Ep. 065: Sherlock & Game Club Pt 3

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 065: Sherlock & Game Club Pt 3

Chaos Theater Ep. 065 - "Sherlock & Game Club Pt 3"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 185 mins, 9 sec. (3:05:09) 84.76 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:24:08

02. Discussion: "Sherlock"
Runtime: 0:24:45 - 1:56:51

03. Discussion: "Game Club: The Walking Dead Ep 3"
Runtime: 1:57:13 - 2:31:45

04. Outro: "Audible recommendations", "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 2:32:22 - 3:01:59

This episode is coming out pretty late, but the next will be out sooner to compensate for the delay. After catching up on what we've been up to, we go into a detailed discussion of BBC's Sherlock, starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman. Then it's zombie time with part 3 of our Game Club on The Walking Dead, focusing on "Long Road Ahead." As usual, we close the show with Audible recommendations and the Mailbag. We originally teased a special topic for the next episode, but since that didn't come to pass, we'll instead be discussing Zombieland and more of The Walking Dead for a zombie double feature.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"How It Was Done" from Sherlock by Davide Arnold & Michael Price
"Floating Dust" from Sherlock by Davide Arnold & Michael Price
"Discover Katjaa 2" from The Walking Dead by Jared Emerson-Johnson

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Main RSS Feed -
Chaos Theater YouTube - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
zero_the_masked_knight

Re: Ep. 065: Sherlock & Game Club Pt 3

Speaking for myself, you guys don't have to apologize for any delay. It is your show after all.

I've been following Sherlock whenever it showed on TV, and have enjoyed the bits of it I've seen. I'm looking forward to more thanks to your reviews, if only to see Cumberbatch with Martin Freeman.

looking forward to the zombieland discussion!
Seeing people for who they are; not who you think they are, not what you want them to be. Seeing someone unconditionally, without paranoia, without prejudice, without stereotypes, without fear...That's what "love" is.
"Love" is looking into a person's eyes and seeing a soul.
The Fowl Sorcerous

I feel like episode 3 of WD would have been better served by cut in two, it opens with all the excrement hitting all the fans then transitions into light patter with multi-ethnic couples and train hobos.
Also, if Clem's hair is a hazard how does Kenny get away with that mullet?

As for Sherlock, I keep meaning to watch it then getting scared off by the fanbase and high potential Moffat-liness, I guess I'll give S1 a shake.
[[lorem ipsum]]
phillosmaster

Batman The Brave And The Bold is a great show. I didn't watch it when it originally aired. I was one of those people who dismissed it. I watched it when Netflix picked it up, and loved it. Yeah it's silly, but it hits some great notes. Also it's similar to Avengers EMH. One is silly and one is serious, but both serve well as a sort of cliff notes for their respective mythologies. The amount of characters (obscure at that) that appear in BATB is staggering.

Dini did write for the show. I'm guessing it was only freelance. I'm not looking it up but I remember 3 episodes he wrote in particular. The last episode (great), the Phantom Stranger/Spectre/Joe Chill episode (best episode of the series) and a Bat Mite episode (it's okay).

Also Batman TBATB featured R. Lee Ermy as Wildcat, which is just awesome. He's got a bad ticker.

I didn't watch Sherlock. Not a Steven Moffat fan. I've been a long time Who fan, but his take on the show has been so different in tone and characterization that it drove me away. Therefore I wasn't too eager to watch Sherlock (Which is probably my loss, but I just can't do it ..).
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
Chris
Administrator

phillosmaster wrote:Dini did write for the show. I'm guessing it was only freelance. I'm not looking it up but I remember 3 episodes he wrote in particular. The last episode (great), the Phantom Stranger/Spectre/Joe Chill episode (best episode of the series) and a Bat Mite episode (it's okay).
At the point where I mentioned the show, I hadn't (and still haven't) encountered the Dini episodes. He did only work on it as a freelancer, which he explained on Fat Man on Batman.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Chavelo

You guys made me glad I never started watching Doctor Who. Otherwise I'd be nitpicking similarities.

Personally the Irene episode was my favorite. Just because she had feelings for Sherlock in the end. Didn't really diminish her character for me. I just see it as equal to when men lose their shit over a woman.

Sadly I have to agree with a lot of the other things you guys said. Especially the final episode for season 2. Common sense and Sherlock's deductive ability suddenly disappear conveniently for the sake of the plot. Though maybe you could make the case that they allowed it to happen for the sake of exposing Moriarty. Especially as I would think Sherlock's brother could have easily squashed it all.
Mu La Flaga

I want to put down at least this much for this episode.
Despite not having seen the BBC Sherlock series, I've been somewhat interested in it, so this coverage of it interests me.
Also so it seems your both pyromaniacs is the correct term? :P