Legend of the Galactic Heroes to get a new anime.

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.

Moderators: ShadowCell, EZero8, Destiny_Gundam, Kenji

yazi88
Okawara x Katoki Love Child

Re: Legend of the Galactic Heroes to get a new anime.

Post by yazi88 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:18 am

Its pretty hard to find retro designs in this day and age in anime, LOGH main series came out late 80s/early 90s. But even the DVD version of the main show had redesigns of some characters along with the mixing of newer animation from the 2nd Gaiden OVA series compared to the laserdisc release of original show.

Character designs I don't have a problem with, animation looks very good and will probably make up for the change in design style.

Henyo
Mysterious Masked Dude

Post by Henyo » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:58 am

yazi88 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:18 am
Its pretty hard to find retro designs in this day and age in anime, LOGH main series came out late 80s/early 90s. But even the DVD version of the main show had redesigns of some characters along with the mixing of newer animation from the 2nd Gaiden OVA series compared to the laserdisc release of original show.

Character designs I don't have a problem with, animation looks very good and will probably make up for the change in design style.
well, there have been strings of revival of old school series over the past several seasons. They kept the character designs. Ushio to Tora, Mahoujin Guru Guru, Jojo(which isn't so much as revival as it is a first TV anime adaptation.) more recently, Houshin Engi. Look at them LARGE Shoes!!!

something along the lines of Mouretsu Pirate's space battles would be fine.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!

yazi88

Post by yazi88 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:30 pm

Jojo part 3's designs, atleast in terms of animation/charater designs is quite different in the TV version compared to the 90s OVAs.

Henyo
Mysterious Masked Dude

Post by Henyo » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:19 am

yazi88 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:30 pm
Jojo part 3's designs, atleast in terms of animation/charater designs is quite different in the TV version compared to the 90s OVAs.

still, Both the Stardust Crusaders OVA and the Tv series kept told school look. muscles, clothes. and the like. they're still recognizable as Araki's designs. the new version of LOGH, others would surely say modernized.(other still will say modernized to pander to the Fujoshis.)

i was about to say that these designs might have taken notes from the other versions. but i have yet to see any printed version in greater detail. that volume 2 of the novel has been gathering dust.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!

yazi88

Post by yazi88 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:43 pm

Well... Spiral Labyrinth designs to a degree was also quite different because it also had different designs from the previous movie/main series/side story OVA as well as Golden Wings. So having different character designs is also not really new to LOGH. Its already been done twice.

wielder
Newtype Emo Guy

Post by wielder » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:56 am

At this point, I'm less worried about the designs (I've accepted that they won't be better than the original ones, to say the least). What worries me is how exactly they're going to make this a different experience in practice (how much story will be covered, any changes to the narrative, etc).
Soul Eater, the True Rune

Amion
War-ending Idol Singer

Post by Amion » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:55 pm

I fear less story as a given. No way are they doing 100 episodes of this, and the 105 or so I watched weren't even the whole of the saga. It's too momentous, too epic in scope for modern anime to appropriately give. And, alas, a trifle too long-winded near the end. Perhaps a shortening would not hurt, but I fear TOO much will be cut.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.