Ep. 047: Marvel Phase 1

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 047: Marvel Phase 1

Chaos Theater Ep. 047 - "Marvel Phase 1"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 205 mins, 49 sec. (3:25:49) 94.22 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To" and "Slaying the Sacred Cow"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:40:35

02. Discussion: "Marvel Phase 1"
Runtime: 0:41:08 - 3:16:40

03. Outro: "Audible recommendations", and "Internet whoring"[/i]
Runtime: 3:17:12 - 3:24:21

We're back with what is probably our longest episode yet. After catching up on what we've been doing, the sacred cow returns to grill up the topic of nostalgia and LucasArts. We then jump into an extremely long discussion of the six movies that make up Marvel Phase 1, including Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger and The Avengers. We also discuss some thoughts on Phase 2 and the future beyond that. The show wraps up with our Audible recommendations only, because with the long running time and late recording session we decided to skip the Mailbag. Next time, it's a two-for one as we discuss Logan's Run and Children of Men... and interview a voice actor!

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Lutece" from Bioshock Infinite by G. Schyman
"Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (Organ cover)" from Bioshock Infinite

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Hyakushiki

Re: Ep. 047: Marvel Phase 1

Chris, you may have botched the download link, there is one h too many in http.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
kayone73

Excellent, downloading now...
snoops619

Great ep guys as always. Listened to this just before going to see Iron Man 3 so it tied it up all nicely. Very excited to hear your take on Iron Man 3 and the whole of Phase 2.

Keep it up guys!
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
Mu La Flaga

I will be coming back to edit and finish this off later on, not a fully finished bit here.

Hooboy Marvel Phase 1, this is going to be a big wall of text to type up.
But hey I've really loved their works they have put out thus far including Iron Man 3 two times now.
So here goes my opinions typed up.

Iron Man:
Ok the movie which kicked off the Marvel cinematic universe and set up a few things
I thought this movie was well done, I haven't seen it in a little bit, I think the whole cast was good.
Even though I heard some not so good things about Terrence Howard as Rhodey in this movie.
Robert Downey JR IS Tony Stark in so many ways, he was great, Gwyneth Paltrow was right as Pepper Potts.
Jeff Bridges was very well cast as Obadiah Stane/Iron Monger and he even sort of made an attempt to take over Stark Industries at times subtly when he begins to doubt Tony.

Iron Man 2:
Iron Man 2, it does have it's issues, but this movie is nowhere near as bad as some people have made it out to be, Don Cheadle did a better job of portraying Rhodey/War Machine, even though his looks there is a bit of shift between him and Terrence Howard.
Whiplash was an ok villain, he had simple motives, Justin Hammer as portrayed by Sam Rockwell.
In the comics Hammer is a legitimate and competent threat to Tony Stark in the Marvel universe.
So that was a kind of weak point for Hammer in this movie.
I loved the Mark 5 suitcase armor which was a huge homage to 2 original Iron Man armors the Modular 11 suitcase armor of the 90s and also the Silver Centurion armor.
Also War Machine looked bad ass, really liked his look in the movie.
I do agree how Vanko was punked in the ways they finished him off, Repulsor Blast High Five.

The Incredible Hulk:
I thought this movie was a great reboot movie, it probably is the weakest entry of Marvel Phase 1.
But as Chris said and I agree, it is a big improvement in comparisson to the previous Ang Lee Hulk movie.
I do like the fact they set up the Leader here, I also liked Abomination's new design and Tim Roth was great as Emil Blonsky.
Pretty much all this cast was well selected, except for Dr Samson where I'm familliar with him being that dad from Modern Family.

Thor:
Chris Hemmsworth IS Thor, he did great in this movie for his big role.
Tom Hiddleston was an awesome Loki and very much was the god of mischief.

It's very well done in terms of the effects, it is very character driven and development between Thor, Loki and Odin and it worked the right way all in all.

Also it was kind of sad that Loki went from at times trying to kill Thor to not letting Odin die by the Frost Giants hands, because Odin treated him better then Laufey.

I do agree this movie has more of the SHIELD presence then Iron Man 2.

Captain America:
Chris Evans was a good Captain America,
but Hugo Weaving really seemed like the Red Skull very much so.
I liked seeing Steve develop and become Captain America.
I didn't realize with the end of this movie they left it kind of open what happened to the Red Skull though.

The Avengers
Such an awesome movie a great unification of all the phase 1 movies even if Ed Norton had to be recast.
The Helicarrier was awesome, the fights were so well done and the dialogue too.
Joss Whedon just made this movie special and awesome and alot of things people hoped for in this kind of movie.
There was a small thing that I was curious where on Earth War Machine was during the battle in New York.
But that is a small thing.
I can't think of much else to add I am curious to see where Phase 2 goes and what Phase 3 may bring.

Since I've seen Iron Man 3 it's a good start, got some twists, but a good start.