Mailbag Drop Box Mk II

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Cultclassic

Re: Mailbag Drop Box Mk II

Hey Gundamn Crew,

Ever since the tournament started in Gundam Boyfriend I have heard nonstop about how good the fights are. Do you think the uncoupling of pilot and mecha in build fighters has allowed for more brutal combat?
fearjunkee

Neo, it's time for you and Jabman025 to settle things once and for all. I propose a chess boxing match between you and The Defender of Destiny to end your feud. If you win, then Jabman must abandon his title and duty of The Defender of Destiny. If Jabman wins, then you must say one nice thing about Gundam SEED Destiny every episode.
Furious Rodimus

If you could trade characters from one Gundam show to another, who would you trade and why? Who would you trade between franchises? Are there some shows you would trade away multiple bad characters to get one good character, or are there shows you would punish with more bad characters while saving the good characters etc, etc.
It's the stronger who create the weaker!

I am the (Color) (Object/Natural Element), Ace of (Organization) Fear Me!
Redstang65

It is the future and Gundamn has become the biggest podcast in history. However this does not mean you are making the big bucks. You investigate why you're so famous and poor and find out it is because gundamns main listener base is hipsters who listen to you ironically. How would this effect the future of the podcast? Would you sell out to appease them in the futile hopes of fortune (remember hipsters have no money) or go insane?
Redstang65

Gundam the movie having spent years in development hell has finally entered production and Michel bay is brought in as a last minute director. The story follows the main points of the original show closely and is very respectful but a more American centric cast has been selected contracts signed and cannot be changed by Sir Bay. In midst of a writer strike you are hired to do small modifications to the script for this cast because you are considered the for most experts in gundamn and you work for cheap. How would you rewrite the most iconic scenes such as the birght slap occur with
1- Amuro Ray- Arnold Schwarzenegger
2- Cpt. Bright- Samuel L. Jackson
3- Sayla- Megan fox
4- Char- Danny Devito
5- Fraw- the dog from air bud

And finally in the most controversial change Kio is added to UC and is played by Macually Culkin. How will you save the movie?

To raise the stakes and make sure you do your best, this movie has to be a big hit or the evil secret robot over lords will kill you 3.
fearjunkee

I just watched Bernie's Lament, can someone direct me to the nearest therapist?

Also, if you were given the chance to write a full-length Gundam series, what would the 'elevator pitch' for your series be?

Now, excuse me while I eat a burger to spite Bernie.
YokozunaBulldozer

HELLO
1. If you guys were given the title The Meijin which word do you add to your gunpla to make sure people recognize? Amazing and Imagine are banned.

2. If Iori Takeshi is the Magnum P.I. Of Gunpla would Reiji and Sei be the Dukes a.k.a. The Build Fighters of Hazzard?

3. Who would win? Asurada and Hayato, KITT and Michael, or Heat Vision and Jack?

4. In a tire-wearing and sports equipment wearing future world where entertainment is scarce which mecha musical would you watch?
1. Bits
2. Side 7 Story
3. A Streetcar named Dique
4. Romary and Zeheart
5. My Fair Lady Une
6. Meijin Kawaguchi and the Amazing Airbrushed Exia
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Robolizard222

Hello, GUNDAMN THREE. A certain amount of silliness started on the Facebook page got me curious. If another production studio some how got there hands on Gundam who do you think could make an interesting/brilliant/ridiculous Gundam? Points are given by the other hosts to ideas that are ludicrous or awesome. Sadly those points don't matter like all the hopes and dreams. My idea would be Disney. Why? Cause why not?
People ask me if I'm a cat or a dog person. I'm actually a dog person. They taste better.
Silver_August

Originally I was going to pose the theory that the Hopers and Dreamers Corner was a devious plot constructed by Soul Bro in order to crush Chris and Neo's will, leaving them unable to resist when the robot invasion happens. however after witnessing the spectacular destruction of Hopers and Dreamers, clearly that isn't the case,, if anything its the opposite, minus the robot invaders.

So here's another question, aimed specifically as Neo.

Is the film 'The Iron Giant' a Robo-Propaganda film designed to make humanity sympathize with the robots? That, and it gives the subtle reminder that even if you destroy them, they can and will repair themselves indefinitely.

Do the tomes make mention of this, or shall a new entry be made?
Last edited by Silver_August on Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Furious Rodimus

If the Gundam Build Fighters universe served as Valhalla for all Gundam universes, who would you allow in, and which characters would you deny? Are there any characters we have seen in cameos who do not deserve entrance into Gundam Valhalla?
It's the stronger who create the weaker!

I am the (Color) (Object/Natural Element), Ace of (Organization) Fear Me!
YokozunaBulldozer

HELLO
1. Which lab would be the first to get a warning for violating safety regulations in the Dynamic World of Go Nagai? Saotome Laboratories where the Getters are or Photon Power Laboratory where the Mazingers are? By the way, the inspector is from the future, and his name is Violence Jack.

2. Which mecha pilot Harry Kim'd the most?

3. If America had the brave series instead of beast wars which would you have liked to see other than Gaogaigar?
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
fearjunkee

It's a Friday night and you're headed on down to the Gundam Bar! Which Gundam characters will be your drinking buddy, your designated driver, the drunk guy you get into a bar brawl with, and the girl you take home at closing time?
kayone73

Hello Gentlemens

So Gundam Best Friend has ended and I found it one of the most enjoyable series in the franchise, if not one of the great ones. It's pretty clear by the final ep that the show is about Sei's shounen anime style hero's journey as he is a much different kid from when he started out. Reiji on the other hand, hardly changes at all as a character and while he learns things along the way and develops a love for Gunpla Battle, but he really doesn't grow as a person and is still that sincere, earnest, hot blooded blockhead from start to finish. Instead, his character's role seems to be a catalyst for all the 'earth based' characters in the show, helping them to grow and be better people than when they started.

Reiji reminds me of another lead character from another mecha show discussed in an earlier Gundamn podcast, Basara from Macross 7. He's also another character that never really grows or changes through the course of the story yet he affects and influences the rest of the main cast around him.

Can you think of leads in other anime, or non-animated shows in general who serve as more character catalysts rather than a someone who goes thru a personal growth journey (i.e. the character we identify with and root for)?
Turn-A Binker

Random question, then again aren't all these questions random?
Anyway, Gundam has been known for, alot of things sure, but also for the evolution of humans in its story. However, I often wondered if these shows still would've worked if that element wasn't present. For example, the Universal Century has Newtypes, but if they weren't in 0079, Zeta, ZZ, CCA and Unicorn, would those series still have worked? Those series still presented the political conflict between those living on Earth and space, even with Char in CCA, so maybe you could see it without the discussion of Newtypes, but would you agree with me? And the same question applies to Gundam X, SEED/Destiny, and Gundam 00. What do you think?
kayone73

Another question for Gundamn three:

As a guy who grew up watching anime & animation in general in the late 70s and 80s, all the newer anime series lately have started to look all the same, wether its character designs, art style, really clean, slick CG animation or whatever. I'm having trouble distinguishing a lot of new shows which give off the vibe of being insanely over produced much like many of our current no-talent pop stars. Basically lack of talent & quality covered with a thick veneer of slick technology.

It takes a very unique show to stand out to me these days. So is this just grumpy generational gap talking or are lot of newer shows just looking slick, substanceless and highly derivative?
YokozunaBulldozer

HELLO
1. Which fairy tale would be a great basis for a mecha show?
Think something along the lines of The Town Musicians of Bremen being a super robot show where the rooster, cat, dog, and donkey form into a Dancouga ripoff.

2. Would you agree that Japanese live-action Spider-man secretly killed Kraven the Hunter and took the Leopardon robot as a souvenir?

Spidey with a gun
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dayman

Now that MAHQ has been around for 14 years now, I was wondering what's the most ridiculous/entertaining Gundam rumor you've come across. The genesis for this question resulted in me seeing people constantly claiming that Tomino originally was going to have Kamille fill in for Gyunei's role in Char's Counterattack as a cyber Newtype dedicated to helping Char but of course there's never a source to back this up.
raijinz

Hello again Gundamn Meisters! Raijinz here with a couple more questions for you enterprising, intrepid and defiant trio!

Question 1:
To all 3: If you had a kid, what shows would you pick to introduce them to Mecha Anime? You can go from age 0-5 and from 6-10. As an extra, would your choices change depending on whether they were a boy or girl?

Question 2:
For Neo, what is the origin of your choice of the name "Neo Lorrnoke" as your internet callsign/handle? Does it have anything to do with a certain Gundam Seed Destiny character of the same name?

Thanks again as usual guys, keep up the good work!

PS
Loved your episode reviews of Build Fighters!
////////////////
A Bright-slap is too good for you!!
PSN: roytecx
YokozunaBulldozer

HELLO
1. If Tom Selleck went to Japan's biggest fan convention Comic Market, or Comiket, holding a Gouf toy or model kit, how many people do you think will mistake him as a hyperreal Ramba Ral Cosplayer? Also, which Hollywood celeb do you guys think will be mistaken as a hyperreal cosplayer of which character if they ever visited?

2. Give us the name of your dream yacht. My assumption for Neo's is Moonlight Butterfly and Soul Bro's S.S. Emma.

p.s Thomas Magnum for governor
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:48 am, edited 5 times in total.
Dayman

Imagine if you will a scenario when King Arthur finally comes into power and unleashes his wrath on the world. Chris and Neo are captured (Soul Bro is spared of course). You are faced with two choices for your punishment for doubting his wasted potential; you either go to Moon Moon with Katz, Shinta and Qum, and Doan's kids or you have to marathon all of Destiny with jabman.
Please note that suicide is not an option.