The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
pirx

Re: The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

Thanks Seto!
I see. Squeezing 26 25 minute series into 2 hour movie... (cough) Gundam SEED movies (cough)
Arbiter GUNDAM

pirx wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:20 am Thanks Seto!
I see. Squeezing 26 25 minute series into 2 hour movie... (cough) Gundam SEED movies (cough)
Don't give up too quick, by most indications the movie is really good! ('course we won't really know until the BD comes out....)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Seto Kaiba

pirx wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:20 am Thanks Seto!
Let's not get crazy... it can't possibly be THAT bad.

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:21 am Don't give up too quick, by most indications the movie is really good! ('course we won't really know until the BD comes out....)
Dunno if I'd go as far as to say most indications are the movie is really good.

A lot of the reviews, including ANN's, have been pretty lukewarm on the subject of the movie. Indications are that it suffers from the usual compilation movie issue of being no ambassador to those who have not watched the series and having plot threads brutally truncated, abandoned midstream, or coming out of nowhere to fit the film's runtime. Some reviews have mentioned moments of weak choreography and moments of dodgy animation in the Walkure performances, though those same reviews also invariably indicated a better balance of combat and singing and heaped praise on the combat choreography and animation... so there's that.

(The best one I've read so far was actually written rather trollishly in romanized Japanese using the Zentradi alphabet, forcing us to transliterate it back into English characters before translating it. Seriously, mad props to that chap on Twitter making us WORK for our spoilers.)

One thing most reviewers seem to agree on is that the film is definitely "for fans". If you liked the series, you'll probably like the movie. If you didn't, you probably won't.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Dark Duel

Really there's only one thing I care about with regards to these movies.
Are there any new songs, or is it the same ones that were already in the series?
Because as disappointing IMO as Delta was overall, the songs were mostly pretty great.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Arbiter GUNDAM

Dark Duel wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:39 pm Really there's only one thing I care about with regards to these movies.
Are there any new songs, or is it the same ones that were already in the series?
Because as disappointing IMO as Delta was overall, the songs were mostly pretty great.
Of course, the new album dropped today. ;)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Dark Duel

Cool. I'll have to check that out when I get the opportunity.
Thanks.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
pirx

Mentioning SEED movies i had more in mind that they were horribly edited and hard to follow for persons not familiar with show already.
My friends who watched first SEED movie with me (but they did not watch the show) were unable to follow the story and even grasp which side is which due to the particulary bad editing of the first movie.
I was more hoping of DYRL-style retelling of the original story. Another thing - did they expand on ending or it is basically the same?
Seto Kaiba

With a little luck, I'll have a few copies of the theater pamphlet for the movie in a week or so... so I can start digging into the Armored Siegfried, Mirage's Draken, and Hayate's VF-31 w/ Lilldrakens.

pirx wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:22 am I was more hoping of DYRL-style retelling of the original story. Another thing - did they expand on ending or it is basically the same?
Macross Delta: Passionate Walkure is closer to the Macross Frontier movies in terms of how different it is from the series. Events are compressed, reordered, but the first half is still more or less the same as what was in the TV series, and the second half tells a somewhat different story.

Somewhat frustratingly, the ending is essentially unchanged.
The Macross Mecha Manual
pirx

Thanks Seto! Hopefully i will get the movie. I want to watch it regardless.
yazi88

So is this the only Macross Delta movie or is there going to be another one like the Frontier Movies?
Seto Kaiba

yazi88 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:37 pm So is this the only Macross Delta movie or is there going to be another one like the Frontier Movies?
As far as we know, this is the only one.

The film reportedly ends with the same ending as the series, and no mention is made of any trailer for a second at the end they way they did in Macross Frontier: Itsuwari no Utahime.

It's generally suspected their attention is focused on the forthcoming next Macross TV series that was initially mentioned a little over a year ago during a Walkure public event. (There was a brief accidental stir over it when a Twitter post was interpreted to mean that a techno group called adolinkers was providing the opening theme, that was later revealed to be a misunderstanding that it was for Kawamori's other project, Jushinki Pandora.)
The Macross Mecha Manual
yazi88

Damn... that sucks, but then again I believe the Frontier movies it was announced in the beginning there was going to be more than 1 movie. Sadly not the case for delta.

As usual, thank you for the info Seta Kaiba.
Seto Kaiba

yazi88 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:59 pm Damn... that sucks, but then again I believe the Frontier movies it was announced in the beginning there was going to be more than 1 movie. Sadly not the case for delta.
It's not like we're walking away empty-handed... we got a couple new mechanical designs like the VF-31's new Armored Pack, a Xaos-operated Sv-262Ba in Mirage's colors, and a VF-31F w/ Lilldrakens, a couple of new songs, and the promise of a new Macross series later this year.

Plus we've still got ongoing manga and light novel adaptations of Delta, and if nothing else the novels always end up being a gold mine of connections to other shows.
The Macross Mecha Manual
yazi88

I guess... its just that ending to Delta was a huge letdown... and its sad to hear its pretty much the same for the movie... oh well. Atleast the next Macross production isn't too far off and I can hopefully wash the taste out of Delta's ending with the new show.
False Prophet

Why no one here have talked about the music? I listened to the movie's ost, and by Delta's standard, it is good. But there is also no hit either!
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:41 am Why no one here have talked about the music? I listened to the movie's ost, and by Delta's standard, it is good. But there is also no hit either!
That might have a lot to do with the fact that the movie's CD with the new songs only having been out for like a week... international shipping from Japan is EXPENSIVE, so a lot of people probably weren't willing to drop a sum greater than the cost of the album just to get the CD by express mail.

Hell, I ordered my copy the day it came out and paid for express shipping... and it finally arrived yesterday.

(Haven't gotten to listen to it yet tho.)
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Seto Kaiba wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:37 am
False Prophet wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:41 am Why no one here have talked about the music? I listened to the movie's ost, and by Delta's standard, it is good. But there is also no hit either!
That might have a lot to do with the fact that the movie's CD with the new songs only having been out for like a week... international shipping from Japan is EXPENSIVE, so a lot of people probably weren't willing to drop a sum greater than the cost of the album just to get the CD by express mail.

Hell, I ordered my copy the day it came out and paid for express shipping... and it finally arrived yesterday.

(Haven't gotten to listen to it yet tho.)
No, no, I am talking about having no outstanding new song.

But then again, it seems to me that Macross music have been more of a reflection of current trends than trend-settlers.
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:05 pm No, no, I am talking about having no outstanding new song.

But then again, it seems to me that Macross music have been more of a reflection of current trends than trend-settlers.
Dunno 'bout the lack of trend-setters, considering how popular Walkure has turned out to be in Japan... and how popular other Macross vocalists have historically been, like Yoshiki Fukuyama (solo artist and one of the members of JAM Project) and his band Hummingbird (who recorded dozens of albums for Macross), or Mari Iijima, whose fame as Minmay was such that it kind of drove her out of Japan.

Haven't listened to the new album yet, but the Delta TV series had some pretty stand-out songs as it is... with the most-often cited being Forbidden Borderline, Our Battlefield, Giraffe Blues, and Walkure Won't Stop.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Seto Kaiba wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:16 pm
False Prophet wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:05 pm No, no, I am talking about having no outstanding new song.

Dunno 'bout the lack of trend-setters, considering how popular Walkure has turned out to be in Japan... and how popular other Macross vocalists have historically been, like Yoshiki Fukuyama (solo artist and one of the members of JAM Project) and his band Hummingbird (who recorded dozens of albums for Macross), or Mari Iijima, whose fame as Minmay was such that it kind of drove her out of Japan.

Haven't listened to the new album yet, but the Delta TV series had some pretty stand-out songs as it is... with the most-often cited being Forbidden Borderline, Our Battlefield, Giraffe Blues, and Walkure Won't Stop.
Forgive me if I am wrong or being disrespect, but I personally (and from the forums which I have read) have the impression that Fukuyama is among the weaker member of JAM Project.

And Mari Iijima... How big the original Macross to the audiences was anyway? I think that the claim Macross invented Otaku culture has some merits, but wat it really, really correct?

Then again, if you visit the forums and see how active the old guys (back when Robotech first aired) are still... It is kind of amazing how more than one guys I have personal contact with were driven to Japan because of Macross.
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:47 pm Forgive me if I am wrong or being disrespect, but I personally (and from the forums which I have read) have the impression that Fukuyama is among the weaker member of JAM Project.
No worries.

I'm not sure about whether Fukuyama is one of the weaker members of JAM Project, but I'm pretty sure that he's either #1 or #2 in terms of members with the biggest discographies. For a long time, Hummingbird was making serious bank on Macross 7 by doing albums as Fire Bomber. Famously, that actually prevented Macross 7 from being licensed in the west... companies looking to license the series had to also obtain the rights to the music, and JVC made the music rights a package deal for both the songs used in the series itself and the other albums. That made it too expensive for any western distributor at the time to get.

False Prophet wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:47 pm And Mari Iijima... How big the original Macross to the audiences was anyway?
The original Super Dimension Fortress Macross series was HUGE when it first came out. Amusingly, its sponsor Big West Advertising Co. Ltd. was doing its first-ever animation sponsorship and wasn't convinced it was going to succeed, so they had its run reduced from 49 episodes to 27 in the development process. The show's runaway smash hit ratings were such a surprise to Big West that after episode 3 aired they approved an extension of the series to 36 episodes, and shortly after that, a feature film.

Mari had a lot of problems as a result of that success, getting typecast as Minmay in the same way that the actors on Star Trek and Star Wars did because of the success of those properties. It says a LOT that, thirty-five years on, Do You Remember Love? is one of the most instantly recognizable songs in all of anime.

One thing Macross has always been excellent about is launching musical careers, though I think this most recent case is the first time they've straight-up CREATED a group for a show rather than selecting a new singer from the label.

False Prophet wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:47 pm I think that the claim Macross invented Otaku culture has some merits, but wat it really, really correct?
Funnily enough, I've always heard Gundam credited with that... specifically, the big phenomenon of the original series that led to some of the first public cosplay events, like the announcement of the movie version. Macross was probably one of the first shows in a position to really capitalize on it, though.

Macross was a series created, in no small part, by Gundam fans. Misa's callsign of "Gunsight One" is a nod to the Gundam fanzine several of the show's creators ran, titled "Gunsight", and there are an array of other nods to Gundam in the development materials and final art. (Partly because, under its original sponsor, Wiz Group, the show was set to be done as a Gundam parody.)
The Macross Mecha Manual