Game Club: The Wolf Among Us

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Game Club: The Wolf Among Us

Now that Telltale's The Wolf Among Us is complete, it's time to tackle it on the Game Club. However, we're going to handle it a bit differently this time. Handling the topic in multiple episodes is a pain, so we're going to do this one all in a single topic. However, we still want your feedback, so we're going to collect it for the next month or two to give people time to play the game. Basically, we want your feedback on the entire game, but you can also focus on specific episodes if you want. If you decide to post as you play, be aware of other commenters tossing out potential spoilers.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Dollow

Re: Game Club: The Wolf Among Us

That was quick, well I better play it again.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
The Fowl Sorcerous

Man, I was looking forward to nitpicking this to death over the course of two months...oh well.

I guess we can add Team Bondi, Capcom and whoever keeps making CSI games as studio Telltale has put to complete shame with a small budget and under the constraints of an episodic release schedule and a licensed game contract.

On the investigative side, the game never feels like your character is stymied by the player getting the puzzle wrong. Players can be completely off on how they read a crime scene and the story can still move forward, but in a much more organic way than LA Noir's mad scrambles to make sure the player is never a failure, even if they completely botch the designers' script for the scenario.

From the dramatic side, Bigby's responses all feel like valid interpretations of the comic book character but falls into the Bioware Conversation wheel trap where square is friendly/apologetic, triangle is businesslike, circle is angry/intimidating, and silence is either glower-y or awkward depending on if the conversation partner is female. Though it looked like the designers did a good job of shaking up when and how characters will concede or deny Bigby's desired outcome for the conversation based on those approaches.

I really like how the ending actually de-escalates where it goes from a crazy QTE fight scene to a courtroom drama to a series of very small conversations and that the final choice goes unresolved (the game design equivalent of 'Forget it, Bigs, it's Fabletown').

I enjoy how lupine Bigby's fighting style even in human mode. Each fight that Bigby wins ends with him hobbling his foe and then ripping it to shreds.

I also got a chuckle out of every single Lost Cat poster for Pixel, though I don't think she's quite in the public domain yet.
[[lorem ipsum]]
Arbiter GUNDAM

And this is what being late to the party gets me... I hope there is still enough time to post.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Destiny_Gundam

Geh, I just noticed this thread now. That's what I get for being so far behind... Well, since there's only one commentor so far, perhaps they'll give us an extention?

Well, off to Steam I go.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Arbiter GUNDAM

Well, this one was certainly a doozy. Having been not at all familiar with the Fables graphic novels, I went into this game more blind than with Walking Dead, Jurassic Park, BTTF or Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People. It has a great noir atmosphere but in a spookier way because you're also dealing with the supernatural as well.

I take it this game is set in the 90s? Only because I don't ever see anyone with a cellphone at all.

Anyway, here were my choices for episode 1.

Gave Faith my money
Lied to Beast about seeing Beauty
I chose to head over to Toad's place (sounded the most urgent)
Unfortunately this meant that Lawrence was dead by the time Snow and I got to his place.
My prime suspect was Faith's Pimp. (and I was kinda-sorta right!)

All in all, episode one plops you right into the world but there is enough subtle exposition going on, especially if you are familiar with many of these fairy tail characters, that you don't need tons of data logs to understand what is what. The Book of Fables just becomes a nice supplement. And I did not AT ALL see the twist ending with Snow White's severed head! As a side note to that, I instantly pegged Snow as 'Most Attractive Woman in the Game,' which became horribly ironic later on.

I like Bigby as a protagonist because even "paragon" Bigby is still very rough around the edges. I would still have liked some more about his background though besides what you get in the data logs.

Episode 2--

I grabbed the woodsman, which with immediate afterthought, I shouldn't have done but it was one of those QTEs and I just kinda went with my gut.
I accused Crane of not caring about Snow, which again, is horribly ironic.
I pulled out my charm and got the woodsman to talk, instead of beating him up.
I let Snow come with me to the Trip Trap.
I didn't beat up Georgie or trash his place (though I was sorely tempted to)

Here's a funny story about episode 2 that ought to make you laugh. Somewhere along the line I got it into my head that Full-frontal nudity was something that was reserved for AO-Rated games. Most of the M games I have don't have much in the that department (except for ME 1,2 and 3 and the Dragon Age games) so I was somewhat shocked when you walk into the Pudding and Pie and Nerissa's up there, totally topless. Paradigm shifted. :D
Episode 2 lets the mystery deepen nicely and you begin to get a true sense of just how broken things are in Fabletown. I get the feeling that Nat King Cole is a very absentee Mayor and probably appointed Crane "just because" rather than any merits he might have had. Snow turning out to not be dead was awesome and the fact that her doppleganger was Lily's sister with a glamour just makes you want to find out even more about what's going on.
It ends with a great cliffhanger that made me want to dive straight into episode 3!

--more to come--
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Destiny_Gundam

Now this game is certainly more to my taste than Walking Dead is. I love me a good detective/mystery story and the different spin on familiar characters sweetens the deal. Not only do I learn about fairy tale characters I've never heard of, I also discover aspects of classic tales I never knew. Made me go out and research more.

Snow White/The Big Bad Wolf is the crackiest pairing I'd never have even dreamed of. Though in the end I think she wasn't too happy with me because I didn't always side with her, especially when she got a little carried away later on. Bacon before hoes, isn't that the saying?

Unsurprisingly my Bigby didn't really live up to the 'bad' part of his name. While I wasn't afraid to threaten or knock some heads, I tried to talk things out when possible and showed mercy when prompted (this includes putting Georgie out of his misery). I was broke for the entire game because it just didn't feel right pocketing that money. Chose to imprison the Crooked Man because simply killing him wasn't punishment enough.

The mystery portion didn't really click for me all that much, though that might be because I wasn't paying full attention to it. I only fingered Georgie because I spotted what looked like a box of Huff and Puffs in his hand and remembered that I found some of those in the room Lily was killed in, and that few people other than Bigby smoke that brand. None of the other clues contributed to that.

At first I wanted to sympathise with Beauty and Beast, but once I found out why they were in debt... I was not impressed. It's called adaptation, you idiots.

I loved when Bigby assumed his true form. His werewolf form didn't do much for me, but his giant wolf self was cool. I enthusiastically kept tapping Q when I realised he was about to huff and puff and blow some bitches away. My other favourite part was when you talk to Grendel before he passes out and it says "Grendel won't remember this."

In regards to that twist at the end, the more I think about it the more unsure I am of what to believe. This is my 3rd time editing this paragraph aftering mulling over it for a few days. I think I'll have to pay close attention for clues should I do a second playthrough.

So yes, I quite enjoyed it and would definitely play a season 2.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Xaldron

Alright, I’ve just finished the entire game in one sitting of about 8hrs.

Episode 1
• I gave Faith the money.
• I covered for Beauty, even though I knew I probably shouldn’t.
• I went to Toad’s first given I was there last night with a then living Faith.
• While my gut told me that Woody was involved somehow, I arrested Dee cause both the Tweedles ware acting strange.

Episode 2
So this episode started with Crane being an ass to real cops, and possibly resulting in several crimes to go unsolved/forgotten about. But he actually seemed concerned and down about Snow’s death.
When the interrogation of Dee began, I slugged him in the face both gaining Blue’s respect and setting the tone. I followed up by playing nice cop which kept him talking until Blue got uppity and Snow arriving. Crane had a good point that Snow was probably in danger but I stuck up for her.
At the bar I noticed a few Easter eggs such as the Georgia Moonshine. Jack(ass) was being a useless and making a mess of the situation, so I kicked him pout before telling Holly about Lilly. I really didn’t want to make things harder for her but I had to ask some questions.
This led us to the Pudding & Pie. Where we meet Georgie and got the story out of him without having to break anything. Nerissa was as helpful as she could be pointing me to the Open Arms. I wasn’t expecting to find Beauty working the desk, but it did work out. When Beast showed up I tried to talk him down but we had to fight so I tried to minimize the length (unlike Lee who would have beat the shit out of him).
Thanks to Beast throwing me through a door the investigation could commence. This room…it kept getting worse and worse the more I looked around. Then the revelation of CRANE!!!

• I sympathized with Carne.
• I persuaded Dee.
• I let Snow tag along.
• I didn’t hit Georgie, cause you don’t hit pimps you make them understand.
• I only hit Beast once in the fight.

Episode 3
Well shit. As much as my inner Lee wanted to kill Crane, my inner Bigby wanted to protect Snow from him fast. I rushed to Lilly’s funeral, as much as I need to talk to Snow I let her finish. While Holly didn’t want me there, she accepted why I came. That’s when the twins showed up. Too bad everyone had my back, and they shot us up.
While being patched up Blue wanted action which forced our hand. I went up to Crane’s while he went to the Tweedles. In Crane’s place I found Jack.
Jack be nimble, Jack be quick, Jack be a dumb shit.
I promptly gave Jack his reward for his help by turning him over to Snow. First I ran to the Tweedles to hopefully catch Blue, but he was gone. I apologized for his mess and offered Fly a job. Then I ran over to the bar. I diffused the situation as best I could between Woody and Gren. Also comforting Holly as I got the info I needed.
This night was just a lot of diffusing bad situations. Again at Auntie Greenleaf’s I had to stop Snow from making a big mistake.
After collecting Crane form the club, I tried to prove myself better than The Crooked Man and his goons, but it hurt like hell.

• Let Snow talk
• Went to Crane’s first
• Made a deal with Jack
• Offered Fly a job
• Drank with Gren
• Saved the tree
• Spared Dum

Episode 4
Not a lot to say about this episode. It was faster passed than the previous and had a lot more action. Also Colin is a cock blocking bastard.
It was a quick journey from the Butcher’s to helping Woody reposes his axe from Jersey. After all this trouble I finally had a fix on The Crooked Man’s hideout, only to find (Tiny) Tim there.
I waited for Tim as we walked down the hall. Finally the reveal of villains…

• Colin can stay, even if he is a cock blocking bastard
• I tried to remove the ribbon, but figured why it was a bad thing
• Went to the Butcher’s first
• Gave Toad the money
• Agreed to talk

Episode 5
As fast as I thought the pervious episode was, this was faster. Starting off with a fight for me to take Georgie all because The Crooked Man didn’t want to come to an understanding of how things will work. After fighting my way back into Fabletown, I chased down Georgie FOR JUSTIC. It came to a head where it all started, I tried to save Georgie but he refused help. However he and Vivian gave me the full story before she committed suicide. I took pity of Georgie and put him down fast.
Thanks to their help I found The Crooked Man at the metalworks. Bloody Mary tried to take me out, too bad for her I went BEAST MODE to end her fast. While I wanted to put down The Crooked Man, I kept my word to Snow and brought him in.
The “trail” was a shame from start to finish. Fables kept switching sides until Nerissa arrived. Her testimony sealed his fate. I had originally planned to throw him down the well. But after his attempt to take me with him, I decided death was too good for him.
The ending was a downer, as much as Snow tried to change the system she couldn’t and poor Toad and TJ still got sent to the farm after all I tried to do for them.
After my final meeting with Nerissa, something seemed off so I went after her. Roll Credits.
• I killed Georgie cause he didn’t deserve to suffer
• Against better judgment I brought The Crooked Man in alive
• I imprisoned The Crooked Man because death was too good for him
• I accepted TJ’s gift to give to Snow
• I told Nerissa “I hope I’ve done some good here.”

Overall the art style and the music really aid in the story. At some point the story seemed predictable along the lines of classic noir films. Unlike The Walking Dead season 1, this game felt like it had only a few characters that one could only hate like Bloody Mary and Jersey.
All the characters were fleshed out and likeable to some degree.

While I’m not familiar with Fables beyond this game and what has been said on the podcast I rather enjoyed the game and would like to see a season 2.
Chris
Administrator

Advance warning: the game will be discussed in our next episode. If you haven't posted your comments yet, you have until tomorrow at 9 p.m. EST to do so.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his