The Official Gundam Build Fighters Anime Thread Mk. I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
bullethead

Re: Official Gundam Build Fighters Anime Thread Mk. I

Well, I'm cautiously optimistic on this show. I love the idea of taking Gunpla Builders and expanding it, love the kitbashes, and the kind of Medabots vibe the show could have, but I'm not sure if Bandai will execute it correctly. I also wonder if Bandai is going to be competent enough to try to get this on international TV - they've kept promising that for the past few shows, but this show is in a lot better position to actually get there, since it falls into the Beyblade tier of anime. If they come up with a good selection of Gunpla and don't botch the deals with retailers, Bandai has a decent chance of getting back into US retail with a show like this.
BrentD15

And also, it's nice to see the Victory grunt units getting some love they've been deprived of for many years (outside of SD G-Generation games, that is. :mrgreen:).
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Xenosynth

BrentD15 wrote:And also, it's nice to see the Victory grunt units getting some love they've been deprived of for many years (outside of SD G-Generation games, that is. :mrgreen:).
Agreed, same with the F91 Grunts. I thought it was cool that they showed the Denan Zon's in the Einrads xD
Sume Gai

I am flabbergasted that no one -here- has shown any serious dislike for Sunrise making another kids show as yet. It's almost miraculous enough to restore my faith in the Gundam fanbase (till I see what's being said elsewhere)

So with some time and a bit of thought I have to say this looks like fun. A focus on combat which can be as dynamic and interesting as the writers/animators want. Beyond it's a series that lacks expectations, so there's plenty of room for surprises.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Silver_August

I'd like to thik maybe its because Bandai has discovered the way to appease both mediums is to give the grown ups the UC OVAs while the kids get the AU TV series? But remember when the Gundamn Crew said they wishes Gunpla Builders was a longer series? Guess hopes and dreams CAN come true! lol I kid...but I personally am kinda excited Gunpla Builders is basically being rebooted...the trailer even featured Beargguy!
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Sume I think that has to do with how awesome the mods are and now currently, most people on mechatalk are smart, intelligent people who are well-reasoned. Furthermore, I think most of the trolls are gone, either they outed themselves during Age's announcement or they just annoyed enough people that they were kicked out for everyone's peace of mind.

Either way, I am happy too. Everyone has been very pleasant and upbeat about this show. Also (and this is less important), but the PV on youtube has very little dislikes...something that was very different from Gundam Age if people remember...where their were more dislikes than likes.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
ShadowCell

it's sort of hard to argue with something that looks like Gunpla Builders, which as far as i know most people liked.

don't worry, i'm sure there'll be a new "serious" Gundam show that will piss everyone off soon enough. c:
HellCat

I went to bed before the announcement and when I finished work my connection took ages before it'd let my computer online. Blah.

I don't think this airing says for definite that The Origin won't be a TV project. From what I can see this is airing on TV Tokyo as opposed to MBS who have been the home of the last few Gundam shows. Why is that important? Because it was TV Tokyo that aired SD Gundam Force and in fact I believe they did so at the same time MBS was running SEED Destiny. So it's not really a nail in the coffin.

I've seen people say of this announcement "I suffered through AGE, isn't that enough?". I find it highly ironic because per all the info I've been reading today, we're getting this show because few supported AGE but Bandai still wants to court that core demographic. So there you go- people were far too harsh on AGE and now we get a show that isn't even trying to hide the fact it's a 24 minute toy commercial. At least AGE was trying to tell a story in the classic Gundam form.

My actual reaction? From what we know so far, they seem to be taking Gunpla Builders and pushing it further. Which could actually work as my constant complaint was GB didn't do enough with the premise. They've highlighted several key 00 staff are involved and that gives me hope. Kuroda in particular was very vocal that he was a long term Gundam fan and we know very well from 00 he knows how to push the envelope for the franchise whilst keeping the heart there. I'd be much more worried if this another brand new team who might just give into Bandai's commercial push.

The plan to get every lead Gundam in HG is very intriguing. Does this mean just filling in gaps or a brand new consistent wave of kits totalling every lead?
The actual series Gunpla...I'll wait and see. It's pretty clear they're hoping to sell alot of these but I don't really have the time or money to get sucked into another big line like this. Especially not when the main gimmick seems to be semi-customisable Striker packs.

So right now not the end of the world but not exactly ecstatic either. Lord knows Tomino must be breathing fire right now.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
balofo

99,9% chance Origin will be a 50 episode TV series. The profit they can make from BD and Gunpla sales from this method is astronomic.
Kuruni

HellCat wrote:The plan to get every lead Gundam in HG is very intriguing. Does this mean just filling in gaps or a brand new consistent wave of kits totalling every lead?
Don't get your hope up, I bet they will skip G-Saviour :roll: .
My girlfriend was a loli.
Andrew_Graruru

Seems like good news to me. I like that they are using a wide array of mobile suits. So cool to see the SUMO get some screentime in that trailer. I am curious about what format the Origin will be, but good to hear they are still mentioning its existence.
HellCat wrote: So right now not the end of the world but not exactly ecstatic either. Lord knows Tomino must be breathing fire right now.
I doubt he really cares that much anymore.
Check out my (awful) podcast. Anime Graruru.
Xenosynth

@Hellcat

The HG push is only for ones that don't have models. HOWEVER Bandai Hobby Shop is also going to discount all the HG leads that are already made on there for 5%. Basically, they just want to fill in the Double X, F91, Victory, and Wing. There hasn't been a Turn A announcement but since after this it'll be the ONLY lead without a HG, and the presence of Turn A units in the show, I really am sure they'll get that too. But yeah, the HG line really has advanced but I don't see them redesigning the HG designs, especially since it'd be silly to redesign things like the Zeta, Freedom, RX-78, etc in 1/144th again when they have RGs now, it seems like it'd be a bit weird.

As for Tomino, given that he's mellowed out over the years I doubt he hates it. Yes, it's essentially a model commercial, but eh, it's using mostly older designs that kinda need models (Dijeh, I'm looking at you >=| )
HellCat

Last I'd heard, in an interview Tomino was asked for his opinion of Gunpla and said he couldn't answer honestly without burning a ton of bridges.

He's probably not aware of this show but I'm sure if he was it's not exactly gonna make him a happy camper.
Xenosynth

I dunno. I don't see why Gunpla would bother him so much. I can understand the cheaply made Char Custom Laptops and helmets and crap since usually they are cheap merchandising (And sometimes of lower quality than the standard product) but for the most part, at least from what I've bought of it, Gunpla is pretty good quality especially compared to other model lines (The Kotobukiya stuff I've bought was higher in price yet lower in quality) and... I dunno. Maybe it's just because building things is a hobby for me so I have a bias for Gunpla.

Honestly though his like of the show really doesn't matter. He doesn't hold complete power over Gundam. I like the universe he created but... eh. Doesn't mean I gotta care what he thinks. It's basically the same attitude I take with all creators, from Gene Roddenberry to George Lucas xD
HellCat

For Tomino, Gunpla seems to be the personification of sponsors taking control and the fact Gundam as a whole cast a shadow over anything else he tried to do.

I love building my kits but I can completely understand why he'd loathe them.
Kaioshin Sama

Xenosynth wrote:
BrentD15 wrote:And also, it's nice to see the Victory grunt units getting some love they've been deprived of for many years (outside of SD G-Generation games, that is. :mrgreen:).
Agreed, same with the F91 Grunts. I thought it was cool that they showed the Denan Zon's in the Einrads xD
The response is just sluggish as people are made aware of the news in the intended manner this time without the leaks of blurry scans ahead of the fact to scare the shit out of people. Bandai/Sunrise controlling the message from day one instead of angry speculators. We have an idea of what it is upfront this time basically.

Also by now people are probably used to the idea of Gundam trying to target younger audiences and probably feel less threatened by this on account of the more familiar mecha designs that are courting the Gunpla crowd. AGE had none of that stuff to build at least some good will when that blurry scan was first leaked on the internet and only people losing their minds over the "kiddifying" of the franchise.
Momaru

I'm actually cautiously exited for GBF as its pretty much a reboot of Gunpla Builders which while not very deep at all was a ton of fun. Sometimes having a show that's just plain old fun is a good thing too. If this turns out to be better, more entertaining than AGE I'll be happy. Like that would be hard though heh. Seeing theres people working on the show that can actually direct, and write a script is encouraging to me.
Tell me why, at this turning point in our history, must we fight amongst each other and further pollute the earth?
- Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Derringer

Xenosynth wrote:@Hellcat

The HG push is only for ones that don't have models. HOWEVER Bandai Hobby Shop is also going to discount all the HG leads that are already made on there for 5%. Basically, they just want to fill in the Double X, F91, Victory, and Wing.

That's not true. The 5% is just a disclaimer that the prices on the hobby site include the 5% sales tax in Japan after MSRP. For example the HGUC RX-78-2's MSRP is 1000 yen. However, when purchased, the sales tax makes it 1050 yen.

As a footnote, in 2014 the sales tax will be 8% and in 2015 it will be 10% because of the bill that was passed in 2012 to double the tax rate.
Destiny_Gundam

This sort of show is definitely better if they want to introduce kids to Gundam.

Kids' anime can be a lot of fun if you don't have a stick up your ass, so I'm prepared to have a good time with it.

It'll be nice that there won't be any shitstorms about killing vs disabling and UNDERSTANDING... At least there shouldn't be...

The main girl gets a thumbs up from me as well :)
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
ZeonsSilverStar

This certainly unexpected. I never thought they'd revisit the Gunpla Builders formula in animation again but I guess it was more popular than I thought. It'll be fun to see how this turns out.
''Do you always have to stare at me like I just drowned your goldfish?'' Xigbar