The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk V

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Kratos

Re: The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk V

It isn't, per se, but it also isn't guaranteed by effectively operating a piece of machinery. I know plenty of army bucks, for example, who could do things with their guns that I would never be able to even hope to replicate, but I would still not really call them "intelligent". Skill and intelligence are not the same thing.

In fact, Loni's single-minded obsession with her father's legacy implies a significant lack of agency. She's a puppet, on pretty much every level. That, to me, does not denote intelligence.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Amion

Something was taken out of the OVA that's in the book. Hey, it happens.

I guess this is the reason I don't post much in Unicorn, it's a fest to see what more hate we can milk out of Loni and the different interpretation of her character from the novel. Seriously, are you all actually having a debate over whether she's an intelligent human being or not? As far as I can tell we don't get enough scenes of her outside or in the Shamblo for it to matter, OVA wise. Episode 4 happened a year ago, and yet there still isn't much discussion brewing over episode 5. This thread has turned into a troll fest over Loni and how the action was blasphemy. I mean really, shouldn't we admit by now that it's all spilled milk? The OVA producers didn't want to do anything better with Loni and that's that. If they took from the phew phew boom booming then they would have filled it with more tears of honest angst from Bahagher.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Kratos

It's not a troll fest to be dissatisfied with how her character is presented. Yeah, stuff gets taken out in cross-media adaptation, but when it weakens the impact of the story, it's more difficult to shrug it off.

Look, I love Gundam Unicorn. I am a staunch defender of its many, many merits, both in terms of character and storytelling. The OVA Loni is simply not one of those. You're right - that's in the past, and episode 5 was great and certainly worth discussing. This came up because we were discussing the merits of balance between action and non-action scenes in the OVA, and I feel that the dissonance between the Loni presented to us and the Loni that Banagher saw (and the storytellers wanted us to see) is a big storytelling problem caused primarily by lack of screentime and lack of development (a lack which you mention yourself). Duel disagreed. Discussion and debate were born.

I certainly don't see how it's trolling.
Amion

Kratos wrote:It's not a troll fest to be dissatisfied with how her character is presented. Yeah, stuff gets taken out in cross-media adaptation, but when it weakens the impact of the story, it's more difficult to shrug it off.

Look, I love Gundam Unicorn. I am a staunch defender of its many, many merits, both in terms of character and storytelling. The OVA Loni is simply not one of those. You're right - that's in the past, and episode 5 was great and certainly worth discussing. This came up because we were discussing the merits of balance between action and non-action scenes in the OVA, and I feel that the dissonance between the Loni presented to us and the Loni that Banagher saw (and the storytellers wanted us to see) is a big storytelling problem caused primarily by lack of screentime and lack of development (a lack which you mention yourself). Duel disagreed. Discussion and debate were born.

I certainly don't see how it's trolling.
I'm not talking about your debate. I'm talking about all of them combined. Half the time I post here someone brings up the merits between action and character development, both of which I love and want to see, by the way. It's just that people seem to state that less action=more Loni development. I just don't see that, especially with a previous comment that Japan, once again, seems to have taken her characterization more kindly than the rest of us. But I digress. You have a right to discuss the difference between action and character development, plot and so forth, just don't use examples that have in the past been taken to mean something else. :mrgreen:
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Destiny_Gundam

Chris wrote:
Andrew_Graruru wrote:HEY GUYS MY NAME IS CHRIS GUANCHE AND I LIKE TO ACT INCREDIBLY IMMATURE AND UNPROFESSIONAL FOR SOMEONE WHO IS MEANT TO BE A MODERATOR.
I'm sorry, but this is your business how, exactly? I don't take nonsense from anyone, especially when a user constantly demonstrates a pattern of behavior where they derail threads. Mind your own business.
You're right that this is none of our business. It's between you and DuelGundam. In which case I direct you to rule #5. I know I don't need to remind you of your own rules, but I'll post it anyways for posterity:
Chris wrote:5. If a personal issue between yourself and another member or staff comes up, it doesn't belong on the forum. PM them to deal with any issues you have, and if you cannot control it then contact staff to have it settled.
In the first place your comment violated rule #1. This is unacceptable regardless of who is involved.

Honestly Chris if you feel DuelGundam's behaviour is for the sake of attention, the proper way to handle it is to ignore him. You're only reinforcing him by giving him the attention you believe he's seeking, especially since it's you, the head honcho.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Chris
Administrator

It's a closed issue, so let's just move on and return to the topic.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Shinigam_Newtype

To be reminded of your own rules: That's gotta sting...
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080
BrentD15

Shinigam_Newtype wrote:To be reminded of your own rules: That's gotta sting...
Indeed.

Now, back to business.
Does anyone else here think its possible that they might change Marida/Puru Twelve's fate? :)
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
DeganUAB

I'm not sure what her fate is, but I'm guessing she's destined to bite it. I would be ok if she lived, but she seems so emotionally important to Banager that she will have to die. I know this was done to death over the last few pages, but I always liked the Zeon attack at the end of Ep 4. At least the first part where it showed all the remnants going to battle. It was very sad just watching them because they held on so long, and you knew they were all going to die. I took it as a way to basically say there are no Zeon warriors left on the earth. Plus it was like the call to arms in Independence Day. I do think it would have been ok to cut out some of the battling at Torrington though. No way they could lose the walking war museum comment though, and I haven't read the novels but if Loni is a much more fleshed out character they probably could have accomplished her niceness with an extra five minute conversation with Banager. It wouldn't have had to derail their entire episode, but a few less punches on the bridge with Captain Zeon, and a few less Byalant Custom killings and you could have had a stronger emotional hook for Banager.
Now is the time for mankind to stand up for the future.
Kratos

BrentD15 wrote:Now, back to business.
Does anyone else here think its possible that they might change Marida/Puru Twelve's fate?
Anything's possible, at this point, but I'm not sure I want them to.
Spoiler
I like Marida plenty, but if her death has good impact, I'm more than okay with it. Ultimately, I want them to do what makes the most sense with the story that they're telling. Death should always have meaning in a story, so I don't want Marida to die for the sake of dying. If her dying and her surviving would have equal impact, then why not let her live?
I don't think there's enough foreshadowing to be able to tell one way or the other, though; her fate could go either way, at this point.
DeganUAB wrote:At least the first part where it showed all the remnants going to battle. It was very sad just watching them because they held on so long, and you knew they were all going to die. I took it as a way to basically say there are no Zeon warriors left on the earth. Plus it was like the call to arms in Independence Day.
That part was fine; in fact, I liked their whole struggle. I think that the sadness had to do with the fact that there WERE still "Zeon Warriors" left on earth, and the whole sequence really brought home how misguided and useless the whole "Zeon Remnant" cause is and how their war is as much of a relic as their machines are. Time may have begun to flow for them again, but it had been constantly flowing around them for 16 years. Their dedication to their lost cause was exploited for one that was totally different, and while it didn't exactly make me sympathise with them, it really made me pity them. Which I think was the intention.

The music only added to that sensation. Honestly, I've always felt that the song MOBILE ARMOR should have been entitled REMNANTS, or something along those lines.
BrentD15

Kratos wrote:
BrentD15 wrote:Now, back to business.
Does anyone else here think its possible that they might change Marida/Puru Twelve's fate?
Anything's possible, at this point, but I'm not sure I want them to.
Spoiler
I like Marida plenty, but if her death has good impact, I'm more than okay with it. Ultimately, I want them to do what makes the most sense with the story that they're telling. Death should always have meaning in a story, so I don't want Marida to die for the sake of dying. If her dying and her surviving would have equal impact, then why not let her live?
I don't think there's enough foreshadowing to be able to tell one way or the other, though; her fate could go either way, at this point.
DeganUAB wrote:At least the first part where it showed all the remnants going to battle. It was very sad just watching them because they held on so long, and you knew they were all going to die. I took it as a way to basically say there are no Zeon warriors left on the earth. Plus it was like the call to arms in Independence Day.
That part was fine; in fact, I liked their whole struggle. I think that the sadness had to do with the fact that there WERE still "Zeon Warriors" left on earth, and the whole sequence really brought home how misguided and useless the whole "Zeon Remnant" cause is and how their war is as much of a relic as their machines are. Time may have begun to flow for them again, but it had been constantly flowing around them for 16 years. Their dedication to their lost cause was exploited for one that was totally different, and while it didn't exactly make me sympathise with them, it really made me pity them. Which I think was the intention.

The music only added to that sensation. Honestly, I've always felt that the song MOBILE ARMOR should have been entitled REMNANTS, or something along those lines.
Agreed.
:cry:
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Mythgarr

Tomino should stop wasting prominent female lives to boost the protagonists...it's getting boring...
Visit The Dreams
latenlazy

Mythgarr wrote:Tomino should stop wasting prominent female lives to boost the protagonists...it's getting boring...
Uhhh...Tomino was only a consultant for Unicorn.
Kratos

Was he even that involved? I always figured he was only involved to the capacity that he created Gundam.
Mythgarr

latenlazy wrote:
Mythgarr wrote:Tomino should stop wasting prominent female lives to boost the protagonists...it's getting boring...
Uhhh...Tomino was only a consultant for Unicorn.
Whoopsie. My bad :P
Still, he needs to stop sacrificing female pilots on the altar of story.
Visit The Dreams
latenlazy

Kratos wrote:Was he even that involved? I always figured he was only involved to the capacity that he created Gundam.
I think I remember reading that he was a "consultant". I should note the word "consultant" is a very loose term :P
balofo

New manga about Bright will start on Newtype Ace!

http://randal.blog91.fc2.com/blog-entry-2094.html
latenlazy

Are they testing the water for Hathaway's Flash?
Arbiter GUNDAM

As much as I like Hathaway's fate in that story, I really don't think they should waste an OVA.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
latenlazy

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:As much as I like Hathaway's fate in that story, I really don't think they should waste an OVA.
If it sells models and they're running out of legitimate UC to capitalize off of, I don't see how it'd be a waste (for Bandai).