Ep. 060: Thor: The Dark World & Frozen

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 060: Thor: The Dark World & Frozen

Chaos Theater Ep. 060 - "Thor: The Dark World & Frozen"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 125 mins, 17 sec. (2:05:17) 57.35 MB

Special Guest Host: Magen Cubed (Opening and Thor)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To" and "Slaying the Sacred Cow"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:34:52

02. Discussion: "Thor: The Dark World"
Runtime: 0:35:40 - 1:19:33

03. Discussion: "Frozen"
Runtime: 1:20:16 - 1:32:54

04. Outro: "Audible recommendations", "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 1:33:55 - 2:02:32

Another Chaos Theater has arrived, but the game has changed. Instead of our original topic, we've got something different. Magen Cubed joins us as we catch up on what we've been doing and slay the sacred cow on the controversy surrounding the new Ms. Marvel comic. We then review Thor: The Dark World, followed by a special advance review of Frozen. Since we're reviewing a movie currently in theaters as well as one that has yet to be released, it goes without saying that there'll be lots of spoilers. As usual, we wrap up with Audible recommendations and your Mailbag questions. Next time, we'll be covering the originally scheduled DC Universe Animated Original Movies.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Pink Monsoon" from Macross Frontier by May'n
"My Boyfriend is a Pilot - MISS MACROSS 2059" from Macross Frontier by Megumi Nakajima
"Do You Remember Love? ~ Bless the Little Queen" from Macross Frontier by Megumi Nakajima

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Main RSS Feed -
Chaos Theater YouTube - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Wingnut

Re: Ep. 060: Thor: The Dark World & Frozen

Is it just me getting a bad download, or does the mailbag segment have missing gaps in the audio where it seems to jump past a few seconds here and there?
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Mu La Flaga

I got that a little, seems like it did from the end of the voicemail to the mailbag.
And my second set of questions, slight skip it seemed like again on question 2, as it picked up like mid-way in to it.
Kind of confusing to keep track, I don't know if they had skype issues...

Edit: it seems like they did, at least during the mailbag most notably.
phillosmaster

Two thumbs up from me for Thor 2. The complaints about Jane are all valid. It was my main gripe about the first film. At least she did more this movie than the last movie.

As far as Odin goes I think his opinion on humanity is spot on with the Asgardian depiction so far. Asgard and it's position of power over the nine realms is fascist. Also yeah that makes Loki even more sympathetic. It also throws more weight to Thor's decision to return to earth at the end of this movie.

I can't wait to hear more about these Netflix Marvel series. I'm super excited.

edit: yeah in the mailbag segment it skips over them reading my question and the beginning of Chris' response, but you get the jist of his opinion. I asked them if they collected comics by the issue or by the trade. Both of them seemed to suggest that they prefer to collect trades, which I'd have to say is the way the industry is going.

You can sort of see that Marvel in particular is structuring it's storylines now such that they fit neatly into trades (and the trades come out promptly now following the completion of a run). I think this is a good thing for the comic industry. I think it's a more attractive way to read comics, but I do think it's an unfortunate issue for the old fashion comic book store. I'm also going along the same lines. It's been a while since I've been in a comic store. For the titles that I'm too excited about to wait for the trade I have a mail subscription. For everything else I buy the trade.

edit2: Watched the movie again and noticed not only does Erik have 616 on his white board, but he also has "The Fault" written on there. That's another Guardians Of The Galaxy reference. The Fault was a major issue that The Guardians had to deal with at the end of their last (post Annihilation) run. that was my favorite run of the comic so I'm pretty jazzed. Also I'm still digging the direction for the new Iron Man book. Not every story is for everyone I guess. I'm not a superfan of the book, but I'm interesting in where this plot thread is going.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
Vent Noir

Re your comments about diversity/tokenism/etc in the opening segment, here's what Dwayne McDuffie had to say on the issue
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Mu La Flaga

Ok, so Thor 2, I agreed with you guys pretty much.
It's a much better sequel a solid movie, with some small issues and only Magen's small issue with Darcy being another thing I could think of, that sometimes she was almost kind of annoying.
Edit note: I do agree with Chris also, I think we should see Amora/The Enchantress and Skurge the Executioner on screen some time in future.
I can't add much to the mailbag responses, but since it kind of got cut out.
I do want to see Time Crisis older games and Zone get newer redone ports.
I think the Move worked as a viable alternative/replacement for those light gun games.
Destiny_Gundam

So how exactly did you guys land an advanced screening of Frozen anyways?

And I heard Pedro groan when Other M was mentioned. Sounds like I'm gonna have to get ready to defend the game when that episode comes around.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:So how exactly did you guys land an advanced screening of Frozen anyways?
Nothing fancy. There's always advanced screenings of movies happening around South Florida, but usually not a full month in advance like with Frozen.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Destiny_Gundam

Ah. And here I thought you guys finally made the big leagues and got invited to a press screening ;)
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."