Gundam 0083 Rebellion manga

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Deacon Blues

Re: Gundam 0083 Rebellion manga

Story details:

The Albion is docked in a port somewhere. Synapse is talking with Kowen when Kou interrupts with the fact that Gato is still alive. He's sure of it. Kowen asks if he is the pilot of Unit 1 and he acknowledges that fact. Alice is still aboard and talks with Nina (glossing over for the moment while I translate Beltorchika). Orville wants to get off the ship. Meanwhile, Miller gets a phone call regarding the freighter that steamed across during the battle. As they suspected, it's a Zeon camouflaged freighter. Mogadishu is where it was discovered. The owner of it is in fact just a paper company.

Clara, the pilot of the Zeon mobile armor, is sunning herself as her comrades finally show up. She chides them for being late. They were successful in getting Gato to Africa safely. Now they ponder where their next course will take them. Cue a discussion with Kou, Nina and Tanya...

Meanwhile, Allen is meeting with Burning in his room. There he tells Burning that he is considering quitting the military. Burning is shocked. (Lol he's butthurt he can't pilot the Gundam!) In the city, Orville uses a payphone in order to reach his contacts. Jacob, Miller's attache, is pursuing him. Realizing what he's doing, they arrest him on the spot. Back on the Albion, they toss him into a room rather violently. Being a civilian he demands the presence of a lawyer. Miller chides him by asking whether he's forgotten that he's aboard the Albion... and that the military abides by military "rules". Orville starts backing away as Miller slips on a pair of gloves and demands to know where Gato is... Cue Gato scene of him riding down on the elevator into the base.
Erisie

Kooky conspiracy theory: the Delaz rebellion wasn't orchestrated by neither the Zeon remnants, Axis nor the EF radicals like Bask Om. The true masterminds were the people of Anaheim Electronics. Both the Delaz Fleet and the Albion were used as pawns, with the latter getting the shittiest part of the deal.

This would explain both why the colony drop wasn't aimed at Jaburo, and why Nina shot Kou when he tried to stop Gato. She was an agent of Anaheim, whose job was to ensure the sucessful completion of Stardust.

[rant]Also, what the heck is a G-Fighter doing in this thing? Don't this people remember that Tomino retconned that silly embarrasment out of existance? That it was a cold, calculated decision in order to keep Gundam on the air back in 1980 after ratings were plumetting? That it was something that was never supposed to be on the series in the first place?[/rant]
Deacon Blues

Erisie wrote:This would explain both why the colony drop wasn't aimed at Jaburo, and why Nina shot Kou when he tried to stop Gato. She was an agent of Anaheim, whose job was to ensure the sucessful completion of Stardust.
Uh... she didn't shoot Kou. She shot Gato.
toysdream

Didn't Kou shoot Gato?

-- Mark
AmuroNT1

Also, why would Anaheim need to conspiracy ANYTHING? They've already got a healthy business going, selling arms to both sides of the conflict.

And no, the G-Fighter wasn't "retconned out of existence", because obviously it still exists and still shows up in other bits of Gundam, like how the recent MSV-R line had no less than three brand-new G-Fighter variants.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
toysdream

And if there was no G-Fighter, how could you justify the ZZ's G-Cruiser mode?

-- Mark
Erisie

toysdream wrote:Didn't Kou shoot Gato?
-- Mark
Deacon Blues wrote:Uh... she didn't shoot Kou. She shot Gato.
Right. I watched it a while ago, so my memory was fuzzy. Kou was the one who shot Gato, and then Nina fired a "warning shot" to Kou to let her escape with Gato.
AmuroNT1 wrote:Also, why would Anaheim need to conspiracy ANYTHING? They've already got a healthy business going, selling arms to both sides of the conflict.
A conflict (Gryps, the EF's civil war) that Anaheim created with Stardust (as per my theory).
AmuroNT1 wrote:And no, the G-Fighter wasn't "retconned out of existence", because obviously it still exists
Well, nothing in Gundam is actually "retconned out of existence". Each and every thing still has some degree of canonicity, as Mark has explained a number of times.
toysdream wrote:And if there was no G-Fighter, how could you justify the ZZ's G-Cruiser mode?
It could've been posterior development from Anaheim, probably derived from the same design division that made the S-Gundam (the FAZZ, prototype for the Full Armor ZZ, derives from there).
Also, the G-Fighter is an independent craft, that can operate either with and without the RX-78 inside (or its parts, like the G-Sky). ZZ's G-Fortress mode is only some additional parts, which cannot operate as a whole craft of their own (although it does retain the use of parts in the Core Top and Core Base).
AmuroNT1

The big problem with the "Anaheim did it" theory is that we know exactly WHY the Delaz Fleet didn't hit Jaburo: they weren't targeting it in the first place. Their primary goal was to damage Earth's crop production and make them more reliant on imports from the colonies. Anaheim didn't stand to benefit at all from that.

Besides, the concept really requires Anaheim to have a united front that doesn't give a damn about who wins the war as long as they get paid. We know quite well that the company has more than a few Zeon sympathizers, which is why they sold the rejected GP04 to Cima as the Gerbera Tetra. And on top of that, the Federation and Zeon hated each other enough that there wasn't really any need to kick the proverbial anthill in order to get things started up again; Zeon just keeps coming back, even as far down the line as Gundam F90 (and possibly further, if you buy the idea that old Zeon sympathizers had a hand in the Crossbone Vanguard and Zanscare).
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

Erisie

AmuroNT1 wrote:The big problem with the "Anaheim did it" theory is that we know exactly WHY the Delaz Fleet didn't hit Jaburo: they weren't targeting it in the first place. Their primary goal was to damage Earth's crop production and make them more reliant on imports from the colonies. Anaheim didn't stand to benefit at all from that.
It doesn't make much sense, all things considered. The Delaz rebellion was looking to revive Zeon's cause on the Earth Sphere and make a proof of their ideals' strength. How does making Earth reliant on the colonies' food (which is never mentioned anywhere as a causus belli for Gryps, nor as a reason for the Titans' founding) bring back Zeon? It also didn't work: the protests in the colonies did not trigger a revival of Zeon. Quite to the contrary, it spawned a division within the EF itself.
If Delaz really wanted to make a statement, they should've aimed the colony towards the EF's center of power in Jaburo. Why they deliberately changed the target is something I can't explain, since the series doesn't make it clear. I'd say it belongs to the same pile of "crappy, eleventh-hour writing from 0083" that includes Nina and Gato's previously unmentioned relationship.
AmuroNT1 wrote:Besides, the concept really requires Anaheim to have a united front that doesn't give a damn about who wins the war as long as they get paid. We know quite well that the company has more than a few Zeon sympathizers, which is why they sold the rejected GP04 to Cima as the Gerbera Tetra.
We all know that for a while now. Remember that Anaheim absorbed Zeonic's and Zimmad's assets in the aftermath of the OYW. That's the reason they were able to sell a barely upgraded Zaku to the EF.
AmuroNT1 wrote:And on top of that, the Federation and Zeon hated each other enough that there wasn't really any need to kick the proverbial anthill in order to get things started up again; Zeon just keeps coming back, even as far down the line as Gundam F90 (and possibly further, if you buy the idea that old Zeon sympathizers had a hand in the Crossbone Vanguard and Zanscare).
And each time is weaker and weaker. While Axis' forces were indeed a major threat to the EF, Casval gambled everything into dropping Axis: his forces alone wouldn't be able to sustain a direct, prolonged war against the EFSF. The Sleeves were weaker still, relying on limited guerilla raids. And Mars Zeon was a joke.
Also, you're forgetting that Gryps began as a civil war between factions of the Earth Federation: the Titans and the AEUG. [As per my theory,] Anaheim wasn't counting on Axis returning to Earth, nor were they a major client of them (at least during Haman's time), since they had their own MS production facilities.
zetatype

Erisie wrote:
AmuroNT1 wrote:Also, why would Anaheim need to conspiracy ANYTHING? They've already got a healthy business going, selling arms to both sides of the conflict.
A conflict (Gryps, the EF's civil war) that Anaheim created with Stardust (as per my theory).
A conflict between who? The Titans and the AEUG? How would Anahiem know that the the Titans would be created in response the the colony drop and turn out to be such evil douche bags which would lead to the formation of the AEUG 4 years later? That is a hell of a lot to assume.
Erisie wrote:
AmuroNT1 wrote:And on top of that, the Federation and Zeon hated each other enough that there wasn't really any need to kick the proverbial anthill in order to get things started up again; Zeon just keeps coming back, even as far down the line as Gundam F90 (and possibly further, if you buy the idea that old Zeon sympathizers had a hand in the Crossbone Vanguard and Zanscare).
And each time is weaker and weaker. While Axis' forces were indeed a major threat to the EF, Casval gambled everything into dropping Axis: his forces alone wouldn't be able to sustain a direct, prolonged war against the EFSF. The Sleeves were weaker still, relying on limited guerilla raids. And Mars Zeon was a joke.
I'd still say its better to work with what you got instead of coming up with a convoluted plan to create a civil war that relies on too many variables. If Anahiem's true goal was to create a split within the Federation, why would they go through all this trouble to set up a conflict between the Federation and the Delaz fleet and not two factions within the Federation from the beginning? Also aren't the Neo Zeon ships that Char had in CCA just left overs from the first Neo Zeon War (ZZ gundam)? I'm pretty sure the Neo Zeon fleet was much bigger in ZZ gundam than it was in CCA.
Erisie

zetatype wrote:A conflict between who? The Titans and the AEUG? How would Anahiem know that the the Titans would be created in response the the colony drop and turn out to be such evil douche bags
0083 makes pretty clear that there were radicals within the EFSF. A colony drop by Zeon malcontents is the perfect excuse to give them "emergency powers", with a lot of resources to buy from Anaheim. From there to the formation of the AEUG is a bit of a leap in logic, I admit, but considering the extremism of the EF reactionaries, it's not that farfetched to imagine that some sort of opposition would form against them.
zetatype wrote:I'd still say its better to work with what you got instead of coming up with a convoluted plan to create a civil war that relies on too many variables. If Anahiem's true goal was to create a split within the Federation, why would they go through all this trouble to set up a conflict between the Federation and the Delaz fleet and not two factions within the Federation from the beginning?
Before 0083, the EF was more or less a united front. The aftermath of Stardust gave lots of power (ergo, purchasing power and a need to buy weapons) to a radical wing within the EFSF, which became the Titans. It makes sense that Anaheim orchestrated this whole situation, Stardust, either to split the EF or just create a reliable, steady customer. A post-OYW with Side 3 under a leash and only some pathetic Zeon remnants to fight against is not good for business.
zetatype wrote:Also aren't the Neo Zeon ships that Char had in CCA just left overs from the first Neo Zeon War (ZZ gundam)? I'm pretty sure the Neo Zeon fleet was much bigger in ZZ gundam than it was in CCA.
Most of Casval's equipment was new during his rebellion: the Rewoola, the Musaka-class and the Doga series. We never saw his forces with old equipment, at least on CCA itself. The Sleeves did have a hodgepodge of old and new hardware: during Palau, we saw Dra-Cs fighting alongside Geara Zulus.

Also, to clarify an ambiguity on my previous post...
Erisie wrote:While Axis' forces (ie. Haman Karn's movement on Z/ZZ, Axis Zeon) were indeed a major threat to the EF, Casval gambled everything into dropping Axis (ie. the asteroid itself): his forces alone (ie. the "reborn Neo Zeon" commanded by Casval during 0093) wouldn't be able to sustain a direct, prolonged war against the EFSF.
Zeonista

Deacon Blues wrote:Story details: The Albion is docked in a port somewhere. Synapse is talking with Kowen when Kou interrupts with the fact that Gato is still alive. He's sure of it.
Another skipped-over point from the anime here, since Albion is at a port after crossing the Indian Ocean from Australia. Based on a likely route from Australia to Africa, it might be Dar-es-Salaam or Maputo. It could be Cape Town, but I am skeptical right now. Kou is right,; no body or wreckage of Unit 2 = no death. ;)
Alice is still aboard and talks with Nina (glossing over for the moment while I translate Beltorchika).
Gotta be some interesting conversation there...
Meanwhile, Miller gets a phone call regarding the freighter that steamed across during the battle. As they suspected, it's a Zeon camouflaged freighter. Mogadishu is where it was discovered.
Kou is vindicated by the news, which is a feather in his cap. Mogadishu of course i where the freighter was spotted, not necessarily where it dropped off Gato. Since Bitter's base is located in a southern diamond mine, I would say that Mogadishu was not the disembarking point. Gato got dropped off ahead of Albion at that port, and he and Unit 2 are already half-way there.
Clara, the pilot of the Zeon mobile armor, is sunning herself as her comrades finally show up. She chides them for being late. They were successful in getting Gato to Africa safely. Now they ponder where their next course will take them.
Suntanned heroines of Zeon, yeah... 8) Maybe we will see them again, right?
Cue a discussion with Kou, Nina and Tanya...
More talk about Gato and GP-01, to be sure! :D
Meanwhile, Allen is meeting with Burning in his room. There he tells Burning that he is considering quitting the military. Burning is shocked. (Lol he's butthurt he can't pilot the Gundam!)
Really, he wants to quit just because he got dissed and Kou got the cool GP ride? :? I tell ya, some guys.... I suppose DIck being a dick means his time is just about up in the story. Say hello to a Bitter Force Dom Tropen for your exit, Allen-san.
In the city, Orville uses a payphone in order to reach his contacts. Jacob, Miller's attache, is pursuing him. Realizing what he's doing, they arrest him on the spot.
Orville is just as lousy with his exit as he was in the anime. D'oh! Some spy he was, and now Albion won't have to grope around for the base location, maybe?
Orville starts backing away as Miller slips on a pair of gloves and demands to know where Gato is...
"And now Spacenoid, we will discuss the location of the hidden Remnant base."
Cue Gato scene of him riding down on the elevator into the base.
See, he made it there already. Time to get ready for the upcoming launch fight!
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
AmuroNT1

Am I the only one who thinks Monsha looks kinda like Space Dandy there?

Wingnut

Care to elaborate? Art style, the action in the panels? I don't read moon.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
AmuroNT1

What I was talking about was the art style, but the dialog...

Kou: "Unit 1 is my machine!"

Monsha: "Don't get me wrong! That's not what I'm after. But are you really okay with staking your life on a test-type machine, no matter how good its performance is?"

Basically, Monsha's being entirely reasonable here rather than the pompous jerk he is in the anime.

Powerman293

In the first post, he said Zeta Define was not good. Care to elaborate?
Crosswire40

Basically, Monsha's being entirely reasonable here rather than the pompous jerk he is in the anime.
What blasphemy is this!? Next you'll be telling me Monsha wasn't one of the Titan mooks Kamille one-shoted in Zeta Gundam.

Also, really liking the sound of this Manga! Anyone know where I can find it? I can't read Japanese to save my life, but I'm a sucker for mobile suit variations.
Zeonista

balofo wrote:Welp, manga ruined...

http://i.imgur.com/eAvA4QR.jpg
"It. Is. Alive." :D

I was expecting the Immortal Fourth to make an appearance in Africa, and I have not been disappointed. Upon reflection I am OK with any character definition that makes Monsha more than some sekuhara jerk who had "FUTURE TITAN" stamped on his forehead. Alpha Bait and Chap Adel were also FUTURE TITAN-stamped, but they at least gave minimal offense. Monsha seemed determined to offend on every level, and he wasn't that good as a pilot either. (Almost got wasted by a Dra-C, really now...)
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Deacon Blues

I was wondering how they'd wrap up the spy portion of the story and there's an interesting twist...

Orville is offloaded onto a transport that is being escorted by a Federation jeep. En route, they pick up a hitchhiking Allen. As they're traveling, the jeep comes under attack from an RPG and the van tips over. Orville spills out the back and is confronted by a black man with sunglasses.

Man: Yo! You're Blau Engel, aren't you?

Orville: T-that's right! I'm Blau Engel! Have you come to rescue me?

Man puts a gun to Orville's forehead.

Orville: W-what's this? Aren't you a Zeon?"

Man: Unfortuntely I'm not. I'm what you would call a "business partner." You see, the higher ups are angry because you blabbed information to the Feddies, which will effect future business.

Orville: T-that's...

Man: By the way, your boss seems pretty angry too. So, how much did you tell them?

Orville: I... didn't tell them anything.

The man shoots Orville in his knee.

Man: I get it, your knee hurts. Do you want another one?

Orville: Wait! Hold it! Walfisch is... Anavel Gato is heading to the Kinberaid base. he'll be at the old diamond mine! T-that's all I told them! I swear!

Orville: I didn't tell them anything about you!

Man: Oh really?

Orville: Listen to me! I left a setup inside the Feddie ship. So there's nothing to worry about.

Man: A setup?

Orville: That's right.

Dick Allen is watching from behind some rocks and is astonished at what is transpiring.

Man: Well, that's unfortunate to hear. Maybe you misunderstood me?

Orville: Huh?

Man: You see, we don't care what really happens to the Federation. I was talking about business! I don't know whether the Zeon will continue or stop fighting the Federation. But it's just not good for the supply of diamonds to be interrupted! Not good at all! You did it, Blau Engel.

The man shoots Orville in the head.

Man: the Federation will be here soon! We're done! Move out!

Dick: Phew. But... if what they said earlier was true... things will be real bad...