Legend of the Galactic Heroes to get a new anime.

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Mythgarr

Re: Legend of the Galactic Heroes to get a new anime.

Whut? I haven't even finished the old one, LOL...
Visit The Dreams
Antares

Must... not... get... hopes too up. Because Tytania was a disaster in all too many ways.
But if this happens, I will be a happy camper. Even the universe of LoGH is so interesting that I don't mind at all that they do a retelling with new characters. Or whatever they do; they said it's not a remake but follows the novels, so it will be... interesting.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
yazi88

But Noboru Ishiguro, director of Macross and LOGH, died about 2 years ago so this new work might not live to his high standards or his storytelling methods.

The problem with Tytania was that there wasn't enough material because unlike LOGH the novels weren't and still aren't finished, and that 26 episodes wasn't going to cut it for a large epic science fiction novel series.
Mythgarr

Bad as it is, I could manage to finish Tytania. So if the new LOGH is at least the same level as Tytania, it'd be bearable. We are lacking epic space opera outside old Gundam materials.
Visit The Dreams
Antares

Seeing as how I consider LoGH one of the finest sci-fi epics over all media genres, the new series will have a lot to answer for. I haven't even found a proper new space-faring sci-fi epic since BSG/Caprica. With the remake, the potential surely is there, so a lot hangs on the execution of the material. And that exactly is what has me concerned; Tytania started out good but then turned into boring eye-candy (the dukes, of lord...). So that's why I am hoping for at least Tytania+10% better. :P Guess we'll have to wait and see.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Mythgarr

Is there anymore info for this one?
Visit The Dreams
Amion

Mythgarr wrote:Whut? I haven't even finished the old one, LOL...
Haha, I haven't even heard about this until the link to ANN. Funny, this looks like it might be right down my alleyway. Anyone care to extrapolate their thoughts to me on why this is so good?

Any info on the novels as well would be great. And if they're better/worse/just plain different from the anime.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

^I second this motion. The only thing I hear about this show is that it is "amazing" and classical music plays during the space battles....that's about it.

No matter what it will have to wait until I am done with Wolf's Rain and Cowboy Bebop, but I would put this on my "to-watch-list" if someone can explain the basic premise well enough to sound interesting.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Mythgarr

If you enjoy medieval settings, feudal backstabbings, rise of underdogs, space warships, and tactical warfare using such warships, then you'd enjoy this. The animation and presentation, of course, is old school (since it's literally old).
Visit The Dreams
Henyo

you'll enjoy LOGH if you want to see both the flaws and advantages of a democratic and dictatorial government. there's also Yang Wenli's rants.(educational i tell ya.)

i've already finished the main series, along with the Golden Wings movie. dearest mother also watched this one, and she favors the Free Planets Alliance. are the other OVA series worth watching?
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Henyo

FINALLY!!! a trailer!!!

https://youtu.be/lXEm5aaWHgI

I am super excited for this. even if it does have Mamoru Miyano an Keiichi Suzumura? It's Setsuna S Seiei VS Shinn Asuka! also, they finally decided to make Yang's hair black. seriously, he's like a JOJO character sometimes. Blue, Black and then brown. XD
krullnar

Henyo wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:11 am FINALLY!!! a trailer!!!

I am super excited for this. even if it does have Mamoru Miyano an Keiichi Suzumura? It's Setsuna S Seiei VS Shinn Asuka! also, they finally decided to make Yang's hair black. seriously, he's like a JOJO character sometimes. Blue, Black and then brown. XD
This is great news I thought the project was cancelled or permanent hiatus.
ShadowCell - Mr. T doesn't read YouTube comments. Neither does Jesus. Or MacGuyver. Don't you want to be like Mr. T, Jesus, and MacGuyver?
Henyo

krullnar wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:15 pm
Henyo wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:11 am FINALLY!!! a trailer!!!

This is great news I thought the project was cancelled or permanent hiatus.
nope comrade. just went for radio silence. still, look at ANN comments of the arcticle and some of them peeps are already butthurting. X_X

i have yet to show this to Dearest Mother but i thinks she'll also be looking forward to this version! :D
Amion

I don't like the bishification of Yang Wen Li, he looks too young. Or is the timetable different from where I'm thinking?

And the black hair... *snarls*... he looked cool in blue.

Oh well. I don't care. I will watch it just for the revamped Alliance ships and the Brunhilde. Oh, Brunhild. You look amazing. Not quite the original, but the new version still does justice to that vessel. But will they manage to reach the heights of the original anime?
Henyo

yeah, i'm going to miss that cool blue. :D
Yang is older than Reinhard. i always forget that(and only remember whenever the narrator mentions either Admiral's age. go figure!) the redesign is just going makes it all the easier to forget that tidbit.

one thing i do hope they get back is NORIO WAKAMOTO. BURAAAH!! oh wait, wrong character!!!
tHeWasTeDYouTh

those character designs almost killed me but I hope I can get used to it and also Kircheis face looks strage. Yang and Reinhard have the same face as well. The animation looks top notch and i noticed they changed the lasers from white/blue to red and it seems the ships have no shields
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Henyo

tHeWasTeDYouTh wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:55 pm those character designs almost killed me but I hope I can get used to it and also Kircheis face looks strage. Yang and Reinhard have the same face as well. The animation looks top notch and i noticed they changed the lasers from white/blue to red and it seems the ships have no shields
IIRC correctly, shields in the LOGH setting haven't reached their full potential. it was a bit like having paper as armor.
i've more or less accepted the new designs. and there's a fanart of the redesigned Yang with a much more relaxed expression. kinda works. :D
Amion

I don't think I'll be able to accept the new designs. None of them really look like themselves. And if we're going with bizarre hair colors like Kircheis, why is Yang's changed? Agh. *Closes eyes* Nevermind. We'll probably still have to wait another hundred years anyway for this to actually be released to us chattel.
Dark Duel

I confess, I have never seen the old LoGH series, though I have been somewhat curious. That said, it's hard to judge from such a brief teaser, but I do like what I'm seeing. Will in all likelihood be checking this out.
Haven't had a new anime that I really wanted to see since Delta ended.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."