its chaotic deastating glory makes me quite giddy as a mecha anime fan.
I'm all for ship battles but when their movements defy the laws of physics is when things get a bit ridiculous and disconnect happens.
LightningCount

Watched episodes 1-3. This is a fantastic series, and I do believe it really enhances the original 0079 series. It's a lot better than Iron-Blooded Orphans, IMO, and better than Unicorn, as well, in terms of how it uses its time and how it sets a stage. There are points where this series' tone goes a little too goofy or fast-forwards too quickly through an event, but by and large, it works great. (As an aside, there are scenes that seem to suggest Char has Jedi-like Newtype powers staring at people, which I didn't get, and which I also felt were jarring.) I am a little surprised that it didn't better establish the Minovsky particle stuff, though, considering it bothered to have Minovsky himself in the proceedings. That's a disappointment. Anyway, I'm not necessarily sure it needs to go on to redo the original series, though. It's already given people sufficient reason to revisit the series and the Universal Century as it is. But I could go either way with that.

And was it just me, or was the Char basketball scene a backward reference to Gundam Wing's scene with Heero on the court? Even if that was in the manga, that still would have been after Gundam Wing. I found that amusing. Speaking of which, this really makes me want to see Gundam Wing get a six-part treatment of its "Origin." Use the unproduced Episode Zero scripts as a base--which were pretty rich in meaningful content despite some odd moments--and do one episode for each pilot and one for Zechs. In the course of those episodes, you could likely fit in the needed development/introductions of people like Treize, Noin, Relena, the Doctors, etc. (Also, after seeing Origin Part III, I'm curious about the story behind Zech's mask, and the sunshades prior to that. Do we know why he was allowed to break regs (or maybe there were no such regs)? Treize obviously covered for the mask bit as time went on given their relationship and standing in OZ, but before that, I'm curious. I'm not sure that any of the reworkings in Glory of the Losers or Frozen Teardrop have touched on that. Bottom line, if any series could use a background telling besides 0079, and would have both a potential strong audience for it as well as interesting, useful material to share, it's Wing.

But back to The Origin, I am curious to see what they do with Loum. Two episodes for a battle event? I have not had any detailed exposure to that story arc, and I wonder how well it will lead into the start of 0079's cast and setup. I haven't gotten to IV yet, but I'm also hoping we get info on Ramba ending up on Earth.

I guess the only issue with The Origin is, much like the Star Wars prequels, it sort of recasts the protagonist. 0079 is almost Char's story now. Maybe that's not such a bad thing, however, because it seems to give more thematic punch from the beginning, and makes Amuro's emergence all the more significant.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
False Prophet

Anyone here have the date which Amuro and his father moved to space? Is it before or after loum?
Zeonista

LightningCount wrote:Watched episodes 1-3. This is a fantastic series, and I do believe it really enhances the original 0079 series.
Definitly!
There are points where this series' tone goes a little too goofy or fast-forwards too quickly through an event, but by and large, it works great. (As an aside, there are scenes that seem to suggest Char has Jedi-like Newtype powers staring at people, which I didn't get, and which I also felt were jarring.)
The shift back and forth in tone is truthful to the manga, and probably seems more abrupt due to the stories covering more in-universe time per episode. Still, the original anime had those abrupt shifts of tone as well. The Newtype esper ability is difficult to convey since it does not use sci-fi hugger-mugger to indicate powers in use. the audience must remember that Char, like all Newtypes, can be a lot more aware of specific people and places than the usual person.
I am a little surprised that it didn't better establish the Minovsky particle stuff, though, considering it bothered to have Minovsky himself in the proceedings.
In all honesty, there is just not enough time in the OAV episodes to do the particle theory and development justice. The average Japanese anime fan knows all about that stuff already, and if they don't know the details are only a mouse-click away. Just pmentally plug in what is known at the beginning of the original series, and keep in mind that the ZMF knows more than the EFF, which is playing catch-up.
I am curious to see what they do with Loum. Two episodes for a battle event? I have not had any detailed exposure to that story arc, and I wonder how well it will lead into the start of 0079's cast and setup. I haven't gotten to IV yet, but I'm also hoping we get info on Ramba ending up on Earth.
Loum is easily deserving of its own episode, since the battle was a watershed moment in the Universal Century, and as described by Tomino set the stage for the situation as op episode 1 otf the original TV series. I would hope that the next episode will cover Operation British, which the Origin manga handled in magnificent and moving fashion. Those chapters BTW also handled why Ral ended up on Earth. He criticized its purpose and necessity to Dozzle-sama directly, which cost him favor and resulted in him being sent to Earth. M'Quve dissed him with impunity from Odessa, showing how far the Blue Giant had fallen from favor.
0079 is almost Char's story now. Maybe that's not such a bad thing, however, because it seems to give more thematic punch from the beginning, and makes Amuro's emergence all the more significant.
As is should be, says this Zeonista! :lol: In all seriousness, the Origin story has a lot more to do with Char than Amuro, since the "why it happened" aspect has more to do with the lost heir of Zeon Zum Deikun than the neglected son of a Federation technocrat. The Origin prequel story shows the revenge scheme against the Zabis unfolding nicely, even as the Zabis prepare to dismember the Federation. Everything though is about to hit a massive and unforseen obstacle at SIde 7 though...

LightningCount

Thanks for the replies, Zeonista! I just remembered something else that has me curious. It looks like Kycilia Zabi's age has been changed. She's 24 in 0079 according to Mark Simmon's guide book from the early 2000s. The Origin anime starts its main story in 0068, which would put her at 11, which she clearly is not! Apparently the manga must have shifted the early timeline.
Spoiler
(Also, was Kycilia the one who killed the eldest Zabi brother? It seemed like it might have been her. I've been surprised by how ruthless she is, both in that act and against the Deikun kids, considering how she rails against Gihren later on for killing their father and actually seems to have a soft spot for Char near the very end of 0079--or maybe that latter scene was only in the movie version...I forget.)
PS: I, too, hope for a great telling of Operation British.

Oh, and new previews launched today for Loum: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... os/.109442
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Zeonista

I do suspect Kycilia's age has been changed, along with the ages of some other characters. Best not to ask a lady's true age, anyway. ;)

Boy that preview looked excellent. It will be another long wait...good thing I am usd to waiting! :lol: It looks like the Operation British story and Loum will be shoehorned in together, along with some Sayla & Amuro scenes to get them in perspective of concurrent events. I can deal with that, since the second closely followed on the first. Plus there will be more of that Ranba-Hamon romance for we sentimental types. All in all it will be a very full video!

zetatype

LightningCount wrote:Thanks for the replies, Zeonista! I just remembered something else that has me curious. It looks like Kycilia Zabi's age has been changed. She's 24 in 0079 according to Mark Simmon's guide book from the early 2000s. The Origin anime starts its main story in 0068, which would put her at 11, which she clearly is not! Apparently the manga must have shifted the early timeline.
Spoiler
(Also, was Kycilia the one who killed the eldest Zabi brother? It seemed like it might have been her. I've been surprised by how ruthless she is, both in that act and against the Deikun kids, considering how she rails against Gihren later on for killing their father and actually seems to have a soft spot for Char near the very end of 0079--or maybe that latter scene was only in the movie version...I forget.)
Spoiler
it's never flat-out revealed who killed him although both the anime and manga seem to imply that she was the one who killed him. Plus when the car exploded she was the only one who didn't seem surprised by it and even Ghiren was surprised by the explosion.

Kycilia is notably more ruthless in the origins than her original anime counterpart. In the origins she leaked Degwin's plans to meet with the federation fleet to Ghiren knowing that Gihren would most likely kill him. She did this so that she would have the perfect excuse to kill Ghiren without risking a mutiny.

The Origin's version of Kycilia is arguably just as ruthless as Ghiren.
Amion

I don't appreciate Kycilia's more ruthless interpretation, then. One of the best things about the Zabis to me was how mostly human they were. Right now, only poor Dozzle has escaped with any inkling of humanity in tact. (Ignoring Garma, who gets it)

Kycilia's talk with Char indicated she had a softer side, one that kind of reminded me of Mineva, for some reason. It lent depth into her and Char's past, which is now changed... that gave her a more human light. Turning her into the real schemer just seems like poor drama for the sake of it. Not that it's impossible or unlikely in a realistic sense, of course. But even so...
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
LightningCount

Amion wrote:I don't appreciate Kycilia's more ruthless interpretation, then. One of the best things about the Zabis to me was how mostly human they were. Right now, only poor Dozzle has escaped with any inkling of humanity in tact. (Ignoring Garma, who gets it)

Kycilia's talk with Char indicated she had a softer side, one that kind of reminded me of Mineva, for some reason. It lent depth into her and Char's past, which is now changed... that gave her a more human light. Turning her into the real schemer just seems like poor drama for the sake of it. Not that it's impossible or unlikely in a realistic sense, of course. But even so...
Amion, I agree on this. There is a lot I like about The Origin, but this new take on Kycilia doesn't totally jive with me. That's part of why I don't know if all of 0079 should be redone in this style (I especially don't like hearing above that she helps bring about her father's end in this telling). That being said, from what has happened so far, I could still see her evolving into who she becomes later, I suppose. I mean, at this point, she's just trying to assert herself in a largely cutthroat, all-business family. And her youth combined with the outright abuse from her eldest brother could explain the parade plot she seemingly carried out in Episode 1. However, I'm still debating with myself whether or not she would have been the one to accidentally kill off the real Char. On the other hand...maybe her later sympathy for the man we know as Char is a sign of respect for him having made it as far as he had despite her early attempts, combined with her mellowing with age and successes/failures of her own. I thought her protection of the Deikun kids and their mother early in Episode 1 was fairly in-character. I have mixed feelings, but on the whole, I still think The Origin anime has been an effective anime entry so far. It's been a while since I've enjoyed watching a Gundam entry this much.
nickh46

If I remembered correctly Lightning Count, whatever age they were stated to be in the original 0079, is roughly their Origin age in US 0068 (when Episode 1 starts up). It's pretty collaborates well in the Casval 0057 Origin side stories in Vol 12, where Dozle is a punk in high school, Kycilia is a little grade schooler, Gihren has a rat tail mullet, etc etc.
Spoiler
Now that I think of it, if she did indeed kill Sasro (which it's seriously implied she did), then it was really her that started this entire chain of misery, and already started racking up the Karma tab. Which makes her Head-blown-off death so much more fitting.
LightningCount wrote:Thanks for the replies, Zeonista! I just remembered something else that has me curious. It looks like Kycilia Zabi's age has been changed. She's 24 in 0079 according to Mark Simmon's guide book from the early 2000s. The Origin anime starts its main story in 0068, which would put her at 11, which she clearly is not! Apparently the manga must have shifted the early timeline.
Spoiler
PS: I, too, hope for a great telling of Operation British.

Oh, and new previews launched today for Loum: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... os/.109442