Ep. 053: The Films of Philip K. Dick

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 053: The Films of Philip K. Dick

Chaos Theater Ep. 053 - "The Films of Philip K. Dick"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 150 mins, 22 sec. (2:30:22) 68.84 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:21:49

02. Discussion: "The Films of Philip K. Dick"
Runtime: 0:22:10 - 2:19:14

03. Outro: "Audible recommendations", "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 2:19:38 - 2:27:50

It's time to return to the dystopian futures envisioned by Philip K. Dick. After catching up on what we've been doing, we get into an in-depth discussion of several Dick stories and the movies they inspired, including Total Recall, Screamers, Impostor, Minority Report, Paycheck, A Scanner Darkly, Next and The Adjustment Bureau. We then wrap up with our Audible recommendations and a quick voicemail. Next time, it's a creature double feature as we tackle the anime series Requiem from the Darkness along with Pixar's latest, Monsters University.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Bones McCoy (Akira Yamaoka Mix)" from The Scythian Steppes: Seven #Sworcery Songs Localized for Japan by Jim Guthrie
"The Prettiest Weed (Decasségui Hip - *'s Ambition Mix)" from The Scythian Steppes: Seven #Sworcery Songs Localized for Japan by Jim Guthrie

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Main RSS Feed -
Chaos Theater YouTube - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
YokozunaBulldozer

Re: Ep. 053: The Films of Philip K. Dick

After listening to this, the recent Total Recall film now feels like a dubstep remix of a glam rock arrangement of a classic 60s song the babyboomers used to dance to. I still like certain parts of the recent film, but not a lot has changed from the 80's adaptation.

On a side note, I hope they come out with an adaptation of The Zap Gun one of these days.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
hotlimit

Re: Ep. 053: The Films of Philip K. Dick

Wow, being exposed to this much Dick made me realize how strongly his works influenced Hideo Kojima. I'm sure everyone is aware of the connection between Snatcher and Electric Sheep/Blade Runner, but just hearing snippets of plot from this episode has me convinced that A Scanner Darkly + Total Recall + Lethal Weapon = Policenauts. I wouldn't recommend the game, but I don't doubt there are some Dick references I missed when I went through it.