Ep. 043: Crispin Freeman & Game Club Pt. 3

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 043: Crispin Freeman & Game Club Pt. 3

Chaos Theater Ep. 043 - "Crispin Freeman & Game Club Pt. 3"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 179 mins, 4 sec. (2:59:04) 81.98 MB

Special Guest Host: Dollow Rlance (Crispin Freeman interview)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:17:46

02. Discussion: "Crispin Freeman interview"
Runtime: 0:18:16 - 1:59:15

03. Discussion: "Back to the Future: The Game (Part 3)"
Runtime: 1:59:51 - 2:19:52

04. Outro: "Audible recommendations", "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 2:20:27 - 2:58:46

It's time for another super long episode. After catching up on what we've been doing, Gundamn's Dollow Rlance assists us on an in-depth interview with voice actor Crispin Freeman. The interview covers a large variety of titles, including The Slayers, Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Haruhi Suzumiya, Ghost in the Shell and much more. Normally that would be enough for an episode, but we continue on with part three of our game club and discuss the next installment of Back to the Future: The Game, "Citizen Brown." We then wrap up with Audible recommendations and your questions from the Mailbag. Next time, we're journeying back to Randland to discuss A Memory of Light, the concluding volume of The Wheel of Time.

Episode-related Links:
Crispin's main site
Voice Acting Mastery
Mythology & Meaning

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Mother 3 - Dangerous Guys (Doni Chillout remix)" from Button Masher - Chillout Edition by Doni
"Earthbound - Lost Underworld (Doni Chillout remix)" from Button Masher - Chillout Edition by Doni
"Chrono Cross - Dream of the Shore Near Another World" (Doni Chillout remix)" from Button Masher - Chillout Edition by Doni

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Wingnut

Re: Ep. 043: Crispin Freeman & Game Club Pt. 3

Oh yeah. Been waiting for this one. Downloading now.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
mobiusdiablo

Best. Birthday present. Ever. Of all time.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
xaos

Ah man, Chris mentioning going to Suncoast in the 90s for anime tapes reminds me of the old days when I went to Suncoast to buy Tenchi Muyo in '97. :D
Varnis

WOW...Certainly learned a little extra more about voice acting (and acting in general) from the interview.
What more can i say? That's the way things are!
Dollow

I really hope you all enjoy this interview, I worked very hard to get this interview.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
Varnis

Dollow wrote:I really hope you all enjoy this interview, I worked very hard to get this interview.
And many Prom-Dumbster babies were lost that day
What more can i say? That's the way things are!
Destiny_Gundam

So how come this one's on Chaos Theater and not Gundamn?
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:So how come this one's on Chaos Theater and not Gundamn?
Because Gundamn has already had plenty of interviews already, with more still to come. Also, Crispin has more roles that are non-mecha related.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
yazi88

Dollow wrote:I really hope you all enjoy this interview, I worked very hard to get this interview.
I am very grateful for this interview. Crispin Freeman is one of my all time favorite VAs. My introduction to him was his role of Albel Nox in Star Ocean 3. I loved his maniacal laughter and the way he always added "Maggots" to pretty much every sentence. That line was so famous that a certain wizard/mage character in Valkyrie Profile 2 randomly said imaggots at the end of every battle.

Although Albito from Xenosaga really creeped me out it was still a awesome roll.

Crispin's role as a teacher to other aspiring VAs was really nice to hear and it also really touched me that he likes to imagine how a character is and what its like to be them while doing their voices. That's really really deep.
Destiny_Gundam

It always amazes me to hear just how educated Crispen Freeman is. Going on about the process to make the Philosopher's stone and such. If we could ask him questions I'd definitely ask if he had knowledge of this stuff beforehand or if he learned it looking into his roles. On the Hellsing Ultimate Blu Rays there's an interview asking him about Alucard and he's dropping all these names related to the Vlad legend and stuff. How does he remember this stuff, let alone pronounce it all properly? :lol:

Great interview. That crosses one top dog off the list. Now to go after Steve Blum!

EDIT: Heh, I guess I shouldn't post while I'm listening as he does touch on my questions. Still impressive how much knowledge he has.

EDIT 2: If I had to erase a movie, definitely Alien 3. It's mere existance spoils Aliens because
Spoiler
you want them to survive but know it's all pointless because they die stupidly in the next movie.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Arbiter GUNDAM

Best line in the whole interview: The Japanese have this thing called Bishounen, "beautiful boy." Here we call him Sephiroth.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Mu La Flaga

Awesome interview with Crispin Freeman, he seems to be a rather intelligent guy as well as talented.
I remember when I watched the Eureka Seven extras he came across that way even back then.
He obviously also has passion for his work as well as a level of understanding for roles and all that stuff.

As for Terminator 3, I have my reasons for it over Salvation.
Besides kind of funny to hear Chris almost defending it in comparisson to Salvation.

I think I will leave that alone though.
My choice of Shaq-Fu still stands, that game is just stupid and annoying and odd controls for a fighter.
Not to mention it just seemed like one big silly mess.

I had the odd feeling Nic Cage would edge out over Shatner, but would be close for Pedro to pick.
Strike Zero

Oh, snap, Crispin Freeman in the house! He just so happens to be one of my top favorite English voice actors of all time, right up there with Steve Blum and David Hayter.

I commend you guys for getting him on the show; he had some really great stories (the one about how Disney was at a loss with what to do with a Bishie character had me cracking up :lol:) and the insight he shed into what he goes through to bring a character to life was fascinating. Good show!
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
jabman025

okay took me a little while to get to this episode but it was more than worth the wait,

Wonderful interview with Crispin Freeman, I loved the discussions of all his different roles, particularly the talk on Togusa in Ghost in the Shell on he was the kit and Bato and Motoko were mom and dad, can't really unsee that now.

The talk on the disappearance of Haruhi Suzumyia was particularly entertaining, I was hoping and praying that someone would ask him about the scene in which Kyon has the confrontation with himself, and sure enough Dollow didn't disappoint me.

Thanks for getting that question in Dollow and thanks for getting Crispin Freeman on the show, it was a great listen
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025