Chaos Theater Mailbag Drop Box

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Varnis

Re: Chaos Theater Mailbag Drop Box

Have you guys seen the joint Bandai Namco Games/Capcom/Sega 3DS game Project X Zone?

If so...how do you guys feel about these three companies bringing their gaming franchises together into one "Cluster-****" game and what potentials do you see in it?
What more can i say? That's the way things are!
animalia

my main reason for getting a DVD player was NOT higher video quality, but mainly the ability to save money on anime by not having to but two different video tapes, one for dub and one for sub, as DVD can switch between the two. The only real time i had a quality issue with VHS was when i paused them, and they would shake all around and have visual noise. Since the only reason to pause a vhs instead of stopping it was to try to get a closer look at a detail, the crappy VHS pause was a real pain in the ass.

In the end all I have to say is I am not a graphics whore, so long as fx are believable i tend to only care about characters and stories.
Dollow

Have you tried the Resident Evil 6 demo?
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
mobiusdiablo

Greetings, my overlords, I have questions for you.

What kinds of tropes, cliches, plot devices or even plots bug the hell out of you? Likewise, what are ones that you enjoy? This can be from anything, from books to games to shows.

Where are some of your favorite places to go and get a bite to eat down there?

Have you had, in any recent memory, had some just odd games go down? Also, have either you had the compulsion to build a deck around a card just by seeing said card? If so, how did they turn out? I ask for reasons in the following spoiler tag that need not be read if it's too long.
Spoiler
These two latter questions happened to me at once recently. I had seen on Gatherer a creature called Evershrike, a 2/2 flyer which got a +2/+2 boost for every Aura on it, as well as being able to resurrect itself and equip itself with an Aura at the same time. I wound up making a White/Green enchantment Spirit deck around it on a simulator and it actually worked quite nicely.

I helped a friend test out a few of his decks against this one, dubbed the "Auragod" since getting Evershrike out effectively sealed the deal on games, and then he built a Golem deck on the simulator out of the blue. I lost due to not being able to damage him thanks to him cloning his Platinum Emperions and he decked me out, but I went out with over two hundred life thanks to Evershrike and Celestial Mantle. I may have lost but damn if that wasn't a memorable game!
And finally, since I suspect these questions will be asked after it comes out, are you excited about the new Ravincia block? Have you gotten any cards from it yet?
Last edited by mobiusdiablo on Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Arbiter GUNDAM

(I know you already know, but...)

Can I ask you guys some things I always wanted to ask the Real Chris Guanche and the Real Pedro Cortes?

Bishoujo Shepard just happened. What sayest thou?

And since I'll ask this question on Gundamn, Pedro, have you seen the trailer for Macross FB7? If not, here it is, and what do you think?

And as much as I bet you guys are tired of M.E. questions, what do you think of the Collectors being in the new multiplayer DLC? Personally I feel that it cheapens my victory over them in ME2. Also, what do you think of the story of two of Bioware's bigwigs leaving the company? I hope it's not because of the trolls and if it is, I would have to say, "I hope you damn frakkin' trolls are proud of yourselves now."

You have spoken much of beer but what of ROOT beer? Do you like IBC? A&W? Barq's? Something else?
Last edited by Arbiter GUNDAM on Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Devil_Survivor
Location: Fat's Goodmen's base preparing for Fat's Counterattack

Hi Chris and Pedro, I have come to answer your call for questions. So let's get started!

1.I often hear the fanboys of each game system claim that their system of choice has best exclusives, being exclusive to that platform or a just a console exclusive. Which system has the best exclusives in your opinion?

2.Have you heard of the youtube game reviewer\news castor ReviewTechUSA? I watch his videos a lot and he very even handed and usually calls it the middle.

3.Have you heard of the game industry analyst Micheal Pacther? He is kinda famous for predicting a number of systems would fail, but he is usually wrong and widely reviled by the game community.

4.Has your opinion of Wii U changed any with the recent developments?

Cheers,
Devil
This movie has a beginning, a middle, a end, and explosions.... and is not a giant blow job to the U.S. military. -Chris, on Transformers 3.
angelwingzero

Got a Doctor Who question for you guys. Matt Smith has proven to be a pretty cool Doctor, but he'll have to regenerate eventually. What type of Doctor would you like him to regenerate into? Black Doctor? Female Doctor? You can choose and combination of race and sex to match the actor/actress you'd like to take over as the Doctor.
"So he's wearing an all black pilot suit and you put him in the CRAZY MACHINE. In the mental state that he's already in, does that seem like a good idea?" - My favorite Chris quote.
Destiny_Gundam

Geeze you guys beg for more questions but then complain when I give plenty of material to tide you over. Such ingrates :lol:

At least my many, but concisely worded, questions are better than a certain some one's tendency to ramble on when only asking one or two ;)

1.) Total Eclipse: favourite character, TSF, and BETA strain. For me it's Yui, the Terminator, and the Destroyer Class.

2.) What do you think of the Man of Steel teaser? I'm a bit cautious because the tone of it is obviously trying to piggy back on the Dark Knight saga's success (even the title choice reflects that). Scruffy dock worker Clark Kent? Hitchhiker Clark Kent? Seriously? Though I wish they'd at least done what Begins did and not re-use villains. Not really looking forward to Zod again (would love Brainiac).

Still, I know you love Batman and don't really care for Superman, so would you prefer a Superman that was more like Batman?

3.) Internet advertisements: a necessary evil, certainly. However I wonder about their effectiveness. When you see the same ad keep interrupting your streaming video, isn't that more likely to piss people off and make them not want to buy your product?

Have you ever gotten something because you clicked on an ad? I have my current Koodo plan thanks to one and I got into an anime style MMO called Elsword because I liked the designs I saw in an ad.

4.) Do you listen to the radio at all? If so, what kind of stations? Are there any bands/songs that immediately make you want to tear your ears off when they come on? Hard mode: no Nickleback.

The radio always plays where I work but most of the time they only have crappy stations that play the same 10 songs repeatedly during the day. You'd think there'd be enough music in the world to go one day without repeating one. Worst of all is when that damn Kings of Leon song or any Train song comes on.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Mu La Flaga

Hey Chris and Pedro.
Time for a new mailbag letter in your digital inbox :P

So I want to keep this post not overly long(if I can help it)
I have heard the multi-system argument in the past and can understand it,
I recently got in to quite a discussion about it, when say due to money, space, power board limitations ect you can only really pick one system instead of opting for both.
For myself the choice I made was PS3 and there quite a few reasons I chose it over 360.

So if you want the TL DR version, if you had to narrow it down to chose a system over the other would you have always stuck with PS3 over 360?
And what benefits do you see of PS3 over 360 and vice versa?
I know there is the whole 360 vs PS3 fanboy war, but don't have to delve in to that.

That is it guys, thanks for reading and keep up the show.

PS: snipe at Peter, speak of the concise irony take a glance at your own post, four or fourteen keep that in mind ;) :P (I stick to 2-3 max nowadays)
Destiny_Gundam

Hey, you started it.

So, more questions! (See what I'm doing here?)

1.) Pedro, taking what you know of Chris's personality, if he was a character in a story, what role would he have? The hero? The villain? The random deck crew member? The drunk in the bar? And so forth.

Chris, same question, names reversed.

Judging myself, I would definitely be a Soul Bro's man.

2.) Being the dashing young chaps that you are you obviously have no problems with the ladies. Do you have any advice for us nerds who are likely to die virgins at this rate?

3.) On a related note, do you think there is an age when it stops being okay to be a virgin?

4.) How have your families reacted to your hobbies? I know Pedro enjoys watching TV with his mother, but what of your other interests? Have they been supportive, weirded out, apathetic, etc? My family's been pretty cool about it. They don't hesitate to show company my room littered with posters and figurines and my dad was willing to make the 4 hour trip with me to see Evangelion 2.0 in theatres. I also managed to convert my youngest brother too.
mobiusdiablo

More questions for both of you!

As both of you seem to be fans of zombie stories, what is your Zombie Plan for the day that they overtake us? Or are you just gonna wing it? :P

Second, from the Hatercast episode - is Jaquote a Soul Bro's Man, and if so, where does he rank? I don't care if I spelled his name wrong, I can't be bothered to look up the name of such a useless character.

Keep it coming guys :P
Last edited by mobiusdiablo on Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Destiny_Gundam

1.) What would you consider to be the crown jewel of your figurine collection? For me it's either my 1/6 Sakura from Fate/Stay Night or my 1/7 Saint Kaiser Vivio from Nanoha (which Tomopop even did a review of). Both are pretty large scaled and insanely detailed. Best of all I got them at huge discounts!

2.) What shipping method do you usually go for when ordering stuff? Lately I’ve started using EMS for figures. Usually costs $12-$20 but it arrives in a few days, versus SMS that takes 3 weeks. I’m never using UPS again, though. They charged forty-six dollars at the door. That’s just ridiculous!

3.) Are there any old shows that not even the strongest of nostalgia goggles can make watchable for you? I used to love the 90’s Spider-man cartoon growing up but now I can’t stand it. The dialogue, it never stops!

4.) Did you experience any entertainment related trauma when you were a kid? I have Mainframe Entertainment to thank for all of mine: the roar of the Web Creature in Reboot haunted my nightmares, as did Bob getting shot into The Web, Optimus Primal’s first death, Air Razor and Tigertron getting shot into space… The latter three were particularly mind breaking since at the time I had thought my beloved heroes would always come out on top.
Turn-A Binker

I recently listened again to the Batman: The Animated Series episode, and the part where you guys didn't know what happened to the Joker after Mask of the Phantasm, and you related it to that to the timeless setting of the show. Well, there is an actual answer to what happened: like many other animated shows, there have been comic book tie-ins. For Batman: The Animated Series, it's tie-in was called "Batman Adventures" (later "Batman & Robin Adventures") and there was an annual called "Shadow of the Phantasm;" serving as an official follow-up to the film, written by Paul Dini. While I won't reveal the story, just in case you guys want to find and read it; the prologue features what happened to Andrea and the Joker: after Andrea and the Joker disappear as the World's Fair explodes; they are in the sewers beneath where Andrea prepares to kill a knocked out Joker, but after remembring Batman's words "What will vengenace solve?", she pauses only for the explosions from the walls to throw her off, and the Joker laughs and escapes as he is sucked down one of the tunnels. Regardless of him still being alive, Andrea considers her revenge over. Probably not what you expected, but at least you got your answer if you were wondering.

PS, in case you didn't know, there is a great "ultimate" DC Animated site, called World's Finest Online. Check it out if you haven't:
http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/main.php

Any spotlight plans for Batman: The Brave and the Bold, the Star Wars films, the Metal Gear Solid series, or the Batman Arkham games?

Speaking of the Star Wars films; if and when you have kids (or if you already do), how would you show the films to them; in production order, or in chronological order? Because either one would affect someone's first time POV on Darth Vader (tragic villain, or badass villain with a twist).

And finally, Judge Dredd: do you see the new Dredd film, and what did you think about it? Plus, the comics; have you read anything from them, and any episode discussion ideas?
Last edited by Turn-A Binker on Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
Destiny_Gundam

1.) Before you said the journey is more important than the destination, but some destinations do make the journey worthless. What are some endings that totally ruined a series for you? A big one for me was Toradora’s ending. I was a little disappointed, but still okay, with them going the most predictable route, but the way they did it was such an ass pull that it wrecked everything.

2.) What makes a perfect ending for you? Is it one where everything is resolved but you wish there was more, or one where you think there shouldn’t be more? I lean towards the latter because if I don’t want more then that solidifies that feeling of completeness.

3.) I’m sure you two aren’t much on shipping, but there must be a few couples you really rooted for, or two characters you felt would go nicely together even if they ended up with other people. I kind of fell out of it due to bad experiences with a certain fandom, but not long ago Koichi/Mei from Another and Amata/Mikono from Aquarion Evol relit that spark in me.

4.) Pedro, I need your objective outsider's opinion on this: In pairing Chris and Neo together, who would be the seme and who would be the uke? :P
mobiusdiablo

Lightning Round the 8th...?

Dystopian or utopian?

Swords or guns?

Black or white?

CoD or Battlefield?

Zakrello or Juagg?

Federation or Zeon?

Tales of... or Dragon Quest?

And finally...

GIRADO SPRIGGAN or HOWARDO MASON?
From 00 S2 ep 25

The Loser Villain

Hi guys! Long time listener, first time mailer.

1. Chris, I know you've mentioned that you drink tea ("Earl Grey hot"). I was curious: what brand of tea do you liked the best? Does it depend on the blend? When it comes to Earl Grey I'm a fan of Twinings.

2. Have you ever noticed soundtracks from movies and TV shows ending up in other movies and TV shows? Example: There is a track from "Drive" that is in the opening scene of "Game of Thrones" (Or the other way around). Are there any examples you have for this?
"Kamille, if it wasn't for you...." Jerid's last words

"You bastard... You don't get it! I'm... I'm special! I'm famous! I'm the king of mock battles!" Patrick
mobiusdiablo

As an addendum to Loser Villain's question - have you ever had tea Yang style? And if so, how was it?

And speaking of alcohol - you both seem to have quite the fondness for Sam Adams. What about his 'friends,' Captain Morgan and Jack Daniels? :P

Keep up the show, guys!
From 00 S2 ep 25

JHuddle

Hi guys, I loved the last ep, are those stories a comic , or manga ? also you guys need a hater commentary on those resident evil films, or star trek Nemesis. Also how do you guys feel about hellsing ultimate, will it be reviewed at some point?
haro_meister

Hello Guys,

first question: do you guys play monster hunter? if you do, what are your thoughts. if you havent, do you have plans of playing it?

second: do you guys watch Sword Art Online? any chance of it being discussed in the future?

last one: have you guys played the rpg called Catherine available on PS3 and XBOX?
Last edited by haro_meister on Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mu La Flaga

Hey Chris and Pedro.
Going to try and keep this short and simple as possible, just 2 questions for you guys.

1.After having the seen the movie "Dredd" recently and having answered one of my suggestions for potential movie reviews previously,
are either of you familliar with AD2000 Comic series itself?
Since the first movie in terms of the costume's looks was pretty much spot on, the new Dredd movie is much better though, would recommend it if you plan to see it.

2.Harkening back to my arcade gaming related questions.
What are your opinions on "Bullet Hell" side scrolling games probably one of the best examples out there is the Metal Slug series, also Contra would be another.

That is it guys, look forward to more episode topics to come this year and next year.