Ep. 037: The Films of Hayao Miyazaki

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 037: The Films of Hayao Miyazaki

Chaos Theater Ep. 037 - "The Films of Hayao Miyazaki"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 170 mins, 41 sec. (2:50:41) 78.13 MB

Special Guest Host: Kristina Pino (opening and Miyazaki)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:18:05

02. Discussion: "Hayao Miyazaki"
Runtime: 0:18:36 - 2:39:19

03. Outro: "Audible recommendations" and "Internet whoring"[/i]
Runtime: 2:39:56 - 2:49:03

It's time for another show-killing episode! Tomopop's Kristina Pino joins us to discuss the feature films of director Hayao Miyazaki. After catching up on what we've been doing, we dive into a discussion of: Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo. Please note that this is not a Studio Ghibli episode, but we will be discussing their remaining films in the future. Due to the late hour of the night and the length of the main topic, there is no Mailbag this episode. Next time, we're heading far to the east to discuss the classic video game series Prince of Persia.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Tonari no Totoro" from My Neighbor Totoro by Joe Hisaishi
"Rouge Message" from Kiki's Delivery Service by Yumi Arai

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
yazi88

Re: Ep. 037: The Films of Hayao Miyazaki

It can't be helped that isn't a mailbag segment this episode but the segment of Miyazaki films more than makes up for it.
Wingnut

Should be interesting. Will listen tomorrow.

Meanwhile.... *begins setting up appropriate traps for Ep. 038*
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
jcncasval76

Did anyone even notice that Totoro make a cameo in Toy Story 3? "Totoro" was so iconic (one of my favorite movies) that not only the studio uses that as the logo, see TS3.

Speaking of Phil Hartman, asides from the work on "the Simpsons" & "Kiki", he was also doing "newsradio" & "small soldiers" movie before his untimely passing.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
bertman4

Nausicaä: Box set is coming out Tuesday November 6 in the US. Go get it now!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/142155 ... 06_s00_i00
Kristina’s recollection is incorrect. Nausicaä sacrifices herself to stop the rampage of the Ohmus.
Mu La Flaga

Ok so Hayao Miyazaki.
I can't say much on him, haven't seen many of his movies think I caught a little bit of Luppin the 3rd Count of Cagliostro once.

I also saw Spirited Away in cinemas once when it came out.
It was a good movie and left an impression and as Chris noted there are some creepy elements like the giant baby and other things.

But I did like the story even if was little confusing at times.
hotlimit

Same as Chris, Grave of the Fireflies was my first Ghibli movie (mom rented the VHS for me knowing 'I was into those Japanimation Digimons and whatnot'), and Kiki's Magic Delivery Service was my first Miyazaki film. Of the three I've seen (Lupin III, Kiki's, and Spirited Away), Spirited Away is by far my favorite. When I was a kid, I loved books and movies where kids were independent and could live in their own little world, and Miyazaki's movies capture that atmosphere so well. Contrast this with my older brother and parents' reaction to Kiki, which was basically, "OMG this is so weird, why is this little girl off on her own and oh no, she's hanging out with this strange woman in the woods and this isn't how things should be at all, oh my god!!!"

I never had any interest in Princess Mononoke when I was a kid, but now I really want to see it. Porco Rosso sounds good, too. I remember reading about it in the New Yorker around the time of the US release, but never had the chance to watch it.
Varnis

Loved this topic....Laputa:Castle in the Sky is definitely one the most 'beautiful' 80's anime movie I've ever seen
What more can i say? That's the way things are!
Destiny_Gundam

Oh Miyazaki. You do good work, but you're not some anime god that your fans make you out to be. Your stuff can be pretty samey, with you cramming in environmental messages and such, but they're still nice films. Princess Mononoke is my favourite.

But I have to laugh. For how vocally anti-moe Miyazaki is, almost all of his films star cute young girls. Mr Miyazaki, perhaps you should have a seat...
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
yazi88

Out of all the Miyazaki movies, Princess Mononoke is the 1st one I've seen and the most times I've seen as well. Kiki's delivery service and Totoro are also really great feel good movies. But I still have to say that out of them all I like Castle of Cagilistro the most cause I am a big fan of Lupin the 3rd. I fell in love with the Lupin series since I saw it on Adult Swim many years ago.

I absolutely refuse to re-watch Grave of the Fireflies. I was already very depressed then when I first saw it and I watch shows/movies to enjoy myself, not cry and weep at very depressing circumstances. That is also a good reason why I also refuse to re-watch Air...
hotlimit

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Oh Miyazaki. You do good work, but you're not some anime god that your fans make you out to be. Your stuff can be pretty samey, with you cramming in environmental messages and such, but they're still nice films. Princess Mononoke is my favourite.

But I have to laugh. For how vocally anti-moe Miyazaki is, almost all of his films star cute young girls. Mr Miyazaki, perhaps you should have a seat...
He's also very vocally anti-video game, yet he OK'd Ni no Kuni. Don't take these 'artists' seriously when they get on a self righteous kick. (just like the guy who said he only did voices in transformers for the paycheck).

Also dang, I must not have heart and soul because I wasn't deeply affected by Grave of the Fireflies like everyone else. I mean, it's just a cartoon, and it's pretty bleak from the get-go.
Destiny_Gundam

Yeah, but stuff like that stands out when they're worshipped like gods. People tend to put too much weight to their words too. Like when Miyazaki said his son wasn't ready to make a movie everyone was convinced Earthsea was going to be awful when it hadn't even come out yet.

Yeah, Miyazaki is also father of the year :lol:

As for Fireflies, well, Sage covered it pretty well. Too blatantly manipulative.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."