Ep. 031: The Films of Spider-Man

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 031: The Films of Spider-Man

Chaos Theater Ep. 031 - "The Films of Spider-Man"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 142 mins, 12 sec. (2:22:12) 65.1 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:22:58

02. Discussion: "Spider-Man"
Runtime: 0:23:29 - 1:50:19

03. Outro: "Audible recommendations", "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 1:50:59 - 2:19:33

We're back for a discussion about your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man, but before that we catch up on what we've been doing. We then dive into a dissection of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy, along with Mark Webb's new film, The Amazing Spider-Man. We then dish out some Audible recommendations and answer your questions from the Mailbag. Next time, we're distorting reality as we discuss the works of the late Satoshi Kon.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Main Titles" from Spider-Man by Danny Elfman
"Hero" from Spider-Man by Chad Kroeger featuring Josey Scott

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
GoodRamen

Re: Ep. 031: The Films of Spider-Man

awesome! thanks
hotlimit

Great episode, I wasn't aware that the latest Spiderman movie drew ire! I was one of the people complaining about the bio web-shooters from the first film. Not that it hurt the movie in any way, but I was so used to the 90s Spiderman cartoon and how most of the drama was created by Peter running out of web fluid (so yeah, an overused plot device). It was like, "He's never gonna run out, he's invincible!" hahahha.

My only problem with the latest movie is that it made me miss the Spectacular Spiderman cartoon, like, "DAMN, why couldn't we have one more season!!" I have a feeling we'll see some Goblin action in the next one, but with special effects as they are now, I wouldn't mind seeing the Rhino tear up a city block while Spidey flips around.
Mu La Flaga

Ok hoo-boy where to start with the replies for the main topic on this one.
Going to break this down and my Amazing Spider-man section will ALL be in spoilers.

Spider-man 1:

I agree for the most part.
In regards to Organic Webshooters vs the ones Peter makes, I didn't mind it but the thing I appreciate from the new movie is I like the fact it shows Peter has a keen scientific and innovative mind he can build them.
Rather then just the spider giving him the ability it imparts that knowledge to him mentally.
Spoiler
And he thus builds them with materials he has access to.
Even if he invokes the webshooters being crushed in Amazing Spider-man
I do agree Tobey isn't that good in terms of his portrayal, but he had the looks nailed down more then Andrew Garfield in my opinion.
Dunst I didn't mind as MJ in the movies, although could have picked a girl for the part.

I was never a big fan of the power armor like all green simplified Green Goblin outfit seemed kind of lame.
I admit like Pedro I feel sort of the same on how MJ had the whole near death in the style of Gwen in the comics, but I also ignored it, just a nitpicky thing.

And as far as I've heard in Marvel comics with Gwen's death it was the shock/momentum of the fall back then.

Also loved J Jonah Jameson in the movies Raimi did.

"Bonesaw's comings for you!"

Spider-man 2:

Ok, this one I really like Dr Octopus/Otto Octavius portrayed by Alfred Molina.
But despite Chris'es rant on the safety aspect of his fusion power experiment demonstration,
it was actually conducted at Oscorp, not in his apartment and hence the lack of safety in his lab.
That and obviously Otto had confidence in his abilities in pulling this off with his robotic arms.

I did appreciate the fact this movie humanized him and gave him a bond between him and Peter Parker and obviously Peter manages to reach the real him during their final fight.

On a note of Peter loosing his powers, I was hoping they might foreshadow potentially developing to Peter having his Man-Spider problems possibly in a future movie or not.

As for Harry well it was expected for him to develop in to his role in Spider-man 3.

Spider-man 3:

Spider-man 3 is an interesting mess of a movie to say the least of it.
So firstly I wanted to say I thought the weak link in this movie was New Goblin,
they dwelled on him too much,
set him up to have amnesia for most of the movie, regain his memories still hate Peter then change his opinion after his butler changes his opinion on his father,
it could have been done sooner or put aside for a future movie.

Focus more on Venom and things between Brock and Parker,
also I was disappointed he wasn't buff type Venom and more like a sort of opposite mirror to Peter in a way.
They did leave a small note of Dr Connor's keeping a sample of the symbiote which could have set up for Carnage or Venom in the next movie.

I do agree the 90s series handled the Venom saga better over all,
I think Pedro was thinking of Venom's return and how his symbiote came back to Earth on a meteorite and crash landed in a park.
Where as Chris is correct how the symbiote originally came to Earth and attached itself to Peter.
In fact Peter thought it was originally oil or something.

I didn't mind the black costume's look, however it didn't give him all of the benefits.

Sandman and his retcon on Uncle Ben's death may be controversial.
But I saw it as him coming across as not being a complete and utter totally horrid guy.

As per some of Sandman's depictions in the comics, he could be an ally or a friend to Spider-man.
Besides the original result in the first movie from Peter's perspective still motivated him to take action responsibility for what happened at the time.
I thought it related to how he showed a human side, how he was only a criminal because of his daughter's ailing health.
I also really liked Thomas Haden Church'es portrayl of Sandman.

Finally I was never a fan of New Goblin, his outfit was lame and the name was just stupid also.
If he became another Goblin like Hobgoblin or stuff it would have messed with Peter to make him guess who it was under the mask and all that stuff.

On a Spider-man 4 note, I like Chris am glad Raimi's trilogy died off before 4 came to life.
So we NEVER got the Vultress, screw Raimi altering Felciia Hardy potentially becoming Black Cat.

Amazing Spider-man:
Spoiler
Ok for Amazing Spider-man I am going to say first off.
I never outright hated it I just has some level of caution to it.
I didn't feel Andrew Garfield at the time based on the trailers I saw online ect and I also wondered why Marvel didn't outright buy the rights back from Sony to get that back from them.

I saw the movie today and Andrew Garfield is a better actor at portraying Peter then Tobey did, not quite in looks though, seeing him play the role changed my mind on him.
I do agree the affection seemed rather genuine between Peter and his Aunt and Uncle.

I already replied on the web shooters part earlier for Peter also.

It was interesting to see a different death for Ben, still has that same affect.

Emma Stone as Gwen was spot on in looks and personality.
I will say, wasn't a fan of George Stacey for most of the movie until he changed later on and his ultimate fate.

Rhys Ifans as Dr Connors/The Lizard was very well done.
I have small issues with still not keen on lizard's look
It's not great when you can see the actor's lower eyelids in the costume or CG
more then once and his face reminds me of a Goomba from the live action Super Mario Brothers movie.
Not to mention, normal teeth, not like lizard like sharp teeth, crocodile like snout or red eyes.

Lizard's plan was rather odd and simple itself.

Also didn't like they had no family for Dr Connors.
Even if they put something of a relationship between him and Peter as a student and mentor type thing and Connors is obviously taken over at times by the Lizard side of him later on.

The stuff with Flash wasn't as bad as I thought, similarly for the Police too, the trailer made it look different.

The sequel looks like the mid credits guy might be Norman Osborn or Electro.
Didn't care much for Ratha the little lackey guy to Norman.

I also loved the Stan Lee cameo fight scene in the library.
That is it, no mailbag entry from me this time.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Fri May 15, 2015 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
yazi88

Just saw the Amazing Spider-man about 2 days ago, in 3D.

My thoughts: I personally put it it above all the Raimi movies, even Spider-man 2, cause this had a lot of improvements: acting (Garfield) was really good as Peter/Spidey, especially the trash talking and is also quick on his feet and knows what to do in a situation unlike Maguire who acted pretty stiff at times and the way he portrayed Peter was a bumbling introvert who didn't seem that bright and was pretty indecisive on what to do a lot, pretty hesitant even as Spidey and was also a little too quick to take off his mask too without realizing the consequences. Garfield actually showed Peter Parker as a genius with the whole electronic Web-shooter which I found to be really cool plus showed some interesting ingenuity with the way he webbed his enemies, especially in the crotch.

Also, best Stan Lee cameo, yet...
Last edited by yazi88 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kayone73

yazi88 wrote:Just saw the Amazing Spider-man about 2 days ago, in 3D.

My thoughts: I personally put it it above all the Raimi movies, even Spider-man 2, cause this had a lot of improvements: acting (Garfield) was really good as Peter/Spidey, especially the trash talking and is also quick on his feet and knows what to do in a situation unlike Maguire who acted pretty stiff at times and the way he portrayed Peter was a bumbling introvert who didn't seem that bright and was pretty indecisive on what to do a lot, pretty hesitant even as Spidey and was also a little too quick to take off his mask too without realizing the consequences. Garfield actually showed Peter Parker as a genius with the whole electronic Web-shooter which I found to be really cool plus showed seem interesting ingenuity with the way he webbed his enemies, especially in the crotch.

Also, best Stan Lee cameo, yet...
I'll agree that Tobey Maguire is a bit of an uncharismatic dullard of an actor and he really lacked screen presence as Peter coupled with some really awkward dialogue from him. Much as I want to dislike Andrew Garfield for being a pretty boy, he's got much better acting chops.

I've listened to Maguire speak in interviews and he almost puts me to sleep.
Destiny_Gundam

I will still go see Jack Reacher (my parents won't since they don't want to read future books and see Tom Cruise), but the trailer looks like Tom Cruise is playing every other action hero Tom Cruise has ever played.

Batman's dark nature doesn't really bother me, sometimes I just tire of his "MY PARENTS ARE DEEEEAD! I CAN'T BE HAPPY THERE IS ONLY THE MISSION!!!" attitude. Dude needs to lighten up. And no, Batman has not always been excessively dark. The Silver Age and Adam West say hi.

Like I said, I get people saying Superman is Gary Stu-ish. By the same token, though, so is Batman. Superman has a zillion powers, but Batman pulls convenient day saving devices out of his ass I mean utility belt. He'll also come up with some impossibly detailed plan that ends up working at just the right moment regardless of how convoluted it is. To justify some regular guy in a bat costume rubbing shoulders with Superman and Wonder Woman the writers shrug and say "he's just that good."

Anyways, there are some great Superman episodes in Justice Leauge that really shows Supe's range as a character. Check out "For the Man Who Has Everything", "Clash", and "Destroyer." What Pedro was talking about is his famous World of Cardboard speech.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
hotlimit

kayone73 wrote:
I'll agree that Tobey Maguire is a bit of an uncharismatic dullard of an actor and he really lacked screen presence as Peter coupled with some really awkward dialogue from him. Much as I want to dislike Andrew Garfield for being a pretty boy, he's got much better acting chops.

I've listened to Maguire speak in interviews and he almost puts me to sleep.
Is Garfield really a prettyboy though? When my mom and I saw the preview before the Avengers, we were both like "OH, that dude is perfect for the semi-nerdy semi-superhero Spiderman".

edit - And regarding the age thing, I think he pulled off being a kid better than Emma stone did, I'd never guess he was the older of the two (maybe that was deliberate?)
Turn-A Binker

Great episode as always. Can't wait for one on Nolan's Batman Trilogy. When is that?
Chris
Administrator

Turn-A Binker wrote:Great episode as always. Can't wait for one on Nolan's Batman Trilogy. When is that?
The near future (as in not the next episode).
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
kayone73

hotlimit wrote:
Is Garfield really a prettyboy though? When my mom and I saw the preview before the Avengers, we were both like "OH, that dude is perfect for the semi-nerdy semi-superhero Spiderman".

edit - And regarding the age thing, I think he pulled off being a kid better than Emma stone did, I'd never guess he was the older of the two (maybe that was deliberate?)
Yep, Garfield cleans up pretty well when he wants to be stylin.

http://content7.flixster.com/rtactor/42 ... 33_ori.jpg