Legend of the Galactic Heroes to get a new anime.

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
yazi88

Re: Legend of the Galactic Heroes to get a new anime.

Its pretty hard to find retro designs in this day and age in anime, LOGH main series came out late 80s/early 90s. But even the DVD version of the main show had redesigns of some characters along with the mixing of newer animation from the 2nd Gaiden OVA series compared to the laserdisc release of original show.

Character designs I don't have a problem with, animation looks very good and will probably make up for the change in design style.
Henyo

yazi88 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:18 am Its pretty hard to find retro designs in this day and age in anime, LOGH main series came out late 80s/early 90s. But even the DVD version of the main show had redesigns of some characters along with the mixing of newer animation from the 2nd Gaiden OVA series compared to the laserdisc release of original show.

Character designs I don't have a problem with, animation looks very good and will probably make up for the change in design style.
well, there have been strings of revival of old school series over the past several seasons. They kept the character designs. Ushio to Tora, Mahoujin Guru Guru, Jojo(which isn't so much as revival as it is a first TV anime adaptation.) more recently, Houshin Engi. Look at them LARGE Shoes!!!

something along the lines of Mouretsu Pirate's space battles would be fine.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
yazi88

Jojo part 3's designs, atleast in terms of animation/charater designs is quite different in the TV version compared to the 90s OVAs.
Henyo

yazi88 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:30 pm Jojo part 3's designs, atleast in terms of animation/charater designs is quite different in the TV version compared to the 90s OVAs.

still, Both the Stardust Crusaders OVA and the Tv series kept told school look. muscles, clothes. and the like. they're still recognizable as Araki's designs. the new version of LOGH, others would surely say modernized.(other still will say modernized to pander to the Fujoshis.)

i was about to say that these designs might have taken notes from the other versions. but i have yet to see any printed version in greater detail. that volume 2 of the novel has been gathering dust.
yazi88

Well... Spiral Labyrinth designs to a degree was also quite different because it also had different designs from the previous movie/main series/side story OVA as well as Golden Wings. So having different character designs is also not really new to LOGH. Its already been done twice.
wielder

At this point, I'm less worried about the designs (I've accepted that they won't be better than the original ones, to say the least). What worries me is how exactly they're going to make this a different experience in practice (how much story will be covered, any changes to the narrative, etc).
Soul Eater, the True Rune
Amion

I fear less story as a given. No way are they doing 100 episodes of this, and the 105 or so I watched weren't even the whole of the saga. It's too momentous, too epic in scope for modern anime to appropriately give. And, alas, a trifle too long-winded near the end. Perhaps a shortening would not hurt, but I fear TOO much will be cut.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Henyo

And it has begun! your impressions comrades?

i'm fine with what i've seen. and so is Dearest Mother. the CG made it easier for her to see the space battles.

one thing i'm wondering is the Iserlohn Fortress. which version will they use for this retelling.
Amion

I think it's terrible, honestly. The lack of story content is beyond even what I imagined. That, and the designs are just a no.
yazi88

I'm fine with the 1st ep, kind of starts off in similar manner as the 1st ep of the original show (without the 1st movie however). Some of the character designs were a bit strange but its something I can get used to. The ships designs and CG I thought looked great. I'm curious to see how different the battle suits will look if they'll have much changes.

Amion, how do you find it to lack story content? Its a 1st ep which sets up a few things. Its not like the 1st ep of the original show explained everything at first either, things were explained as the show went on, cause by your words, that would apply to the original show too.

If you don't want to watch it, don't, but it doesn't hurt to add actual constructive criticism aside from not liking the designs which is the main thing people are complaining about, despite LOGH already having different designs in the 2nd OVA series that was meshed into the original show in the DVD release. You've been repeating in pretty much every post you don't like the designs... If you don't like the new show, its not like its ruining the original show which you can always watch again. Its more fair to judge the show for what its trying to do and how well it actually does it.
Henyo

yazi88 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:20 pm I'm fine with the 1st ep, kind of starts off in similar manner as the 1st ep of the original show (without the 1st movie however). Some of the character designs were a bit strange but its something I can get used to. The ships designs and CG I thought looked great. I'm curious to see how different the battle suits will look if they'll have much changes.
Much to my surprise, Dearest Mother actually wants to see the same. the battle suits i mean. she's far more interested with Schenkoff, and the FPA in general. she once said that she'd like a version were Yang wins.

they haven't shown Anne Rose's design right? it'd be extra funny if Han Megumi ends up being her new Seiyuu. that would be another instance of her inheriting a role from her mother Han Keiko.

one amusing comment i saw about this version is "Kuroko no Basuke in Space"
Zeonista

Henyo wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:26 am And it has begun! your impressions comrades?

i'm fine with what i've seen. and so is Dearest Mother. the CG made it easier for her to see the space battles.

one thing i'm wondering is the Iserlohn Fortress. which version will they use for this retelling.
As of episode 1, it was good. I am not 100% won yet as per Yamato 2199 but it is a good start. Rein hardt got a haircut, but he is still a military genius. If by "genius" one means "guy who looks at the map and opposing force and plans accordingly" anyway. :P The ship redesigns were a little different, but nothing that would make me hate them. (I miss bendy lasers though.) The best part of the production tech grade was the epic spectacle of the story, which was awesome and gave scope to the story beyond some dialog. And like the Yamato reboot the ability to create a pseudo-3D battlefield excels beyond the "all ships onscreen fire left/right" generic animation. So I will be watching the series while it lasts, since Kami-sama only knows if the series can be sustained to its original length.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Henyo

Episode 2 finished!!! and with the the battle of Astarte is over. it's also 2 episodes in the original right? plus the movie retelling.

so far so good. equal parts Yang and Reinhard. the ending sequence going from the FPA side to the Empire is a nice touch.

also, someone is youtube is making a comparison video. unbiased as far as i'm concerned.

another thing: The dub will premiere in April 23. ya guys have any wishlist on how it wlll be handled? add accents? big name VAs? :D
Zeonista

The second part of Astarte played out well. The debut of Yang Wen-Li was excellent, and nicely depicted why he will be Reinhard's foil through the epic story. And everything looked great, again. This looks like a keeper for my watch schedule this season.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Amion

Episode 2 was far superior to the first, and looked much nicer. Sad they left out Rozinski, but his part to play was always a bit muddy in the beginning anyway.

And let us not forget episode 3. Exceptionally good. I still think the original is better compared to this episode, as I'm rewatching both simultaneously. It would have been even better if Annerose's actor had sounded more distraught. And the piano scene was missing... which I found surprising.
Henyo

the plan to capture iserlohn fortress has begun. and its a two parter at that. glad they used the animation version with its Liquid Metal coating. at this rate the TV series might end with that one important death. the same way the original OVA's season 1 ended.

any comments on the dub?