Chaos Theater Mailbag Drop Box

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Saber

Re: Chaos Theater Mailbag Drop Box

Hello you two,

In the past you've been answering several questions in regards to the Star Wars Expanded Universe. Now, I don't want to start any sort of war on which "continuity" of Star Wars is supposed to be better, but you guys have never been too kind on the EU, saying that there was "a lot of crap" in it etc. Could you go into some more detail what stuff in particular about the EU you disliked, specific books or games that come to mind? Also, what parts of the EU did you actually like, and please, don't just say the Thrawn Trilogy because that's the standard answer everyone gives when they talk about good Star Wars novels.

Personally, I really like the novels set in the Old Republic, long before the movies, such as the Darth Bane trilogy, as well as stuff that happens after the movies. Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi were both pretty good series, with Crucible being a very nice way to end the EU story, even though some story strings were still left unresolved. I have yet to tackle the New Jedi Order series, which was a major part of the post-Episode VI EU with the galaxy-spanning Yuuzhan Vong War, but I'm still looking forward to getting onto that.

And just to add, technically the EU isn't dead yet, since Star Wars: The Old Republic is still running, though even I'm not sure that Bioware Austin did the game any favors with their Cataclysm-like game changer, Knights of the Fallen Empire.
Mu La Flaga

N/A mailbag entry moved down to bottom of the page.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
yazi88

Yo guys I got some questions to help fatten up the mailbag,

1. Do you guys think the FPS genre has over-saturated the market? From what I've seen it seems like the market and consumers are feeling the fatigue of Call of Duty and Battlefield games, I don't know about how the sales of current and newer FPS's are doing compared to older more famous titles.

2. Have either of you seen any Bollywood movies? Being Pakistani myself I've grown up watching Bollywood movies but now I'm sick of them. Bollywood seems even worse in creativity than Hollywood, about 90% of movies consist of boy meets girl, they flirt, dance, get in conflict, then hug each other and then credits... Good luck finding any movie that doesn't have a musical number or romance... Although I do recommend some very amusing comedies like 3 idiots and Munna Bhai which are critically well known movies and very funny.

3. This is a silly question, but if Kevin Smith were to make/direct a anime what would it be like? I'd imagine something like DETROIT METAL CITY, just with more weed.

4. Some thoughts on the DC shows on CW that ended this season? I found Arrow to be somewhat disappointing since season 3, but it could also be that the better writers have jumped onto The Flash show. Also your thoughts on Supergirl coming to CW and being part of the DC CW universe... confusing as it sounds...
Last edited by yazi88 on Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
YokozunaBulldozer

I LIKE TURTLES
1. Has Ninja Turtles ever affected your pizza comsumption in the good ol days?

2. If you guys were given the power to rename all four turtles what would they be?

3. Squirtle gang vs TMNT happens. Whose side are you on?
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
The Fowl Sorcerous

In the movie version of Guardians of the Galaxy how much of the Rocket and Groot character dynamic is a Han Solo/Chewbacca thing and how much of it is Rocket projecting his own internal dialogue onto Groot, especially in the '12% of plan' discussion?
[[lorem ipsum]]
Flame-X

Have you guys seen Mr. Robot?
zero_the_masked_knight

I believe that Kylo Ren's patricide in TFA is a legendary Star Wars and Cinematic moment: the modern equivalent of the "I am your Father" scene from TESB. Do you agree?
Seeing people for who they are; not who you think they are, not what you want them to be. Seeing someone unconditionally, without paranoia, without prejudice, without stereotypes, without fear...That's what "love" is.
"Love" is looking into a person's eyes and seeing a soul.
Saber

Any plans on reviving the Game Club for Telltale's Batman game?
MCTDread

As of late I've been in a Batman kick and wanted to know which of his comics you guys would recommend?

I already have

Haunted Knight
The Long Halloween
Dark Victory
Year One
Hush
Mu La Flaga

(Repost since Chris accidentally skipped my malbag entry and started at Yazi's entry)
Hey Gentlemanly Gangsters (GGs)

So there's been a few other movies that have come out this year.
I was curious if you plan to discuss them in upcoming episodes, if not feel free to give your thoughts on them if you've seen them.
(Since 2 of them your planing to discuss)

1.Dead Pool.
2.X-Men: Apocalypse.

My opinions on the movies are as follows in brief.
1.Dead Pool: Very good entertaining movie, the Dead Pool movie alot of us had been hoping to get for a while.
2.Mixed thoughts but mostly leaning towards good thoughts overall.

So there are mine, I look forward to the Captain America: Civil War episode guys.
Adios, from Mu.
YokozunaBulldozer

HELLO
1. If you were lost on a remote island which comedy manga/anime would you like to have until your undetermined rescue?

2. Which specific superhero costume from which era is timeless? Please pick one from DC and one from Marvel.

3. Straight Outta Mjolnir Lightning Round
A. Odinson - Jane Foster - Beta Ray Bill
B. Onigiri - Tempura - Dango
C. Arnold Schwarzenegger - Steven Seagal - Dolph Lungren
D. Steve Urkel - Joe Swanson - Mr. Wilson
E. Phoenix Ikki from Saint Seiya - Phoenix Wright from Ace Attorney - Paul Phoenix from Tekken
F. Freddie Mercury in Cromartie High - Keith David in Saints Row - Brad Pitt in Yakitate Japan
G. Driver's scorpion jacket from the movie Drive - Marty's 2015 jacket - Newman's mailman jacket
Naz

After listening to the New52 Batman episode, I was compelled to find out more about my favorite character, Red Hood. I stumbled upon "Red Hood/Arsenal" and really dig it, particularly, the light-hearted tone of the series and the banter between Jason and Roy.

1. Do you have any recommendations for Red Hood?

2. Which member or members of the Bat family do you think the general audience would receive well if they were to get the silver screen treatment.

3.Do you have any plan in the near future to invite Megan to discuss the recent superhero movies?

Keep up the good work gentlemen.
YokozunaBulldozer

EGADS! A CLUE!

1. What do you gents think is the reason Japanese mystery manga/anime/games protagonists such as Edogawa Conan and Phoenix Wright are apparent death magnets? It seems most of the time they have something happening around them rather than chasing after them.

2. Please pitch one out of the following below as an anime adaptation(you can go co-op or pitch individually):
a. Magnum P.I.
b. Carmen Sandiego
c. Nancy Drew
d. Hardy Boys
e. Dragnet
f. Get Smart
g. Austin Powers(YEAHHHH BABYYYYY....)
yazi88

1. Could Captain Tylor beat the Kobayashi-maru? Would it be a fluke/dumb luck scenario where he screws the computer like he did with his interview?

2. Have you guys seen Re:Zero Starting Life in another world? Its like a fantasy anime version of Groundhog's day with some elements of Higurashi thrown into it.

3. Given you guys like Shane Black and his movies, have you seen his recent movie The Nice Guys? I enjoyed it quite a bit. Also, are you looking forward to his upcoming The Predator movie?
MCTDread

With the success of the the Netflix Marvel shows which other character deserves his/her/it's own show?

Also, do you see the possibility of a Moon Knight Netflix show? I feel his schizo personality, origin story and gritty combat would be a perfect fit for Netflix.
The Fowl Sorcerous

A drunken time traveller offers you his time machine and device that gives people brain aneurysms; but it only works once and only on two historical figures. Who do you kill; Kaiser Wilhelm or Woodrow Wilson?
[[lorem ipsum]]
YokozunaBulldozer

STRAIGHT OUTTA BACKLOG
1. What is one random thing from your backlog of media that you want to see, hear, read, or play right away?

2. What do you regret not buying be it animation, comics, novels, movies, tv shows, games(could be vidya games or analog)?

3. Pitch us your pro-wrestling persona complete with finisher move.
yazi88

Now that its a new year its time for new questions!

1. What show(s) can you guys think of that appealed to the wrong target audience rather than the ones meant for? Invader Zim comes to mind for me, I believe it was meant for younger kids but it appealed to quite a older audience. I'm not including My Little Pony as example cause that did appeal to the audience it was meant for (little girls) but for some strange reason also clicked for much older men...

2. Given you guys have played older action RPGs, have you played any of the Y's games from Falcolm? I own a good number of them and it is one of the few long running RPGs that was brought over to steam by XSeed along with some of the Legend of Heroes games which I give them credit for doing so, cause I believe it helped or at least start pave the way for other western publishers to bring over more JP console games to Steam.

3. Would you guys watch a droid version Tango and Cash type of movie but with BB-8 and Chopper?

4. LIGHTNING ROUND:

C.C or Kallen
Ice Cream Sandwich or Klondike Bar
Kazuma Kiryu or Ryo Hazuki
Star Wars Holiday Special or Ewoks movies
Last edited by yazi88 on Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YokozunaBulldozer

HELLO
1. What are you hyped for the most about 2017? And would you ditch a Klondike bar for said hyped thing of 2017?

2. Which new genre from either anime/games/film/tv/comics/etc. would you like to try this year? It has to be something you have never gotten into at all before.

3. The three-way Lightning Round Which Is The Best ver. 2017
a. Stranger Things - Twin Peaks - Night Vale
b. Anti-Hulk - Diplomatic Hulk - Classic Hulk
c. Figma - Revoltech - Figuarts
d. Dragon Ball Super - Dragon Ball GT - Dragon Ball Z
e. Steve Rogers Cap - Sam Wilson Cap - Bucky Barnes Cap
f. Young Justice Season 3 - Twin Peaks Season 3 - Avengers 3: Rise of The Anti-Hulk
g. Al from Toy Story II - Dennis Nedry from Jurassic Park - Newman
MCTDread

Hey guys, what have your thoughts been thus far on the new Star Wars EU books and comics?

Also since Rogue One has been a success what other characters or stories do you see the Lucasfilm brain trust making a film of?