Ep. 128 - Cancelling the Apocalypse

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 128 - Cancelling the Apocalypse

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 128 - "Cancelling the Apocalypse"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 166 min., 26 sec. (2:46:26) - 76.2 MB

Join the Conversation about this episode @ Gundamn.net!

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "Neo's News"
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:33:40

02. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:33:40 - 0:34:14

03. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:34:14 - 0:34:42

04. 1st Segment: "Cinema Spotlight - 'Pacific Rim" (Movie, 2013)
Runtime: 0:34:42 - 1:24:15

05. Second Opinion Games (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:24:15 - 1:25:15

06. SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:25:15 - 1:26:04

07. 2nd Segment: "Anime Spotlight - 'Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet'" (Anime TV Series, 2013)
Runtime: 1:26:04 - 2:04:33

08. I Thought They Smelled Bad on the Outside (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:04:33 - 2:05:24

09. "WSBR's 'Judau & the Junkyard Kids!'" (Commercial?)
Runtime: 2:05:24 - 2:06:13

10. Outro: "Closing/The Gundamn Mailbag!/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:06:13 - 2:46:26

A Double Dose of Reviews featuring the Apocalypse-Cancelling Motion Picture, "Pacific Rim" and the Production I.G.'s take on Waterworld, "Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet"!

Also, don't forget to participate in Gundamn Fan Chat! Organized by NastyNate, there are several ways that you can let him know that you want to be a part of the next session:

- Participate in the Gundamn Fan Chat Thread @ Mechatalk.net!
- Become a part of the MAHQ Facebook Group!

Make sure to peep their latest pow-wow below!
- Ep. 001 - Favorite Mecha Anime Relationships (The Premiere Episode!)
- Ep. 002 - Top 5 Mecha Final Battles (Feat. Soul Bro Ryu)
- Ep. 003 - Favorite Gundamn Moments and Top 3 MSV
- Ep. 004 - Top 3 Anime that made us the fans we are/Top 5 Grunt Suits

Want to ask us a question that could be played during a future episode? Call the MAHQ Google Voice Line @ 305-792-8324 and leave a question (or message) that's no longer than 4 minutes. Make sure that at the beginning you leave your NAME specify that your message is for "GUNDAMN! @ MAHQ" also! We're looking forward to hearing from the Gundamnation and answering your voicemails!

Peep these Podcasts & Videos also!:
- Chaos Theater: Sp. 003 - Hatercast feat. Austin Blake & Neo Lorrnoke! (Mechatalk Thread)
- Fighters Ready!: Ep. 006 - Open the Game! feat. Samantha Marchello & Scott Wachter of RPGamer.com! (FightersReady.net Thread)
- Shinjuku Station Fight Tube: Video Review - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Anime TV Series - Ep. 001 - "Dio the Destroyer"

Want to have your Gundamn-centric works featured in the next episode? Then, send in your creative entries for the next "Gundamnation Spotlight" to [email protected]!

Many thanks for listening!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Previous Episodes - Chaos Theater - Chaos Theater @ Mechatalk Forum - Laplace's Box - Fighters Ready! - Level Nine - @MAHQDotNet - @GundamnAtMAHQ - Digg - Facebook group - Spill - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube! - Shinjuku Station At The Movies - MichaelBay.com: The Official Domain of His Bayness

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://feeds.feedburner.com/Gundamn

[email protected]

Voicemail Hotline: 305-792-8324
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
jcncasval76

Re: Ep. 128 - Cancelling the Apocalypse

For someone who have watched the likes of Ultraman, Super Sentai, and Godzilla movies, Pacific Rim reminds of the combination of all of those series. While I would have to wait until BluRay comes out, I hope they would add just a few scenes alongside the movie to add into the scope of the movie.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
yazi88

I think I've heard something about over 30 minutes being cut to condense the film to over 90 minutes. There will definitely be blu-ray extras.
YokozunaBulldozer

I am glad you guys enjoyed the Kou traumatized by carrots carved in the visage of Gato and Nina bit. Also, it feels good to see that someone agrees with my Obari + Araki collabo idea. (I have been on a Stardust Crusader fever during the time I wrote that post and its still strong now that I have begun reading the darn story arc).

I still have not finished Gargantia yet but judging by what I have seen so far it feels wierd as the tone of the show feels nothing like Urobuchi's majority of work.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
phillosmaster

I had heard the talks of a Pacific Rim sequel. I do hope that sees the light of day, but more so I was hoping they'd do more stuff like Tales From Year Zero so we can see more stories about other Jaegers and their pilots.

I had so much fun watching Pacific Rim, and I was ready for it to be a terrible film. Those trailers really didn't do the movie any favors.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
Furious Rodimus

It's always funny to listen to people complain because something is "too similar" to something else and then complain when it is "too different." Seriously, what do they want? It seems like they'd be happier just re-watching their old DVDs of their favorite shows.
It's the stronger who create the weaker!

I am the (Color) (Object/Natural Element), Ace of (Organization) Fear Me!
tHeWasTeDYouTh

One of the reason there are different military ranks in Pacific Rim is because the director doesn't like the military so he made stuff like Marshall and Ranger instead of normal stuff like Captain

he said it in an interview, I really don't care

movie was damn amazing
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
NastyNate

I just fired up this episode. I have been really looking forward to your Pacific Rim Review! I was really sceptical about this movie but I saw it twice. I'll probably post again after I listen to the episode!
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
zero_the_masked_knight

I watched the movie with my Mother. She also mentioned that the movie reminded her of ID4, with Monsters instead of Aliens. Of course, we both enjoyed the movie.

If there will be a sequel, I hope it'll still be by Del Toro, and that whatever studio handling the property gives him the free reign that he needs. As much as we all love this movie, the reality is that it isn't doing really well as we like (If I understand This Site correctly). The Studio owning Pacific Rim might...."intervene" too much in the sequel and step on whoever's in charge to make it appeal to a broader audience...and we all know how well that works, right?

I see Mako and Raleigh as a couple, but I like how the movie was subtle about it. Their relationship could be platonic, or romantic. Either way, it's great.
Seeing people for who they are; not who you think they are, not what you want them to be. Seeing someone unconditionally, without paranoia, without prejudice, without stereotypes, without fear...That's what "love" is.
"Love" is looking into a person's eyes and seeing a soul.
Silver_August

Am I the only one that thinks the Russian Robot was partly inspired by Rock'em Sock'em Robots? when it did that punch move during its...1 fight, that was the FIRST thing that popped into my mind.

I'm kind of surprised none of the Gundamn! Crew caught that or atleast made mention of it.

...Or Hellboy! He was awesome in this movie and easily my favorite character.

And to anyone who says this is ripping off EVA I'd also wanna add...ontop of the crew's comments - is that really a bad thing? We're never gonna get an EVA movie and for a movie to play homage to it, isn't that something to find cool? Least I found the winks to EVA cool...then again I'm only cynical towards the illinformed, but alas, an Eva movie wouldn't be nearly as fun anyways, lol
muppetgundam

Props for tossing in a Here is Greenwood clip. I love that show.
Am I a Muppet, or am I a Gundam?
If I'm a Gundam, that makes me a Muppet of a Gundam.
Vent Noir

I would be okay at being changed from "HiMat Spammer" to "Evil Australian".
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

jcncasval76 wrote:For someone who have watched the likes of Ultraman, Super Sentai, and Godzilla movies, Pacific Rim reminds of the combination of all of those series. While I would have to wait until BluRay comes out, I hope they would add just a few scenes alongside the movie to add into the scope of the movie.

I agree, because I grew up with those films. But in someway, I wouldn't seeing a version with men in rubber suits.
Furious Rodimus wrote:It's always funny to listen to people complain because something is "too similar" to something else and then complain when it is "too different." Seriously, what do they want? It seems like they'd be happier just re-watching their old DVDs of their favorite shows.
Well, that's what Internet has brought us, complainers and people who think they're more important that they are.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
jcncasval76

hawk of endymion wrote:
jcncasval76 wrote:For someone who have watched the likes of Ultraman, Super Sentai, and Godzilla movies, Pacific Rim reminds of the combination of all of those series. While I would have to wait until BluRay comes out, I hope they would add just a few scenes alongside the movie to add into the scope of the movie.

I agree, because I grew up with those films. But in someway, I wouldn't seeing a version with men in rubber suits.
Furious Rodimus wrote:It's always funny to listen to people complain because something is "too similar" to something else and then complain when it is "too different." Seriously, what do they want? It seems like they'd be happier just re-watching their old DVDs of their favorite shows.
Well, that's what Internet has brought us, complainers and people who think they're more important that they are.
Is it just me or did I hear somebody's been breathing onto the mics? BTW, if Sir Bay ever wants to touch MD Geist as his next film, I would like to suggest for him NOT to do the following: go to the original material and invent his own version. Otherwise, "Rest In Piece" for Sir Bay's movie career.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
Destiny_Gundam

Not only has Wallace been found, but he's recieved a few upgrades too.

When my dad first saw the trailer for Pacific Rim, he told me it reminded him of Evangelion (basically the fighting monsters with robots thing). In his defense, the Eva movies are the only mecha anime he's seen.

In the first place I don't really get the whole "rip off" argument. I mean, I love Eva, so why wouldn't I love something that's exactly like it?
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Wellman

Loved the movie, I grew up loving old school Godzilla movies, heck I even found enjoyment of some of the more recent ones that dropped in the late 90s and early 00s, including the American Godzilla movie featuring something that wasn't Godzilla. I can almost say this is probably one of the best if not the best giant monster threatens the world movie I've see not named Destroy all Monsters.

Aside from the bit with the liquid in their helmets, I never got the Eva comparisons but I did see the ones with Independence Day. I'm surprised and disappointed it didn't do better in the US, thankfully, it seems to be doing well enough in other countries that a sequel isn't off the table.
bullethead

About the Gargantia dance scene - no one had problems with Ledo's sexual awakening, the problem was that aside from Ledo, Pinion, and Bellows, none of the guys watching were in their age range. Seeing a bunch of 15 year old scantily-clad girls dance in front of guys 15-20+ years older than them (in a grungy looking bar, no less), sets off red flags for some people.
Chris
Administrator

bullethead wrote:About the Gargantia dance scene - no one had problems with Ledo's sexual awakening, the problem was that aside from Ledo, Pinion, and Bellows, none of the guys watching were in their age range. Seeing a bunch of 15 year old scantily-clad girls dance in front of guys 15-20+ years older than them (in a grungy looking bar, no less), sets off red flags for some people.
Please explain who is "some people" and what these "red flags" are.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Arbiter GUNDAM

Eh, I can kinda see it but there's two things:

1. Moe's a thing, why should anyone be surprised?

2. It's a Post-Apocalyptic world, the people of Gargantia probably have different views on age of consent than we do. Plus, Amy's one friend is a lot more well-endowed than any 15-year-old I've ever met. :o
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion