The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Calubin_175

Re: The Origin I: 4 movies that cover Char and Sayla's backs

WTH, so it will take 10 years to finish all of Origin? So Origin I for 2 years ish and then who knows. They are going for the perpetual long term OVA format like Unicorn but even longer.
Kratos

Calubin_175 wrote:WTH, so it will take 10 years to finish all of Origin? So Origin I for 2 years ish and then who knows. They are going for the perpetual long term OVA format like Unicorn but even longer.
Not sure where you're getting that. We have no idea what the release schedule is going to look like, but I seriously doubt it will be ten years (or even Unicorn's 4).
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Calubin_175

It is hard to tell.

We are not sure whether Origin I Aoi hitomi no Casval exclusively refers to episode 1, or whether episode 2 will still be referred to as Origin I or II....

Maybe, Origin I Aoi hitomi no Casval is the title of the first episode and eventually a potential episode 5 will be titled Origin II to indicate a new arc.

It is just confusing as on youtube says Origin: episode 1 and not Origin I: episode 1. But it looks like the whole 4 episodes will be under the Origin I.

Don't forget the whole pre-Amuro's journey Casval flashback arc was about 4 volumes long.
Kratos

It's not really hard to tell.

There's nothing to suggest anything beyond these 4 episodes, or that the title "ORIGIN I" applies to anything but the first OVA, or that Banrise plans to drag this out for the next decade or any of that. Sure, anything is possible, but from what we know, it seems most likely that this will be restricted to the six volumes (3 hardcovers) that contain Yas' new content.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
HellCat

Crazy idea given the tone of the event- could this be a 4 part prologue to doing The One Year War part as a big 40th anniversary production?
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Chris
Administrator

balofo wrote:MS-01-MS-04 development is already confirmed to appear

No mecha action kills it for me, at this rate even if Loum is animated and given lots of budget it won't happen until 2017...
Honestly, you kind of have yourself to blame for hyping yourself up so much the last few months and not keeping your expectations in check. I'm personally glad that they're not retreading the stuff we already saw in the anime.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Zeonista

Re: The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

Wow, we really need some oxygen masks dropped on this thread. Look people, we are still getting the full Origin ride in 2015. However, Tomino-sama probably pulled rank, and Sunrise wants to make sure Unicorn finishes strong too. In the meantime, they toss us a bone with Char & Sayla "origin" story. Now take a breath and stop spouting conspiracy theories; next thing we know the disappearing Malaysian 777 will be linked to Origin production. :roll:
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
balofo

Chris wrote:
balofo wrote:MS-01-MS-04 development is already confirmed to appear

No mecha action kills it for me, at this rate even if Loum is animated and given lots of budget it won't happen until 2017...
Honestly, you kind of have yourself to blame for hyping yourself up so much the last few months and not keeping your expectations in check. I'm personally glad that they're not retreading the stuff we already saw in the anime.
Me and the majority of Gundam fans, right? :)

It must be a crime to want to see the OYW story in modern animation with the new designs and Yas' take on the events :)

Anyway, Bamco will lose loads of easy money and the 2ch is already raging, let's see where this goes!
AmuroNT1

Honestly, I had basically zero interest in Origin before when it looked like it was just going to be "Mobile Suit Gundam: Remastered". But the fact that they're doing something new with it is refreshing. One thing Gundam's been suffering a lot of lately is staleness, since a lot of the writers and directors seem to feel contractually obligated to keep doing the same plot points over and over (like the Lalah-style tragedy). What the franchise really needs are new ideas, and Build Fighters is a prime example.

Doing a flashback covering the life of probably the most popular character in the entire franchise is a pretty good idea, since it's just about guaranteed to print money. However, I do hope it doesn't fall into the same trap as the Star Wars prequels and end up pissing off fans by showing them that Char's youth wasn't everything they assumed it would be.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Andrew_Graruru

As someone who's main interest in Gundam is the setting and politics, and who was mainly interested in The Origin for this material, I'm pretty ecstatic about this news.

But c'mon guys, you gotta be pretty naive if you think this is all The Origin is gonna be. For one I just read volume 5 and I don't see it taking four films to adapt. For another the freakin' RX-78 was right there on display in the poster that was at the conference for The Origin. I think if this was really just the flashback material theyd be showing off just Char and Sayla or something instead.

It's all speculation in what form, but I'm sure we'll get the main 0079 plot reanimated. My guess would be the first movie is the flashback, with 2-4 being the main story in a similar structure to how we got the compilations films.
Check out my (awful) podcast. Anime Graruru.
balofo

AmuroNT1 wrote:Honestly, I had basically zero interest in Origin before when it looked like it was just going to be "Mobile Suit Gundam: Remastered". But the fact that they're doing something new with it is refreshing. One thing Gundam's been suffering a lot of lately is staleness, since a lot of the writers and directors seem to feel contractually obligated to keep doing the same plot points over and over (like the Lalah-style tragedy). What the franchise really needs are new ideas, and Build Fighters is a prime example.

Doing a flashback covering the life of probably the most popular character in the entire franchise is a pretty good idea, since it's just about guaranteed to print money. However, I do hope it doesn't fall into the same trap as the Star Wars prequels and end up pissing off fans by showing them that Char's youth wasn't everything they assumed it would be.
Just give me good mech design, good action scenes and gunpla. If the non mech stuff is unawatchable I just fast foward to the action...

People who expect good story from mech anime must be the same that care about story in fighting games :)
Andrew_Graruru

Well personally I find it impossible to get invested in any action scenes, mecha or not, without at least somewhat interesting story or characterisation. In the case of Gundam I just think it's the case where I find the setting more enticing than the mech action. But to each his own.
Check out my (awful) podcast. Anime Graruru.
battletech

balofo wrote:
AmuroNT1 wrote:Honestly, I had basically zero interest in Origin before when it looked like it was just going to be "Mobile Suit Gundam: Remastered". But the fact that they're doing something new with it is refreshing. One thing Gundam's been suffering a lot of lately is staleness, since a lot of the writers and directors seem to feel contractually obligated to keep doing the same plot points over and over (like the Lalah-style tragedy). What the franchise really needs are new ideas, and Build Fighters is a prime example.

Just give me good mech design, good action scenes and gunpla. If the non mech stuff is unawatchable I just fast foward to the action...

People who expect good story from mech anime must be the same that care about story in fighting games :)
You 're basically complaining about what Gundam is and created. The real robot genre. Where the focus was not just the robots but a serious story that was driven by characters more then the machines.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
Deacon Blues

I knew the Origin wouldn't be a complete rehash of the series. Though part of me wonders if we will finally get an MS-01 through MS-04 series of Gunpla from this all :D

Looks promising, though 2015? Yeesh. :S
Chris
Administrator

balofo wrote:Me and the majority of Gundam fans, right? :)

It must be a crime to want to see the OYW story in modern animation with the new designs and Yas' take on the events :)

Anyway, Bamco will lose loads of easy money and the 2ch is already raging, let's see where this goes!
A majority of people wanting something doesn't make it right, and honestly, who cares what 2ch rages about? Again, you hyped yourself up way too much when there was so little to go on. Don't be so dismissive of people who actually enjoy the story of mecha series just because you like action.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Zeonista

Preach it, brother! The real joy of Gundam: the Origin won't be the familiar battles in 3.0 version, we know those already. It will be the filled-in story points which will put a new spin on many UC events for a lot of fans out there. And I could watch Yaz's characters interact all day.
I heard that, the UC fans & hardcore Gundam otaku will be all over it. That should cover most of the members here, right? ;) No need to worry about exploding head fan rage concerning our favorite anti-hero here. Tomino was smart enough to establish his landmark character's back story in the process of creating him, and then he detailed it 1-2 years after the original show, instead of waiting 15 years or so to do it. We'll actually be watching the story in technicolor with subtitles this time instead of struggling through the b&w manga.

Deacon Blues: Twenty years ago in the fandom it took about a year for the LDs to come out in Japan, and then become available for mail order to here in America. And that was delivery by surface mail, because the flight shipping cost was murderous, and blithely passed along to the customer. "We'll get that next year" was heard all the time. The young 'uns don't have any sense of enforced patience these days. And that doesn't even begin to cover the great uncertainty about part 2 of 08th Platoon! :lol:
Last edited by Zeonista on Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Mu La Flaga

I'm curious to see this and where it goes past what we've seen off the first installment.
Just wanted to say that much, it's nice to get backstory on Char and Sayla.
latenlazy

balofo wrote:

Hey nothing prevents them from making a fighting game with a good story. It just hasn't happened yet (to my knowledge) and maybe never will.

If Gundam didn't have good stories in the franchise and were solely about mecha action I don't think I would have made it through MSG, which imo is still one of the defining great series of Gundam AND I don't think we'd have such a rich and well built political, social, and intellectual history in the UC and some of the AUs (really, name another franchise that has a comparable body of work to it). You're entitled to your opinion, but don't trample around as if you speak for everyone and don't dismiss what other people may like in the franchise just because it's not what you like about it. We could have an entirely separate discussion about whether there are good stories in Gundam, but somehow I don't get the feeling that that's what you were going for with your comments.
Amion

Zeonista wrote:Wow, we really need some oxygen masks dropped on this thread. Look people, we are still getting the full Origin ride in 2015. However, Tomino-sama probably pulled rank, and Sunrise wants to make sure Unicorn finishes strong too. In the meantime, they toss us a bone with Char & Sayla "origin" story. Now take a breath and stop spouting conspiracy theories; next thing we know the disappearing Malaysian 777 will be linked to Origin production. :roll:
This is what I'm hoping for, too. I know it's retreading so I really don't mind waiting. If I can get the story segments that are new, I'm game. :P
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Strike Zero

I was pretty ambivalent about the Origin before, and the new announcements haven't done much to change that. Still, it's nice to see that Banrise isn't simply re-treading the original TV series, as I and many others previously suspected they would. Makes the new content most worthwhile.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.