Ep. 137 - The Raid: Jaburo

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 137 - The Raid: Jaburo

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 137 - "The Raid: Jaburo"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 176 min., 40 sec. (2:56:40) - 80.9 MB

Episode Summary:
We enter uncharted waters as the White Base finally arrives at Jaburo in Gundam The Origin Vol. 4! Then, we take a look at several of the mecha-themed video games coming out this year!

Join the Conversation about this episode @ Gundamn.net!

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "Neo's News/The Hopers & Dreamers Corner/The Old Timey Drama Hour"
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:46:55

02. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:46:55 - 0:47:29

03. "Gihren's Ambition" by Garma Strikes!
Runtime: 0:47:29 - 0:50:39

04.1st Segment: "Manga Spotlight - 'Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin' Vol. 4"
Runtime: 0:50:39 - 1:25:35

05. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:25:35 - 1:26:03

06. "WSBR's 'Judau & the Junkyard Kids!'" (Commercial?)
Runtime: 1:26:03 - 1:26:52

07. 2nd Segment: "Upcoming Mecha Games of 2014!"
Runtime: 1:26:52 - 2:09:43

08. Second Opinion Games (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:09:43 - 2:10:43

09. SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:10:43 - 2:11:34

10. Outro: "Closing/Shoutouts!/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:11:34 - 2:56:40

Ask Gundamn or Leave a message:
Call the MAHQ Google Voice Line @ 305-792-8324 and leave a question (or message) that's no longer than 4 minutes. Make sure that at the beginning you leave your NAME specify that your message is for "GUNDAMN! @ MAHQ" also! We're looking forward to hearing from the Gundamnation and answering your voicemails!

Feedback & Social Networking:
- E-Mail: GundamnMAHQ(NoSpam)@gmail.com
- Twitter: @MAHQDotNet / @GundamnAtMAHQ / @CTCast
- MAHQ Facebook Group
- Forums: MechaTalk.net / Gundamn! @ MechaTalk.net
- Voicemail Hotline: 305-792-8324

Subscribe & Download Gundamn! @ MAHQ
- Main RSS Feed
- Gundamn! @ iTunes
- Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://feeds.feedburner.com/Gundamn
- YouTube: Gundamn! @ MAHQ / Chaos Theater / Shinjuku Station / ShinStation Fight Tube

Gundamn! @ MAHQ is a MAHQ & Shinjuku Station Joint
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Shinjuku Station Podcasting - Previous Episodes - Chaos Theater - Fighters Ready! - Level Nine - ShinStation Fight Tube! - ShinStation Live!

Many thanks for listening!
@SoulBroRyu
[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
yazi88

Re: Ep. 137 - The Raid: Jaburo

Just as a reply to my mailbag question, Macross Zero has YET to be featured in a SRW game, unless you count ACE R but that really isn't a SRW game, hell it barely functions like a ACE game...

Volume 4 of the Origin also had the best comedic scene yet, the massive dog pile of the Federation top officers, including Revil, because of the Benny Hill chase of the 3 brats.
Destiny_Gundam

I was going to get Titan Fall, but then I learned there's no single player mode. Multi-player is no fun since I'm a filthy casual. Every 5 seconds I'd get killed by players who sink 100 hours into the thing.

And I use Blade Runner because it's the only thing I can think of that actually has a ton of different versions of it, 7 compared to Evangelion's 2. Yet I don't hear anyone ragging on it for that. There's plenty of things to make fun of Evangelion for. You don't need to make up a non-existant issue.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
yazi88

I don't know about that, I thought the regular TV show of Evangelion was re-released more than twice.
Destiny_Gundam

A re-release is different from rewriting/remaking/recutting something. You do have the director's cut versions of 20-24, yeah, but it's not like the whole show was ever modified to a significant degree prior to the movies.
YokozunaBulldozer

Captain,

I don't think you have to lose an eye and smoke cigars. You CAN probably get a shield and wear a RED WHITE and BLUE costume with the words "DEATH 2 ROBUTTS". And LOTS of pouches chock full of EMP.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Crestborne

It was a Bulbasaur, you foolish fool >:3
MAHQ's Official Resident Brony
Co-Host - Ex Vs The Gundamnation w/ Soulbro
Wheel Of Doom Stream - Monday 7pm EST
twitch.tv/powerborne
RX Prime

I would also like mention something about Gundam: The Origin Vol. 4. After the dog-piled Zakus/Zeon troops were surrounded by GMs, General Revil said, "The game is over! No needless killing. What arms we can seize may come in handy" (pg. 451). But then in pg. 470-471, the GMs killed them all, even though the Zeons surrendered. I took it as another example of the Federation's a-holiness.
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:And I use Blade Runner because it's the only thing I can think of that actually has a ton of different versions of it, 7 compared to Evangelion's 2. Yet I don't hear anyone ragging on it for that. There's plenty of things to make fun of Evangelion for. You don't need to make up a non-existant issue.
And you need to stop bringing up irrelevant examples. Do you even know WHY there are multiple versions of Blade Runner? Because I honestly suspect that you have no idea what you're talking about when you keep mentioning it.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Destiny_Gundam

Oh, so we care about facts now? The matter is simply there are so many versions of Blade Runner that I can't watch the movie because I don't know which version I should see. A comment that was directed at Evangelion before.

Anyways, you're the one who brought it up this time, not me. Soulbro sounded confused as to why I'd use that example, and so I explained. I'd have ignored Neo's comment otherwise.
Chris
Administrator

The difference is that when it comes to Evangelion, we've seen it and we know what we're talking about. You just need to stop mentioning something that you're pulling out of nowhere. You don't have to agree with our criticism, but we're not going to stop saying something just because you keep bringing up some lame example.
Destiny_Gundam

Well, you should really stop saying it because it's factually inaccurate. Not to mention you're beating a dead horse.
yazi88

Let's all relax now, I personally think that Evangelion, unlike Blade Runner, has had multiple re-imaginings of the same story in more than one form of media in the forms of games, manga, novels and alternate endings of the TV show and now movie.

Blade Runner has had 7 releases with a couple of added scenes but not anything that is beating a dead horse over and over again, plus its been over 30 years for that.

I don't think that the Gundamn crew are making fun of just the re-releases for Evangelion, but also the multiple retellings of (mostly) the same story with the same characters. It would be a different matter if there was a sequel/alternate version with different characters like Gundam but alas...

I think you are being a bit strong here against blade runner and getting worked up for what seems like a running gag from the Gundamn crew Destiny Gundam, remember episode 100?
Last edited by yazi88 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Well, you should really stop saying it because it's factually inaccurate. Not to mention you're beating a dead horse.
Sorry, but you insisting something is inaccurate doesn't make it so. Count up all the releases of the TV series (including the re-edited versions of eps 21-24), all the different versions of Death & Rebirth and End of Evangelion, plus all the incremental re-releases of the new movies. That's WAY more than Blade Runner, which has only ever had THREE official versions released in the U.S. over the span of 25 years. And all of those are included on the Final Cut, which is the version you should watch, for the record.
Destiny_Gundam

Okay, I see where the misunderstanding is. We're not talking about re-releases here (there are indeed plenty of those). When this first started, that might have been what this was about, but over time it mutated into accusing Evangelion of having a lot of retellings (which is not true). Retelling as in telling the same story in a different way. Rebuild 1 and 2 are definitely retellings of episodes 1-19 and you can say End of Evangelion was a retelling of episodes 25-26. So that's 2 partial retellings. Nothing to write home about.

I bring Blade Runner into this because it's a single story told in 7 different ways. This is only to highlight how you don't seem to hold that against the film.

A more appropriate dig would be "Hey, there's a new Evangelion box set coming out. It's exactly the same as the previous box sets, but this one has a shiny sticker!"
yazi88

The problem with Evangelion is that the retelling is not limited to animated works alone, it also has many, many retellings in games, manga, novel, etc. Blade Runner was just ONE film with some altered scenes, not really anything to warrant a complete retelling of.
Destiny_Gundam

That stuff doesn't really count. Even if the did, only the main manga adaptation retells the TV series. All the others do their own thing.
yazi88

The Anima Novel doesn't count either?

Maybe we should let this matter go...

Let's not get worked up about this like its something relating to Destiny, plus no one is hating on Eva either, just some jokes here and there. I'm gonna watch the rebuild movies as soon as the last one comes out so I can watch them all right after one another.

Plus Destiny Gundam you should save your energy for Prince of Darkness, you definitely need it for THAT.
Destiny_Gundam

Anima is a sequel or something, isn't it?
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:I bring Blade Runner into this because it's a single story told in 7 different ways. This is only to highlight how you don't seem to hold that against the film.

A more appropriate dig would be "Hey, there's a new Evangelion box set coming out. It's exactly the same as the previous box sets, but this one has a shiny sticker!"
I don't hold it against the film because again, you don't know what you're talking about having not seen it. The aren't seven different ways the story is told. There are versions with different footage included and some junk like forced voiceovers due to studio interference. There's a European version simply because of different distribution, which is completely common. There's a director's/final cut because those are supposed to be Ridley Scott's unadulterated vision of what the film is supposed to be. So you see, bringing up this movie constantly just because of a raw number is irrelevant and inaccurate. If you're going to use something in a discussion to make your point, you should at least have watched it and know what you're talking about.