Fafner: Exodus

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Dark Duel

Re: Fafner: Exodus

What the hell is that gold Fafner at 0:35 in the longer trailer? And that's Canon in that scene, isn't it?
Man, I smell casualties coming hard and fast here...cannot wait to see it. October...Still two months to go...
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Henyo

Dark Duel wrote:What the hell is that gold Fafner at 0:35 in the longer trailer? And that's Canon in that scene, isn't it?
Man, I smell casualties coming hard and fast here...cannot wait to see it. October...Still two months to go...
yeah, i got the same vibe from the second trailer. Kill em all for the second season huh?
"crosses fingers" SS. SS. SS.(Spare Seri.)
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Destiny_Gundam

Finally watched the extended version of episode 1. Definitely required viewing for getting a better grasp on Dustin and his motives.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
LightningCount

The writer is in some trouble: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... t-his-wife

It's shocking/upsetting news in of itself, but one also has to wonder how this will affect Fafner Exodus' scripts. From everything I've read, this guy basically created the story of Fafner from the beginning. Well, whatever the case, I wish for healing in their relationship.
Destiny_Gundam wrote:Finally watched the extended version of episode 1. Definitely required viewing for getting a better grasp on Dustin and his motives.
Sounds interesting. I just hope Dustin and the Argo Team get a chance to go toe-to-toe with D-Island's Fafners. That variety would be nice.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Henyo

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ges/.92411

update about Ubukata-san.

about that extended version of episode 1. how many minutes of new footage is that?
LightningCount

Henyo wrote:...about that extended version of episode 1. how many minutes of new footage is that?
I've read that it's at least 10 minutes of new material. And I've read that some of it is pretty significant to the story of side characters like Jonathan, Emery, etc. Some of the new battle footage was actually shown in the early Fafner Exodus trailers, which confused me when I saw the actual broadcast episode and it was missing those excellent-looking scenes. I've yet to see the extended cut. I can only hope there will be an overseas video release at some point.
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Destiny_Gundam

Regular: 24:27
Extended: 35:52

The amount of new content is significant and fleshes things out a lot more with more foreshadowing too which is easy to pick out when you watch it after seeing the rest of the season.
Spoiler
Jonathan gets infected by a Diablo type, but manages to break it by himself, likely thanks to the Kazuki factor. Also when a Sphynx type is about to attack Emery she asks it to stop and it does so. It later shields her when the island gets nuked. Two of Dustin's men get assimilated and he's forced to remotely activate their Fenrirs.
Amion

What the Fenrir caused all this not to be added to the original broadcast? At least one of those things is highly significant as far as I can tell, namely concerning Jonathan.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
LightningCount

Amion wrote:What the Fenrir caused all this not to be added to the original broadcast? At least one of those things is highly significant as far as I can tell, namely concerning Jonathan.
Good question. I have this vague theory that Fafner Exodus started its life as a sequel MOVIE to Heaven and Earth, and during production, it was fleshed out and expanded into a TV series. That might explain it. If that's not it, then maybe they just really wanted to push Blu-ray sales with incentives for viewers, since this likely cost a ton to make.
Henyo

^ that or they couldn't get the broadcasters to give them a 45 minute running time for the first episode. UBW season 1 first episode was 40+ minutes right?(and it still has an extended version IIRC.)
Amion

Shame. UBW wasn't worth the extra time. This unarguably would have been.
Destiny_Gundam

Well they sure didn't waste any time.
Spoiler
I warned you about raising those death flags, Hiroto...
Amion

Spoiler
Ok, someone needs to get that coup moving. At this rate I'm going to start rooting for Festum by the end. They know good and well that the need for ROE Alpha isn't necessary anymore, if not before than after the visual contact. Sheesh.
Destiny_Gundam

The exended episode 1 is required viewing if you want to understand why Dustin is so hung up on enforcing ROE Alpha.
Spoiler
He's sacrificed comrades in order to uphold it, so him denying it now would make their deaths meaningless.
Amion

I disagree on it making their deaths meaningless. It makes their deaths tragic because they're being used to excuse more deaths that needn't be. I consider it a sign of poor leadership quality for someone to be unable to change and grow from their "mistakes" or for the sake of those they've sacrificed. He needs to accept the orders he followed/gave as necessary and the best decision he could make at the time, trusting his friends would understand that.

I'd be much more sympathetic if he had to make the choice back when the order was actually first given, and him being present. Now at this stage he's very much aware that at least a few aren't contaminated.

Opinions? Thoughts?
Destiny_Gundam

Well, think of it this way: If Dustin decides to ignore ROE Alpha then the ghosts of those he'd sacrificed before would go "Oh so now you're ignoring ROE Alpha? Why didn't you ignore it when I needed help!"

Also if he accepts that ROE Alpha can be overturned and the assimilated can be saved, he might not be able to handle the guilt of killing his comrades when they could still be saved.
Amion

A case of a bad leader, then. I do hope he has a change of heart before he murders a significant portion of their manpower. At this rate the Azazels won't need to fight, just sit there and giggle at Mankind's internal struggles. "But hey, we've taught Polaris' remnants how to laugh, right?"

There's going to be some very interesting scenes next couple episodes.
Zeonista

The angst and despair is back with a vengeance! I almost forgot I was watching a Fafner story for a while. :P Wow, the New UN is seriously running scared at this point. So scared it is influencing their decisions, and now fear turns to death. It's too bad about Dustin, but I guess he feels he has to do his duty, both to the living and the dead.

Destiny_Gundam: Hiroto talks too much.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
LightningCount

Fafner Exodus is one for the ages right now. Feels like a movie. And yet, it looks like it is getting little to no credit this Fall Season. Episode 14 was fantastic on all fronts. Nice human moments, nice action, and good parallels in how it began and ended with Dustin doing his best impression of Golgo 13. That first scene of military intrigue really shows how far this franchise has come in terms of how it presents its world. And the scope of the mecha battles for BOTH grunts and main characters is refreshing and enthralling. Again, it just feels movie-like. On another topic, I just realized, too, that there seems to be a vague visual/thematic parallel between Emery and Miwa and Soshi and Kazuki. That's the impression I get, anyway. I really liked how we got some broader insights from Soshi this episode, which seemed to link us back to his unknown experiences during the time frame of Heaven and Earth.

As for Dustin's actions, Amion, I think Destiny_Gundam has some valid points, and frankly I think there is another piece to this: From what I can tell, He's a Human Army career guy. He's a soldier and an officer, not a civilian. In most anime, half the time, viewers complain about military-trained characters who buck orders. Dustin is sticking with his loyalty to the higher-ups, who regardless of their methods, have helped keep him and others he's known alive inside some manner of human society. He's not going to allow traitors/sympathizers when so many soldiers have died to keep human society going. Further, D-Island is a naive outlier to him, more alien than human in the reality they've lived. Even if he can see the battle, he doesn't know that the "Exodus" forces aren't just another faction of Festum fighting other Festum, and/or if it's just another Festum psychological trick. I'd bet he's seen way more evil Festum than good ones during his time. So, I think it's true to character and makes for great drama.

I have been waiting for this moment since early in Season 1. I am hoping we see some Gundam Wing-style duels between Dustin's Argo Team and the Exodus forces. If we don't get at least one "legit" and passionate human-piloted Fafner vs. Fafner battle, I will be disappointed. It writes itself, especially with Dustin having a brother on the other side. Fafner's never really done that before, and it would add yet another dimension to everything going on.

Also, I wonder if this season will end Fafner as a franchise...?
Destiny_Gundam

WHAT'S IN THE BOOOOX?!?!

Well, add another layer to Dustin's character.
Spoiler
Must uphold ROE Alpha... Except when some one I personally care about is involved!