The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
toysdream

Re: The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

That image has indeed appeared in Japanese books as the MS-03, but it's an odd duck - pretty clearly an MW-01 upper body (much cruder than the MS-02) mounted on an improved lower body (which basically looks like the lower half of the MS-04 with construction markings and belly winches). As you've noticed, the actual depiction of the MS-03 in the comic - a single-panel shot which accompanies Dr. Minovsky's grandiose promises - is very different.

And yep, that's all we see of the MS-03 in the comic. I think Sunrise must have beefed up the simulation sequence so that they can get some mobile suit action into the third episode and spin off another kit. :-)

I do like the anime depiction of the MS-03 - with its split skirt and bell-bottom legs, it seems like the common ancestor of the Dom and Zaku lines. This does make one wonder what the heck the MS-04 is going to look like in the anime version, though...

-- Mark
Erisie

toysdream wrote:I do like the anime depiction of the MS-03 - with its split skirt and bell-bottom legs, it seems like the common ancestor of the Dom and Zaku lines.
Yep, I thought the exact same thing. Back when the silhouette was revealed, I was convinced that it was going to be an MSD version of the Zaku RD-4 (AKA, the missing link between the Zaku and Dom lines).
toysdream wrote:This does make one wonder what the heck the MS-04 is going to look like in the anime version, though...
Considering that MW-01, MW-02, plus all the assorted OYW units from the Loum flashforward, look exactly like in the manga, it's a safe bet to assume that the MS-04 will follow suit. After all, their different appearance is justified in the manga itself: the MS-04 was over-engineered and went beyond budget, forcing Zeonic to design a new unit for mass production: MS-05*. It's similar to the relationship between Nazi Germany's Tiger I and Panther tanks.

*I'm taking the information from my Vertical volumes and using Japanese raws as excerpts for reference. I don't actually know Japanese.
toysdream

Well, now we've seen the MSD version of the Zaku RD-4. Which doesn't really clarify anything:

http://www.gundam-the-origin.net/msd/index.html

You may be right that fidelity to the comic will trump everything else when it comes to the design of the MS-04. That's been the case so far, after all. Still, the promise was that Origin and the Mobile Suit Discovery spinoff were going to bring a measure of order to the chaotic development history; so far they've kind of just confused things further. ;-)

-- Mark
Erisie

toysdream wrote:Well, now we've seen the MSD version of the Zaku RD-4.
Heh, that's news for me. News that creates more headaches, since YMS-08A and YMS-08B couldn't be more different:
- A is the "High Mobility Test Type", a testbed that (going by the -08 code) eventually became the Efreet. No relationship at all with the Dom. Another thing that the MAHQ profile mentions is that the YMS-08A was an independent development that was eventually merged with the Gouf program, whereas the MSD chart makes it a Gouf derivative (care for a translation of the Japanese text in the chart?).
- B, the "Dom Prototype Test Machine" seems to be a further refinement of the Zaku RD-4.

These two don't resemble each other even remotely, yet the codes designate them as minor variants of the same unit. So, what gives?

Also, note that the chart includes MS-07C5 (Gouf Test Type, a Dom testbed in a Gouf chassis), the aforementioned YMS-08A (High Mobility Test Type), YMS-08TX (Efreet) and YMS-09 (Prototype Dom).
Erisie

On closer inspection, the YMS-08B and the Zaku RD-4 are the exact same chassis. Differences include:

- Livery
- Dom head (with pipes)
- Dom shoulders
- Smaller feet (??), with narrower tips
- Smaller knee armor
- Heat rod in the back

This is good news because it might mean that the Zaku RD-4 could be a future release (perhaps even as a regular HGUC, considering it as a 08th unit rather than MSD). And, if it isn't, doing the conversion would be pretty easy with a spare 1/144 Zaku, some paint and plastic card.
Erisie

domtropen wrote:head is ms-07c5.
Which is a Dom head with Gouf-style heat pipes and front vent.
domtropen

MS-07C5's head for me is just Gouf's head with Dom's eye and face guard struck on; it still has Gouf's mouth and vent, which is missing in YMS-09. Anyway it's a mix of Gouf and Dom's head features, so we just have a different take on pretty much the same thing.
Zeonista

"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
YokozunaBulldozer

YMS-03's name is finally decided it seems.
There seems to be no official romanization yet as far as I can tell so I am currently calling it "Vaff" based on the katakana(ヴァッフ).
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Deacon Blues

First 14 minutes are available.

Sunrise sure loves their recaps. Skip the first 4 minutes if you need to.
Erisie

Deacon Blues wrote:First 14 minutes are available.

Sunrise sure loves their recaps. Skip the first 4 minutes if you need to.
Quite coincidentally, the 14 minutes cover exactly until the end of volume 10 (5 for the Vertical release).
Deacon Blues

Episode 3 was a bit long it seemed... some interesting points and changes from the manga adaptation here though.

Also, Japan really love to stick with the Germanic nods I see... Garma falls asleep on his desk with a German-English / English-German dictionary... oy lol
zetatype

Episode 4 to cover events up to the end of Vol.6. Additional episode(s) for the Battle of Loum confirmed for 2017.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... 17/.102348
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... allery_top
Last edited by zetatype on Sat May 21, 2016 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doghunter1

Coming out of the third OVA, and I have this to ask: Does anyone know who voices Zenna?
Deacon Blues

I worry that the Battle of Loum arc will have a ship line up like that shown in MS IGLOO (which just seems so very wrong)...

Zenna is voiced by Ai Kayano
Gelgoog Jager

Erisie wrote:
toysdream wrote:Heh, that's news for me. News that creates more headaches, since YMS-08A and YMS-08B couldn't be more different:
- A is the "High Mobility Test Type", a testbed that (going by the -08 code) eventually became the Efreet. No relationship at all with the Dom. Another thing that the MAHQ profile mentions is that the YMS-08A was an independent development that was eventually merged with the Gouf program, whereas the MSD chart makes it a Gouf derivative (care for a translation of the Japanese text in the chart?).
- B, the "Dom Prototype Test Machine" seems to be a further refinement of the Zaku RD-4.

These two don't resemble each other even remotely, yet the codes designate them as minor variants of the same unit. So, what gives?

Also, note that the chart includes MS-07C5 (Gouf Test Type, a Dom testbed in a Gouf chassis), the aforementioned YMS-08A (High Mobility Test Type), YMS-08TX (Efreet) and YMS-09 (Prototype Dom).
Even before MSD, the YMS-08A seemed to be unrelated to the Efreet, specially considering that the Efrret lacks the key feature of the YMS-08A, the leg jet thrusters. On previous threads we have discussed how it probably just got the MS-08TX mode number assigned when the Dom series was reassigned as MS-09 and the data on the YMS-08A was used for the MS-06G and MS-07 series. Furthermore, the same development chart now mentions a separate YMS-08TX.

Regarding the relationship between the MS-06RD-4 and the YMS-08B, I'm not very fond of the idea of the development line MS-06RD-4 -> YMS-08B -> MS-09R, namely because the MS-06RD-4 is still gathering data as of October 6th and deployment of the Rick Dom is supposed to begin that very month. I would like to think that maybe after the MS-06RD-4, Zeon simply quickly repurposed a ground YMS-08B to replace it and continue gathering data to keep the deployment of the Rick Dom in schedule.

After all, some sources claim that the Rick Dom was a step gap unit that was put into production after the Gundam appeared, as a step gap while new units incorporating beam weapons begin development. In other words, while the idea of Rick Dom had already been chosen over the MS-06R-2, Zeon had been prioritizing the development of the ground use Dom and it wasn't until the existence of the Gundam was confirmed that Zeon actually started pushing the development of the Rick Dom.
Destiny_Gundam

I thought it was interesting to see that at one point Ghiren was actually afraid of his father.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Amion

He must have lost respect after seeing his father grieve for his son. Weakness will be preyed upon, and all that.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Dustman

Man, the new material with Lino was amazing. I love how much the division between Char's identities has continued to blur with this development. The initial origin for the mask was disappointingly low key so this has been the best surprise to come out of the adaptation thus far. The way the subplot plays out is also a great nod to the manga's portrayal of Char as distressingly close to the man he became in 0093.

It's a little out there, but I suppose that anything is possible with exclusive content. I hope they consider and find a way to work in a cameo for Bright. His absence from this arc of the manga is understandable but I'd be delighted to see him make an appearance. It would pay service to his legacy as the lone mainstay of each major chapter but I also feel that Ken Narita deserves every opportunity to continue making the role his own. I loved his performance in Unicorn and I certainly don't want to have to wait for a Hathaway's Flash OVA before he can reprise his role.