Laplace's Box is canceled

MAHQ's podcast for plamo kits, which ran from 2011-2012.

Moderator: PedroBear

Chris
Bald Wizard

Laplace's Box is canceled

Post by Chris » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:56 pm

As an editor of a website and its podcasts, you sometimes have to make difficult decisions, especially when money is involved. After considerable deliberation, Dale and I have decided to cancel Laplace's Box. This is not a decision we reached lightly, and there are several reasons for it. First, consistency in scheduling has constantly been a problem since the beginning, leading to long gaps between episodes and no regular schedule. I can't blame Andres for this because he has a busy schedule with a young son and all his other responsibilities. Second, perhaps because of the first issue, the show has never been able to develop a wide audience relative to the resources needed to create the show and the funding to host it. This means that the show has virtually no prospect of attracting any advertising to help offset the costs of hosting.

When you pay for the annual hosting costs for three podcasts, the costs add up and you have to decide what's vital and what isn't. Unfortunately, that means the end of the line for Laplace's Box. I don't know if there's going to be an episode 9 this month to end the show. We will be canceling the show's libsyn account at the end of the month, so if you need to download any past episodes, do that now. We might offer some package download in the future with every episode, but nothing is in stone yet. As for the Mecha Talk subforum, the blog and the Twitter account, they'll all still be around. Of course, it goes without saying that this decision doesn't affect Gundamn or Chaos Theater in any way.

It's a shame the show can't continue, but the status quo isn't sustainable. I'd like to thank Andres and Keith for their work as co-hosts, as well as Pedro for his producing and editing work. Of course, I'd also like to thank all the listeners who did support the show up to now. If you'd like to hear more of Andres, you can catch him sometimes on the Tomocast, and don't be surprised if he occasionally shows up in the future on Gundamn.
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
Nintendo Network: mariomsz006

yazi88
Okawara x Katoki Love Child

Re: Laplace's Box is canceled

Post by yazi88 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:51 pm

I'm sad to hear that this podcast is canceled but life goes on and I wish Andres and Keith the best of luck and hope to hear them in other podcasts.

TimberNewtype

Post by TimberNewtype » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:35 pm

I'm will miss listening to Andres and Keith's take on the latest Gunpla news, model tech help, predictions, etc. I have been excited for this podcast since it was announced and have enjoyed the many hours of entertainment it has provided.

I will continue to follow Andres on Twitter and check him out on Tomopop. I wish he and his family to continue raising a Gunpla-loving son, a modeling prodigy in the making, I'm sure.

I will continue to hate Keith for his ownership of Tamshii Web Exclusives and rare/hard-to-find/expensive figures; but love him for being a felllow Lego minifig maniac (LEGO MAYYY-NEE-UH...Lego Mania!).

Thanks for all the fun!
Newtype Dad

My YouTube channel
Listen to Shelf Life
Follow me on twitter @TimberNewtype

Mu La Flaga
OMG Doomsday Laser

Post by Mu La Flaga » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:41 pm

This is a little surprising.
But after seeing the reasons as to why, it's understandable why.
At least I got a question in on Laplace's Box before it got the axe of DOOM!

Was fun while it lasted.

LawnDart
Mecha Flunky

Post by LawnDart » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:00 am

I just listened to the podcast for the first time this month. I'll miss it. Good luck to Andres, Keith and Pedro and thanks for all the hard work!

mobiusdiablo
AEUG Slapping Boy

Post by mobiusdiablo » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:01 am

Sorry to hear it go, I can understand why though. Personally, I do feel a little guilty. I was all for the show up until it started going. It was just a combination of events and I didn't really take to it as much as I have Chaos Theater and Gundamn. Maybe because it wasn't entirely what I was expecting, a 'cast more dedicated to the craft and modeling itself versus a shopping guide/what's new or going on.

As a PS - Jabman does make a good host as much as the normal crew :P
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!

Mu La Flaga
OMG Doomsday Laser

Post by Mu La Flaga » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:33 am

Which I have mentioned in the feedback thread, once a blue moon or so back :P
Jabman needs his own podcast lol.

hotlimit
Creepy Bishonen

Post by hotlimit » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:36 am

Dang, sad to see such a niche show go down. Understandable though, hopefully get to hear Keith and Andres on something in the future.

xaos
Cardboard Leo Ace

Post by xaos » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:40 pm

I can't say I don't understand why it's being canceled, still it is sad to see the show go. I really liked hearing a podcast solely about collecting toys. I mean I know plenty of podcasts that discuss toys in segments but not one that's solely about them. I wish them the best.

jabman025
Defender of DESTINY

Post by jabman025 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:35 pm

first let me say thank you to both Keith, Andres, and Pedro for their work on this show.

second, let me say thanks to Chris for letting me co-host one episode.

third, thanks to Mu and Diablo for their praise

I would like say that having a gunpla/toy podcast presented problems in that its hard to find topics to talk about for multiple shows over the course of a year. If I may, I might suggest a side episode or two a year maybe on the flagship gundamn podcast. Similar to the year in review episode I was on. To talk about recent developments in toys or gunpla. Just and idea.
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025

Mu La Flaga
OMG Doomsday Laser

Post by Mu La Flaga » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:22 am

jabman025 wrote:first let me say thank you to both Keith, Andres, and Pedro for their work on this show.

second, let me say thanks to Chris for letting me co-host one episode.

third, thanks to Mu and Diablo for their praise

I would like say that having a gunpla/toy podcast presented problems in that its hard to find topics to talk about for multiple shows over the course of a year. If I may, I might suggest a side episode or two a year maybe on the flagship gundamn podcast. Similar to the year in review episode I was on. To talk about recent developments in toys or gunpla. Just and idea.
Your welcome to it and as I said, if you could, you should get your own show, defending Destiny.
And talking about Gunpla, that or there is your usual youtube channel though.

HGGundamReviews
Mecha Flunky

Post by HGGundamReviews » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:21 pm

You know, and this is just me thinking out loud so take it as you will, If you used a video system instead of just a standard podcast you could post the videos on youtube. The Adsense system there could support the show and you would likely get more hits there. You could either video capture your skype calls or create a slide show based on what your talking about. Either way would work. You could also post the video's to Http://Blip.tv they automatically aggregate to Itunes.

Like I said just me thinking out loud.

HGGundamReviews

Chris
Bald Wizard

Post by Chris » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:00 pm

Not a bad suggestion, but the show is literally over now. Also, the main issue with getting episodes out was scheduling, so the format of the show being video or audio only makes no difference, as it would be a problem anyway.
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

mobiusdiablo
AEUG Slapping Boy

Post by mobiusdiablo » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:28 am

HGGundamReviews wrote:You know, and this is just me thinking out loud so take it as you will, If you used a video system instead of just a standard podcast you could post the videos on youtube. The Adsense system there could support the show and you would likely get more hits there. You could either video capture your skype calls or create a slide show based on what your talking about. Either way would work. You could also post the video's to Http://Blip.tv they automatically aggregate to Itunes.

Like I said just me thinking out loud.

HGGundamReviews
Yeah, as Chris said, it's over. Though Jabman, if you're listening... You know what you must do - AS THE DEFENDER OF DESTINY! :twisted: I do second Jabman's idea of a side podcast or one dedicated to merchandise every few months or so. Hell - there's the quarterly Mailbag segment now, so we might as well fill that episode up with stuff we should buy too!
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!

jabman025
Defender of DESTINY

Post by jabman025 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:03 pm

I'll be there when and if I get the call ;)
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025

animalia
Lackey GM Pilot

Post by animalia » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:08 pm

What will you do with all the leftover Laplace's Box mailbag questions? Maybe you could have a special episode of Gundamn where the former hosts of Laplace's box answer the questions that where left hanging because of the cancellation?

Chris
Bald Wizard

Post by Chris » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:37 pm

That's probably not going to happen, so don't get your hopes up.

The Fowl Sorcerous
Lackey GM Pilot

Post by The Fowl Sorcerous » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:33 am

I don't want to put words in Chris' mouth, but as someone who has produced two shows (with two more coming in the foreseeable future) plus a small pile of guest spots for other podcasts the biggest hurdle to success in the hobby is not the cost of hosting and equipment, or any kind of on-air talent it is releasing ten episodes in something resembling a schedule. that's it. no one expects a show to be any good till about the 5th episode, and even after that you can get away with a lot off stuff that goes wrong. but if you can't keep up steady releases you're dead. it's a shame to see shows go, but better this way than the pod-fade death spiral.

now it sounds like you guys want something. it also sounds like you have a few inklings as to how to get it done. maybe you should just do it for yourselves.

i'm around if you want any advice.

animalia
Lackey GM Pilot

Post by animalia » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:53 am

anyway i can download all of the old episodes including specials? I had them all downloaded on my old computer before it crashed and i really want to be able to listen to them again.

Chris
Bald Wizard

Post by Chris » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:10 am

I'll look into it and see if we can upload them somewhere for people to download.