The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
monster

Re: The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

Kenji wrote:True, what I just outlined shows there were greater problems than the retread, but that sense that I've been here before certainly didn't help.
Interesting. As for me, there were just too many differences between the respective shows to have that sense of "I've been here before."
HellCat

I think AGE could have made better use of the 'three generations' concept to feel like a unique Gundam epic. There was a loose 1950s style to the Flit arc but overall I never really got the feel this was a passing century in a time well ahead of our own. Especially not with that even now somewhat backwards Japanese sexism over everything. If they'd put someone better in charge it really could have been something great that borrowed some familiar Gundam elements while doing something fans had never seen before.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Amion

HellCat wrote:I think AGE could have made better use of the 'three generations' concept to feel like a unique Gundam epic. There was a loose 1950s style to the Flit arc but overall I never really got the feel this was a passing century in a time well ahead of our own. Especially not with that even now somewhat backwards Japanese sexism over everything. If they'd put someone better in charge it really could have been something great that borrowed some familiar Gundam elements while doing something fans had never seen before.

But alas...
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Kenji

monster wrote:Interesting. As for me, there were just too many differences between the respective shows to have that sense of "I've been here before."
Then I'd have to (without irony or malice) call you lucky. It's something I have a hard time getting over, and so I can't really judge such series on their own merits (that is, SEED, Destiny, and AGE). 00 S2 was the only one I watched through, 'cuz I was so invested in the 00 world.

For example, I've heard people talk about how AGE turned out, but I can't honestly say anything about it, myself. I am disappointed in how I hear the "alien" angle turned out, 'cuz I did want Awakening of the Trailblazer to inaugurate a new paradigm in Gundam, much like the sexy, sexy Exia design. Not that the result was inherently uninteresting, mind y'all, but I was imagining something that didn't turn out to be so. And it didn't do favors for my disinterest in the show.

Again, a shame, because as brought up, the idea of a whole century to play within a four-coul show should've opened up tons of possibilities and the ability to showcase new, trailblazing ideas for Gundam that would still remain recognizably Gundam.

C'est la vie, right? Every show can't be for everyone, which is why it's nice to be excited again. :)
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."
balofo

http://www.gundam.info/topic/10800

So we're alreaqdy getting Loum?\

MSes in CG...
HellCat

Huh. Isn't that the RG Zaku design?

Was kinda hoping we'd get to see the redesigns Okawara did for the comic.
balofo

RX-65 Guntank Early Type
BrentD15

Cicero Zabi (I refuse to call him "Sazro" XP) getting animated? Cool.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Kratos

There's no way サスロ could possibly be read as Cicero, though, and that's his name in Japanese. It's not like it's the first time a Zabi has had a weird name.

Anyways, this is a little bit disappointing. Unless this is also teasing future episodes, or the first one jumps around in time, we're a fairly truncated version of the story. So much for slow-burning personal/political intrigue :/
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Heaven Piercing Man

Cicero is "kikero" in moonrunes, typical Japanese custom of turning soft Cs into Ks.
PowerdGNFlag

For the record, サスロ romanizes to sasuro, while the Roman name Cicero is キケロ.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
toysdream

Heaven Piercing Man wrote:Cicero is "kikero" in moonrunes, typical Japanese custom of turning soft Cs into Ks.
Apparently this is also closer to the original pronunciation. It's actually us English-speakers who are pronouncing all these Greek and Latin names wrong. :-)

-- Mark
HellCat

Kratos wrote:There's no way サスロ could possibly be read as Cicero, though, and that's his name in Japanese. It's not like it's the first time a Zabi has had a weird name.

Anyways, this is a little bit disappointing. Unless this is also teasing future episodes, or the first one jumps around in time, we're a fairly truncated version of the story. So much for slow-burning personal/political intrigue :/
The first thing that comes to mind for me is maybe the story is told in flashback. We open with the battle, Char is a bad ass and as his Zaku speeds towards it's next target he's thinking about how things got so messed up....fade out, then back in to the 'Char and Sayla' content. Hence they could expand it over multiple episodes and either bookend the series with OYW Char each side or jump back and forth, Char and/or Sayla thinking back as they encounter modern day events linked to what happened in the past.
Calubin_175

They're syaing it will take 4 episodes to cover the Char and Sayla's story before the war, so I guess Loum will be in the latter half.

CG, CG everywhere. This will be the first Gundam anime wto use full CGI for MS. It looks nowhere as good as Macross Frontier or Valvrave. Maybe it is due to the fact that are just too many panel lines, and the high detailed realism that the MS are trying to depict doesn't blend well with the unrealistic 2D environment.

Salamis looks really retro, its proportions has regressed from MS Igloo even back to beyond 1979 style.

It appears that all the MS designs maybe refined, so not pure Origin ones. 1/144 semi-RG Origin line?
Deacon Blues

Hey, maybe this is why Frozen Teardrop has degraded in quality! Katsuyuki Sumisawa is working on the scenario for the Origin! LOL!
Heaven Piercing Man

Deacon Blues wrote:Hey, maybe this is why Frozen Teardrop has degraded in quality! Katsuyuki Sumisawa is working on the scenario for the Origin! LOL!
Gundam The Origin with nanomachines :mrgreen:
Dark Duel

Deacon Blues wrote:Hey, maybe this is why Frozen Teardrop has degraded in quality! Katsuyuki Sumisawa is working on the scenario for the Origin! LOL!
Wait, FT had quality at some point?
I was under the impression based on what I've been able to find that it was always a terrible story.

W/e. Not the place for that discussion.

Personally, the "Char & Sayla" volume of The Origin was, by far, the most interesting IMO. So I AM pretty psyched for this, just as I'm psyched for the release of the next volume of Vertical's translation of the manga, which comes out exactly one week after my B-Day.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Erisie

Staff confirmed

GundamInfo posted the anime's staff together with the new images:

General Manager: Yoshikazu Yasuhiko

Director: Takashi Imanishi

Screenplay: Katsuyuki Sumisawa

Character Design: Yoshikazu Yasuhiko, Tsukasa Kotobuki

Mechanical Design: Hajime Katoki, Kimitoshi Yamane, Mika Akitaka, Junichi Akutsu

Music: Takayuki Hattori

Unit Director: Kiyoshi Egami, Ichiro Itano
Chief Animation Director: Hiroyuki Nishimura
Mechanical Chief Animation Director: Takuya Suzuki
Art Director: Shigemi Ikeda, Yukiko Maruyama
Color Design: Nagisa Abe
Director of Photography: Takeshi Katsurayama
Editing: Masato Yoshitake
Sound Director: Sadayoshi Fujino

Production: Sunrise
Last edited by Erisie on Sat May 17, 2014 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
gunform1010

Heaven Piercing Man wrote:
Gundam The Origin with nanomachines :mrgreen:
NO >:|
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
Dark Duel

One other thing.
HellCat wrote:Huh. Isn't that the RG Zaku design?
No, it's not. A close examination of that image compared to the lineart image of the RG Char's Zaku shows easily noticeable differences, most notably:

1. It's actually red; every other depiction of Char's Zaku up to this point, including the RG, had the same color scheme as depicted in the original series, which is, as Donut would say, "lightish red". Or in other words, pink.

2. It's a much cleaner design than the RG Char Zaku II, which like all RG designs has got extraneous panel lines all over the friggin' place and a patchwork of different shades of, in this case, pink.

3. Look closely at the torso; notice the presence of those two narrow vent-looking things on either side mid-torso, which is present only on The Origin's Zaku II*, and absent on the RG Char's Zaku II.

4. Upper torso, to either side of the head. Those little circular bits are also present only on the Zakus shown in The Origin*, and I believe they are vulcan-class guns, looking at my manga

See the two side-by-side. Obviously, RG on the left, Origin ver. on the right.

[*There are apparently two slightly different versions of the Zaku II in The Origin; One, which is the one depicted here, has two small three-barreled machineguns on its upper torso, two narrow vents about mid-torso to either side. The other lacks those features; it has a single torso-mounted machinegun on the left side, and two anti-infantry guns on each forearm. I'm not sure why two different variants; perhaps one is a newer model - maybe Mark might know more]
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."