The Official Gundam AGE Thread Mk V

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Compass

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Thread Mk V

Einus is the best ship captain in Gundam history for adorkability. :lol:
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Gelgoog Jager

reeoyuy wrote:
schwarz ritter wrote:YES! Finally, Gundam X will finallly be seen as the masterpiece that it is and Sunrise will realize how foolish they were to continue doing crappy AUs like AGE instead of badass ones like AW.
How come X will be seen as "masterpiece" if it only has 0.002% rating difference than AGE? I think you should check (or recheck) the number on the link that DuelGundam2099 posted. Being a second worst (and very close second that is) doesn't mean it will get suddenly acknowledged anyway.
Am I the only one that felt that Kio's Earth arc felt a bit rushed? Could they intend to cut short the series?

Asemu's arc was shorter than Flit's by 2 episodes:

Flit's arc: 1-15 (15 episodes)
Asemu's arc: 16-28 (13 episodes)
Kio's arc: 29-??

At this rate Kio's could end up being only 11 episodes long, which would make the series 39 episodes long, just like Gundam X. I do certainly have a hard time imagening Kio's arc being 22 episodes long (7 more than Flit's and 9 more than Asemu's) to reach the 50 episode total.
Compass

Maybe they'll do a *surprise, we get to see ZEHEARC*

Also, does anyone find Kio being a bit too scary-combat-ready? Both Flit and Asemu had problems dealing with Zeheart, the former mentioning that Zeheart was strong, and the latter not being an X-Rounder and only managing to equal him in super-pilot mode. Blame the MS, maybe, but Kio totally flattened Zeheart this time.

Even with a poorly matched MS against Asemu, Zeheart was able to keep pace and beat him.

I hate to say "Super X-Rounder" but jeebs, he basically made Zeheart look like... Asemu fighting Zeheart...
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
yazi88

I would laugh my ass off if this new ace pilot assigned to pilot the Age-1 Flat is a bastard child of Woolf, or at least looks like him like Zeheart does.

Although aside from Serbic and Woolf and later on Largon in the side story manga, we haven't seen or heard of any other ace pilots in the Federation, figures it would take about 50 years to finally produce a new ace pilot and more than capable veteran pilots on the Diva aside from Obright and Largan.
Gelgoog Jager

Compass wrote:Maybe they'll do a *surprise, we get to see ZEHEARC*

Also, does anyone find Kio being a bit too scary-combat-ready? Both Flit and Asemu had problems dealing with Zeheart, the former mentioning that Zeheart was strong, and the latter not being an X-Rounder and only managing to equal him in super-pilot mode. Blame the MS, maybe, but Kio totally flattened Zeheart this time.

Even with a poorly matched MS against Asemu, Zeheart was able to keep pace and beat him.

I hate to say "Super X-Rounder" but jeebs, he basically made Zeheart look like... Asemu fighting Zeheart...
In Zeheart's particular case I do am willing to blame the MS, after all it was shown in Asemu's arc that the Zedas R, which had been customzied for him, couldn't keep up. His Wrozzo seemed to be just a regular unit painted red, so I certainly wouldn't expect it to keep up anymore than the Zedas R. I should also point out that he had the advantage while piloting the Ghiraga when he fought Kio who at the time was even being directly coached by Flit.
ShadowCell

plus Kio's had Shanalua tutoring him for an unknown stretch of time, and Flit does specifically say that Kio is a crazy strong X-Rounder
Compass

Yeah... that part about Kio being a crazy-strong X-Rounder is awfully terrifying to me. He's a 10-year old kid who, at his current state, appears to already be superior to both Flit and Asemu in their prime.

When you look at how he uses the Fortress these past episodes, he completely blows its archetype out of the water. Fortress is designed to be a long-ranged suit based on the fact that it has 4 high-output cannons, yet many of his moves and capabilities showcased in the past few episodes are strictly close-range. Dodging by transforming to MA mode, point-blank shooting with a cannon, these are things you'd expect from a high-mobility suit.

Maybe it's because of that simulator Flit bought him, but Kio pilots AGE-3 at a skill level beyond either of the past two protagonists at such a young age.

In other news, seeing Flit empathize with Kio regarding Salanua was nice. I really liked her as a character.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Compass wrote:Yeah... that part about Kio being a crazy-strong X-Rounder is awfully terrifying to me. He's a 10-year old kid who, at his current state, appears to already be superior to both Flit and Asemu in their prime.

When you look at how he uses the Fortress these past episodes, he completely blows its archetype out of the water. Fortress is designed to be a long-ranged suit based on the fact that it has 4 high-output cannons, yet many of his moves and capabilities showcased in the past few episodes are strictly close-range. Dodging by transforming to MA mode, point-blank shooting with a cannon, these are things you'd expect from a high-mobility suit.

Maybe it's because of that simulator Flit bought him, but Kio pilots AGE-3 at a skill level beyond either of the past two protagonists at such a young age.

In other news, seeing Flit empathize with Kio regarding Salanua was nice. I really liked her as a character.
He's 13 actually.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Compass

x_x

Well either way, he's terrifying.
MarshalBraginsky

Even more so if Kio would verse the Visidian Gundam. I doubt if Asemu would still be alive, he'd be shocked at how his son willingly became a Gundam pilot at such a young age. I mean, being taught how to pilot a Gundam and preparing yourself to fight while you're still a kid, it's kinda scary. Then again, Setsuna from 00 started his career as a child guerrilla so it wasn't really surprising.
schwarz ritter

DuelGundam2099 wrote:Say Schwarz, by any chance do you go to Evageeks? Because someone in the gundam topic posted exactly like you and has a similar name.
Once: it was a very long time ago. A similar incident to that of another thread here happened...and I had to flee.

reeoyuy wrote:
schwarz ritter wrote:YES! Finally, Gundam X will finallly be seen as the masterpiece that it is and Sunrise will realize how foolish they were to continue doing crappy AUs like AGE instead of badass ones like AW.
How come X will be seen as "masterpiece" if it only has 0.002% rating difference than AGE? I think you should check (or recheck) the number on the link that DuelGundam2099 posted. Being a second worst (and very close second that is) doesn't mean it will get suddenly acknowledged anyway.
I was expressing my joy over the fact that AGE is bombing so hard, hehe. That's all. Besides, you really think AGE is actually better than X? Seriously?
Reinhard: "Of course, grades in school aren't a good indicator. They focus too much on memorization and imitation, and don't foster imagination."
Kircheis: "What you find important are imaginative and conceptual capabilities, right?"
Reinhard: "That's right."
Homeless

X getting cancelled has never struck me as a big surprise, network shenanigans or not. It has a few great characters and some neat mecha designs, but it is truly a mess of a series. It never really seemed to take real advantage of the setting it had crafted, the plot often felt obnoxiously aimless, and the antagonists were lackluster from start to finish. I'm not interested in debating its quality versus AGE's, but attaching the term "masterpiece" to X amuses me.

Also, I love the mindset of actively wishing for new stuff to fail so Sunrise will take the safe bet and simply rehash old material. Hope none of you complain whenever we get yet another OYW production.
Last edited by Homeless on Thu May 31, 2012 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Always do the right thing. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" -Mark Twain
reeoyuy

schwarz ritter wrote:Besides, you really think AGE is actually better than X? Seriously?
No, I like both. I was just talking from business standpoint, mere 0.002% difference won't make Sunrise exec will suddenly put X in pedestal. If they consider below 3% as failure, then X is also a failure.

Now to slightly related to point above, seems like some people glad that AGE bombed. They hope that Sunrise learned the lesson and will make that gritty adult Gundam they always hope for. However, if that Nikkei article to be believed, one factor to be blamed for the low rating is that young audience that AGE targeted is unfamiliar with the concept of war (or space war). The one thing that makes AGE still watchable for us. Now what IF Sunrise learned that, and in another attempt to tap into kid market, create the real Digimon-style Gundam? You know, the one we feared AGE will turn into when it was first announced. Best case scenario, we'll get more Gunpla Builders which I'm OK with. Worst is, well, Digimon Gundam.
schwarz ritter

reeoyuy wrote:
schwarz ritter wrote:Besides, you really think AGE is actually better than X? Seriously?
No, I like both. I was just talking from business standpoint, mere 0.002% difference won't make Sunrise exec will suddenly put X in pedestal. If they consider below 3% as failure, then X is also a failure.

Now to slightly related to point above, seems like some people glad that AGE bombed. They hope that Sunrise learned the lesson and will make that gritty adult Gundam they always hope for. However, if that Nikkei article to be believed, one factor to be blamed for the low rating is that young audience that AGE targeted is unfamiliar with the concept of war (or space war). The one thing that makes AGE still watchable for us. Now what IF Sunrise learned that, and in another attempt to tap into kid market, create the real Digimon-style Gundam? You know, the one we feared AGE will turn into when it was first announced. Best case scenario, we'll get more Gunpla Builders which I'm OK with. Worst is, well, Digimon Gundam.

Oohh, okay. I didn't get that "Business" PoP. I liked 2nd Gen of AGE, but the latest one's just been so...ARGHH, frustrating.

Also:
Gundamon! Mobile suit monsters! Gundamon Tamers, Champions!
Reinhard: "Of course, grades in school aren't a good indicator. They focus too much on memorization and imitation, and don't foster imagination."
Kircheis: "What you find important are imaginative and conceptual capabilities, right?"
ShadowCell

schwarz, if all you're here for is
expressing my joy over the fact that AGE is bombing so hard
then kindly get lost. thanks.
Amion

I don't know why everyone is surprised by Kio's incredible power level. Uso was pretty darn powerful even from the get-go, and by that I mean actual piloting skill. I admit he was more desperate, but there was obvious talent, considering he was thirteen as well.

And I'm personally sad that age is essentially failing. I enjoyed it from the start as an enjoyable albeit simplistic kids version of Gundam. And who knows? AGE might have failed in the ratings, but it has introduced the kids to space wars again. Maybe they will check out the other entries into the franchise in the future. Think positive :D (I'm known for being negative, what's wrong with me?)
reeoyuy wrote:Now to slightly related to point above, seems like some people glad that AGE bombed. They hope that Sunrise learned the lesson and will make that gritty adult Gundam they always hope for. However, if that Nikkei article to be believed, one factor to be blamed for the low rating is that young audience that AGE targeted is unfamiliar with the concept of war (or space war). The one thing that makes AGE still watchable for us. Now what IF Sunrise learned that, and in another attempt to tap into kid market, create the real Digimon-style Gundam? You know, the one we feared AGE will turn into when it was first announced. Best case scenario, we'll get more Gunpla Builders which I'm OK with. Worst is, well, Digimon Gundam.
this is what I fear most of all. Although a Gunpla Builders show would be welcome. Anything than watching a yellow, strangely cuddly yellow mecha fighting the devious rocketmen from the secret space colony.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
DuelGundam2099

Although a Gunpla Builders show would be welcome.
Seconded, Beargguy and Forever Gundam for the win!

Although seriously folks, Age hasn't bombed yet until the ratings average is below 2 percent.
Raptor

I love it when people say that AGE doesn't seem as dark as "older" Gundam shows.
Spoiler
You want Zeta dark? Flit also watched his mother die. Kamille lost his dad, Bruzer, the man who was basically Flit's surrogate father died to save Nora. As for early loss, Kamille lost Roberto, Flit, Don Boyage. For Zeta, Emma, Reccoa, Four. For AGE, Grudek, Woolf, Yurin. Then later his own son.

Now X. Garrod lost Caddoc, and presumably his parents at some point. And the Shogun who's name he didn't even know.

Sure, X has that, "Entire world has been ravaged" thing going for it, but AGE has the "Monsters from Space wanting to wipe out mankind, oh wait, they're actually human, and super evil, and STILL want to wipe out all human life on Earth."
How, exactly, is that not as dark as X, Wing, or even most of Zeta, barring of course the end. We don't know how AGE will end yet, it may be even darker.

-Raptor, out.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I'm going to have ten people run across a field, five of which I believe have superior qualities. I shall then toss a grenade in front of them to see who survives even though that course of action might kill all the people I wanted to save.
schwarz ritter

Raptor wrote:I love it when people say that AGE doesn't seem as dark as "older" Gundam shows.
Spoiler
You want Zeta dark? Flit also watched his mother die. Kamille lost his dad, Bruzer, the man who was basically Flit's surrogate father died to save Nora. As for early loss, Kamille lost Roberto, Flit, Don Boyage. For Zeta, Emma, Reccoa, Four. For AGE, Grudek, Woolf, Yurin. Then later his own son.

Now X. Garrod lost Caddoc, and presumably his parents at some point. And the Shogun who's name he didn't even know.

Sure, X has that, "Entire world has been ravaged" thing going for it, but AGE has the "Monsters from Space wanting to wipe out mankind, oh wait, they're actually human, and super evil, and STILL want to wipe out all human life on Earth."
How, exactly, is that not as dark as X, Wing, or even most of Zeta, barring of course the end. We don't know how AGE will end yet, it may be even darker.

-Raptor, out.

To clear something up: I'm just trolling. Perhaps I shouldn't, but I was just trying to add a little bad humor in this discussion, that's all.

The real haters out there, Mr. Raptor, will always hate. Don't mind them. I mean, how many people hate X, my favorite Gundam series? Basically half of the Gundam fandom. And I don't care.

Same goes for AGE: I personally have a little dislike of AGE Gen 3, but other than that, its been better than what I anticipated. I hope it gets better, in both story and ratings.

Again, haters will hate. Don't mind them. They're too bogged down in their own "gravity well", hehe. ;)
Raptor

Lol. I got used to haters a long time ago. ZZ is my favorite Gundam series, after all.

And dang if darkness flees from that series. Perpetual sunshine until over half way through.

I just love to make a good point.

-Raptor, out.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I'm going to have ten people run across a field, five of which I believe have superior qualities. I shall then toss a grenade in front of them to see who survives even though that course of action might kill all the people I wanted to save.