Sp. 002: Save or Troll

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Soul Bro Ryu

Sp. 002: Save or Troll

Chaos Theater Sp. 002 - "Save or Troll"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 124 mins, 50 sec. (2:04:50) 57.2 MB

Special Guest Hosts: Soul Bro Ryu and Austin Blake (opening and Save or Troll)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "Special Comment"
Runtime: 0:00:31 - 0:18:14

02. Discussion: "Save or Troll?"
Runtime: 0:18:17 - 2:01:30

I don't know if you guys are ready for this insanity. In our second special, your usual hosts are joined by Gundamn's own Soul Bro Ryu and the supreme general of hate, Austin Blake. Things start off pretty normal, when we talk about what we've been up to, but things take a turn for the vicious when we get to our main topic. If given the opportunity to either save or relentless destroy a video game company, what would we do? Well, you'll definitely find out how each of us feels by the end of this one!

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Laplace's Box -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - Laplace's Box @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Laplace's Box @Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Last edited by Soul Bro Ryu on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Mu La Flaga

Re: Sp. 002: Save or Troll

This should be fun, but a quick note for SBR.
Up top .

"Special Guest Hosts: Soul Bro Ryu and Austin Black (opening and Save or Troll)"

You need to fix that, Austin was already Black :P
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Why am I not surprised that Soulbro and Austin are going head to head again? :)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Mu La Flaga

Ok so my thoughts now on the episode.
This was rather interesting trainwreck of an episode to listen to :P
I pretty much agree on the Capcom issue Soul Bro and Pedro raised.
But anyway, I don't have a PS3 or all that so I can't comment on it more in depth.

I think this idea was good and it went rather well, bt I think it was a small shame Chris remmained neutral and the moderator.
Nor did he use "Old Time News Guy" voice for that.
mobiusdiablo

Mu La Flaga wrote:I think this idea was good and it went rather well, bt I think it was a small shame Chris remmained neutral and the moderator.
Nor did he use "Old Time News Guy" voice for that.
Amen to that. Maybe pose it as a mailbag question?
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Flame-X

So who won the MvC2 game? Austin or Soul Bro?
Varnis

Damn it...I was laughing my ass off all episode, and no offense guys but I imagined each of you guys getting high while you're plotting your troll plans XD
What more can i say? That's the way things are!
Mu La Flaga

Also there were some pretty funny moments, like the brief "shut up war of words"
Between Chris and Pedro :P
Mr Bushido

This was a great ep. Sega Hitler was just hilarious. But to make the Capcom part more interesting it should have been forced upon Soul Bro and the General where Soul Bro had to troll Capcom and the General saves it.
501st Legion - Northern California Golden Gate Garrison
TK-3942 aka TK-EXIA
So the Geara Zulu has an Stg-44 and the Jesta has a Scar-H w/ holographic scope.
Furious Rodimus

Great episode guys! So funny.
It's the stronger who create the weaker!

I am the (Color) (Object/Natural Element), Ace of (Organization) Fear Me!
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

I've never laughed so much at a podcast. A great combination of personalities here.

Also, fuck you, Capcom. They've completely fucked up with Monster Hunter.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Arbiter GUNDAM

You guys forgot to mention Lucasarts! :)

I would simultaneously troll and save them, first by killing The Old Republic out of sheer spite. Then I would ban them from making any games related to the prequel trilogy or the post-ROTJ EU, so that they could make a proper sequel to KOTOR with Bioware. Then I would have them bring out a new X-Wing game, maybe collaborating with the guys that do the Ace Combat series. Oh and make a modern update of Shadows of the Empire.

--Freyja Wion
Mu La Flaga

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:You guys forgot to mention Lucasarts! :)

I would simultaneously troll and save them, first by killing The Old Republic out of sheer spite. Then I would ban them from making any games related to the prequel trilogy or the post-ROTJ EU, so that they could make a proper sequel to KOTOR with Bioware. Then I would have them bring out a new X-Wing game, maybe collaborating with the guys that do the Ace Combat series. Oh and make a modern update of Shadows of the Empire.
Arbitter I would second ALL of that.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Seriously. Back in the day they at least tried to branch out with games like The Dig, Full Throttle, Sam and Max and Treasure of Monkey Island. But now Treasure and Sam and max are operated by Telltale and Lucasarts just makes money off of lowest-common-denominator Star wars games.

At least the Rogue Squadron game for N64 was good.

--Freyja Wion
hotlimit

Oh man, the hate was flowing! The only company that ever 'wronged' me was Konami, because they made some dirtbag 'serious business' moves that destroyed my favorite game developers (who were under Konami at the time). So now I can't enjoy any new games from my favorite genre, but I get a nice helping of rehashed sports games every year (plus a MGS game every now and then).

@Arbiter GUNDAM: Yeah, honestly it would probably destroy the company, but I would have them do a big-budget space flight sim.

@Seraphic: I don't know much about Monster Hunter other than that a lot of people love it, what has Capcom done to screw it up?
The Fowl Sorcerous

it's funny how saving squeeninx and trolling squeenix sounds remarkably similar.
[[lorem ipsum]]
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

hotlimit wrote:@Seraphic: I don't know much about Monster Hunter other than that a lot of people love it, what has Capcom done to screw it up?
Oh jesus.

Well, the game originated on ps2. That's all fine and dandy. Then it moved to psp, a very prolific handheld in japan. That's cool, too.

Capcom keeps dropping the ball and barely localizes any of the games. The last game we've seen in the US is MH Tri, and that was in 2010. It was on the Wii, a console that no serious player wants, and has horrible online services. Tri was originally also announced for ps3, which would have been perfect, but Capcom got lazy and cancelled it, saying the expectation for graphics would have been too great.

Then, Portable 3rd came out for the psp. It looked great. Capcom never localized it. Then they ported the game to ps3 as an HD game. (Yes, that means they fucking lied about the work it takes to put MH on ps3.) They never localized that either. Yeah these are region free and many people imported, but MH has thousands of items in the game that are a requirement for the experience, and referencing all of that is extremely painful. I don't want to play while having to have a spreadsheet open all the time.

After that, MH Tri G came out on the motherf*cking 3DS, a fucking weak and crappy console. It sold weakly for a MH game because the number of 3DS owners compared to psp owners is extremely small. Capcom just keeps making handheld games because they're too god damn lazy to update the graphics for the game. They're still using the same graphics engine from MH2, and that was back on the ps2!! And they still haven't localized this game either, and the 3DS is not region free, so people who imported had to shell out like $400 dollars for a japanese 3DS and the japanese copy of the game.

And then, they announced MH 4 for 3DS. AGAIN! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...!!!!

The only MH game I own is MH Freedom Unite for my psp. It's got a lot of content, but it's extremely outdated in terms of graphics and gameplay improvements that came with MH Tri, the game that came next. I got into the series when I played MH Tri on my friend's Wii. He lives out of town, and I don't happen to own a Wii.

So, Capcom needs to develop a MH game for Vita and ps3. That will really move those units. The Vita is practically designed to play MH and to augment that game's controls. Then they need to localize that game ASAP. I think at that point, everyone will shut up and be happy. But we know that will never happen because MH is an easy buck for Capcom. Why work any harder when you still sell millions of copies of a game that's outdated as all f*ck??

In short, it's a hopeless situation for a great and unique franchise that's dead in the US.

For reference, here is a list of the games, though it is missing Tri G. They've only localized 5 of those games, I think. The first on ps2, a remake of the first game on psp, the sequel on psp, MHFU on psp, and Tri on the Wii.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
hotlimit

Well, I wouldn't say Capcom messed up the series then, your beef is with their US publishing branch, and with Nintendo for region-locking their systems. That and with the American gaming public which never really gave them an incentive to bring more titles over (though it was pretty dumb of them to release the PS2 game here in the first place, I don't know a single American who ever took the PS2 online - even in the case of FFXI, everyone I know opted for the PC version).
Arbiter GUNDAM

I need to correct myself a bit. Some of the post-ROTJ games were good, like the ones with Kyle Katarn.

--Freyja Wion
hotlimit

Rogue Squad II for the GC was good, but I couldn't stand the Dark Forces series. Every stage was an increasingly un-intuitive maze of pixels, almost like they used a random level generator. It was like, "WOOO, this is Star Wars! So fun, lightsabers, thermal detonators!" And then... "OK, I'm tired of searching the same 2x2 mass of gray blocks for an exit with my little mouse droid for 3 hours".