The Official Gundam AGE Thread Mk V

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
ShadowCell

The Official Gundam AGE Thread Mk V

new thread. you guys know how this works. try not to be giant dicks, use the spoiler tags, etc
Raptor wrote:I'll again call back to the JJBA references(Getting tired of this yet?), and say that I hope AGE does the same when it comes to the third part.

JJBA 1st Gen is 5 Chapters long, and talks about Jonathon Joestar, who gets quite a bit of character development, as does Dio Brando, the main villain. We know by the end of first gen who the big bad is, and what he wants to do, just not how he is going to do it. Sound familiar?

2nd Gen Joseph Joestar is a petulant brat to most, yet loves his family and is fiercely loyal to his friends. He meets Caesar Zeppeli, and the two initially start out as rivals, but become friends. Joseph winds up fighting against a group of beings who want the world for their own, to do as they wish. As he trains, and fights them, he loses someone very important to him, and becomes the kind of character that everyone wanted him to be. 7 Chapters here(Different situation chapter wise as compared to AGE, but bear with me).

3rd Gen has young Jotaro Kujo(Joestar) who is found and trained by his grandfather, gathers allies, and gets arguably the best development of the three, though it is more gradual, as 3rd Gen has 16 Chapters. Considered the best of the three by most fans.

Hoping we get the same kind of ending here, with Kio's story being the longest. Even if it may not seem like we're getting development at first, Heero's Character development was gradual as well. And Domon, Judau and Tieria didn't change at all until something drastic happened in their lives.

-Raptor, out.

EDIT: Blast. My post came in before your's. Duel, and your post would have been a perfect end for the thread! Curse my foul luck...

-Raptor, out.
farjad93

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Thread Mk V

I'm looking forward to the 3rd generation. The fact that it has about 5-6 more episodes than either of the first two arcs should hopefully bode well for the character development and plot progression. I'm curious as to whether or not Asemu will have a major role in Kio's arc. Also, the promos show a picture of his younger sister Unoa. I wonder whether she will play a major role in Kio's arc. That would be interesting, in my opinion.
REY: Kira Yamato, your existence must end!
KIRA: Like I haven’t heard that before…on countless Gundam message boards.
Sume Gai

This latest episode was both great and indicative of the troubles of this show. We had a ton of great moments both character and action wise (It's very rare that an action scene in this series turns out to be bad) but most of them came and went too quickly. It feels like this should have been a pair of episodes rather than a single one.

AGE is still a good show (with the potential for greatness if it can round off with a strong final arc) and the three generations thing is -very- interesting but it should have been fleshed out in something that doesn't have as strict time constraints as a series.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
SonicSP

farjad93 wrote:I'm looking forward to the 3rd generation. The fact that it has about 5-6 more episodes than either of the first two arcs should hopefully bode well for the character development and plot progression. I'm curious as to whether or not Asemu will have a major role in Kio's arc. Also, the promos show a picture of his younger sister Unoa. I wonder whether she will play a major role in Kio's arc. That would be interesting, in my opinion.
I don't think we can factually say whether Kio's arc will have 5 or 6 more episodes at this point. Since the episode count of AGE is not known yet and with the ratings not being great, they could decide to have a count that is less than 50. It could very well end up at say, episode 43 for all we know.
Dollow

SonicSP wrote:I don't think we can factually say whether Kio's arc will have 5 or 6 more episodes at this point. Since the episode count of AGE is not known yet and with the ratings not being great, they could decide to have a count that is less than 50. It could very well end up at say, episode 43 for all we know.
Lets hope not, otherwise that could really hurt the show, I rather see it have a full run to see if it works or not.
Last edited by Dollow on Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
Arbiter GUNDAM

Really makes me wonder why they're so intent on keeping that episode count under wraps. I'm pretty sure that we knew 00's count before it even broadcasted or at least soon after it started?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Dollow

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Really makes me wonder why they're so intent on keeping that episode count under wraps. I'm pretty sure that we knew 00's count before it even broadcasted or at least soon after it started?
Maybe they don't want to make any promises by saying one, and the show being a completely different number, which would say to others that it got canceled if it was a lower number.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
Compass

Does anyone find it meme-like that EVERYONE mentions that "He's not supposed to be an X-Rounder!"

I think Desil, Dole, and Zeheart have all pointed that out in the fights. Will this become a running joke?
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Dark Duel

I think it already is at this point.
Personally, I love that they went that route. Rather than making him a pseudo-Newtype, he's just that freakin' good - at least, when he gets serious anyway.
I love that - there's not nearly enough of that in Gundam: Main character who's NOT whatever that particular series's equivalent of a Newtype, but just a seriously badass pilot.
It's a pity that it took Wulf's death to get him pissed enough and serious enough to actually be as good as we all knew he could be.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
farjad93

I agree, I like seeing Gundam protagonists who are excellent pilots because of pure skill rather than because of being a Newtype.
Dark Duel wrote: It's a pity that it took Wulf's death to get him pissed enough and serious enough to actually be as good as we all knew he could be.
Well, at least he's finally developed as a character and moved on from trying to catch up to his dad and Zeheart. I'm personally very glad that he's finally realized his potential and found his purpose for fighting. Now, if only they'd give some more importance to his relationship with Romary ...
REY: Kira Yamato, your existence must end!
KIRA: Like I haven’t heard that before…on countless Gundam message boards.
Compass

Hey, Asemu, report Romary to your dad yet about her shielding a Vagan agent?

Seriously, why didn't Asemu report her?

He's not supposed to be chivalrous!
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
SonicSP

Asemu's definitely getting a lot better as a pilot from when we first saw him (that VR training definitely helped) but the Double Bullet definitely helped a lot in his recent victories.
Dark Duel

I'd have to agree. I felt myself that the Double Bullet was much more suited to his style of combat, with its paired cannons and beam sabers. Kinda makes me wonder why the next episode has him - new paintjob aside - back to using the AGE-2 Normal. Still, I can't complain; the AGE-2 is my favorite variable mobile suit in a long time, and I like the Normal just as much as I do the Double Bullet.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Compass

If you look at the fight between Desil and Asemu, you'll notice that Asemu does most of the fighting with only beam sabers. The Double Bullet allows him to take on larger amounts of grunt-type enemies, but doesn't otherwise advance his skills. Remember, Asemu did take out two Vagan suits with a single shot in his first sortie with AGE 2. Asemu has a remarkably high spatial awareness that has only been demonstrated continually as he takes out enemies in almost New-type fashion without having any known magical powers.

As to why he's using Normal, there's a few possibilities.

The first is the simplest to justify: Double Bullet can't fly in atmosphere as it has no wings (extended control surfaces). Normal can (we've seen it do so in-colony already).

The second is that Normal has a much higher agility and mobility than Double Bullet. He did do a flip with a Gundam in-colony as well.
Dollow

I don't know if anyone has said this, but I really looking forward to get the soundtrack this week. The music has got a whole lot better in AGE 2.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
MarshalBraginsky

Yeah. I wanted to get the song that was played with Asemu vs Zeheart.
Compass

I've been waiting for it for weeks. Asemu's theme beats Flit's theme hands down.
Admiral Larsen

While with Asemu calling himself a "super pilot" is well corny, the fact that as of right now, Asemu is doing well in the suit without being an X-rounder is an excellent fact. Like several others here, I'm glad they went that route of that Asemu triumphing with his own skills and despite the odds of his foes being seemingly all powerful and godlike.
DuelGundam2099

despite the odds of his foes being seemingly all powerful and godlike.
Vagans god-like? Or even all-powerful? With their limited resources? Not to mention in Asemu's arc the Earth Federation could fight their mobile suits and ships blow for blow and without superior technology they don't have much going for them. Hell, without the Zedas Ms, Zeydra, and Kronos they probably would have lost horribly in the last episode (so much so that the story could have ended there); and even then they have extremely low standards for "ace pilots". Vagans really don't have much going for them outside of intelligence at this point, although hopefully in Kio's arc that'll be proven wrong.

Every other villainous faction in the gundam franchise had a sufficient amount of resources from space, satellites, colonies, etc. (the Space Revolutionary Army from X is debatable though); we haven't even seen the vagans on Mars, let alone use the planet's resources, and from the look of it the Downes was the only real base they had. The closest they've gotten is storage of a squad in a colony with very loose connections, the fact that Zedas had to have been stored in a civilian mobile suit factory satellite (I forget the name of it), and that it has been expressed multiple times (once toward Desil after Zedas first loses and during the briefing of the invasion in the past three episodes now) that they had limited resources and needed more.
Last edited by DuelGundam2099 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Compass

For ace pilots, the Magicians' 8 sure went out pairwise in fashionable methods.