The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
tHeWasTeDYouTh

Re: The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

Deacon Blues wrote:I worry that the Battle of Loum arc will have a ship line up like that shown in MS IGLOO (which just seems so very wrong)...

Zenna is voiced by Ai Kayano
yeah that would be pretty lame, also I was checking some of the old gundam files and it says that in the battle of Loum the federation only had 90 Saberfish fighters. Zeon deployed 400 Gattle fighters so even if MS did not exist the Federation was in a disadvantage
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
zetatype

Amion wrote:He must have lost respect after seeing his father grieve for his son. Weakness will be preyed upon, and all that.
It probably happened way before Garma's death

In the Origin, Degwin wanted to avoid a war with the Federation as much as possible, and Gihren would have no doubt seen his as weakness. Also, this takes four years before the OYW. Degwin probably had more power at this point in time compared to later on when he's been reduced to little more than a figure head.
nickh46

I watched the Youtube panel for this weekend's Origin III premiere in London and the translator said "if it all goes well, there may be opportunities for us to remake the First Gundam, but we first have to see how it goes and we need your support."

Writing was on the wall and I saw this coming a mile away. The entire 4 OVA announcement was, as I expected, a pilot program just test the waters without committing yourself fully to a whole 0079 series (because doing that commits resources, opportunity cost, and increases reputational risk if it doesn't work out).

Now that they have the CGI, assets, infrastructure, and logistics in place, combined with very positive feedback, they're leveraging the momentum by announcing the Loum campaign, and hinting at a full storyline.

From my personal perspective (now that I'm done with grad/B-school and now work as a consultant, among my duties helping clients in rolling out a new product and marketing strategy), this was the rational course of action.
Dark Duel

That, and as we have seen just with these prequel OVAs, it's that much more opportunity for them to sell Gunpla by shoehorning in even more MS than what was in the manga to begin with.
Still, I ain't gonna complain. For all that I think the One-Year War has been done to death many times over, I really did genuinely enjoy reading The Origin, so looking forward to seeing more of it animated.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Deacon Blues

Well, the good news about that presentation:

- A full picture of the colony drop depicted in detail

That's what I've been waiting 15 years to see @_@

Also of note: They're not done with the Loum episodes just yet. They haven't edited the colony drop scene as of that panel.

My only hope is that it's more detailed than Unicorn's depiction as well as the 0081 game depiction of the drop. I hope we get to see the buildings get blown apart and what not instead of the "flash".
abaoaqu

nickh46 wrote:I watched the Youtube panel for this weekend's Origin III premiere in London and the translator said "if it all goes well, there may be opportunities for us to remake the First Gundam, but we first have to see how it goes and we need your support."

Writing was on the wall and I saw this coming a mile away. The entire 4 OVA announcement was, as I expected, a pilot program just test the waters without committing yourself fully to a whole 0079 series (because doing that commits resources, opportunity cost, and increases reputational risk if it doesn't work out).

Now that they have the CGI, assets, infrastructure, and logistics in place, combined with very positive feedback, they're leveraging the momentum by announcing the Loum campaign, and hinting at a full storyline.

From my personal perspective (now that I'm done with grad/B-school and now work as a consultant, among my duties helping clients in rolling out a new product and marketing strategy), this was the rational course of action.
I don't believe it. After it was revealed that the CG snippet recreating the activation of the Gundam on Side 7 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D32reoeJtos ) was nothing more than a Gunpla commercial, I've pretty much dismissed any talk of an animated update of 0079.

Astro Boy, Yatterman, and Space Battleship Yamato were able to get updated, but I think the original story has too much "holy ground" to touch.
Сиг Зион!
Omnislayer

abaoaqu wrote:
nickh46 wrote:I watched the Youtube panel for this weekend's Origin III premiere in London and the translator said "if it all goes well, there may be opportunities for us to remake the First Gundam, but we first have to see how it goes and we need your support."

I don't believe it. After it was revealed that the CG snippet recreating the activation of the Gundam on Side 7 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D32reoeJtos ) was nothing more than a Gunpla commercial, I've pretty much dismissed any talk of an animated update of 0079.

Astro Boy, Yatterman, and Space Battleship Yamato were able to get updated, but I think the original story has too much "holy ground" to touch.
I disagree, I'd be very surprised if they didn't do it at this point.
PSN- blackatt66
Steam- omni_slayer
Amion

While I cringe at the thought of CGI taking away traditional animation, especially since I've not been pleased at all with how it's been handled or meshed into Origin's beautiful animation thus far, a full-fledge animated adaption of The Origin would be pleasing to no end. Who knows, we may even get a glorious remaster of Z Gundam, impossible and completely unnecessary as that is.

At any rate, I've not enjoyed a Gundam title this much since... probably my first viewings of MSG and Zeta. So yes, the nostalgia button is already pressed down hard, why should Bandai take its hand away now?
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Admiral Larsen

I don't know if I can show this but there was some very interesting news: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... iv/.103161
Dustman

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ed/.104782

So it seems like they recast Lalah for Origin IV with Saori Hayami (Yurin, Aila).

On one hand, I feel pretty bad for Keiko Han since she's already been kicked out of another iconic role by Sailor Moon Crystal. However, since Megumi Han is now voicing Sayla and Lalah's supposed to be even younger than her and becomes Char's [insert twisted psychosexual interpretation here]... yeah, it's probably for the best. In all honesty, this is still going to be easier to adapt to than Kenta Miyake as Dozle, whose efforts are fabulous but mired for me by the knowledge of Daisuke Gori's passing.

It's sobering to think about just how much we should probably cherish this series as possibly being Ikeda and Furuya's last major performances as Char and Amuro. Between this and that sendoff in Unicorn, I've got this gut feeling that Sunrise is genuinely prepared to retire their characters. No side stories, no more sequels; the kind of thing where all that needs to be is already in animated form with extended media to fill in the blanks. Maybe I'm just speaking from my own sense of romanticism but whether it ends at Loum or at A Baoa Qu, there's nothing that is unappealing about having the actors be able to leave on their own terms, with grace and dignity and at a point that their contributions should feel so utterly complete.

....ah crap, that reminds me: has anybody heard anything new about Masashi Hirose? :/
Deathzealot

Hmmm...

Well I just sat down watched Origin III and I must say is it just me or does Origin really make Char into a monster. First, he does the whole switch with the Real Char which ends up getting the guy killed due to the Zabi Family blowing up the transport. And while we never really see Char's reaction to it. It is implied Char believed something was up as they are walking in the Spaceport. Not to mention Char's interest in the Zeon Academy Invite and travel papers. Then we get the Dawn Rebellion which sees Char getting his old Roommate Lino killed via friendly fire thanks to Lino somehow finding out his true identity. Then Char doesn't look to regret doing that at all after it happened. Gah.
Dark Duel

Deathzealot wrote:Well I just sat down watched Origin III and I must say is it just me or does Origin really make Char into a monster?
I haven't seen an Origin movie since the first one, myself. Really need to somehow remedy that. That being said...

...It's not just you. Origin-Casval is a complete and utter bastard and more or less always has been.
Of course, Char/Casval/Whatever-his-name-is-this-week has always been a bastard to some extent, as well as petty and self-centered. But Origin dials it way up.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Chris
Administrator

Deathzealot wrote:Well I just sat down watched Origin III and I must say is it just me or does Origin really make Char into a monster. First, he does the whole switch with the Real Char which ends up getting the guy killed due to the Zabi Family blowing up the transport. And while we never really see Char's reaction to it. It is implied Char believed something was up as they are walking in the Spaceport. Not to mention Char's interest in the Zeon Academy Invite and travel papers. Then we get the Dawn Rebellion which sees Char getting his old Roommate Lino killed via friendly fire thanks to Lino somehow finding out his true identity. Then Char doesn't look to regret doing that at all after it happened. Gah.
I don't know that he's a "monster" at this point, but he is a sociopath willing to do whatever it takes to achieve his goals. If he's cold enough to kill Garma, who thought of him as a friend, and feel absolutely nothing about it, that has to come from somewhere.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
BrentD15

Chris wrote:
Deathzealot wrote:Well I just sat down watched Origin III and I must say is it just me or does Origin really make Char into a monster. First, he does the whole switch with the Real Char which ends up getting the guy killed due to the Zabi Family blowing up the transport. And while we never really see Char's reaction to it. It is implied Char believed something was up as they are walking in the Spaceport. Not to mention Char's interest in the Zeon Academy Invite and travel papers. Then we get the Dawn Rebellion which sees Char getting his old Roommate Lino killed via friendly fire thanks to Lino somehow finding out his true identity. Then Char doesn't look to regret doing that at all after it happened. Gah.
I don't know that he's a "monster" at this point, but he is a sociopath willing to do whatever it takes to achieve his goals. If he's cold enough to kill Garma, who thought of him as a friend, and feel absolutely nothing about it, that has to come from somewhere.
Y'know, it just occurred to me.
Char's betrayal of Garma was more like an act against Degwin, and Garma was just a pawn to Char.
What better way to get revenge against your father's murderer than to dispose of his favorite son? :twisted:

Kinda reminds me of Khan from Star Trek, who wished to hurt Kirk by hurting those closest to him.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
zetatype

Deathzealot wrote:Hmmm...

Well I just sat down watched Origin III and I must say is it just me or does Origin really make Char into a monster. First, he does the whole switch with the Real Char which ends up getting the guy killed due to the Zabi Family blowing up the transport. And while we never really see Char's reaction to it. It is implied Char believed something was up as they are walking in the Spaceport. Not to mention Char's interest in the Zeon Academy Invite and travel papers. Then we get the Dawn Rebellion which sees Char getting his old Roommate Lino killed via friendly fire thanks to Lino somehow finding out his true identity. Then Char doesn't look to regret doing that at all after it happened. Gah.
I think its safer to assume Casval had every intention of having the original Char killed off otherwise he wouldn't have a cover. Kinda hard to impersonate someone that's still alive and heading to the same academy. This was planned even before he and Char made it to the spaceport. He knew that the Zabi's were monitoring him and knew they would have him killed if he tried to head for Side 3.

Edit: And to add the cherry on top, when he is reunited with Salya in the remains of the Texas colony he claims that the death of the original Char was never his intention which is basically Char lying through his teeth.

As for the subplot with his roommate. Personally I enjoyed it, but at the same time I supposed one could argue its an unnecessary change the anime made since switching places with the original Char would have been enough to show the audience that Casval/Char is a sociopath.
Deathzealot wrote: Y'know, it just occurred to me.
Char's betrayal of Garma was more like an act against Degwin, and Garma was just a pawn to Char.
What better way to get revenge against your father's murderer than to dispose of his favorite son? :twisted:

Kinda reminds me of Khan from Star Trek, who wished to hurt Kirk by hurting those closest to him.
Pretty much
The whole "Blame this on the misfortune of your birth" line that Char utters is pretty telling, IMO.
Amion

While I agree Char is a sociopath if ever there was one, I somehow feel like the death of the genuine Char wasn't quite so evil an act. He came across as a fanatic who could easily become the equivalent to a German SS, someone that betrayed all of Zeon's ideals.

And we all know what Char does to gravity-trapped souls. :twisted:

He beats them over the head with meteors.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
LightningCount

Gundam The Origin Episodes 1-3 Streaming for FREE in English on Daisuki from "November 18, 12:00pm (JST) until December 17, 11:59 (JST)." http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... mited-time
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
nickh46

Episode 5 (Clash - The Battle of Loum) will be released Fall 2017, and Episode 6 (Birth of the Red Comet) will be released 2018.

This is quite different from the 6-month delay between episodes, which means there's basically one logical hypothesis: they're buying time to gear assets and production up to do a full series once the Loum is over, for a release during the 40th year anniversary in 2019.
Chris
Administrator

nickh46 wrote:Episode 5 (Clash - The Battle of Loum) will be released Fall 2017, and Episode 6 (Birth of the Red Comet) will be released 2018.

This is quite different from the 6-month delay between episodes, which means there's basically one logical hypothesis: they're buying time to gear assets and production up to do a full series once the Loum is over, for a release during the 40th year anniversary in 2019.
No, I wouldn't assume this at all. When Unicorn was extended to seven episodes, it resulted in a long delay as production shifted to accommodate the extra episode. Origin was announced as four episodes, and increasing that to six means changing production schedules. If the studio behind Origin was originally going to work on something else after Origin, that work has to be reassigned, etc.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
domino

How are Char and Lalah talking to each other via a display console while he's in the midst of mobile suit combat?

Shouldn't that be impossible due to the density of Minovsky particles from the adjacent ships and mobile suits?