The Official Identify this Show Thread

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
ShadowCell

Re: The Official Identify this Show Thread

threads merged. carry on.
DuelGundam2099

If it was dubbed that would easily narrow it down.
the mechas don't look that much like robots( with legs and arms, or have a human trace)
So are they walking tanks?
gsc000

That's the deal, but i'm almost sure it was dubbed.

I misspoke, they had legs and body, the thing is, they didn't had a head in the form of a human( mouth, nose...)( something like this... http://www.ufunk.net/wp-content/uploads ... 50x638.jpg)

they had this big guns and the mechas had numbers.

the first episode this group was there to make an impression show, but one of their members couldn't make then they got a guy who was in this tournament to join them, which some of the people in this group didn't liked and made this new guy to pass through lots of training and tests...

anyway the mechas needed a pilot, they would move without it and the guns used real bullets, not lasers...
gsc000

i used to watch it on television, around 2003, 2004 ...
gsc000

nobody know ?? .. :(
ShadowCell

please don't spam this thread with requests. if nobody knows, then nobody knows.
Kei Katsuragi

If it was dubbed (in english) and loosely based on what you have told us, you mite be referring to the microseries version of IGPX (not the later TV series, that was about racing), which was a mech tournament based 5 episode Toonami original series that ran in 2003.
Gattsu_ie

Please help!! Cannot remember name of Anime!!

Howdy...

I have been trying to find the name of a fantastic medieval mecha anime I saw 1 episode of...that was named incorrectly....from a cd I got from my bro about 9-10 years ago

The name was record of lodoss war... but unfortunately that isnt the anime I'm looking for...its nothing like it.

All I can remember is, there was a scene with this cool looking, long grey haired, hard ass old guy who was training in a castle, fighting a mech with a giant sword... kinda like berserk...with a young king character.... who's castle was attacked all of a sudden by an unknown alien mechs.

The old dude took off fighting the mechs alone as to let the young lad escape, gets killed...after that I'm blank....

Animation was crazy nice looking kind of like claymore, but from what I can remember a lot more 'animated'

Any help on this would be massively appreciated!!

If someone gets me the name of it...I'll buy you a lovely pint of Guinness as a reward! :)
Dark Duel

Re: Please help!! Cannot remember name of Anime!!

Gattsu_ie wrote:hard ass old guy who was training in a castle, fighting a mech with a giant sword... kinda like berserk...with a young king character.... who's castle was attacked all of a sudden by an unknown alien mechs.

The old dude took off fighting the mechs alone as to let the young lad escape, gets killed...after that I'm blank....
I'm going from faint memories here, but based on that alone, it sounds to me like you're looking for Vision of Escaflowne. That it?
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Gattsu_ie

Hey Dark Duel,

Thanks for the help, but thats not it :(

The old guy was well built and fought with a massive sword...

If you have ever played a game called Xenogears the characters and style are very similar.

Thank for the help dude, much appreciated!
Chris
Administrator

We have a stickied thread for exactly this sort of topic. Please pay attention when posting. Thread merged.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
hitokirigarou

@Gattsu_ie,

Is it either the Panzer World Galient TV series or OVAs?
Patrol1985

Hello everyone,

There is one mecha anime I've been trying to find for over 10 years without success. Since members of this forum seem to be experts on mecha anime, I trust you will help me :)

Here is what I know / remember:

1. I saw the anime early in the 90s (1991 or something), but it was on a VHS so it might as well have been from the 70s or whatever. The point is - it is not new.
2. The anime begins with kids playing baseball or something like that. One of the kids finds a very small statue of an eagle. Later, those kids climb a mountain (a volcano perhaps?) and one of the rocks has a hole in it shaped exactly like the small eagle statue. Obviously the kids insert the statue into the hole which triggers some mechanism and activates a robot hidden inside the mountain. Later kids use this robot to fight some aliens invading the Earth. As far as I remember, the aliens had two major robots of their own, one of them was mainly green and one of them was mainly white.
3. I'm sure the anime had something to do with "Mazinger" series, because I knew the name before I had Internet access to check what it was, but I tried to search for this anime using the "Mazinger" keyword and the results were not what I was looking for. Like I said, the anime was on a VHS, so either the translator mixed those two anime up, or I didn't search right.
4. The VHS also contained trailers of other mecha anime, but I think it's dependent on release so it doesn't matter. Still, it's a detail I remember.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)
AmuroNT1

Doesn't really sound like any parts of the Mazinger Saga I'm familiar with, even God Mazinger. Do you remember any other details that might be helpful? Like, can you give any kind of additional details on the hero robot, like its general appearance or any of its weapons or attacks?
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Patrol1985

AmuroNT1 wrote:Doesn't really sound like any parts of the Mazinger Saga I'm familiar with, even God Mazinger. Do you remember any other details that might be helpful? Like, can you give any kind of additional details on the hero robot, like its general appearance or any of its weapons or attacks?
First of all, thanks for the reply.

After that many years I have discovered something which puts me A LOT closer to finding the answer (I hope). I decided to type into google how I remember the robot's name was pronounced. The reader pronounced it "Mazinga" so that's what I typed and here is what I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc6sfqelctU

The first two minutes of this video contain THIS EXACT trailer I wrote about in point 4) in my previous post. Once I saw it I recalled the good robot and the evil robot from the trailer along with detailed scenes (I remember I was really scared as a kid by this brief scene in which the evil robot uses a built-in mechanical saw to cut through the good robot's head :D)

The film which follows the trailer is not what I recall from the VHS, but MAYBE the same studio produced the film I am looking for. So do any of you know anything about this movie ("Protectors of the Universe") or other productions of the same authors?

p.s.

It seems that the robot's name really is "Mazinga". That's why I thought it had something to do with Mazinger.
AmuroNT1

I'm afraid you're not gonna have a whole lot of luck tracking this one down; it's just a cut-rate ripoff of whatever giant robot anime the producers could get their hands on. Things like that were apparently oddly common in the 70s and 80s, presumably because they required a lot less effort than licensing a regular anime. That video you linked is apparently part of the entire thing uploaded to YT, so there you go.

Unfortunately, things like this are pretty blatant in the ripping-off; note that the main robot is basically just Mazinger Z's head slapped onto the RX-78 Gundam's body. Meanwhile, that black and red robot that appears at the 1:12 mark is simply a recolor of Brave Raideen, wielding the RX-78's beam rifle. (Not that Americans are exactly innocent of this...does the name "Baron Karza" ring a bell? :P)

This video actually made me do a double-take, because parts of it were used in an even worse production, Space Thunder Kids, which was riffed by That Guy With The Glasses members Spoony and Bennett the Sage.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Patrol1985

AmuroNT1 wrote:I'm afraid you're not gonna have a whole lot of luck tracking this one down
No luck is needed, because you helped me and after more than 15 years I FOUND IT!!!

I checked out this "Space Thunder Kids" movie you told me about and even though it was not what I was looking for, it contained some scenes from my lost movie! The youtube description contained a list of anime from which "Space Thunder Kids" was spliced, so I checked them and arrived at what I've been seeking.

The movie I was looking for is "Defenders of Space" a.k.a. "Phoenix King" and it is from 1984. Actually, somebody uploaded a VHS rip from the exact version I watched as a kid (with a Polish reader too!). Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBNP29_edOA

And here are the moments I've written about:

8:00 minute mark is when the kids play baseball
9:33 minute mark is when the kids find the figurine of a bird (it was a phoenix after all, not an eagle :P)
38:23 minute mark is when the kids insert the figurine into a rock and the good robot emerges
51:04 minute mark is when you can see the evil robots I mentioned, the green one and the white one

But what shocked me the most was the fact that the good robot looks EXACTLY like Inferno from Transformers (G1). I've been a fan of the Transformers since kindergarten, meaning 1991. Also, back in 1991 I bought a sticker album which I have to this day. Inferno is in there and I know I really liked him as a kid, but I forgot why :D. I mean, he wasn't as prominent in comics or cartoons as other characters. I couldn't think of one objective reason why I considered him so cool. Now I know - I probably linked his character to "Defenders of Space" (which I had seen before the "Transformers"). Up until today I couldn't remember what the robot looked like. All I knew was that it lacked a faceplate, unlike "Mazinga" :P

Big thanks for your help! Now I can finally rest :D
Tallthang

Looking for an anime! Please help

So I badly need help, I've been looking for years for an anime and I can't find it, for those of you who know of vandread it was made in 2000 which has a similar style to the anime I'm looking for, I watched vandread and the other anime about 6 years ago so it's older. The only thing I can remember is that there was like a main mecha which was like a pinkish red mecha, not to bulky but it had the cockpit near the crotch. That's all I really know, I know the main character was a man. Sorry for not knowing more. I really have tried to find it but I know if u say the name or I see an image ill remember, thanks for the help in advance.
Strike Zero

Re: Looking for an anime! Please help

First of all, it sounds like you may be referring to Zone of the Enders: Dolores, i

Secondly, we do have a thread set up for these sorts of questions, so post them there the next time you come up with another one.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
asdfth12

Can anyone remember the movie I'm thinking about?

Apologizing in advance since I barely remember anything about it.

Anyway, it was a movie I rented about ten years ago.

It was a mecha movie, from whatt I remember of the animation style I think it was released in the late 80's to early 90's, and it was on VHS.

I can't remember much about the movie except two part - One combat scene about mid movie, I think, the main character (He had either black or brown hair, I think?) pushes a mechanic out of the way to take one of the mechs out to fight (It was a shade of green, with I think either 04 or 05 painted on the right shoulder), and the mechanic is screaming that he better not damage it. And then the final part is, I think, a building (The secret weapon that they were searching for, if I remember right) transforming into a large mecha (Or was it a spaceship?) and the commander (He was older, I;d figure late 50's with a gray beard) firing off it's big cannon at I can't remember what. And the movie was in English.

I know, not a whole lot to go on, and most of what I do remember is pretty similar of movies from when I think it was released, but hopefully someone knows what I'm thinking of. If anyone has a guess as to what it is, point me to a page on it. Despite forgetting practically the entire movie, I'm pretty sure that I would recognize it if I saw it.