What's Your Current Anime? Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Re: What's Your Current Anime? Mk III

Just finished Sword Art Online, thought it was great and very entertaining! I personally liked how it was more of a romance then action anime...which shouldn't turn people off to it if they don't like the romance aspect. There are some action and the music is bold and moving.

People seemed to think going into this anime that it would be perfect and amazing (especially those who read the light novels) but, although it has flaws, it worked very well for me (I never read the light novels).

I don't think Sword Art Online is for everyone, but if you are undecided between watching it or not, I recommend the former. It is well worth your time!
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
DuelGundam2099

Hey look, Soma's alive! (Dark Duel I owe you 15$).

So yeah I made it to ep 4 in Ninja Robots/Tobikage and it's.... Sort of generic, although Dunbine and King Gainer started out that way and still turned out good so I'm hoping for the same here. I am also still watching Da-Garn and at ep 26 now (although I'm about to watch eps 27 and 28 here at the Justice Time stream shortly), at least they bothered explaining that Oh-Boss is basically Galactus; supposedly Da Garn will be trapped in a closed fissure for the next few episodes and a lion brave fighter that kind of looks like Beralios from Daltanious named Gaon will be the main hero for a bit. This is fine and all, but his tribal-like nature is.... Not so fitting although I'm willing to give him a chance. Finally, some time this January I intend to marathon and finish the old Casshern show since Skaro gave up on it apparently.
ShadowCell

Ghost Stories, ADV dub

the fanatical pentecostal evangelical girl

and the jewish paranormal researcher

and...well, just hajime
DuelGundam2099

*has to retype a 10 minute post because the connection thought it was cute to conk out!*

Well it looks like ShadowCell enjoyed his present.

Over the afternoon I watched the obscure Go Nagai ova Dream Dimension Hunter Fandora because I found it yesterday and I'm stuck on Kamen Rider Fourze until HF fixes ep 37. Only the first episode is subbed, but it was pretty easy to follow the story. Anyway, like anything from Go Nagai it was very imaginative and fun, surprisingly toned down compared to other ova works. Surprisingly little blood and I have never seen an anime with so many panty shots that don't do anything with them. No, really, it's basically minus sexual innuindos, I have to applaud it for that. Seriously Gainax, take notes. :P I also noticed it was extremely different compared to his other works and what usually comes from it (aside from being a bit like Shuten Doji and for some reason also Amon Saga when the latter wasn't even one of his works). I also never thought I'd see a lovecraftian based villain regenerate from a jewel (that was accidentally knocked out of heaven by the comic relief dragon no less) with only his severed arm. :shock: There is not even anyone with sideburns anywhere here. :lol: I guess this just proves how awesome Go Nagai/Dynamic Studios is with so little use of what he/they normally do and still manage to pull off something great; that is why they'll be the best in all of anime history. 8)
DuelGundam2099

So yeah, double posting because I just finished Neo Human Casshern..... *sniff* It was so well done and not just because one of the episode directors was none other than Tomino. I originally thought he got his massively dramatic and dark storytelling from Tadao Nagahama after he took over Raideen, but after watching this? I'm starting to think the Kill Em All reputation starts here because from the first episode to episode 33 the body count is astronomically high (you can pretty much bet every minor character dies before the episode ends, they even trample an orphan puppy at one point! :shock: ) and even compared to Devilman and Cutey Honey there was quite a bit of bloody and cutthroat deaths. Seriously, why the hell were body counts so high in old anime and tokusatsu before the 21st century? Anyway, I was expecting one extremely sad ending, but the last episode actually ended on one hell of a high note with none of the good guys winding up dead and robots being good.

I also watched some OVA a few days ago called The Tokyo Project since it was worked on by none other than Masami Obari and you know what? It was pretty dang good even if Doll 3 (the mech) was sort of generic and it was a tad slow at times.

So why bother double posting? Because according to MAL I have now completely watched 400 anime! Hooray for having no life! :P Maybe I could be the local recommendation guy or something now. *twirls mustache sinisterly*
Flame-X

DuelGundam2099 wrote:Because according to MAL I have now completely watched 400 anime! Hooray for having no life! :P Maybe I could be the local recommendation guy or something now. *twirls mustache sinisterly*
400? Hah! Not even close to my stats. :)

Anyways, I just finished watching the final episode of Hellsing Ultimate. It took 6 effing years to finally finish this OVA.
DuelGundam2099

So all afternoon and evening I have been watching some series called Viper's Creed, a real robot series that apparently aired on G4 but was cut after episode 4. Very little info exists with this series and it was only 12 eps so I gave it a try. WOW. Most under rated anime ever? Robots turning into motorcycles armed with not only a gatling gun and a missile pod, but a friggin grenade launcher attached M16 with A FRIGGIN CHAINSAW!? With their enemies being bug mechs!? And the only thing to complain about is the music!? Oh man, this is full of epic WIN! I also thought this was going to be a monster of the week series (real robots and monsters of the week? I have been looking forward to that forever! Even if Dai-Guard is technically a real robot series but whatever), but with eps 5 and 6 that proved not true. :( At least I am half way through and as long as it does not end on a stupid/bad note it is safe to say I am going to enjoy this. Perhaps you mechatalkanoids should check this
T0-burnth1sHeart

While waiting for the Devil Survivor 2 anime this April, I would reccomend Oda Nobuna no Yabou, Kyoukai Senjou No Horizon, and Persona -trinity soul-. Also, due to a favorite youtube uploader doing a Zone of The Enders playthrough, a few curious searches led me to discover the anime series ZoTE Dolores i, which has been covered in full on the site, coincidentally. The humour, interaction and mecha action are all top notch. If you haven't watched the it, I would heavily suggest giving it a shot.
Anonymoose

T0-burnth1sHeart wrote:I would reccomend Oda Nobuna no Yabou...and Persona -trinity soul-.
second.jpg
DuelGundam2099

So a while ago I finished Viper's Creed, I enjoyed it since it is basically the good parts of FMP. Also been watching Tobikage and made it to ep 20........ Yeah, it's not getting better. Outside of the music there isn't anything really wrong with it, but it's.... You know how Mospeada, the first third of the original Macross, and the first half of Layzner is basically nothing but "reach the destination point" filled with lots of filler with one short action scene per episode for the preview? That's this series! I don't mind that until Skeleton appeared that only two enemy robots served as threats and I don't mind the action scenes themselves since they are kind of good. However, the constant melodrama gets so old after awhi- You know, I'm starting to see WHY people hate the CE timeline so much. :shock: I'll give it this much, Hazzard's not a bad villain, in fact his sneaky tactics probably make him the most noteworthy character in the whole series. I don't know, Skeleton's designated pilot (some chick with blue hair) appears next ep and said mech had a decent first appearance so maybe something good will come from her.

I also started watching Heroman recently and am up to ep 8; unlike Tobikage I know Heroman won't be going from copyright nazis since it's on Crunchyroll. Since it was from Stan Lee I knew I'd have to see it eventually and with UX coming out soon I figured now was a good time to see it. It is........ eh? I don't know, I dislike the music but I think the skrugg are neat. The action is good, but there really isn't much else to it, not to mention the heroes are kind of........... I want to say bland, but that would imply harshness. :? I'm not dissing it or anything, I'm just hoping it gets better (eventually).

BTW anyone else here seen Zegapain? I thought about giving it a try.
YokozunaBulldozer

Robotics Notes
Inferno Cop
Danball Senki W
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
DuelGundam2099

I just finished Tobikage by marathoning the other 23 episodes of the series.............

WOW

I never thought I'd see an ending to an anime worse than Kekkaishi's, but as of today I have been proven wrong. Where do I begin? I mean in ep 40 they destroy both of King Annex's fortresses and in ep 41 they finally destroy Hazzard before figuring out that the electric super computer or whatever needed both Tobikage AND a second version of him (in this case Zerokage) to power the Elshank to have.... Golden power and fly off? The last two episodes, right as the Elshank heads off for Ladoria, ARE FRIGGIN CLIPSHOWS! Not even regular clipshows, they're just Hazzard commenting on random scenes where half of them don't pertain to him! I'M NOT JOKING! AND THE STORY ENDS...... WITH THAT!? Say what you will about Gundam ZZ, Victory, Seed, Seed Destiny, and Age but AT LEAST THEY CONCLUDED THEIR FLIPPIN' STORY! I.... I don't know what to say! I want to be furious, but it baffles me so badly that I feel like my jaw was slapped off my skull hinges and died of blood-loss! Weird analogy, but.... WOW. This brings up some questions like:

If Annex is dead, why bring the martian warriors back to Ladorio? How come Lumenia had an entire copy of the ancient text when Annex only had two thirds? What happened to her mother? Which woman did Joe choose? If Tobikage was part of the Elshank's war machine battalion how does he sneak on and off the ship without anyone noticing? Where does he stay? Since they needed a machine like Zerokage to boost the electric super computer, does that mean the entire prophecy banked on the Zaboom Army making an exact copy? What type of energy were both of them using that made them that unique/powerful and whatnot? Who specifically made that weird prophecy text? And most importantly: WHY THE HELL DID THEY END THE SERIES LIKE THAT!?

I could also ask why Mike's crush on Schaffe never went anywhere, but it was only for what two episodes? I take it the incest practice took him off romance forever. Not much else to comment other than Charme never really did much of anything, Hazzard took a back seat the second half, the fights got better, and the rivalry between Joe and Tobikage against Yllbora and Zerokage was well done which kind of reminds me of Tekkaman Blade for some reason.

Is Tobikage the worst mech anime? No. Rayearth still easily holds that title with Goldran close behind and arguably even Wings of Rean backing the rear even if I sort of liked it too. Still, you don't end something like that and expect the audience to call it satisfying.

Okay.

Rant over.

Yeah.

*cough*
YokozunaBulldozer

I found Tobikage amusing every time the titular mech would just pop out last minute, help out, and then run away. When I watched it as a kid I just ended scratching my head wondering if it was some joke.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
DuelGundam2099

So recently I finished Heroman and enjoyed it quite a bit even if Will did very little when he returned. Last week I watched some two part anime by Clamp called Tokyo Babylon, kind of bad (it is from Clamp after all) although it had some psychological horror elements going for it. Last weekend I watched the first L.Gaim compilation ova and despite Chris disliking it I thought it was sort of entertaining; I will eventually see the second one before seeing the real side story that is the third.

Also been watching Veevee Dread Operation *waits for Strike Zero's reaction* :lol: Sorry, I've been wanting to say that for joke purposes.

Anyway I have been watching Inferno Cop and Vividred Operation just not to feel left out this season. Kind of wondering if I should start Zegapain, but I have found very little info on the mechs themselves. :? I have also been giving serious consideration toward watching Nadia: Secret of The Blue Waters (implying water is somehow normally other colors) although considering the amount of stuff I have been marathoning lately (not just anime but toku stuff as well) I might take a small break from anime or at least until I finish what I'm watching now which is highly enjoyable even if it is cheesy as hell.
KudosForce

@DuelGundam2099: I've been watching L-Gaim proper myself (up to ep 8 so far). Flawed or no, it is darned entertaining so far, that I agree. One thing I'm liking in particular (besides L-Gaim and its hydraulics), is the slight squash-and-stretch thing the character animation has going on. Quite snappy. :mrgreen:

Regarding Nadia, a fair warning: I heard that the sponsors had Gainax shoehorn a bunch of filler eps in the middle of production, much to Anno's dismay. Just so you know when you get around to it.
DuelGundam2099

I've been watching L-Gaim proper myself (up to ep 8 so far). Flawed or no, it is darned entertaining so far, that I agree. One thing I'm liking in particular (besides L-Gaim and its hydraulics), is the slight squash-and-stretch thing the character animation has going on. Quite snappy.
Truthfully the series felt mediocre until Mark 2 showed up although Gavale and his Ashura Temple did barely save it for me.
I heard that the sponsors had Gainax shoehorn a bunch of filler eps in the middle of production, much to Anno's dismay.
I am aware of that and that is not my concern, what I am concerned is that nobody likes the movie for some reason and since this is Gainax there is no telling if they'll go fan service happy or not. I mean this is the same anime company that tried to make itself famous because "lol our boobs bounce!" :roll: I will say this much: At least Blazing Transfer Student didn't have any of that so it isn't like it's beyond their capabilities NOT to use that. I also have bones to pick with idiots that claim their endings are "lol random/terrible" and "deconstructions", but that is another topic entirely.

I'll start watching Nadia after I finish the toku Kikaider and right after it's sequel Kikaider 01. What? I found them in subs and it is entertaining as hell.
KudosForce

At least Blazing Transfer Student didn't have any of that so it isn't like it's beyond their capabilities NOT to use that.
That was a fairly short adaptation, though, so take that as you will.
I'll start watching Nadia after I finish the toku Kikaider and right after it's sequel Kikaider 01. What? I found them in subs and it is entertaining as hell.
Good, since I heard toku Kikaider is VERY formulaic.
DuelGundam2099

That was a fairly short adaptation, though, so take that as you will.
Still had no fan service. 8)
Good, since I heard toku Kikaider is VERY formulaic.
It is, but I have seen far worse and I am a big fan of monsters of the week. Personally I'm more interested in Kaiketsu Zubat, but until I find a stream source or Youku stops being a dick I cannot be picky as to what toku shows come by. If you want genuinely BAD tokusatsu go watch Bio Planet WoO, it's basically a pathetic and slowly paced E.T. knockoff series and the sad part is it is from Tsubaraya of all places. :evil:
KudosForce

DuelGundam2099 wrote:It is, but I have seen far worse and I am a big fan of monsters of the week. Personally I'm more interested in Kaiketsu Zubat, but until I find a stream source or Youku stops being a dick I cannot be picky as to what toku shows come by. If you want genuinely BAD tokusatsu go watch Bio Planet WoO, it's basically a pathetic and slowly paced E.T. knockoff series and the sad part is it is from Tsubaraya of all places. :evil:
I'd rather avoid bad shows, heh (unless I'm REALLY curious, as in the case of SEED/Destiny), but thanks for the warning. I had no idea they dropped the ball so much on that one.

Though for the record, I am a fellow monster of the week fan. :wink: I've been considering the acquisition of JN Productions' release of Kikaider, so this reassures me.

Anyway, enough off-topic, so I'll stop replying for now.
Last edited by KudosForce on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.