Ep. 070: Batman Beyond

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 070: Batman Beyond

Chaos Theater Ep. 070 - "Batman Beyond"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 194 mins, 59 sec. (3:14:59) 44.63 MB

Special Guest Host: Soul Bro Ryu (Opening and Batman)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:40:05

02. Discussion: "Batman Beyond"
Runtime: 0:40:42 - 3:06:29

03. Outro: "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 3:07:06 - 3:12:15

Chaos Theater dips into the Gotham well once again in this latest episode. Gundamn's Soul Bro Ryu joins us for an in-depth discussion of the DCAU series Batman Beyond. We also cover the Return of the Joker movie, the Justice League Unlimited crossover episodes and the post-TV comics by Adam Beechen and Kyle Higgins. Due to the extended length of this segment, there are no Audible recommendations or Mailbag questions. Next time, we're swinging back to New York to discuss The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Strike Suit Zero Main Theme" from Strike Suit Zero by OratOr
"Veils of the Nebula" from Strike Suit Zero by OratOr

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Main RSS Feed -
Chaos Theater YouTube - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
phillosmaster

Re: Ep. 070: Batman Beyond

In regards for Agents of SHIELD I would argue that the real turning point for the quality of the show was around the midseason finale right before the break. That's when I started to tune in live for the show each week rather than watch it online or on demand. Everything after the Cap movie has been outstanding (if you were watching the whole time it really grabs you by the guts), but it was already on an upward swing.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
yazi88

Its great that Soulbro was on this episode. I really enjoyed Batman Beyond during its original run date and still enjoy it for the most part even today.

One of the few things in Batman Beyond I prefer over the Batman Animated series was that, aside from the 4th season, Beyond had quite some darker themes compared to the Animated series.

Plus, I actually enjoyed Will Friedle's performance of Terry and how Terry used to joke around and mess with his opponents compared to morbid Bruce back in his prime. This was best shown in the fight against Joker in the movie which is probably the best part of that movie aside from the flashback encounter with Bruce Batman and Joker.

I hope you guys can have Soulbro on again for the Justice League and Unlimited in depth discussion.
The Fowl Sorcerous

I'm going to have to challenge the hivemind on 'the one good scene' from this movie. It's not the arkham sequence, which features a lot of contrivance on the Joker side, but also that if that was the 'whole point' then it would have been the whole movie.

The best scene is everything after Terry says "wait, I like to talk, too"

One of the recurring elements of the series was whether or not Terry deserved/achieved Batman status. Bruce berates him for not living up to his crazy standards, Babs discourages him from attempting it, terry questions how much the role his himself or just wearing the suit and doing what Bruce tells him. But here we have Terry staring down the only thing that frightens Bruce (nevermind how he got there) and beating him down a level that Bruce never did and never could.
Goddamned right Terry McGuinnes is the Batman, and if I'd never gotten anything else from this character I'd be just as happy with it.
[[lorem ipsum]]
Dark Duel

The Fowl Sorcerous wrote:The best scene is everything after Terry says "wait, I like to talk, too"
Oh GOD YES. SO MUCH.
That entire sequence is made of pure 100% concentrated epic win.
I especially enjoyed the following:
"The real reason you kept coming back was that you never got a rise out of the old man. Get a clue, clowny! He's got no sense of humor - he wouldn't know a good joke if it bit him in the cape!...Not that you ever had a good joke."
Made even more hilarious if you stop to consider the fact that Bruce HEARD. EVERY. WORD.

I would argue that that is the single funniest moment in the entire series, with one exception:
Terry: "YOU KILLED MY FATHER!"
*pause*
Blight: "Do you have the slightest idea how little that narrows it down?"
But I would still rank the Joker moment above that one, because it's not only funny, it's also a Crowning Moment of Awesome for Terry.

Another funny one.

Bruce: "The voice kept calling me "Bruce". But in my mind, that's not what I call myself."
Terry: "What do you call yourself then?"
*Bruce looks significantly at Terry*
"Oh. You would call yourself that." Then Terry adds in an undertone "But it's my name now."
Bruce: "Try telling that to my subconscious."

I loved that show, I really did. Had some seriously awesome characters. Especially the villains - Inque(especially her), Spellbinder, the Royal Flush Gang(especially Ten), Shriek...loved the villains.
Except for the Jokerz. Those guys were just annoying.
Also loved when they briefly brought back Freeze for that one episode. Quite possibly one of my favorites.
The one when they brought back Ra's though, was just freaky. If awesome at moments.

I actually own the entire show on DVD, except for the movie. But I bought the movie in iTunes.

On a tangentially related note, the entire scene in Amazing Spider-Man on the bridge when Peter took off his mask to rescue that kid who was stranded inside the burning car? Really reminded me of that one episode of Batman Beyond when Terry took off his mask to rescue that kid trapped on a burning I-forget-what.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."