Gundamn! Mailbag Drop Box

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Momaru

Re: Gundamn! Mailbag Drop Box

Hi youze guyz!

Recently I watched Five Star Stories. What do you three think about that OVA? Does Ladios erm... confuse you with his androgynous beauty (Poor Voards!)? I rather enjoyed the Anime and the rather genius casting of Ryo Horikawa (Lohengramm,Vegita) as Ladios Sopp. I think Chris may of mentioned why no other episodes were made was because Nagano was unsatisfied with the adaptation and led to the nearly single handed endeavor of Gothicmade.
Tell me why, at this turning point in our history, must we fight amongst each other and further pollute the earth?
- Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
animalia

Are there any plans to talk about the Magic Knight Rayearth mangas and animes?
NastyNate

Did you fellows see the new clip for 08th Ms Team? What did you guys think. I think it is pretty cool, but it's lame how many shots the zeon get on the gundam and it does not die. Yet one shot with the same type weapon kills them in one shot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1z6VjNV ... C685BF3B70
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Mu La Flaga

Hey Gundamn team.
Going to try and keep this shorter and simple if possible.
After your discussion in episode 115 on Editing/censorship in mecha anime,
I actually did think of one other small block of mecha anime,
which was on at the time Soul Bro or Chris might be familliar with.
Jim Terry's Force Five block which adapted these various shows.

Starvenges aka Getter Robo G
Grendizer aka UFO Robot Grandizer
Dangard Ace
And the original Gaiking

I have only seen 1 VHS tape of 3 episodes of Grendizer, it didn't seem heavily editted(then again I haven't seen the original Grandizer)
There were small name changes for instance Duke Fleed is named Johnny/Orion Quest and Kouji is named Lance.
So have you guys had any experience with it?
That is all gentlemen, later, from Mu.
YokozunaBulldozer

HELLO!

1. Think of one secret trauma that one mecha pilot of your choice would have but was never revealed in the show they starred in. One example would be Kou Uraki having to eat carrots carved in the visage of Gato and Nina during his incarceration.

2. What are some unseen collaborations would you guys like to see within the mecha genre in terms of creators? An example would be Toriyama being the lead character designer for a new show while Tomino takes the director role. I personally think Obari Masami teaming up with Araki Hirohiko of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure fame will be awesome giving birth to one of the most narcisstic looking mecha show ever.

3. Time for a little bit of hating for you three gents. Which mecha would you protest against and show so much hate like never before complete with angry protestors, rotten foods, pitchforks, and for what reason?

P.s. Jackie Gudelhian was the All-American racer who later formed a racing team with Heinel in the Cyberformula OVAs making sure Heinel's creations crash and burn during almost every race. I probably would too considering he is the only one on the race circuit driving a superspeed motorcycle with training wheels on the sides amongst a legion of racecars.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
animalia

I just finshed watching Gundam age and I wanted to add some thougts.

1) Despite Kio talking about how people should be able to understand each other he never actually tries to understand anyone. Otherwise he could point out stuff like how when one's country has people dying by the truckload it is stupid to not try to negotiate a peace with your enemy, and instead focus on revenge.

2) I think a lot of the plot could have been resolved if the series had been longer/less rushed. some examples:

2a) One line of Zehart's in the penultimate episode about "If my cause is no good then what have I spent all this time fighting for?" COULD mean that the reason he went along with Ezelcant's madness is because to not do so he would have to admit that he had wasted all of his life up to that point. But other then that one line we never get any sign of that being the reason.

2b) The scene where Flit finally put aside his vengeance should have been handled differently. While his hatred remains he should still acknowledge the fact that his vengeful actions are for Himself and NOT for the people he failed to protect. And this then leads to him realizing that to either fire the missile or let the Vagan civilians die would make him the same as the people he hates. Flit would then save the Vagans, not because he forgives them but because it is the right thing to do.

In case you haven't guessed by now I think that unlike the federation in gundam seed who are supposed to be unsympathetic by design. The vagans are clearly supposed to be sypathetic but as you pointed out the execution is lacking. Hence why I am making some of the points I am.

2c) I think that Asemu's and Zehart's final fight should have been longer. That way we can have it be established that while Asemu has become a much better pilot, Zehart's far superior suit makes them essentially equal. With Zehart's mental breakdown giving Asemu a slight edge that he can slowly take advantage of and use to win the fight. The fight being longer would help insure there is enough time to show that Asemu gets a chance to show us how far his skills have come and just why he is a super pilot.

sorry about the length I wanted to get this all down at once.
Shinigam_Newtype

This isn't a question, just a comment.

Soul Bro seems to get a lot of jabs from the other hosts of GUNDAMN! and as it would seem, a few listeners. I realise these comments are in jest but I just think it's important for him to remember he has AT LEAST one listener who enjoys his input and quick sense of humour, and let me add that you're by far my favourite host. Keep up the excellent editing!

Only SBR should read the comment below.

I've done what you asked Soul Bro, now please let my kittens go.
Last edited by Shinigam_Newtype on Mon May 13, 2013 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080
Gundam420

Given the design of his uniform, do you think it's possible that Captain Otto was once a Titans officer?

This one is for Soul Bro: Which is your favorite of the Megaman and Megaman X series?

Is it just me or do the mecha designs in Advance of Zeta feel really out of place in the era of Universal Century that it's set in? I'm not saying they're bad designs, but alot of them look like they belong in a completely different universe. Do you guys feel this way about any other mobile suits?

This one is for Neo: Which mecha pilot do you think could potentially be a star in Michael Bay's next film?

What are the most surprising instances of voice actors being cast in certain roles for you? For me, it was finding out that Gai from Gaogaigar and Angelo Sauper from Unicorn both share the same voice actor, Michael Sinterniklaas.

What are your thoughts on the mech designs of Valvrave?

I keep hearing about how in the novel the Turn A is more broken than it already was. Abilities include its moonlight butterfly at full power being able to extend from the Earth to Jupiter, it can teleport anywhere, it can warp beam shots (like into a mobile suit cockpit), etc. Is there any truth or evidence to this seeing as how the novels will never be officially translated?
Last edited by Gundam420 on Wed May 22, 2013 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PSN: (Japan Account) gundaminator
animalia

This might be a dumb question, are if those do not exist this might at least be pretty damn close, but is the reason for the Australians = criminals joke the fact that Australia was originally founded as a penal colony for debtors?
Vent Noir

animalia wrote:This might be a dumb question, are if those do not exist this might at least be pretty damn close, but is the reason for the Australians = criminals joke the fact that Australia was originally founded as a penal colony for debtors?
Not just debtors. Transportation was the punishment for a wide range of crimes, ranging from petty theft to highway robbery and murder.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Mekton GM

Candy land question for you guys.

After reading the Tomino Gundam novel trilogy I was wondering what western authors would you have write a Gundam Novel and what would it be about?
The Great great great great great great great great grandfather of HOWARD MASON!!!!!!
Xbox Live Gamertag: Anubis214
Robolizard222

The other day I watched "Grave of the Fireflies" and realized that I actually still have some human feelings left inside. It did make me wondered, though. What moments in mecha shows actually got you guys to tear up? Also Soul Bro can't say when Emma died and Chris can't say when he finally stopped watching Age.
People ask me if I'm a cat or a dog person. I'm actually a dog person. They taste better.
YokozunaBulldozer

HELLO!

1. Name one mecha pilot that gets his/her job done..... LIKE A BOSS.

2. I recently watched a few tidbits of Tetsujin 28 FX, a spin-off + sequel title of Tetsujin 28 in the vein of Kotetsushin Jeeg, Dancouga Nova, and though not a mecha title, Saint Seiya Omega.
My question for you guys is this; Which non canon sequels do you guys think was good enough that you wished it was canon, and which canon sequels do you guys prefer to consider non-canon?

A little trivia regarding Tetsujin 28 FX was that it was not as popular within its own show ever since the re-designed Black Ox stole the spotlight with its jet fighter transformation and mega-particle cannon-like weapons mounted on both sides of its back. All Tetsujin ever got was a bland-looking robotic phoenix clamped to its back if needed.....*insert Captain Picard facepalm.

3. There are numbers of overclocking gimmicks in mecha i.e. Trans-am from 00, SEED mode from SEED, Dangan X from Gaogaigar, Super Mode from G Gundam, etc. So, which is the dumbest of them all, and which is not too bad? A reason or two would be nice.
zero_the_masked_knight

Hi there. I'm a mid-time listener and a long time follower of your site. I've been following it since 2004, when Gundam Seed was airing on TV and I was curious for details on all of the Mecha in that show. As my Interest in Gundam grew to UC and later, 00, and as I discovered Code Geass, I've spent a fair amount of time going over either the Mecha Profiles or Chris's reviews. Then, I discovered both of your podcasts in about early 2012 and have followed them ever since.

These questions may be quite long. Please feel free to skip if you feel that they are too long, or irrelevant to the podcast.

1) For Chris: I'm curious if your recent interviews with voice actors both here in Gundamn! and Chaos Theatre have changed the views you've expressed in past shows. [Edit] For Example[/edit], has your interview with Crispin Freeman in Chaos Theater changed the way you view innocence? And has your recent interview with Stephanie Sheh changed the position you've expressed in Gundamn! ep. 92 and Chaos Theater ep. 24? I vividly recall that while you didn't excuse piracy, you understood that piracy was an "understandable" response to bad business decisions, and that ultimately, the responsibility fell on the distributors - Eastern and Western - who don't make their product more accessible. Not cheaper but, more accessible via streaming, or release times, or by not giving fans what they want (i.e. no Japanese Language, etc.). [Edit] Chris answered the question about piracy in Chaos Theatre ep. 51[/edit] Neo and Soulbro, your answers would be cool, too.

2) A Capcom question For Soulbro. Feel free to skip if you've never heard of it. What's your take on Resident Evil: Outbreak? Long story short, you can choose four (online) or three (offline) out of eight players, each with their own advantages and disadvantages and journey through 5 different scenarios. You've really got to work together in order to survive. Myself, I've had an okay time with it: the main benefit is you've got the option to choose between the "Traditional" tank controls and analog controls. I got so used to using the analog controls that when I played code:veronica, I got really put off because it went back to the traditional controls. The soundtrack is okay too. When I played it again recently, I noticed that even the AI actually inflicts damage and can kill the enemy, something that REvelations' designers seem to have forgotten about. I understand that the biggest flaw the game had - for an online game- was the "communication" system where you had to twitch the right analog stick or press the square button to say something, right for "thank you", up for "help", etc. All in all, I think that Outbreak was a great concept that wasn't properly executed. You can sort of see the concept properly executed in Left 4 dead. Chris and Neo, your answers would be cool, too.

Another Capcom question:
I understand the shift in style carried out with Resident Evil 4 is for the sake of what Chris called "Franchise Sustainability"- trying to expand your market to more than the traditional RE fans. It's been about 9 years since RE4 came out, and Capcom has produced a plethora of Resident Evil games and movies. By "Movies", I mean the ones set in the games' universe, not the live action ones. Do you think Capcom has been successful? Chris and Neo, your responses would also be appreciated.

Lastly:
Would you be willing to recommend REvelations to Chris and/or Pedro for either the 3DS, or more recently, PC and consoles? I know I would.

Sorry, Soulbro. The only thing I really like from Capcom is RE and to a lesser extent, Devil May Cry. I respect street fighter for what it's done for fighting games, but I enjoy Tekken more.

Thanks for providing so much entertaining and informative stuff over the years, and for keeping my account active even though I haven't used it in a while. You guys are great :)
Last edited by zero_the_masked_knight on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Seeing people for who they are; not who you think they are, not what you want them to be. Seeing someone unconditionally, without paranoia, without prejudice, without stereotypes, without fear...That's what "love" is.
"Love" is looking into a person's eyes and seeing a soul.
sakurangel

Hi guys el bastardo mexicano is here with some random questions
1-josh whedon or j.j. Abrams?
2- is anybody really checking NEON ALLEY?
3- having a conversation with yuri longwethal at comicon, come to mind this question... if you have in a cave 4 character voice by yuri, who will die first and survive until the end?-people in cave are- simon(gurren lagoon), ben10, yosuke(persona4), and barnaby(tiger&bunny)

Thanks guys have a nice days
Yuri lowenthal- "Angel Lopez(sakurangel) you are the manliest man I ever meet"
Alexis Tipton- "angel is was nice meet you"
bloodyknight

Hi guys,

Don't know whether anyone has talked about you guys about this.

Just had this terrible thought while listening to another podcast,

any thoughts about creating clothing for your brand.

I mean your podcast are old enough, popular enough and professional enough. (at least that's my opinion.)

For example, Gundamn t-shirts?

Skip this if you don't want to answer.

I just had this terrible thought.

Keep up the good work!!!
Blackbeltsam

Greetings! This is Sam, aka that jerk that happens to know Dollow.

Quick question: What is your favorite mecha from a non-mecha series? Mine would have to be the Magitek Armor that appear in Final Fantasy 6. Also, the Egg Dragoon from the Sonic Unleashed is kinda cool too.
Twitter.com/Blackbelt_sam
YokozunaBulldozer

HELLO!

1. Which seems scarier? Skynet-controlled Doraemon or Dark Energon-fueled Haros?

2. Neo, name and describe to us the Super Combining Robot of your dreams(something along the lines of Gaogaigar or Dancouga) with you as the main pilot, and your brothers in arms composed of Lord Bay, The Admiral, and King Larry. Please bellow out combining sequence catch phrase. :D

3. Soul Bro, with recent Capcom fighting titles getting the HD treatment, do you think Tech Romancer has a shot at a HD makeover?

4. Chris, as you know, your beloved sacred beast, Grumpy Cat, is getting its own movie. Here is the question; How far will you go to show your enthusiasm for Grumpy Cat? Will you stop at just getting a few Grump Cat-related goods, or just go all out and start a Grumpy Cat convention a.k.a. GrumpyCon?
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
PugLife

Hey all, first time poster ,long time listener. I highly enjoy listening to you guys, keep up the good work. I know this is a question about video games but one that contains mecha! Did anyone see the trailer and gameplay footage of Titanfall revealed at E3 last week? I can't wait for it's release, the combination of CoD-like gameplay and "Titan" ordinance drops gets me excited about the next console generation. Will it be enough for any of you to purchase a PS4 or Xbox One sooner rather than later?
kayone73

Hello Gundamn Trio,

I'm watching the new Appleseed XIII series right now and putting aside thoughts on the show itself, I'm most struck by their evolution of cell shaded animation, where it's stylized to the point of looking like moving, rendered manga style art rather than the flatter style cell shading of the past. What do you guys think about the current evolution of cell shaded, heavily CG enhanced animation styles making their way into new shows and does it simply make you nostalgic for the times when cheap korean animation labor drew their cells the old fashioned way?