The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Dendrobium Stamen

Re: The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

RyuseiDateSRX wrote:
I live in the UK and I'm gonna watch it. It's so freaking awesome that we'll get to see The Origin episode 2 before everyone else! You live in the UK too right? Maybe we could meet up.
I may have to join the two of you for this... interesting!
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
Deacon Blues

It's only a few days before the streaming even begins so it's nothing to get too excited about.

The first 9 minutes are available. It's an interesting start to the episode. I'm interested in finding out just where the material in Jimba Ral's book comes from... haha
RyuseiDateSRX

Dendrobium Stamen wrote:
RyuseiDateSRX wrote:
I live in the UK and I'm gonna watch it. It's so freaking awesome that we'll get to see The Origin episode 2 before everyone else! You live in the UK too right? Maybe we could meet up.
I may have to join the two of you for this... interesting!
Awesome. Why don't we do a MechaTalk meetup and watch together?
Deacon Blues wrote:It's only a few days before the streaming even begins so it's nothing to get too excited about.

The first 9 minutes are available. It's an interesting start to the episode. I'm interested in finding out just where the material in Jimba Ral's book comes from... haha
It's exciting because the UK never had an anime first screen there before anywhere else as far as I know.
nickh46

Let us know how it goes, guys!
HellCat

RyuseiDateSRX wrote:
Deacon Blues wrote:It's only a few days before the streaming even begins so it's nothing to get too excited about.

It's exciting because the UK never had an anime first screen there before anywhere else as far as I know.
This. It wasn't some massive lead but getting it early with a cinema screening and a panel is a huge step up from what the UK fanbase has had to pick at over the years since Wing aired on CN here.

What passes for the 'voices of reason' in this fanbase is really depressing.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Turn-A Binker

Haven't been following this, didn't want to because of how I feel about it. Has there been anything concerning the next movies, or anything suggesting the main story will be adapted, not just the backstory?
Chris
Administrator

Turn-A Binker wrote:Haven't been following this, didn't want to because of how I feel about it. Has there been anything concerning the next movies, or anything suggesting the main story will be adapted, not just the backstory?
Why do you think that would change nearly a year later when Sunrise never gave any indication they would be adapting the entire manga? If they had any interest in doing that, they would've probably said so by now rather than announcing a Thunderbolt anime.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Turn-A Binker

I was just asking, Chris. Just in case I missed something from somewhere. No need to snap at me.
Chris
Administrator

Turn-A Binker wrote:I was just asking, Chris. Just in case I missed something from somewhere. No need to snap at me.
I'm not snapping at you. It's just a shame that in all this time you haven't reconsidered your position and are still hung up about Origin not being the full adaptation you wanted.
Turn-A Binker

Chris,
No I have not, nor will I reconsider how I feel about this. It's just how it is: I think its a misleading idea, and in a number of ways, what they're doing is kinda lazy. No, I didn't want a remake of 0079, I wanted The Origin, which wasn't a remake in my mind. I think of the Origin as something like "alternate UC", not something to replace the original MSG. Hell, if they animated the MSG novels, I wouldn't think "remake", I would think 'oh cool, the novels are being animated". Which by the way, is not a bad idea.

But when you hear that they're adapting the Origin, but it's only the backstory, you do question and criticize that idea. Why just do the backstory, unless you want to create a separate backstory series before you do the main story; if so, why not reveal that unless that's a surprise? If you just wanted to do the backstory, why the Origin? You're taking something that I treat as its own thing, and trying to connect it to something else its based on. If you're doing that, then why call it the Origin? Are you using it for different purposes such as the fact that it's just the backstory, than the title for what it actually is?

And yes, I will ask this one: I didn't want a remake, the fans did, but I wanted the Origin; but if you're going that far just to not touch the main story of this thing, then why not just say "forget it, let's just do a remake instead"?

Sorry, Chris. This is just how I feel, which I will say you got me wrong when you pointed me out during the Origin I review on Gundamn. Before, I would say you were always right; nowadays, and this might hurt your ego that you joked about, but that's not the case anymore.
Chris
Administrator

It just strikes me as extremely stubborn and narrow-minded to blast the existence of the OVA because it's not what you personally want, and I think that you're overthinking all your questions about it. When it was announced as 4 parts and being only about the back story, you have to accept that and move on. Adapting the entire manga would be adapting an adaptation, so tell me why that's necessary. Minus the back story that's being done already, the broad strokes of the story are pretty much the same. So what, is it to see old things redone in shiny animation? If you want to experience the differences of The Origin so badly, just read the manga. That's what it's there for.

We don't need an animated alternative version of the story already told in the TV series and movies. There's nothing "lazy" about Sunrise choosing to only adapt the new material in the back story and move on to something else. You don't have to watch the OVAs, but you do have to accept that they're not going to be what you want. If you can't bring yourself to enjoy them for what they are because of your opinion, that's your loss.
Turn-A Binker

I said what I needed to say, how I felt, and didn't want to do it again.

Really, all I did was ask a question, then it led to this.

Seriously, WTF, dude?

Let's move on....
Chris
Administrator

To be fair, you opened the door by saying that you haven't been following news on the OVA because of how you felt about it. You could've just asked your question without bringing that up.
Deacon Blues

Coming in Spring of 2016!
Episode 3 Revolt at Dawn/Dawn's Revolt/Uprising at Dawn/Dawn's Uprising

Whatever the hell they'll call it... :mrgreen:
penguintruth

So, I saw the new episode this morning. $6.99 for one language track still seems silly expensive to me, but the legal alternative (buying the discs) is even more insanely expensive. FFS, Bandai, why are you so greedy? But let's put that aside.

Episode 2 was as interesting as the first one. Jimba Ral is as crazy and paranoid as always, and of course pays for that dearly. I enjoyed the patriarch of the Mass family, and felt like he was one of the few adults with at least some sense, other than Ramba Ral (who The Origin mostly revolves around still) and Crowley Hamon. I love that bit where the school teacher admits to Mass that Edward scares him with his cold intensity. Very little of the Zabis in this chapter, except for Dozle, who heads up the mobile suit development (the CG mobile suits are still not great looking). Gihren, Kycilia, Garma, Degwin only get token cameos. I love some of the really detailed environments like the Mass compound and the Texas Colony. Bit of humor thrown in, too, with Sayla's pathetic horse. The REAL Char Aznable is only in a couple of scenes. You can tell he's a well-meaning kid who just got swept in with the times. The final scenes are heartbreaking.

Honestly, I never really cared for Sayla Mass. I always felt she was too stuck up and judgemental, and scenes in 0079 where she's berating Bright or Kai for little reason or when she stole the Gundam to get info on her brother or didn't give a damn when Amuro got swept away by an explosion at A Bao Qu always miffed me. But Yas has managed to at least make her endearing and sympathetic here.

Loved the cameos by Mirai and Amuro, by the way. Though I always assumed Amuro BUILT Haro. Kind of the point of that entire scene we first meet Amuro in 0079, he's really brilliant, but a shut in. If Haro is just a toy his father bought for him, it lessens Amuro's intelligence. But I guess that's just a nitpick. You can tell I haven't read all of The Origin manga yet.

Good episode. If I could change anything it would be the CG mecha. It isn't the worst, but it definitely looks awkward. I enjoyed hearing some classic 0079 BGM, too.

Looking forward to the next episode in... Spring?! Awwww...
Visit my YouTube page for episodes of Otaku Evolution, my anime review show! (Watch with Adblock off!)
Amion

Well, if Amuro didn't build Haro, it explains why we saw one in the metal mountain junk field outside the AEUGs base in Zeta.

And subsequently creates problems for why Kammile thought the toy would have info on White Base. Perhaps now Wong Li's reaction makes a tad bit more sense.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
penguintruth

I just assumed that Amuro built Haro, and then after the war they made hundreds of them as a way of honoring the OYW's greatest hero. Thus why they have the names of Amuro and Bright programmed into them.

If Haro is a mass-produced toy from Day 1, then why does anyone care that Amuro Ray owned one? If he BUILT it, it just adds to his legend. "Not only was he a great pilot, but a genius who made a robot!"
Visit my YouTube page for episodes of Otaku Evolution, my anime review show! (Watch with Adblock off!)
nickh46

For readers who were familiar with the Volume 5 Manga, I was kinda bummed/surprised/dissapointed the episode ended that way, VS the final ending of the manga volume.
Spoiler
when Casval answers the role call as "Char Aznable", vs the OVA when he just ditches Artesia/Sayla and the credits ended that way. An extra 10 minutes or so would have helped. Also, no amusing manga episode when a trio of boys bully Sayla and she slaps one of them so hard you can see her hand imprinted on the guy's face
I saw the dub version as well, and I noticed the sheep f*cking rednecks, I mean... the Black Tri Stars, are already sporting different VAs then the first Ep VAs. Which makes me wonder why didn't they just casted them right from the get-go. I can tell the director is different, and the pacing was probaly even faster then the first episode.

All in all, not bad. Now waiting for the 3rd. And getting kinda concerned how they're gonna portray vols 6 and 7 into two OVA episodes. Either they'll have to make the next episodes 90-120 minutes long each, or do a Unicorn and add another OVA episode, or do a lot of content cutting. :?
zetatype

penguintruth wrote:I just assumed that Amuro built Haro, and then after the war they made hundreds of them as a way of honoring the OYW's greatest hero. Thus why they have the names of Amuro and Bright programmed into them.

If Haro is a mass-produced toy from Day 1, then why does anyone care that Amuro Ray owned one? If he BUILT it, it just adds to his legend. "Not only was he a great pilot, but a genius who made a robot!"
Perhaps before Amuro's rise to fame as an ace pilot Haro was an obscure toy that didn't sell well. Once Amuro became famous most people assumed he built Haro since they never heard of the toy before and Amuro was known to be very tech savvy.

Also regardless of whether or not Amuro created Haro, people would still associate Haro with Amuro simply because Amuro is famous and he owned one. This kind of thing is not uncommon in real life.