Knight's & Magic

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Dark Duel

Re: Knight's & Magic

Yeah, that was pretty hilarious. I can't wait to see what the next step is, though I think we've already all seen where all of Ernesti's efforts will be leading up to in the end just going from the OP/ED video sequences. That said, can't wait to see that actually happen, either.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Amion

And that end result is worth watching 13 episodes of good summer fun. It's ice cream in anime form, and I'm more than satisfied to savor each bite.

And if I had to have a Gundam... it would look like that sexy blue monster he's going to build.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Deathzealot

Looks like there is going to be two according to the ending.
Zeonista

The show is still holding up, and holding its course. Ernesti should be lucky he has some female friends to look out for his general welfare. :) The weapons upgrades were good, and I think the small armors so armed could do some good in patrols to drive back the monsters and allow for better use of the armored knights. I enjoyed Ernesti's report to Dixgard-sama which was a great informational presentation, swiftly followed by a development project request! Apparently some other transferred skills proved useful as well. ;) Poor Dixgard-sama, he learned so much but could do so little! But it awakened slumbering memories of a past time filled with the joy of getting a performance tweak on his mecha. It's sort of a Naruto-like ability to get people to help and feel good about helping. The technological progress though does show its own problems, with the limitations of the existing frames. Ernesti will need his patrons in the near future. Also interested in the shady gang and their intentions of obtaining something useful.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Zeonista

On the fifth episode, (spoilers) we finally got mecha versus mecha action, and it kicked much booty. Interesting result, since Ernesti & friends did not completely Save The Day. The clever redhead from the Copper Fangs got away with a prize for her patron. The mission nicely grounded the anime, since it was very much a representation of the proper pseudo-Medieval regional-centric POV that one would expect. "Whatever helps my lord's ambition is good. Whatever hinders my lord's ambition is bad." Also props for the Gundamjack plan, which always keeps things interesting! And at least Ernesti finally got what he needed to succeed. ;)

It was also a good episode in that while Ernesti is the Main Hero, much of the action and tatctical action did not depend on him. All of his friends & acquaintances on-site pitched in and did their best. Despite the light novel origin, the anime is coming across very shounen manga in its presentation, if one could accept a shounen manga hero who has already completed his development & is leading the struggle.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Amion

Those kinds of Shounen heroes would be refreshing at this point, imo.
Dark Duel

Zeonista wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:05 pmDespite the light novel origin, the anime is coming across very shounen manga in its presentation, if one could accept a shounen manga hero who has already completed his development & is leading the struggle.
Amion wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:08 pmThose kinds of Shounen heroes would be refreshing at this point, imo.
Amen to that.
I think that's probably part of why I'm enjoying this show so much.
That, and the pacing is, IMO at least so far, quick without feeling rushed.
But then again I know nothing about the light novel, so I'm judging only based on the episodes themselves.

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Deathzealot

LOL. Ernesti does it again and shocks everyone when he introduces a four-legged Silhouette Knight. The faces when it appears onto the field were priceless. Then the other Knights pop out of the chariot the Four-Legged-one is pulling was something else. But I wonder what the reason for the Chariot other than a carrier for other Knights. I also got the impression that they are going to be creating new Back Weapons for the new Knights, ala Strike Packs, which shall be interesting. Ummm... Maybe that is what the Chariot is for switching out the Back Weapons. Interesting.

Anyways, cannot wait till the next episode. Hopefully, it will be interesting. Though sadly looks like we are halfway through the series. /sad face/
Deathzealot

Sorry for the Double Post. But had to cross-post this from Sufficient Velocity.

You know I just thought of something that kind of explains the need for that Chariot/Carrier. We know that thanks to the Back Weapon System added to the Silhouette Knights and that fancy crystal stuff under the armor that the Mana of the Knight is drained far more than normal. The new Four-Legged Knight has two of those magical engine things built into it. I, therefore, believe that the Chariot/Carrier is to keep the Knights fully fueled and ready for combat. So when they are needed to enter combat, they sport full Mana and ready to fight when they pop out of that Chariot. Also, I believe I mentioned before that the Chariot could also swap out the Back Weapons of those Knights when needed like the mentioned Shield System Ernesti mentioned in this episode. So the Chariot is more than just a simple thing to impress everybody, it has a purpose. I do believe however that it should have had the Silhouette Knights of the Silver Phoenix standing on top of the chariot to make it look even cooler when they entered the arena. Or even Ernesti's new Knight on top of the Chariot and the others running alongside it.
Amion

It's a good day to be a mecha fan. This show is a love letter to us. That Tzendolg or whatever it's called is awesome looking, as is the blue one. I wondered what Ernesti could possibly be building, and it turned out better and flashier than I imagined.

I was surprised how impressive the new mass produced models are compared to the model they're based from. Good show on the part of the crazy old guy, who's probably not reaching his expiration date quite yet, assuming the turban guy isn't doing all the hard thinking.
Deathzealot

You know. With this Episode, I really want a section for Knight's & Magic on MAHQ. For I am having a hard time keeping track of the different Silhouette Knights introduced.

That said, an interesting episode and while I was kind of disappointed about the battle between the two groups was so short it still was an interesting battle. It really showed the difference between having a powerful mecha and being an experienced pilot. Silver Phoenix only really took what two of the experienced Knights while two Phoenix Knights ran out of Mana, therefore, would have been taken out anyway, and the others were just about there. I also was kind amused as the Old Dwarf getting a Geek Out moment with Ernesti. I could see the thoughts going through the heads of the Silver Phoenix members: "Oh god. There is TWO of them!" Also it was interesting to see the Dwarf mentioning that he had forgotten how much passion he put into designing Silhouette Knights and that Ernesti had reminded him of that passion.

The second half the episode was also a bit interesting. But I wonder if them out of Middle School doesn't that mean they now have to enroll in the High School. Instead, they are assigned a brand-new built fort to work out of. Eh. Maybe it's Summer Vacation. /shrug/ That said, the final bit with the two Royal Silhouette Knights was a bit interesting. I had assumed that the former King would get the Gold One, thanks to being the former King, while the Prince got the silver one, for being the Prince.
AmuroNT1

I'm actually kind of glad that the battle ended in a draw, since it shows that Ernie's not completely infallible and help illustrates that there's still a divide between equipment and skill. If they'd won I'd have been a little disappointed, but if they'd dominated I would have cried foul.

I'm glad the narrator has mellowed down, but these timeskips are kind of getting on my nerves. The thing a lot of people forget about timeskips is that they're essentially saying "Nothing important happened between then and now". Timeskips can be useful sparingly, but K&M has just been blitzing through Ernie's youth at a breakneck speed. I mean, he entered the school at the start of the series and in this episode he's graduated - just consider how much time has gone by with the characters effectively doing nothing. It just makes things feel uneven.

I will say, I do appreciate the King being such an amusing character, especially the flashback to show that he was pretty wild in his youth.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
MythSearcher

AmuroNT1 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:58 pm I'm actually kind of glad that the battle ended in a draw, since it shows that Ernie's not completely infallible and help illustrates that there's still a divide between equipment and skill. If they'd won I'd have been a little disappointed, but if they'd dominated I would have cried foul.

I'm glad the narrator has mellowed down, but these timeskips are kind of getting on my nerves. The thing a lot of people forget about timeskips is that they're essentially saying "Nothing important happened between then and now". Timeskips can be useful sparingly, but K&M has just been blitzing through Ernie's youth at a breakneck speed. I mean, he entered the school at the start of the series and in this episode he's graduated - just consider how much time has gone by with the characters effectively doing nothing. It just makes things feel uneven.

I will say, I do appreciate the King being such an amusing character, especially the flashback to show that he was pretty wild in his youth.
Read all of the web novel before watching the anime, may contain spoilers.

This is the same in the novel, the battle ended in a draw, which is somehow already something of an impossible feat, opposing pilots are experienced world top class pilots AND using refined units instead of super unbalanced testbeds that have the same power source, although given the actual circumstances, they would have lost if the battle continued since most of them will be out of mana pretty soon.
However, they had won the war, since they showed their worth to everybody including their opponent, the lab.

Too bad Toybox's battle record will pretty much end here, pure artistic reasons I like it more than Ikaruga(yes, the OTHER blue mecha in the OP and ED). I also hate it that once one Ikaruga, you lost every bit of realistic depiction of real robots, and it jumped to super robot genre. In the novel, you can have others fighting in a fair and square real robot genre style, while Ikaruga is just curbstomping the rest of the enemies like target practicing. The unit only got destroyed once in a much later arc (highly not likely to be included in this season) and only because the enemies it faces had a special attack that was not seen before.

BTW, don't know if anyone posted earlier, but the original designs by the author looks nothing like what you see in the show.
(from top to bottom, pictured units only, picture is linked if you don't have a naruo account)
http://ncode.syosetu.com/n1743s/8/
1) Earlcumber
2) Guair
3) Telestale
http://ncode.syosetu.com/n1743s/9/
1) Ikaruga (the overpowered super robot of the show)
2) Goldleo (the gold lion for the hotblooded idiot)
3) Zwendlimbo (mass production type of Zwendog, the centaur type the twins piloted, the limbo is a single pilot version)
http://ncode.syosetu.com/n1743s/10/
1) Kardatoa
2) Swordwort (Philip's unit, the commander who lead the legion in the 1st and 2nd ep against the turtle)
3) Highmawort (Morden's Unit)
http://ncode.syosetu.com/n1743s/11/
1) Shaloudek (Stealth assassination unit, assaulted the fortress)
Spoiler
2) Swordman (enemy unit from the west)
Deathzealot wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:36 pm You know. With this Episode, I really want a section for Knight's & Magic on MAHQ. For I am having a hard time keeping track of the different Silhouette Knights introduced.

That said, an interesting episode and while I was kind of disappointed about the battle between the two groups was so short it still was an interesting battle. It really showed the difference between having a powerful mecha and being an experienced pilot. Silver Phoenix only really took what two of the experienced Knights while two Phoenix Knights ran out of Mana, therefore, would have been taken out anyway, and the others were just about there. I also was kind amused as the Old Dwarf getting a Geek Out moment with Ernesti. I could see the thoughts going through the heads of the Silver Phoenix members: "Oh god. There is TWO of them!" Also it was interesting to see the Dwarf mentioning that he had forgotten how much passion he put into designing Silhouette Knights and that Ernesti had reminded him of that passion.

The second half the episode was also a bit interesting. But I wonder if them out of Middle School doesn't that mean they now have to enroll in the High School. Instead, they are assigned a brand-new built fort to work out of. Eh. Maybe it's Summer Vacation. /shrug/ That said, the final bit with the two Royal Silhouette Knights was a bit interesting. I had assumed that the former King would get the Gold One, thanks to being the former King, while the Prince got the silver one, for being the Prince.
You don't have to. The ones you see now are mostly testbeds, with the exception of the old mass-production units, or customized student models, the commanders' models and the mass production model of the centaur type, Zwendlimbo.(which didn't have a fighting scene yet)
They will have a new mass-production unit, but you probably won't see it in the next arc if they follow the novel's plot.
Listing out the novel chapters,
http://ncode.syosetu.com/n3556o/
The anime is now in part 4 of the novel, just ended chapter 48 (with the exception of Goldleo, which should come out at the end of part 4(ch 54) The next ep should end ch 4 without much problem.
Counting chapters of part 5, we will likely get 3 eps, and that pretty much concludes the season, I guess they may make it so you get things here and there to fill the last ep, but part 6 is too random to be placed as the final ep if they are not doing part 7 and 8.
AmuroNT1

MythSearcher wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:06 amRead all of the web novel before watching the anime, may contain spoilers.
I shouldn't have to do homework to enjoy an anime. If a show can't make sense on its own without supplementary materials, then it's just a bad show.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

MythSearcher

AmuroNT1 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:32 pm
MythSearcher wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:06 amRead all of the web novel before watching the anime, may contain spoilers.
I shouldn't have to do homework to enjoy an anime. If a show can't make sense on its own without supplementary materials, then it's just a bad show.
Not telling you to, just warning I've read the novel so post contains spoilers.
Dark Duel

I actually think I prefer the animated series designs to the ones in the links MythSearcher posted. Especially for the ones Ernesti personally was involved in - IMO, they look much more like something a reincarnated mecha otaku would come up with than the designs in those links, which look more IMO like suits of armor than actual mech.

MythSearcher

Dark Duel wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:27 am I actually think I prefer the animated series designs to the ones in the links MythSearcher posted. Especially for the ones Ernesti personally was involved in - IMO, they look much more like something a reincarnated mecha otaku would come up with than the designs in those links, which look more IMO like suits of armor than actual mech.
I agree, the anime used the light novel designs by Black Silver and is much better than the web versions.
The author has trouble with depth perception (I have the same trouble)
Just posting to let whoever is interested to build the mahq section have a look.
Last edited by MythSearcher on Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deathzealot

MythSearcher wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:04 pm Just posting to let whoever is interested to build the mahq section.
Yes, please!
AmuroNT1

Honest question, am I the only one who's sick of the whole "Fangirl completely shuts down when Ernie isn't around" thing? It's not really funny, it's not really cute or endearing, it just kind of makes her look creepy and pathetic.

yazi88

The fight scenes are probably the only entertaining aspects of the show... the mechanics and explanation of the knight mechs are amusing, but it takes up way too much of the focus, the demon beasts are a secondary thing in the show, and we haven't seen or heard anything about who the actual antagonists are since the hijack ep... there is no character development at all... Ernie just fanboys and builds stronger units... this time skip thing also keeps happening way too much...

I was going to drop the show at episode 4, but I've been hearing the combat is pretty interesting, plus... its the only mecha show airing this season...