Chars Counter Attack, suddenly have a question.

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
ChaoticSheep1

Chars Counter Attack, suddenly have a question.

Neo Zeon had alot of high performance "pushing the envelope" MS while the 2nd Neo Zeon produced the not so special Geara Doga. What i was wondering why Chars Neo Zeon didnt contain any 1st Neo Zeon MS?

Surely, there would have been some of use in battle. Creating brand new MS even if they were made to cut back still would have cost valuable resources. Mobile Suits like the Zssa, Doven Wolf and Bawoo could certainly hold up in combat in the hands of Veteran pilots.

Then why didnt he have any?
Angelo Sauper

Re: Chars Counter Attack, suddenly have a question.

There don't seem to be any real answers in animation itself, (as far as I know) other than the suggestion that the high end units were destroyed or seized during Glemy's rebellion and the ensuing fight with the Earth Federation.

As for the grunt suits, we should take into account that during Char's Counterattack they have limited capacity to transport and I doubt the Musaka class was designed with suits like the Zssa and Doven Wolf in mind.

Since Char's plan hinged on completing multiple objectives in different locations and rendering earth uninhabitable, they didn't plan on a large confrontation with the EFSF and having an amalgam of mobile suits would only slow them down.
Dendrobium Stamen

There's also the question of just how many competent pilots Char could muster to operate his Neo Zeon's mobile suit forces; it may well be that they had few, if any, personnel capable of bringing out the full performance of any Axis memorabilia the faction got their hands on.

Looking at the pilots they were able to muster, and the way it's heavily implied that 80-odd Geara Doga pilots were kept in check by at most 30 Jegan operators - admittedly with a fair few AEUG veterans amongst them - it's quite possible that apart from the "stars" of Char's squad, most of his force were relative newbies drilled on simulators. One can question how keen Char really was to succeed, of course, but that's a whole other issue.

Of course, there'd also be the need to keep logistics chains as simple as possible, so standardising on one main MS type makes repairs and maintenance that much smoother, as it reduces the variety of spares required down to a minimum.

In fact, we could see the fact that the Sleeves are using such a menagerie of Neo Zeon mobile suit models as a representation of just how desperate they are, needing to throw whatever they can get their hands on into their guerilla operations against the Federation, spares and whatnot be damned. Hell, the fact that they pulled the surviving Dra-C models out of retirement and bolted a few upgrades into them shows just how desperate Full Frontal's people are, logistically speaking...

But coming back to the events of UC 0093, I do feel that quality of personnel was a bigger issue for Char - given how few veteran Zeon sympathisers seem to have survived past UC 0089 or so, and the difficulties Neo Zeon seem to have had with producing even one successful Cyber-Newtype, it looks to me like the decision to go with the Geara Doga as the standard model was a choice of convenience, more than anything; being loosely derived from the Zaku aesthetic, anyone who'd had a go on a Hobby Hizack could probably get to grips with the basics.
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
yazi88

There are also political implications at hand here too, in Unicorn we learn that there are different factions in Neo Zeon: Zabi Loyalists (Split into Haman and Glemmy Factions) and Char's Neo Zeon, along with some OYW stragglers, and Republic of Zeon which is kind of sketchy.

I'm assuming that from the 1st Neo Zeon factions not many joined up with Char whom Haman detested and that can imply that they didn't share resources with Char either hence why he didn't have access to the heavy high performance suits of the 1st Neo Zeon war. Just about everything he got was relying on Anahiem which didn't make much for the 1st Neo Zeon group.
latenlazy

Alternatively, Char himself didn't want the aid of the other factions of Neo Zeon given how nearly everything he did had some element of "vanity project" (and we love him for it) and his distaste for the methods and ideologies of Zeon's prior leaders. However, I think it's far more likely that Char's Neo Zeon simply didn't have the logistical capacity to support the menagerie of odd mobile suits that might've been left over after the first Neo Zeon war. It's not just about having those mobile suits after all, but having the parts and expertise to maintain them. Furthermore, I wonder if any of those mobile suits would really fit the mission profile that Char needed to pull off what he was about to do.
yazi88

That is also true. Plus he had to invest in very expensive newtype mobile suits and a large powerful mobile armor. He was strapped for cash.
ChaoticSheep1

'Standardization' did go through my mind. But the other interesting answers didn't, thanks for the feedback.