The Official Eureka Seven Ao Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Destiny_Gundam

Re: Eureka Seven Ao

New episode: WTF did I just watch? Seriously B part was trippin' balls and felt like a huge mess if anything.

Also Elena moonlights as a singer, apparently.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Cipher8492

Part-B was trippy, yes, but I'm more concerned about the end of the episode. The picture on that iPad...
Spoiler
theEND!? *que spy movie twist music*
Destiny_Gundam

Could be any old achetype (I think that's what they were called).

I'm running on the theory that AO is kind of a prequel sequel, where it takes place on Earth before the Scub covered it, Eureka having been sent back in time some how.
Toxicity

Episode 7 was certainly interesting, to say the least. Truth is apparently familiar with Ao's mother as well, and it's really irritating how every damn person in this world seems to know about her and yet nobody has bothered saying a word to Ao about it.

There were some small things here and there that I picked up on, mainly the Nirvash's cockpit changing completely for a single scene to have 3 seats instead of just one and its flight mode changing configuration as well briefly. The scene of young Naru staring at the scub burst also caught my attention and made me wonder if that could be the reason for her illness (whatever it is, still hasn't been explained yet) since Ray lost her ability to have children after she witnessed the Seven Swell in the first show.

Lastly, I think having Naru get captured by Truth was really lame. Personally I feel she's a mostly useless and uninteresting character (*braces for impact from having a potentially unpopular opinion*), so having her get captured in order to give Ao motivation or a goal or whatever just seems like a waste. Although from her point of view, I suppose I could understand her motivation for going with Truth, since he can cure her illness somehow just by saying "breathe deeply".
Destiny_Gundam

Naru's illness only appeared after that incident with the scub so yeah, it is the reason for her illness. However previously it was thought that Eureka and the Nirvash saved her, but apparently that wasn't the case.

I'd hold back on calling her useless and uninteresting because she never got the chance to do anything to prove otherwise.

Still, I couldn't help but think of Aquarion Evol. I guess this is what it'd be like if Mikono choose Kagura over Amata.
Compass

I am more and more convinced we are not in the same world as that of Eureka Seven.

The Generation Bleu base, which, IIRC, was said to have been constructed from parts within the Scub Coral, appears to be contain the components of the giant buildings from Eureka Seven.

Furthermore, the existence of a being like Truth, that appears to alternate in shape and form, as well as possess flight, would be more in line with something I'd expect to be created in a dream-like state of the Scub Coral's collective consciousness, where everyone witnesses a state change.

Those flashes of light, to my recollection, also occurred when Eureka bonded with the Scub Coral right before Renton left in the first series.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Toxicity wrote:Lastly, I think having Naru get captured by Truth was really lame. Personally I feel she's a mostly useless and uninteresting character (*braces for impact from having a potentially unpopular opinion*), so having her get captured in order to give Ao motivation or a goal or whatever just seems like a waste.
That is completely reasonable, thank you for expressing an opinion in a not overblown, exaggerated, and rude way. You stated your opinion, put reasonable, thought-out logic behind it, and presented it to us in a way that maybe me see your point of view and accept it.

Thank you,

Soma Taozi
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
DuelGundam2099

Once again we get a neat looking G-Monster and most of the episode is mostly hijinks about...... Stuff. :( I can't even say the action was good, Alleluia just got struck by lightning and Nirvash and the other one bullet spam at close range. The next episode seems to be promising with an underwater fight although I'm not holding my breath. (pun intended)
Toxicity

I'm not sure really what to say regarding this episode, I'm just going to rant for a moment so don't expect too much cohesion from this.

Does anybody else feel that the plot isn't really moving? We're almost 10 episodes into this show and I feel that the show hasn't even really started. The main focus of nearly ever episode thus far has been for Piedpiper to go kill the (G)Monster of the week. Sure, the first show did the same thing (taking forever to get rolling, not the monster of the week part), but the first show was 50 episodes, and I recall hearing that this show is only supposed to be half that length.

I thought the conversation Ao and Fleur had concerning their daddy issues was interesting, but it only reminded me of how irritated I am at the absence of the entire old cast of characters. Ao obviously knew his mother, but this scene made me wonder if Ao has ever seen Renton a single time, and exactly how much animosity is he holding towards Renton?

That's all I've got for now I suppose, if I think of anything else I'll add it in. /rant

Soma, I'm glad to hear that you approve of the tone of my last post. If I were only capable of making hateful insulting posts towards our dearest moderators, I'd have been banned long ago. I assure you that the tone of my posts earlier in this thread are the exception rather than the norm for my typical forum behavior.
angelwingzero

Just saw episode 6 on Hulu, and the mysteries are abound. I'm liking this slow and steady development of all of the characters and the world. We still don't know exactly when this is taking place, but I liked how Ao is going through someof the similar things Renton went through but also "getting it" quicker. The new Nirvash is also cool because it has more than one weapon. The boomerang blade combat in the first show was cool, but I also like how they're not simply copying and pasting that fighting style onto the new Nirvash and Ao. Good show so far.
"So he's wearing an all black pilot suit and you put him in the CRAZY MACHINE. In the mental state that he's already in, does that seem like a good idea?" - My favorite Chris quote.
Destiny_Gundam

The character moments in this episode were nice, though even for a monster of the week show the action is pretty bleh. The first series had high speed surfing dog fights so AO's use of big monsters doesn't allow for that.

As for Ao's view on his father, I think his animosity probably stems from his dad being completely absent. I bet he sees it as his fatehr abandoning his mother to be mistreated by the locals or something.

On Fleur's end she should probably realise that her mother would have chosen to die to save her even if her father didn't make that choice.

Elena continues to be awesome.
daigundam lagaan

Toxicity wrote: Does anybody else feel that the plot isn't really moving? We're almost 10 episodes into this show and I feel that the show hasn't even really started. The main focus of nearly ever episode thus far has been for Piedpiper to go kill the (G)Monster of the week. Sure, the first show did the same thing (taking forever to get rolling, not the monster of the week part), but the first show was 50 episodes, and I recall hearing that this show is only supposed to be half that length.
I do recall the orignal having that same problem of the first quarter of the show not moving at all. But still it could be really good by the end, I'm sure the writers are working on how to answer the questions that are bombarding us. Then again, what made the original for me was the love story, and I don't see much of that here, but it could serve as a conflict.
I really wanna know what the hell
Spoiler
renton could have done to piss Ao off so much. maybe abandoment issues like how Renton experienced?
and I have to say, the atmosphere of this show didn't do much for me compared to the original, especially with the lack of ref boards. In the original, it was pretty damn beautiful
Still waiting on seeing those tears of time.
Compass

Eureka Seven had a huge attrition rate at the beginning because Renton was really initially unlikeable (seriously, an emo kid riding a surfboard and acting like a loser) and the show didn't pace very well in explaining the environment.

For example, we had no idea what Renton's father did or what a Summer of Love was, and we certainly didn't understand the Scub Coral concept until way into the second half of the series.

The first 13 episodes of Eureka Seven could be basically described as high on CHARACTER development. It moved slowly. Remember the secret mission ramen noodle delivery, for example? What that had to do with the series made almost no sense until episode 24 or 25, where you see Eureka sitting alone with the ramen noodles and putting on Renton's secret mission outfit and then viewer starts tearing up.

This series has the same thing going, simply because it's hiding something, just like the first series did. The first series big secret was that the Scub Coral was alive and trying to stop the world from being destroyed, as a sentient being. That comes out of left field.

---

In this one, we're presented with a lot of strange questions, which STILL haven't been explained. There's a lot of paradoxical information going on that should be indicative of how nothing should be taken as its shown.

The geography of a modern-era earth is in conflict with what we know about the planet at the end of Eureka Seven.

Only children are shown flying in LFOs, and are stated to be the only ones capable. Why? Who knows. The original series had plenty of adult pilots.

Nirvash is in its mostly classic form, despite having turned into a humanoid with laser chest right at the end of the original series, and is stated to be the original vehicle, despite having been arguably outside of normal existence post-original series.

People were actually shocked to see an LFO standing on its legs on a ref board. That's a red flag, right there. All the old school KLFs and LFOs were surfers in the original series.

Secret appears to hold superhuman powers, capable of transforming into different identities and causing Scub-coral like hallucinations. We know that, inside the Scub Coral, reality is bent. We've seen it in multiple forms, such as the library or the refrigerator, from the original series.

I continue to be inclined to believe that this is a:
Spoiler
alternate universe created by the Scub Coral post Summer of Love 2, or an internalization of the Scub Coral Consciousness manifesting its dream as the show's reality.
Otherwise, it's just hard to make the pieces fit together.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
DAG101

Just finished episode eight...something interesting I noticed, a few shots make it look like the scub corral drops from the sky...

Also, am I the only one getting an Evangelion vibe from the show right now? Not really a bad thing, just something I noticed
Compass

You would be correct in that regards. The Scub Coral did drop from the sky, as if it came from somewhere else through a portal.

It sure has the EVA vibe:
2 female leads, 1 male lead. Children in suits. Creepy guy. Unexplainable monsters bent on destruction. Shinji's mother is missing. There's a sloth that loves attention instead of a penguin that loves alcohol.

Ha :P
DuelGundam2099

As I was watching this episode I was hoping there would be some military conspiracy, but nope, it turned out to be Truth being a dick. At least we get an underwater G-Monster this episode, the fight might have been just okay, but compared to most of the other fights we've gotten this one was enjoyable.
ydawg314

Was that japan military dude trying to blow up the country with the damaged quartz?.

This may be me being dumb but I keep getting lost
wtf is going on can someone please summarize?
Battle my brute
SD Gundam Online Taiwan IGN: Ydawg314
SD Gundam Online Korea IGN: Layzee
Toxicity

I think they were trying to use it as some kind of power source. I wasn't paying complete attention though whenever I was watching the latest episode, so I could be wrong.
DuelGundam2099

Come to think of it, what DOES quartz have anything to do with the story? I don't recall it being mentioned much in earlier episodes.
Toxicity

Like so much else in this show, the viewer simply hasn't been given much information regarding the Quartz. As we saw this episode, gathering a lot of the stuff together and putting some type of power through it triggers a scub burst and a secret's appearance and I think it was also said in this episode that the Quartz is what the Secrets are drawn to, so who knows what kind of connection there is between the two.