Ep. 033: The Works of Satoshi Kon

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 033: The Works of Satoshi Kon

Chaos Theater Ep. 033 - "The Works of Satoshi Kon"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 122 mins, 59 sec. (2:02:59) 56.3 MB

Special Guest Host: Colette Bennett (opening and Satoshi Kon)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:24:22

02. Discussion: "Satoshi Kon"
Runtime: 0:24:55 - 1:28:13

03. Outro: "Audible recommendations", "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 1:28:50 - 2:01:42

As promised, here's our episode on Satoshi Kon. Our friend and geek writer Colette Bennett joins us this episode. After catching up on what we've been doing, we launch into our detailed discussion of Satoshi Kon's filmography, including the "Magnetic Rose" segment of Memories, followed by Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paranoia Agent and Paprika. We then discuss our Audible suggestions for this episode, followed by your questions from the Mailbag. Next time, we're heading back to Gotham to discuss Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Parade" from Paprika by Susumu Hirasawa
"Run" from Millennium Actress by Susumu Hirasawa
"Dream Island Obsessional Park" from Paranoia Agent by Susumu Hirasawa

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
yazi88

Re: Ep. 033: The Works of Satoshi Kon

I personally put Tokyo Godfathers as one of my all time favorite movies, including regular non-anime movies. The 3 main characters are really lovable and also pretty funny too with their weird antics and crazy mishaps.

The movie also kinda tells you something positive about human nature (pretty rare these days), how 3 random people find a baby and risk their lives to save it and get it back with her parents.

Also had a great ending too.
hotlimit

Well dang! The only Kon work I knew about was Paprika, which I saw a few years back. I never heard the Inception/Paprika comparison, but I had always heard the Paprika/The Cell (w/ Jennifer Lopez) comparison. Did either you or Pedro see The Cell, and draw any comparisons between the two? I doubt it was anything more than "going inside people's minds and seeing messed up stuff" (which is nothing new in sci-fi) but who knows.
Chris
Administrator

Nope, never saw The Cell.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Mu La Flaga

Not much I can say for this one.
Satoshi Kon I've heard of but never seen his works myself, at the very least it seems a shame he died at the age he did.

As for the mailbag, well I can't add much more, but that is another aspect of Emulation/ROMs ect.
Like getting access to games, which sometimes aren't even released outside of Japan and all that stuff.
bertman4

Based on your awesome recommendations, I was able to pick up used copies of Millenium Actress, Paprika, and Memories at a really good price at Amazon Marketplace. Perfect Blue unfortunately was ridiculously expensive. Anyway, looking forward to watching them with some friends.

Also, thanks Chris for your previous Audible recommendation of How To Be Black by Baratunde Thurston. I'm listening to it right now and it's hilarious. The audiobook add quite a bit since his Black Panel is voiced by the individuals from the Black Panel.
animalia

I have to wonder if Satoshi Kon hurrying to get as much work possible in before he died, actually accelerated his death, and maybe even ended up causing him to get less work done.
bertman4

For those of you in Japan, there will be a Satoshi Kon exhibit at the Suginami Animation Museum. Dates are from October 29, 2014 to January 25, 2015.
http://sam.or.jp/kikaku-list/%E3%80%8E% ... B%E5%82%AC