The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
balofo

The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

Spring 2015. Only 4 movies for all the manga's original flashback :cry:
「機動戦士ガンダム THE ORIGIN I 青い瞳のキャスバル」は、安彦良和氏が手がけたコミックスのアニメ化。後に赤い彗星と呼ばれることになるキャスバルとその妹アルテイシアの物語を全4話で描く「シャア・セイラ^編」をイベント上映形式で予定している。
PV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzMo9sV_T-c
Last edited by balofo on Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
battletech

Re: The Origin will be only 4 movies that cover Char's child

So it's Mobile Suit Gundam Origins: Char Aznable?
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
darkhunger

Re: The Origin will be only 4 movies that cover Char's child

balofo wrote:HYPE IS DEAD!

After this copout I'm thinking of dropping Gundam altogether...

That CG Guntank...
What, not gonna check out Tomino's new Gundam series? Gundam's not quite dead just yet!
battletech wrote:So it's Mobile Suit Gundam Origins: Char Aznable?
The first movie will be an animated version of the manga's Casval flashback arc (which is the only original story arc in the manga). I doubt the entire 4 movies will be about their past.
balofo

Re: The Origin I: 4 movies that cover Char and Sayla's backs

1979年TV放送された、日本ロボットアニメの金字塔『機動戦士ガンダム』。そのキャラクターデザイン・アニメーションディレクターの安彦良和が手掛けた、累計発行部数1,000万部を誇る大ヒットコミックス『機動戦士ガンダム THE ORIGIN』が、ついにアニメ化!!
 シャア・アズナブル ―― のちにジオン公国軍のエースパイロット『赤い彗星』と呼ばれる男と、セイラ・マス ―― 彼の妹の運命を決定づけた悲劇と過去とは!?
 スペースノイドの指導者であった父ジオン・ダイクンの急逝がもたらした、2人の兄妹の流転の物語を全4話で描いていく『シャア・セイラ編』―― その物語がイベント上映形式で公開されます。
 サイド3の実権を掌握しジオン公国を統率するザビ家、一年戦争で活躍した数々のジオン軍の名高きエースパイロットたちの若き日の勇姿、モビルスーツ開発秘話、地球連邦軍との軋轢、開戦への道程も明かされていきます。
Going by this the only MS action we're gonna see is:
-Char and the Black Tristars(in Zaku Is) and Rambal Ral(in MS-04) VS 12 Guntank prototypes
-Battle of Loum

Hopefully it won't be all CGI...
Kratos

Yeah, because it's not like the rest of THE ORIGIN is encapsulated in a massively popular classic anime already. And it's not like 99% of the rest of that animation was gorgeous, or anything.

Oh wait. Both of those are actually true.

Seriously, it was always a possibility that ORIGIN would just adapt the backstory - ie, the only major part if it NOT already animated. I think it's cool that we're getting this.

As for what it will include, the original content flashback bit takes place across 3 hardcover volumes (so six paperback) and spans 11 years. It's mostly focused on Char and Sayla, including their childhood and Char's time with Garma in the Academy and his first meeting with Lalah, but there's a bit with the Side 7 people as well. Plenty to fit into 4 episodes, even if they're Unicorn length.
Last edited by Kratos on Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Xenosynth

HYPE IS DEAD!

After this copout I'm thinking of dropping Gundam altogether...

That CG Guntank...
If... you are saying stuff like that you must not be a very big Gundam fan, given that there have been plenty of shittier things Sunrise/Bandai have done with it. Dropping a franchise for something so insignificant seems... weird O_o Maybe it's just sarcasm/hyperbole and I'm not catching on.

Anyway, only one out of the four parts is gonna probably be the past, yes. I hope we get to see the MS-01-MS-04 development at some point too.
Last edited by Xenosynth on Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
balofo

MS-01-MS-04 development is already confirmed to appear

No mecha action kills it for me, at this rate even if Loum is animated and given lots of budget it won't happen until 2017...
Kratos

balofo wrote:MS-01-MS-04 development is already confirmed to appear

No mecha action kills it for me, at this rate even if Loum is animated and given lots of budget it won't happen until 2017...
Suck it up. Gundam is a human story too.

There are plenty of new mecha-centered things to cover you until Loum, Gundam and otherwise. If you don't like a good character driven story and need explosions and robots to enjoy your Gundam, then, fine, this OVA isn't for you. Let those of us who enjoy this stuff talk about rather than just complaining.
balofo

Kratos wrote:
balofo wrote:MS-01-MS-04 development is already confirmed to appear

Suck it up. Gundam is a human story too.

There are plenty of new mecha-centered things to cover you until Loum, Gundam and otherwise. If you don't like a good character driven story and need explosions and robots to enjoy your Gundam, then, fine, this OVA isn't for you. Let those of us who enjoy this stuff talk about rather than just complaining.
He watches mecha anime for the PLOT!

laughingwhores.jpg
darkhunger

Your expectations were way too high balofo. Kind of set yourself up for disappointment.

IMO the trailer looks amazing, and as a Gundam anime the mecha action will definitely be there. Sunrise ain't stupid.

Plus the sypnosis says they story will follow the Casval/Saylas story in all four parts. It does not say it will spend four episodes on their past as you are assuming.
Destiny_Gundam

I was pretty meh on The Origin before because I didn't think First Gundam needed a complete re-tell. So I'm all for them just covering the new, unexplored content.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
balofo

How can you guys even cope with not being able to watch things like the Gouf and the Texas Colony duels in modern animation??!?!?!?

Also all those delicious redesigns like Char's Gelgoog having the High Mobility Type backpack and the Jager's Beam Machinegun that will never get kits...

Instead we get a full 50 ep series of Overman Gundam with ATROCIOUS MS design
Kratos

Because lots of people DO watch Gundam for the story. There's nothing wrong with enjoying the mechanical side, and I'd love to see all that animated, but (as was brought up in that thread about ORIGIN and sales) it's a question of how many people will pay to see a show they've already seen with nicer animation. Probably a lot, but maybe not enough. This approach guarantees lower cost, less risk, AND entirely new content.
Gundam420

balofo wrote:How can you guys even cope with not being able to watch things like the Gouf and the Texas Colony duels in modern animation??!?!?!?

Also all those delicious redesigns like Char's Gelgoog having the High Mobility Type backpack and the Jager's Beam Machinegun that will never get kits...

Okay seriously dude, you're sounding like a Youtube commenter. Chill out! These are just trailers. We won't even know what else the Origin retelling will have in store. It's stupid to just blindly assume that something will be bad based on nothing. And who so what if Overman Gundam has funky mech designs? Turn A had em, and but it also had a good story and characters.
PSN: (Japan Account) gundaminator
balofo

Gundam420 wrote:
balofo wrote:How can you guys even cope with not being able to watch things like the Gouf and the Texas Colony duels in modern animation??!?!?!?

Okay seriously dude, you're sounding like a Youtube commenter. Chill out! These are just trailers. We won't even know what else the Origin retelling will have in store. It's stupid to just blindly assume that something will be bad based on nothing. And who so what if Overman Gundam has funky mech designs? Turn A had em, and but it also had a good story and characters.
Kid, we already know exactly what we're getting for the Origin movies: the flashback from the mangas vols 9 to 14. If I wanted to see the flashback story I can just read the manga :D

Also implying I hate the Turn A designs, LOL.
HellCat

I see someone still has a self entitlement streak...

I echo that I can't really get too upset here because The Origin is ultimately a retelling of the story we've had since the very beginning. Putting this first to me suggests Sunrise knew that too and decided if they were going to animate it they were best following Yas comments that th Origin us Char's story over Amuro's.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
ZeonsSilverStar

Well I'm excited. Been on a big Origin trip lately so this was just the sort of thing I've been waiting for. Don't really like that 2015 date but I figure it's worth the wait.
''Do you always have to stare at me like I just drowned your goldfish?'' Xigbar
Gundam420

balofo wrote:
Gundam420 wrote:

Kid, we already know exactly what we're getting for the Origin movies: the flashback from the mangas vols 9 to 14. If I wanted to see the flashback story I can just read the manga :D

Also implying I hate the Turn A designs, LOL.
I love how you automatically assume you know how old I am, because apparently age determines whether or not your opinion is valid. That's a pretty childish thing to assume. Again, we only have less than a minute worth of footage. That doesn't tell us everything. It's called wait-and-see. Of course it's easier to just take the troll rage approach. Why bother thinking right?

As for the Turn A hate, you definitely came across that way so how should I know.
PSN: (Japan Account) gundaminator
balofo

Welp, having to wait until 2017 for the Zeon Aces vs Proto Guncannons short battle and then until 2018 IF they do Loum at all...
Kratos

True, they may not, at least not in the sense if an Igloo-style huge battle. As I recall, the battle itself wasn't given much focus on a grand scale in the manga - just Char's specific moments. There's combat, but not a lot, and I don't have my volumes on hand to check.