Game Club: The Walking Dead

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Re: Game Club: The Walking Dead

Episode 3 has been recorded, so from now on we'll be taking comments from episode 4, "Around Every Corner."
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Gundam420

Episode 4. This is where your relationship with Clementine is really put to the test, as I felt more unsure of what to tell her here compared to past episodes. Admittedly the only reason I kept Ben alive was for her, and figured I'd kill him some other time. Omid and Christa are welcome additions to the group if only because it was refreshing to have more people who may not trust me but at least aren't out to rip me apart, and I wish Molly stuck around more. Chuck was cool, and it was a shame the way he went out. As tense as Crawford was, how interesting would it have been if it had been inhabited by humans. The ending of this episode gets me every time, and honestly I can't help but wonder if it was an accident, or a setup by the stranger who kidnapped Clementine. The pacing in this episode definitely slowed down from past ones, but the characterization is just as strong as ever.
Last edited by Gundam420 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSN: (Japan Account) gundaminator
phillosmaster

So 10 minutes in and my vote for Ben being Soul Bro's man still stands. WTF Ben. You couldn't even try to save Clem.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
The Fowl Sorcerous

so episode 4: this might be the best of the series. this episode just batters players with emotions all the way through without the graceless tone shifts of episode 3.

highlights:
the past few episodes have established the 'Clem can get through small spaces' as a puzzle solving mechanic and just when you think it's about to get tired they pull the rug out from under the player by having the little girl seize initiative and freak everyone out.

zombie kid was more of a gut punch than Duck was, probably because of Duck.

Krysta and Omid have been really good for the group dynamic.

points for having the crazy survivalist assholes already fall victim to their own crazy by the time the player gets there.

and a lift of the glass to Chuck; you were a kindly hobo, well versed in the arts of poetry, tuneless guitar fiddling and shovel murder, it should have been Ben.

Nitpicks:

why on earth would I have search around for loose change? There's no reason Lee wouldn't have kept the coins I looted off Larry.

Insulin goes bad after about a month, why would a bunch of Darwinist jerks even keep it, its not like they even showed enough interest in pursuing trade to keep it around for that.

Furthermore, did these guys have a plan on how long they were going to weed out the needy? Eventually they'd have to start breeding for long-term stability. "Abortions for all, hording medical supplies we don't need" seems like a terribly short-sighted policy.

Car batteries weigh about 40 pounds and Lee and Molly pass it around like a bag of chips, this game has done an amazing job of averting the magical adventure game pants trope and feel like hauling that monster pile of lead and acid while molly covers you (or vice versa) could have been a tense gameplay sequence.

I will forgive the appearance of a TV series ninja zombie, because we were all distracted by the sudden disappearance of the little girl.
[[lorem ipsum]]
Destiny_Gundam

Even I was losing my patience with Ben, but when it came down to it I couldn't just leave him to die. Maybe now he'll get his crap together. As Lee said, what good would it do to stoop to the level of those Crawford bastards?

I'd still trade him to keep Molly around, though.

I'm glad no one in Crawford was alive, since they already did the "humans are the real monsters" bit in episode 2. Crawford's methods and their fall completely justify my earlier humanistic stance.

I had Kenny kill the zombie in the attic. I felt he needed to do it to get over some of his issues. Not sure it worked all that well. Dude wouldn't even come with me at the end. Sounded like he was whining that I didn't take his side 110% of the time.

I tried to be as forward with Clementine as possible and avoided scolding her despite not liking all of her actions. It's not good to baby her all the time and I should respect her automony. I had her stay at the house and she did a good job protecting it and Omid. I told Vernon I'd think about his offer, because the choice should be Clem's.

The tensest moment was definitely when Lee got back from the sewers and he couldn't find her. That music sure didn't help. I was worried she'd been kidnapped by that guy on the radio. Of course that didn't happen until the end of the episode. When I get my hands on him, I might just have to go full Paragon on his ass!
Last edited by Destiny_Gundam on Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Chris
Administrator

Our release schedule is a bit screwy since the current episode isn't out yet (should be today), but the next episode records tomorrow at 4:30 P.M. EST. If you have any comments for episode 4 and earlier, you've got until then.
Chris
Administrator

We're in the home stretch now. Episode 4 has been recorded, so we're now taking comments for episode 5, "No Time Left." This is your spot to post comments about the episode, previous episodes and overall impressions on the entire game.
Gundam420

At last, Episode 5. Despite being the shortest and most straight forward episode in the series, it doesn't waste a single second. While other characters in zombie fiction have survived by removing bitten limbs, there was something in the back of my head telling me that no matter what happened Lee was gonna die. But I chose to cut his arm off anyway just for that little bit of hope. While Ben is undoubtedly a Soul Bro's man, I couldn't help but feel a little sympathy for him during his stand off with Kenny, where he mentions that he never got the chance to say goodbye to any of his loved ones. I managed to get everyone in my party to join me in one playthrough, and another where I left Ben behind, but no matter what I did the boat ended up being taken away by Vernon which pissed me off beyond belief since we seemed to be on good terms. When you finally confront the man who kidnapped Clementine, the way he tries to deconstruct and tear you apart with just his words alone really makes you think even harder about the choices you made both throughout your journey and with him. The way he makes you analyze yourself is nothing short of heart-wrenching. It's amazing how big of an impact he leaves, yet we don't even know his name. There are few games that can generate manly tears, and Lee and Clementine's last moments together is one of them. I couldn't leave this innocent little girl alone, but I let her kill me because I know that the rest of her life will be full of tough moments like this, and going through those moments will be key to surviving in this cruel world.
Last edited by Gundam420 on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
phillosmaster

Yeah I cut Lee's arm off. I suspected he would still die at the end, but you gotta try to survive right? I had Christa do it. I ended up liking Omid and Christa much more than I thought I would. When they first appeared I was tempted to dismiss them.

Ben sucks. He just sucks. I guess he's a kid so we should give him some slack, but Kenny is right when he points out that Ben screws everything up. I left him with the boat and I actually laughed when we came back and the old cancer survivors had locked him in the shed.

All that said I tried my best to keep the kid alive. Kenny's end in the alley with Ben was kind of appropriate considering how jaded Kenny had gotten at the end. It was a meaningless death considering there was no way Ben was going to survive, but Kenny had no motivation anymore to go on. I was surprised he kept going as long as he did.

I was hoping Molly would come back at the end. I guess she really did take off by herself. I wonder if we'll see her again in season 2.

I wish Chuck could have survived. That guy was awsome.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
Destiny_Gundam

Well, this was certainly something. Naturally that arm had to go. It didn't matter much in the end, but the slim chance that it would help was worth betting on. Though I kinda wonder if at the end Lee died from the bite or from the loss of blood.

My relationship with Kenny was rocky at best, but in the end I can't think poorly of the guy for staying behind to help Ben, especially considering the bad blood between them. So I offer a moment of silence for him... Right after the obligatory "OH MY GOD, THEY KILLED KENNY!!!"

Christa and Omid were solid all along and it's good that they made it out. They really had my back and I can hardly believe their policy used to be to not join groups. There's no one better suited for taking in Clementine. I really hope they're the ones Clem sees in the distance at the end, but from the look on her face I'm not that optimistic...

The scene with the stranger was quite tense, though I find the idea that he heard everything that happened over the radio to be ridiculous. What kind of range do those things have, anyways? Of course I tried to talk him down and avoided killing him, but in the end Clem took care of him.

Naturally she took care of Lee as well. The scene was quite emotional. I hate it when the main character dies sensely just for shock value, but here it has a bigger purpose. Lee might be gone, but he made Clem a stronger person and she'll carry on in his place. After everything that happened, after all the choices made and not made, the only thing that matters is that that little girl made it out.

My biggest criticism of the game would be that they really abused the zombie hoards as a plot device. They just pop out of nowhere and vanish when it's convenient for the writers. Like in episode 4, you have to go back to the auto shop to get the tape from the doctor zombie, a spot that was overrun with zombies a few minutes ago. Yet when you get there only the doctor is present.

Overall, this was a really good game. I actually didn't find it at all hard to stick to my Paragon ways so ha. Thanks for giving me a reason to pick this game up. Now the big question is do I wait for all of season 2 to be released or do I give in and start it now?
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Dollow

Better late than ever.

Quick comments

EP1
Just like the good old days of Resident Evil

EP2
This is what season 2 of The Walking Dead TV Show should have been. Favorite trophies "Thank you for shopping at Save-Lots" & "You fight like a dairy farmer!"

EP3
Best line "My cat is going to be so pissed". Ben is just like Shaggy from Scooby Doo if you took his personality to 11.

EP4
Walkers everywhere? Just another day.

EP 5
This the moment where all your heart pieces fall out, the moment Lee saves Clem at the end is the moment where you know Lee truly loved Clem and when you can have her shoot Lee but says "I will miss you", is a moment that will always stick with me. But at the end where you see two figures on the hill and cuts to black, I did yell "AW, COME ON!"

Bonus Round
No spoilers but with Season 2 of TWD game in EP 1, I am already to the point where I am just "F**k you, f**k you, f**k you, your cool, f**k you"

My friend, blackbelt_sam, made a interesting point that the series a little bit like a Japanese Visual Novel, in a way I agree with him on that, for me it makes me miss the old Resident Evil games. Plus playing this game on a handheld/tablet feels the most natural being able to touch where you want to pick up, glad it got ported to PSVita (Yeah I had to mention where I played it recently) ^^/
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
Xaldron

Damn missed episode 4 cut off. I have to say that episode 4 was my breaking point, I decided that I'm done losing people.

Normal run Episode 4 recap:
1) Ben pissed me off right away for now saving Clem
2) I killed the attic walker for Kenny
3) After meeting Molly and getting separated in the sewers, I found Chuck's body and decided never to lose anyone again
4) Talked Vernon down
5) Drank with Kenny
6) Took Clem with us to Crawford
7) At Crawford I was fairly neutral to Ben
8 ) Saved Molly
9) Voted to wait to vote about Ben
10) Saved Ben
11) Showed the bite
12a) Only Omid and Christa came with me. Ben didn't what to help Clem or me. And Kenny came up with some bullshit about how I never cared about him and his family.
12b) (Had to redo this due to a computer error, so this is the only one i have) Everyone came with me
13) Begged guy not to hurt Clem

Alright Episode 5: My only concern was to save Clem, no matter the cost. So I had Christa cut my arm off. Because on I had to switch computers this part is a bit different
a) With only Omid and Christa escape was a bit difficult, and I wished Molly would have been around to help. At the house Ben and Kenny told use that they got beat up by Vernon's group, they deserved it.
b) Kenny kept making bad joke with me about my missing arm. Ben tried to be useful. And I still have to make the jump to the bell tower. That the house the note from Vernon said he was sorry for taking out boat.
In the attic I was calm with Kenny, and he was latter apologetic for losing his temper. Talking with the group I told Christa that if I die that Kenny should take care of Clem and they should be nice to Ben. Ya Ben is a fuck up but he knows it.
Escaping the house, Ben went down. Kenny and myself tried to help him but to no avail. Kenny final forced me to leave, and as i claimed back up I heard the shot.
I did not want to talk about because i had just lost my friend. Then Omid and Christa got separated from me. Yelling across the street I told them we'll try to meet up.
(insert dramatic fight of One Armed Lee) Then I saw the "that car"
In side the Stranger forced me to disarm. Then he confronted me about leaving a poor defenseless girl on the side of the road. Clem escaped and got the jump on him. In our struggle I was over powered so Clem shot him.
Out joy of reunion was short lived when we save Clem's parents.
In the shop, Clem got the hand cuffs and cuffed me. Her fight with the walker hard to watch. I tried to help with my feet.
In the end I told Clem she cane take care of herself now, and that she is strong. I told her to shoot me and that she should find Christa and Omid. My final works were to keep your hair short and....

...I'll miss you (cut to black, bang)
Last edited by Xaldron on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xaldron

F*** You Kenny run Episode 4 recap:
1) I told Kenny to kill the attic walked because he is weak
2) Talked Vernon down
3) I berated Ben for letting Kenny drink, and told Kenny off for drinking
4) Took Clem with us to Crawford
5) At Crawford I was completely supportive of Ben
6 ) Saved Molly
7) Voted to keep Ben with us, while telling Kenny to F-off
8 ) Saved Ben
9) Showed the bite
10) Ben, Omid, and Christa came with me. Ben whated to help Clem and was afried of Kenny. Kenny went off how I never cared about him and his family.
11) Told the guy I'm going to kill him

Alright Episode 5: My only concern was to save Clem, no matter the cost. This time I kept the arm.
With Ben, Omid, and Christa escape was interesting. Ben showed his uselessness my again making the me jump, but i have both my arms making it easier. Kenny told use that they got beat up by Vernon's group, again he deserved it for being a asshat

In the attic I was going to bash Kenny's head in, but ended up throwing the bust into the wall. Talking with the group I told Christa that if I die that she and Omid should take care of Clem, and that they will be be good.
Escaping the house, Ben went down. Kenny and myself tried to help him but to no avail. This time Kenny forced me to leave, but I stayed down there to watch him get over run after killing Ben.
I told Omid and Christa the plan was the same, we save Clem. When we got separated I again told them we'll try to meet up.
(insert dramatic fight of Two Armed Lee) Then I saw the "that car"
In side the Stranger "forced" me to disarm, but not everyting. Then he confronted me about taking his supplies and his sob story about how that caused his family to be lost. Clem escaped and got the jump on him. In our struggle I over powered the Stranger and strangled him.
Again out joy of reunion was short lived when we save Clem's parents.
In the shop, Clem got the hand cuffs and cuffed the walker. This time I tried to help with my hands.
In the end I again told Clem she cane take care of herself now, and that she is strong. I told her to leave me because she might need the bullet later. This time I told her to find a group. My final works were to keep away form the cities and....

...Don't be afraid (Clem turns to leave slowly as I finally die)
Arbiter GUNDAM

OK, this has been a long time coming. :D

My first expiriance with TWD was when my roomates were watching the end of season 2 one night. I was intrigued but didn' get around to watching the series as a whole until this past October. From there it was natural to gravitate towards the game, especially as I'd had so much fun with Back to the Future and Jurassic Park. You can tel that with The Walking Dead: The Game, TellTale has really hit their stride.

A quick summary:

Episode 1 gets you hooked but I would have liked just a bit more background on Lee. How did his wife get involved with the senator? How and why did Lee kill him? I guess that's not really important but since this is such a character driven story, it would have been cool. This is my second time through the game, so all of my choices are from there. My first run was my "White Knight" run. This time I played Lee a bit more rough and tumble: protective of Clementine but kind of a ZOINKS to everyone else.
I was honest with Hershel, didn't see much point in lying about something he clearly knew.
I tried to save Shawn this time; he didn't deserve to die because some dumb kid unlocked the parking brake.
As much as it galled me, I had Lee side with Larry.
I gave Irene the gun to stop her from turning.
This time, I chose to save Doug. Poor Carley...

I chopped off the dude's leg, although I really should have left him as Walker bait.
This Lee was a little more paranoid, so he shot Jolene.
This time I helped Kenny off Larry.
I didn't kill either brother this time. Figured lettin' 'em become Walker food was more poetic. :twisted:
This time I helped loot The Stranger's car.

This time around I let the girl get chomped, even though I felt like the worst scum since Hitler.
Since Doug's death was more of an accident this time, I didn't abandon Lilly and actually took her up on her offer... until she drove away...
I knocked some sense into Kenny... but I didn't make him shoot Duck... that would have been a little too much...
This time I rescued Christa and boy was she pissed... until Omid jumped in anyway. :)

I killed the boy in the attic, last time I had Kenny do it.
I was honest with Vernon but more so because my data got screwed up last time and made it so I threatened him. He's a ZOINKS anyhow.
I brought Clem because I knew she'd sneak along anyway if I didn't.
I let Ben fall. I was a bit more annoyed with him this time around.
This time I revealed the bite to the group but since I hadn't always had Kenny's back, he stayed with the boat while Christa and Omid went with me to get Clem back.

Also, it was only this time that I realised that Christa was pregnant. :shock:

This time around I had Christa take off the arm, although it only just delays the affects of the infection some and lets Lee be a little more coherent.
I lost my temper with Kenny, 'cause like I said, this Lee is a it more of a skaglick (Borderlands reference ho!)
I surrendered my weapons to The Stranger, only 'cause I knew I could get him in the end... except actually Clem did. Good girl. :)
And I got the Good End. :)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
The Loser Villain

Wow, that was a cathartic game.

Sorry I didn't post anything for the first 4 episodes, completely slipped my mind.

Episode 5:

From the very beginning I was filled with dread as I knew Lee would be dead by the end. I just didn't know how and when, and that's what made me uneasy. However I was damned if I was going to let somebody get away with taking Clem! Since I knew death was a forgone conclusion I kept my arm, no sense in weakening yourself.

I had everybody that you could save alive and had them all with me when we went to get Clem. Felt Omid and Christa would be best to take care of Clem. In two episodes I've grown to really like Omid and Christa more than anybody alive in the game at this point.

Man, that two armed zombie slaughter by Lee trying to get to the hotel really pumped me up for dealing with the ending. That is until The Stranger made me feel like complete crap. Never has a game done that to me. That being said I strangled him to death and shot him in the head to be sure. Didn't make me feel any less bad.

Finally, at the end, with Lee cuffed I told Clem I'd miss her. I started to well up with tears as Clem raised the gun to shoot Lee.
"Kamille, if it wasn't for you...." Jerid's last words

"You bastard... You don't get it! I'm... I'm special! I'm famous! I'm the king of mock battles!" Patrick
Chris
Administrator

The next episode records Thursday at 6 p.m. EST. That's your last chance to post any comments about previous episodes, episode 5, or the game as a whole. The final segment will only focus on "400 Days," so at that point we won't be discussing anything else from the main game.
The Fowl Sorcerous

Episode 5. first here's a fun game: don't chop off Lee's hand but still count how many of his animations are one handed this episode

"This game series adapts to the choices you make. The story is tailored to how you play" -opening of the first episode.

Bull.

"No key choice has consequences that linger beyond two episode. Doug's dead, Carly's dead, Lilly's gone, Ben's dead, Kenny's dead and Clem is left alone. If this was Bioware title there would have been rioting in the streets." - me, in an episode of that podcast I do.

Also, Bull.

This game made me care about this characters, it made the emotional interactions matter on a player level. Every single dialogue choice got mulled over before pressing a button. I cared and this episode dragged me through an emotional wringer and I loved every second of it.

But the stand-out of this episode is the Stranger. It would have been easy have this game be Theresa from the Fable games or the half the cast of Fallout 3 and just beat you over the head with your karma score, but this guy has own character and agenda while also giving voice to the players own second thoughts about the story so far, that interaction is fantastic.
[[lorem ipsum]]
Blackbeltsam

Ah, The Walking Dead. The reason I first got a Playstation Plus account (thanks Dollow)

Now I could launch into a whole big thing about how awesome this thing is, but instead, I'd rather defend Ben.

Think about it: He's a punk teenager stuck in the middle of the Zombie Apocalypse. He is both old enough to fully understand the hell he had found himself in, and too young to have the maturity and intelligence to deal with the problem.

And people heap hate at him for dooming the motor inn, but let's analyze that for a second: He's the only reason the people at the motor inn survived as long as they did. The bandits never bothered the inn at first, since they were focused on the St John Dairy. When that place fell, the bandits could, would, and should have just ransacked the inn. But they didn't. Why? Because was giving them supplies. Ben was keeping the bandits at bay. And if the bandits had attacked earlier, then the RV would not have been ready yet, and everyone would have died (or worse)

So realistically, Clementine is alive thanks to Ben. How do you feel about dropping him down the clock tower now, you monsters?

Also, dear sweet god, I cried so hard at the ending.
Twitter.com/Blackbelt_sam
Gundam420

400 Days. A nice little appetizer before Season 2. Due to it's short length, it kept me wanting more, but I was still satisfied with what we got and it's interesting to see some of the stories connect in small ways. Here are some of my thoughts on each chapter.

Vince - I liked the characters here, but I ended up shooting Danny's foot off even though I didn't really trust Justin all that much.

Wyatt - Eddie kinda came across as an idiot, and even though he's Wyatt's friend, I didn't feel too bad about leaving him behind.

Russel - I left Nate because screw that guy. Also cameo by Carley's corpse.

Bonnie - I tried my best to not make it seem like she was interested in Leland, because the dude's already married, so I told him the truth about what happened to Dee. It was probably the most intense episode being chased by a bunch of people and running through a field.

Shel - While admittedly the least exciting episode is probably the most character-centric. I let the guy go, but I think no matter what I chose it would've ended badly anyway. I chose not to kill Stephanie, but it's not like it mattered anyway because Roman probably would've ended up killing her himself. Also I like the cameos of the cancer survivors from Vernon's group, and honestly it validates my dislike of the guy.

Epilogue - Thankfully by doing and saying the right things, I was able to get everyone to join Tavia, and it'll be interesting to see how everyone turns out in Season 2.

All in all it was great playing these games and I've already played the first 2 episodes of Season 2. I look forward to when we talk about that season, and it was cool sharing our thoughts on a series which I think shows that video games can be a legitimate form of art.
Chris
Administrator

And that's it for the main game. Gundam420 jumped the gun a bit, so we'll start with him next time as we take your comments on only 400 Days.