Chaos Theater Mailbag Drop Box

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
kayone73

Re: Chaos Theater Mailbag Drop Box

Dear Chris & Pedro

Are you guys looking forward to Ridley Scott's Prometheus as much as the rest of internetdom? I've been following this pretty closely since the initial teaser trailers last year and some of the clever promotional vids like the Fictional TED talk from 2083 starring Guy Pearce as Weyland. What did you think of the previous movies in the franchise, including the highly debated pts 3 & 4?

Also Chris especially will appreciate this having caught up on eps of Community, but here's a fan made mashup of the Prometheus trailer using all Community clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgHFL3eW4nY
mobiusdiablo

As both of you seem to have been in and out of Magic these last few years and played it mostly in the old era when it was still young, what do you think of the new cards and abilities that populate the current game? Do you like where Wizards are taking the game, boldly experimenting with new game mechanics, or do you find their ideas, like the double-sided cards in Innistrad gimmicks?

As an afterthought, since both of you are more seasoned players than I, I'd like to ask your thoughts on going about and building a tri-color or multi-color deck. I know that in the MTG episode, both of you stated that you tend to stay with one or two colors, but I'd assume you've gotten to that point through getting a feel for what you like. Personally, I like being able to have an answer to nearly, if not every scenario in my deck, which usually results in a overly sized, unwieldy stack of cards, and I am very reluctant on the idea with staying within one color or worse, one specific type of creature in a single color.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Shinigam_Newtype

Hey there Chris and Pedro,

I have two questions this time.

1) Being reviewers of anime, I've always wondered what both of your methods for reviewing were. I'm assuming you both watch the episode once through to get an initial impression upon which you will base your review on, but then do you go on ahead and watch a 2nd time and write the review simultaneously? Or do you wait a few days and allow your thoughts on the episode seep in a little before writing the review? Similarly, I've seen that Chris's reviews go into extensive detail on the episode's content. Do you pause the show every few seconds or so and then write what happened, or is your memory just that expansive?

2) A somewhat personal question now. Where do you both point to on the political compass? By this I mean do you sway to the left or the right on the political spectrum?
And in general what are your thoughts on the Republican nominees, and the race in general? This will of course in no way affect my already diminishing opinions of you both, im just curious.

Once again, keep up the great work.
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080
mobiusdiablo

Chris, with the announcement of the Elder Scrolls MMO game out, what are your initial thoughts on the subject? Granted, this is kinda early to guess and hypothesize, but I know some people would be against it and some for it - which side of the fence do you land on? How do you hope it will play, if you're interested in the prospect?

In my personal experience, I'll be prepared for disappointment, since I'm not a PC gamer in the slightest, and most MMOs have left me somewhat jaded of the genre, not to mention the sheer scale that the project could turn out to be. Despite that, hopefully it won't turn out like what happened with Turn A and never actually happen.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
The Fowl Sorcerous

lightning round the 4th:

Tolkein or Asimov?
Resident Evil or Silent Hill?
Ale or Lager?
trolls or fanboys?
facebook or google plus?
x-men or avengers?
cookies or brownies?
christmas or halloween?
Bond or Bourne?
pancakes or waffles?
[[lorem ipsum]]
Arbiter GUNDAM

Greatest Pedro,

what do you think of Toonami coming back?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Naz

Hey Chris and Pedro,

Thank you so much for introducing me to Tiger and Bunny, I love the series so much, and cannot wait for its 2 movies to come out. One thing about the show that really stick out for me is the design of the characters and the armors. I didn't think of it too much except that they are nice and strangely familiar, well.. I got my curiosity answered recent, when I went to wikipedia and searched for Masakazu Katsura, out of the whim.

And holy cow, "Tiger and Bunny" was in the list of his works. So immediately I thought to myself "no freaking wonder why the armors and the girls look so familiar".

Anyway, just wanna share that information with you guys in case you didn't know that already, keep up the good work.

Naz
gundamtype0

Hi Chris and Pedro

I was wondering if either of you have played Deus Ex: Human Revolution? If you have, what are your opinions on it? To me, it feels like a Ghost in the Shell RPG. Very cyberpunk and very dystopian.

Keep up the good work!
Mu La Flaga

Hey Chris and Pedro.
Going to keep this short and simple down to 2 and not huge elaborations.

1.What was your first RPG game you played?, was it good or bad or average?

My first was the SNES title "Mystic Quest" for a first game wasn't too bad and I still rather enjoy it.
Hated the ending of "I've saved the world now I'm going to sail the world instead of spend time with Phoebe or Kaeli"

2.And this one is a little more interesting, what would be an example of a great RPG you both individually enjoyed and one that was downright horrid or you just hated?(for whatever reason)

Also just to note you guys can't re-use Chrono Trigger.

I myself haven't found anything particularly bad, nor found my best RPG yet, I've got a pile to get through games wise, not to mention, want to save my opinion after more experiences.

That is all guys, look forward to your answers and thanks as always.

PS: Speaking of the aforementioned, pile I made something of a start with Chrono Trigger and rather enjoy it(PAL region countries, never got the SNES version here)
Currently up to the point in the past, after going to the future and getting Robo.
I rather like Robo and Marle quite a bit thus far and I will post more in future as time goes on with it.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Hello, gentlemen.

1. Why is it that in anime, violence against males seems to be the default reaction in a scene? Even if the situation is accidental or only mildly awkward, the male 'perpetrator' is always beaten in a 'comical' manner. I don't find this funny, and I don't think I've ever met anyone who thought it was funny. The audience just seems to think, "Hey, she's kind of a c*nt." (See FullMetal Panic!)

I remember once reading a rant from John of animenation.net where he was going off the handle about a comedy show where a female character was in love with the ass-hole male lead, and actually liked that he beat her with a bat. (Really, she looks unhurt and was all lovey-dovey about it.) John said violence against women can never be funny or used in comedy, but why is it fair for violence against males to be okay? Turn the situation around, and you have a comedy show where the male character is in love with some c*nt who bashes him in the face with a kendo sword everyday, and it's fine. There have been hundreds of shows like that.

Seriously, wtf?

2. What are your thoughts on pre-ordering games?

I have always been iffy about it. I really want to support the ZOE HD release coming this Fall, but I do not want to place a pre-order, because something about it never sat right with me. I don't like giving my information to those gold-digging whores at Gamestop or Amazon or wherever, and I don't like how it feels they are trying their damnedest to profit off of something they didn't produce. I don't like being treated like a sheep with them dangling pre-order bonuses above our noses just so they can guarantee their sales. Also, it seems pretty cowardly how game publishers will base their decisions off of pre-order statistics and pull out if things look rough. It just causes the consumers to suffer later on. I'm planning on just picking up the game in person at launch, but what do you think I should do?

Also, thank god for the official announcement of the ZOE sequel.

3. What is your advice to the audience this week?

4. Dilemma: would you rather be kicked in the chest by a giraffe or get a blowjob from a rabid grizzly bear?

Thanks. =o
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
mobiusdiablo

I've been on an older anime marathon recently, plowing through Macross and UC Gundam as of late. I never thought of it the first time I watched the latter, but after coming off of Macross, and watching things like Zeta the second time as well as Macross Plus and Outlaw Star which came later... I think I can finally understand what you all talk about by older animation having it's charm. Having been a 90's kid, I only got into anime knowingly well after shows like these had been buried by the sands (or tears) of time. Thus I have been geared to like cell-shaded animation over traditionally drawn ones, with very few exceptions, until this epiphany. Some of the OVAs don't seem to have aged more than a couple years, despite now being decades old.

So my question to both of you is, did either of you have this sort of revelation, that cell-shaded animation isn't as cracked up as it was to be during your viewings, or have both of you been die-hard supporters of hand-drawn shows and never lost sight of how good they could be? And as a bonus question, now that I 'see the light', what other well-animated hand-drawn shows would your recommend (doesn't have to be mecha, hence why I'm asking here instead of Gundamn)?
From 00 S2 ep 25

bertman4

Cool news about digital avatars mirroring the user in real time.
http://www.diginfo.tv/v/12-0107-r-en.php
yazi88

Have you guys ever played Demon's Souls and its even harder spiritual sequel Dark Souls? If so what are your opinions of both games? Have you enjoyed the kind of old school style real time gameplay and difficulty? Or are you one of many frustrated gamers who can't stand a game that doesn't hold your hand and tell you what to do every step of the way. Do you guys prefer Sky Rim over these games or do you think its a unfair comparison. I personally prefer Demon's Souls and Dark Souls over Sky Rim.
The Fowl Sorcerous

lightning round the 5th:

simpsons or futurama?
pixar or dreamworks?
santa claus or the easter bunny?
batman or superman?
Gibson or Stephenson?
Devil May Cry or Bayonetta?
metal gear solid or thief?
chocolate or vanilla?
[[lorem ipsum]]
Mekton GM

Three questions for you guys (more specifically two for Pedro and one for both of you since the first two have been answered by Chris on Gundamn)

Are you a fan of Japanese Kaiju films like Godzilla and Gamera? If yes any particular movies or eras of movies?

Second question, have you ever played any table top role-playing games like Dungeons and Dragons or Pathfinder?

Third question, what are your opinions on creative games like Minecraft or the lesser known Kerbal Space Program (http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/)?
The Great great great great great great great great grandfather of HOWARD MASON!!!!!!
Xbox Live Gamertag: Anubis214
Destiny_Gundam

1.) So next year my favourite literary hero will be making his way to the silver screen. Jack Reacher is an ex-MP who wanders the country, getting into trouble and killin' bad guys. He's a 6'5", 250 lbs mountain of a man, so naturally he'll be played by Tom Cruise.

I know it's impossible to completely match the image of a character the reader forms in their minds, but it's like they weren't even trying!

What are some other horrible miscasts in adaptations you can think of?

2.) On the other hand, are there any adaptations you felt got the casting just perfect?

3.) Speaking of Tom Cruise, he's one of those actors who you can't see as their character, you can only see them as themselves. What are some others like that to you?

4.) There have been a lot of long running mangas that have ended/are going to end recently. Negima, Air Gear, Bleach, and Naruto to name a few. So the question is: how does it feel knowing that either you or Oda will die before One Piece ends and you'll never know the answers to the series' mysteries?

5.) Shows like Shikabane Hime and Sankarea feature zombie girls of the non-rotting flesh variety. This raises the most pressing question of all: Is it okay to fap?

6.) Pedro, you said that Pedobear was a title that others gave you. What is the story behind how that came to be? I don't remember how I became known as pedobear. Chris, do you remember?

7.) What is your favourite version of Batman? I kind of tire of his excessively dark nature so I liked how he was in The Batman. While he was still badass, he wasn't a total stick in the mud and looked like he geniunely enjoyed himself as Bruce Wayne rather than it being just a front.

8.) What do you think of Superman? A lot of people like to dismiss him as being over powered or boringly invincible and while I see where they're coming from I can't bring myself to not like the guy. He's certainly more admirable than Batman (fights crime because it's the right thing to do, not because of revenge) and it feels like hating on Superman would be hating on everything good that he stands for. When it comes to saving the planet from Darkseid or Doomsday or what have you, Superman is definitely the one most suited to the task.

9.) The War of 1812: Did it happen? Did it not? Was it a misunderstanding? I've known Americans to deny it, accept it, and one even said that America went to the northern colonies to only offer their help but were attacked in response. Just wondering how you viewed Canada handing America's ass to them (even though it was mostly the British army who did it).

10.) Chris, your love of big breasts has been well documented. But who are some flat chest girls you like?
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Devil_Survivor
Location: Fat's Goodmen's base preparing for Fat's Counterattack

Hey Chris and Pedro!

I got some questions for you yet again and most are video game related.

1.What's your opinion of the 3DS performance after a year and a half? Do you think the library is getting better overall?

2.What is behind the relative lackluster sales of the PS Vita up to now in your opinion?

3.I guess this is just for Pedro because Chris already answered it on Gundamn ep.104, but what is your view on the Wii U so far?

4.Nintendo just hired a former Disney executive to run their online operations. I understand he ran Disney online operations which is well run and conceived, so do you think this will help the online aspects of Nintendo's consoles?

5.Pedro, Neo had some disparaging remarks for you after you went off the on the Shat a number of episodes ago, I was wondering what is your response?

6.Do you guys think Neo has tendency to defend talentless hacks like Sir Bay, the Shat, and Guntank, similar to how Soul Bro defends weak will losers?
This movie has a beginning, a middle, a end, and explosions.... and is not a giant blow job to the U.S. military. -Chris, on Transformers 3.
Mu La Flaga

Hey Chris and Pedro.
Just got 2 mailbag entries, responses, no questions.
(Sorry about the length in advance)

Way back in episode 4 in response to the Goldeneye mailbag related question,
ok I want to clear up some small things and make my opinion come across a little more clearer so hear me out.

When I said "both" I refer to the original Nintendo 64 and the DS remake version.
Now I will say when I prefer the Nintendo 64 over the DS.

Aiming with the stick is easier then the touch screen interface and D-Pad input of the DS,
not to mention it's a smaller screen, trying to do that on the DS was not as good.

Also sometimes damage takes enemies more then 1-2 direct hit to kill them which doesn't seem right.

And also Activision, need I say F#ing more as to why?

In response to the Digital Downloads and BC, back in episode 25.
I forgot to raise the point which when I typed it up was an issue for some regions and some it isn't.

When I mentioned the PS3 having limited BC,
Some regions DID have limited compatibility with PS2 games.
As in Australia's case, even original models did not have full compatibility with PS2 games.

Where as in the US you guys had that, we just got emulation instead of the chips.
(It's on wikipedia if want to read it up)

If never heard of the PSP E-1000 then there is a good example of something bad compared to the US.
Shitty screen, mono sound speakers and no Wi-Fi to say the least.
Sony Europe cost cutting, yay! *sarcasm*

That is all guys and hey, I'm low on questions so just making replies.
Got to the keep the mailbag pile, piled up.
Keep up the entertaining Podcast.

PS: Pedro is your phone rigged to a self destruct voice or something?, it has an infamous ringtone it seems.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Fowl Sorcerous

lightning round the 6th:

Yoko Kanno or Yuki Kajiura?
porshe or ferrari?
ps2 or snes?
T or A?
coffee or tea?
marvel or dc?
pokemon or digimon?
one piece or dragonball?
babylon 5 or ds9?
free will or determinism?
consequentialism or deontolgy?
friday the 13th or nightmare on elm street?
[[lorem ipsum]]
Proteus

Dear Chris and Pedro,

1. Are you guys a fan of the horror genre? Which styles do you prefer; zombies and undead (Western horror) or spirits and ghosts (Asian horror)? Western horror seems to be more action oriented and emphasize on visual scare tactics like hideously disfigured ugly looking monsters while Asian horror seems to be more psychological and tend to emphasize on the surrounding environment (invoking stuff like claustrophobia, etc), what is your take on the 2 different styles?

2. Do you guys prefer playing horror games or watching horror movies? Personally I prefer playing since its easier to immerse yourself in the environment/situation when controlling a character as oppose to watching a character goes the situation.

3. What is some of the scariest games/movies that you had ever played/watch? For me, I dont watch much horror movies so I have no comment on that. In terms of games, the Fatal Frame series is at the top of the list. It still haunts me till this day and I had occasional nightmares bout it.

4. What do you guys think bout the development of recent horror genre titles particularly for games? Does it bother you that the trend is shifting towards more action oriented kill'em'all?

Thanks guys and keep up the good work.