Ep. 035: Another

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 035: Another

Chaos Theater Ep. 035 - "Another"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 90 mins, 44 sec. (1:30:44) 41.53 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:27:54

02. Discussion: "Another"
Runtime: 0:28:29 - 0:49:36

03. Outro: "Audible recommendations", "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 0:50:14 - 1:29:04

It's time to visit creepy Japanese schools with this episode. After catching up on what we've been doing, we get into a discussion about the horror anime series Another. Then we dish out our Audible picks and answer your questions in the Mailbag. Next time, we're doing a Very Special Episode full of lots of hatred.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Parade" from Paprika by Susumu Hirakawa
"Kyoumu Densen" from Another by ALI PROJECT
"Anamnesis" from Another by Annabel

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Flame-X

Re: Ep. 035: Another

I saw the first 10 eps of Another as Final Destination and the last 2 as Battle Royal. I was rather skeptical about the show before watching it because horror genre in anime fails to scare or creep me out (Higurashi was the only exception). What really sold me on Another is the high production values and its sheer atmosphere. The art design is just beautiful to look at and probably the best looking 12 ep series I've seen this year. The one thing that gave me the creep factor were Mei's doll collection. They all have sad and very unhappy faces in such detailed fashion which is just so unpleasant to look at. One scene I thought was memorable is when Kouichi was daydreaming himself dancing with Mei in the classroom. If the entire classroom's gonna ignore you, why not do what you want? :) Overall, I enjoyed this series from start to finish. I'll pick it up on bluray whenever Sentai puts it out. If there was anything that made me head scratch, it's Mei's fake eye. The show never went into that in detail so it makes me wonder how does having that fake eye give her the ability to see living dead people.
Mu La Flaga

Appreciate the recommendations for PS3, should have mentioned that list I already have and was looking to expand my collection and I am doing so :P
Got Tekken Tag 2 today in fact, well be getting others in future.
Heavy Rain I am reconsidering keeping lol out of the whole list.

Dead Pool looks promising and it's being developed by High Moon studios, the same developes who have done the Transformers games, it should be good.

I can't really comment on Another, I've heard of it, not sure if I will see it though.
Destiny_Gundam

Aw, I would have loved to have been a guest host for this ep!

Another was great, not really at being scary, but at creating such a tense atmosphere. Despite being spoiled on the solution early on (thanks Wikipedia!) it still kept me engrossed with how things would unfold.

I really got into Koichi and Mei's relationship. I had kinda fallen out of shipping at the time due to bad experiences, but I found myself looking forward to seeing what would grow between those two, even more so than how the mystery would unfold. It (along with Aquarion Evol) rekindled by shipping spirit!

Oh, and Ali Project still ruins everything :lol:
Flame-X wrote:If there was anything that made me head scratch, it's Mei's fake eye. The show never went into that in detail so it makes me wonder how does having that fake eye give her the ability to see living dead people.
It's probably because she almost died during the operation, so her fake eye is connected to death. Think of it like the Mystic Eyes of Death Perception from Kara no Kyoukai/Tsukihime.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
bertman4

Thanks for covering this series. I really enjoyed Another, and your review. I thought you should have explained the phenomena/curse earlier in the review.
Spoiler
The curse affects the class 3-3 students, the home room teacher, as well as their closest blood relatives while they are in Yomiyama City.
The causes of death are random. It can be an accident, illness, suicide or even murder.
The probability of events that can lead to death are increased (such as freak traffic accidents) while in the city. At the same time, people tend to become less aware of these dangers.
These occurrences happen at a frequency of once or twice a month. It usually affects 1 or 2 people, but can affect much more (as seen during the final two episodes).
Death can be avoided if outside the city. However, if the cause of death started in the city, leaving it will not help. This is seen with the kid that got chopped up by the boat. His actual cause of death was a stroke that occurred while he was in Yomiyama. Which is why he wasn't feeling well, threw up during the drive, and became unable to swim.
In addition, I think Yousuke's life is really tragic due to the curse.
Spoiler
His mom Ritsuko died when she returned to her home town to give birth to him. Her sister (Yousuke's aunt Reiko) was at that time in calss 3-3.
His aunt Reiko died year and a half ago when she was the homeroom teacher for calss 3-3.
In any case, I'm looking forward to picking this up on BD when Sentai gets around to releasing it.
Destiny_Gundam

If what happened to Izumi saddened you, go read the manga.
Spoiler
She gets to live in that (though her romantic sub plot with Koichi is absent).
And fine, Chris, I won't submit 20 questions. I'll submit 19 instead :P
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."