Ep. 034: The Dark Knight Trilogy

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 034: The Dark Knight Trilogy

Chaos Theater Ep. 034 - "The Dark Knight Trilogy"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 128 mins, 18 sec. (2:08:18) 58.73 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:15:22

02. Discussion: "The Dark Knight Trilogy"
Runtime: 0:15:57 - 1:38:57

03. Outro: "Audible recommendations", "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 1:39:35 - 2:06:53

Chaos Theater is back to talk some Batman. Having previously discussed Christopher Nolan's other films, this time we're covering the Dark Knight trilogy. After catching up on what we've been doing, we jump into a discussion of Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises and the related animated film Batman: Gotham Knight. We then discuss our Audible recommendations and answer your questions from the Mailbag. Please keep those voicemails and Mailbag questions coming, as we keep running out of questions every episode now. Next time, we're going to a small Japanese town full of gruesome deaths as we discuss the horror anime Another.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"uJam Chant" from The Dark Knight Rises by Hans Zimmer
"The Fire Rises" from The Dark Knight Rises by Hans Zimmer
"A Dark Knight" from The Dark Knight by Hans Zimmer

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Flame-X

Re: Ep. 034: The Dark Knight Trilogy

Oh hell yes! I've been waiting for this ep ever since the Nolan movies discussion. Can't wait to listen.
Turn-A Binker

FINALLY! YES! What took so long?!

Also, Chris, just in case:
http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/
Mu La Flaga

Ok, so the Dark Knight Trilogy as a whole in the end is rather good, I can't think of much to add to the discussion you guys already brought up.
I think that out of the 2 villains I kind of give the edge to Joker more, I mean Tom Hardy was an awesome Bane in the end.
But there was something sinister and just more so dangerous about this Joker could do so much to Gotham City.
That and I always remembered people complaining how Two Face was done not that great.
I think it was handled well seeming him being built up as Harvey Dent then his fall and seeing him become the villain himself.

Which kind of has that ironic echo to his quote earlier on.

Selena Kyle/Catwoman in Rises was awesome, I enjoyed seeing her and how she handled choices in time.
Where as the first time she was on Bane's side, she never was willingly and obviously defected when Bruce/Batman could offer her so much better.
Not to mention he seemed to be sympathetic to her and Selena herself grew closer and attracted to him and considered him a friend.

Talia herself surprised me that the reason as to why she decided to make a move if she didn't care much for R'hauls Gaul.
She obviously had her mind set on revenge in the end.

As for the Robin speculation, I could see a Nightwing movie being done if they follow this set up.
Since as mentioned he found the Batcave and all the tech and weapons and costumes in it.

As for mailbag stuff, well when I meant non-cannon, well it seems like one because.
It has the same character look and the layout of the city and some characters, but obviously it's done by a totally different developer.
So it seems like it is part of Yakuza series, but at least not in SEGA's mind.
I figured also it would be close between Spider-man 3 and Batman and Robin.
Destiny_Gundam

Almost caught up with my Chaos Theater back log...

So Nolan's Batman stuff. They were pretty good over all, though I don't hold them as highly as everyone else. Begins was good, Dark Knight was great, but Rises was definitely the worst of the bunch.

I don't have much to say about Begins. It was good and I can't really remember anything to complain about.

Dark Knight is just a hair's width away from being as good as everyone says. The Joker was good, I think Two Face was better, and it had some good things to say (the best scene is when that criminal throws to detonator out the window). However there are a few stupid things.

One problem with Nolan's Batman is that Nolan only focused on Bruce's physical training. He's supposed to be the world's greatest detective but he did almost no detective work. They did shoe horn one scene of it in DK, but it was CSI level BS. A finger print from a bullet? For one, the bullet wouldn't shatter, it would get squished, so no print would be usable. Also, what was the point? Even if you identify the shooter, what made him think that their address would be a significant location? Through plot convenience it was, but come on. And Nolan's Batman is supposed to be realistic!

The other thing, and I'm glad Blake mentioned it in Rises, but Batman taking the blame for Harvey's crimes was moronic. In the first place, Gordon says Harvey killed 5 people, 2 of them cops, but he only killed 3, only 1 of them a cop. Instead of blaming Batman, why not blame the Joker's thugs? What was there tying Harvey to the crimes anyways? As for Harvey's death itself, just say he was mourning his fiancee at the place she died and accidentally fell off the edge.

Now Rises, there's a doozy. It was a film that I enjoyed while watching, however after I left the theater and thought about what happened, I realised how many problems it had. I suppose I should spoiler tag it.
Spoiler
Okay, where to start... How did Gordon know who Bane was? No one said his name while he was in the sewer.

So Bane uses Batman's finger prints to trade away all his money. Yeah, there are systems in place to stop obvious fraudulant transations (that are far more instant than what the film says), like how all these trades happened during a damn armed assault on the stock exchange! Bruce should not have lost his money.

So Bruce gets his back broken... and he's fixed by hanging from some rope? Moreover this apparently fixed his bum leg too since he climbed out of the cave without that brace he made earlier in the movie. After that how the hell did he get back to Gotham? He's broke and the city was all blocked up and yet he just shows up. Don't say "It's because he's Batman!" It's supposed to be realistic, remember?

Bane's scheme... Yeah, why is it the same every movie? Ra's wants to destroy Gotham, Joker wanted to destroy Gotham, Bane wants to destroy Gotham... What the heck is so special about a crap hole like Gotham anyways? Why did the bomb have a timer? Unstable reactors could blow at anytime, there's no exact calculation.

Why did everyone believe Bane when he read Gordon's speech? They had no way of knowing if it was real or not and it's not like Bane had shown himself to be a trustworthy person earlier...
Those are all the plot holes I can think of at the moment. It seems like Nolan focused too much on making it as big as possible and the plotting suffered for it. There was plenty I liked, like Selena, Blake, what they did with Miranda (saw that coming), and Bane was good. That ending, though...
Spoiler
Bruce cannot give up being Batman. A core part of Batman's character is that Bruce has this impulsive need to be Batman. Like has always been said, Bruce is the disguise of Batman, and he'd only give it up because he's old and can't do it anymore. So him retiring like that is definitely not in Batman's character.
While Rises actually did what I wanted it to (bring the series full circle by bringing back the League of Shadows) It could have been much, much better. It sure as hell didn't knock it out of the park like The Avengers did.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
jntymuron31

the first two Dark Knight movies were masterpiece IMO, sadly some lone gunman in Aurora, CO had to spoil all my enjoyment in its entirety by committing murders in a movie theatre, otherwise, I would have watched it with friends.

As for Batman & Robin, and even to the same extent, Batman Forever, had that fatal flaw was that Gotham City was too strange to be a real city, which is a fault of director Joe Schumacher, who sadly replicated that problem with another movie called "The Phantom of The Opera".
Destiny_Gundam

Hey, I love Schumacher's Phantom of the Opera.

I don't hate his Batman movies either, because Silver Age Batman doesn't bother me (hello Adam West).
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."