Ep. 115 - Gundamn!...Into Darkness

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Chavelo

Re: Ep. 115 - Gundamn!...Into Darkness

I agree with you guys on the subject of hopers and dreamers. Particularly that they all hope. But do very little to help the franchise. However I will say that before I heard it on the podcast. I didn't know about Gundam Origin manga being released until I heard it on the podcast. And my Gundam friends, who I've been RPing gundam with for 7 years, they didn't know either. So we're obviously not as connected with the anime and manga news as other fans.

I'm gonna try to scrape the coin together to order the manga. Try to get my friends to get it too. But I will say that Gundam Age, took the last bit of faith I had in bandai/sunrise with Gundam, and shet all over it. After 00 rekindled it. Compared to Seed and Destiny that at least had some good moments amid bad ideas and production. Age is just Gundam by the numbers written by a execs or something. : /
The Fowl Sorcerous

soo chris, mind if repeat that rant of your verbatim at the start of the anime north gundam panels, next year? some of those guys need it.
[[lorem ipsum]]
Chris
Administrator

The Fowl Sorcerous wrote:soo chris, mind if repeat that rant of your verbatim at the start of the anime north gundam panels, next year? some of those guys need it.
Sure, but I won't be held responsible for any mass suicides that occur as a result of their unprepared minds being broken by reality. :twisted:
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
bertman4

Well said, Chris, well said.
OrionsGambit

When did the angry fanboys take over MAHQ? "There have only been 4,000 pre-orders of Origin!", "it should have been triple that!". Talk about hoping and dreaming. The idea that a written publication of a niche product in a niche industry was somehow going to be "super successful!" is laughable at best and hilariously sad at worst. Either way I get a good laugh.

I've purchased all Gundam-related products concerning the animation series, recently bought the MSG novel, and not only pre-ordered the first Origin novel, but the second as well. I enjoy what I have the privilege of receiving by the masters over in Japan and I ignore the fanboyism that hopes and dreams for the universe to be their's.

However the forum and Facebook ranting of the "realists" sounds just as idiotic as the petitions and clamoring of the "idealists". All you've accomplished is dropping to their level and sounding just as much like angry fanboys as the people you're stoning. Remember to step out of your glass houses before you chuck the rock.

The hypocrisy of hate that's been written aside, I'm going to go listen to what was actually voiced. Things tend to sound different than how they read.
Chris
Administrator

OrionsGambit wrote:When did the angry fanboys take over MAHQ? "There have only been 4,000 pre-orders of Origin!", "it should have been triple that!". Talk about hoping and dreaming. The idea that a written publication of a niche product in a niche industry was somehow going to be "super successful!" is laughable at best and hilariously sad at worst. Either way I get a good laugh.

I've purchased all Gundam-related products concerning the animation series, recently bought the MSG novel, and not only pre-ordered the first Origin novel, but the second as well. I enjoy what I have the privilege of receiving by the masters over in Japan and I ignore the fanboyism that hopes and dreams for the universe to be their's.

However the forum and Facebook ranting of the "realists" sounds just as idiotic as the petitions and clamoring of the "idealists". All you've accomplished is dropping to their level and sounding just as much like angry fanboys as the people you're stoning. Remember to step out of your glass houses before you chuck the rock.

The hypocrisy of hate that's been written aside, I'm going to go listen to what was actually voiced. Things tend to sound different than how they read.
You're missing the point here. I never expected Origin to be a big seller. I'm saying that if the Gundam community was as big and powerful as hopers and dreamers claim it is, it should have gotten much more than it did. That it didn't proves my point, which is that the community exaggerates its size and importance.

You're also throwing out false equivalencies here. How am I or anyone who bases their expectations on reality the same as people stuck in some fantasy world? If you're the same person making this argument on Facebook, please explain. Yes, I'm tired of this type of behavior and let it all out because it needed to be said. That in no way makes me the same as people who complain about Sonic games, Dante, Bioshock cover art or anything that ruffles their feathers at any given second. You're making a big mistake in comparing the two, and again, it's a false equivalency.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

OrionsGambit wrote:When did the angry fanboys take over MAHQ? "There have only been 4,000 pre-orders of Origin!", "it should have been triple that!". Talk about hoping and dreaming. The idea that a written publication of a niche product in a niche industry was somehow going to be "super successful!" is laughable at best and hilariously sad at worst. Either way I get a good laugh.

Wow, could you be more of a pretentious d-bag? I know you're trying act more enlighten than everyone else, but your comments show all you're doing is self promoting.

You make the comment you haven't actually heard Chris' comments, so maybe you should before commenting. You should've learned in your master's classes to get all the facts before forming an opinion.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
hotlimit

yazi88 wrote:Damn, I remember how bad Escaflowne was, I never did and never will forgive Fox kids for that.

Although Cardcaptor Sakura was aired on WB but that itself didn't make itself any different from Escaflowne cause it was also very chopped up on WB but at least the music was not as screwed as Escaflowne was.
The worst part about Escaflowne is that they straight-up cancelled it. As a kid I didn't know the difference between an edited show and the original, but I sure as hell knew when something I liked disappeared from the airwaves never to be seen again.
LawnDart

I went out and pre-ordered the 2nd volume of Origin after listening to this episode/reading these comments. Had not realized it was out.
mobiusdiablo

Chris wrote:
The Fowl Sorcerous wrote:soo chris, mind if repeat that rant of your verbatim at the start of the anime north gundam panels, next year? some of those guys need it.
Sure, but I won't be held responsible for any mass suicides that occur as a result of their unprepared minds being broken by reality. :twisted:
Ooooooooooor, you can ask the people at Anime North to go and have Chris be part of said panel. I'm obviously candylanding it, but hey, amusing thought.

To throw my two cents in the STE, I'm behind you Chris, and I know how you feel despite me having much less experience than you. One of the reasons I do love this show is that all of you aren't afraid to beat around the bush and acknowledge the truth of the current state of affairs - WHILE still having expectations and hopes and dreams for your own.

Personally, I'll admit it - I haven't preordered Origin. I never said I would either. Yes I am a little interested in it, but right now it's not at my top priority. And I can see other people having a similar approach, but FOUR THOUSAND. Just FOUR THOUSAND customers. Let's do some hard and loose math:

4000 preorders * 20 dollars/copy = $80,000.

That's the money they're getting from their first release as of right now, without factoring in production costs, advertising, shipping, etc. That's ABYSMAL. And considering the law of diminishing returns, that's even worse. Now I'm MORE hesitant about buying Origin because of it winding up like my Ecole du Ciel collection - always unfinished.

Chris is on point with his accusation about Gundam fans, and I'd say to a greater extent, anime fans in general. And I'm also sick and tired of people who talk the talk but can't walk the walk, thinking if they delude themselves and others enough, then everything will be happy happy joy joy.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
tHeWasTeDYouTh

Ryōsuke Takahashi directed BLUE GENDER and GASARAKI

I love those shows, I am going to look around for Galient because I want some proto Haman ginger(Haman is purple)

as for the Hope and Dream war going on here I will become MAHQ Switzerland and remain neutral

(edit, had not seen the second half of the episode about edits)

HOLY CRAP I remember watching Escaflowne on Fox Kids with my dad and he loved that stuff, the medieval mechs

alright, so my dad bought the Escaflowne VHS and that WAS NOT EDITED and we start watching the episode in which Zaibach invades Fanelia and there is a ton of blood and gore all over. He was like don't tell your mom
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Arbiter GUNDAM

tHeWasTeDYouTh wrote:He was like don't tell your mom
That's awesome, man. :)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Mu La Flaga

Hm let's see, Panzer World Gallient/Galliant sounds like an interesting series, but haven't seen it.

And thank you Chris for making use of my topic and all the points of edits in mecha anime series over the course of the years.
For Vehicle Voltron since I've seen it and Lion entirely.
There is some rather funny examples of deaths that are like.
"Oh he escaped!"

Hazzar in a previous episode had rocks thrown at him during a trip to his homeworld the dub tried to pass it off as rotten tomatoes, but they were obviously rocks and injured him when they hit him 1-2 times.

There was a hillarious edits where a Drule ship got cut in half and they try to explain somehow hopefully he escaped that when the whole ship exploded soon after.

But hearing the others in detail is good know to know.
The Fowl Sorcerous

hotlimit wrote: The worst part about Escaflowne is that they straight-up cancelled it. As a kid I didn't know the difference between an edited show and the original, but I sure as hell knew when something I liked disappeared from the airwaves never to be seen again.
but just think about what they would have had to do to get the big reveal for dilandau on the air...
[[lorem ipsum]]
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Mu La Flaga wrote:
And thank you Chris for making use of my topic and all the points of edits in mecha anime series over the course of the years.
Um, me and Soul Bro were involved in selecting your topic too, Chris isn't the overlord of Gundamn.

Wait till the robot rebellion, I will let Australia get assimilated.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

NastyNate

On the section of editing. I actually emailed cartoon network and I asked them if I could buy the toonami edited version of Gundam Wing without the curse words. :P This was 2007 I believe, so they said no they don't have that version printed anymore. Cool how they emailed me back.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Mu La Flaga

hawk of endymion wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote:
Um, me and Soul Bro were involved in selecting your topic too, Chris isn't the overlord of Gundamn.

Wait till the robot rebellion, I will let Australia get assimilated.
Aw come on Neo don't be like that, shouldn't you be searching for Waldo right now?
And anyway ok correction, thanks to the Gundamn trio for selecting that topic then.
hawk of endymion

Mu La Flaga wrote: Aw come on Neo don't be like that, shouldn't you be searching for Waldo right now?

Is that Australian humor?

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Mu La Flaga

It is your eternal question to find the answer to, where is he?
He could even be here in Australia, but apparently he's known as Wally (yeah we got different name)
Which when you come across "Odlaw" his evil twin, it doesn't make much sense :P
hawk of endymion

Mu La Flaga wrote:It is your eternal question to find the answer to, where is he?
He could even be here in Australia, but apparently he's known as Wally (yeah we got different name)
Which when you come across "Odlaw" his evil twin, it doesn't make much sense :P
No, my eternal question is when will the robots attack?

And wouldn't Waldo in Australia be known as......prisoner 0386-9275-237?

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]