Gundamn! Mailbag Drop Box

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
animalia

Re: Gundamn! Mailbag Drop Box

animalia wrote:Do you guys have to pick on Soul Bro so much? It was funny and novel for awhile but now it just seems like you are going for the Low-Hanging Fruit. You could at least try to come up with a new twist on it rather then the same old same old you seem to do.
First of all I was aware of the good natured ribbing aspect, of what i called "Picking on". Secondly my problem was that it got old after awhile, guess I should have phrased it better.

Finally, I must disagree with your statement that if it is funny once it is always funny, as some humor ages better then others, for example i am willing to bet that even, "Why did the Chicken cross the road? To get tot the other side." was funny when it was first told.

P.S. sorry that this was more of a comment then a question, thanks in advance for humoring me, no pun intended.

P.P.S. Here is a suggestion for new material, next you start to call Soul Bro Switzerland, point out how that is an insult to switzerland, because

and i do not know if you know this but switzerland actually has quite a formidable military, and it is thier military that ALLOWS them to stay neutral if Germany had tryed to drag Switzerland into World War II the way they did Belgium they would have taken heavy loses even if they won. Switzerland is the type of neutral that sits on the sidelines watching the Flame wars of Trolls and laughing at their stupididty, whereas Soul Bro is more of the wishy-washy type of Neutral that tries to please everybody, I hope this info and observations will help you come up with some new material.

P.P.P.S. Soul Bro is not a Devil's Advocate either, in that while devil's advocates will still pick the unpopular side to argue, they at least STICK with siad side once picked.
Last edited by animalia on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zabimustdie

Hello again Soul Bro, Chris, and Neo.

Thank you for reading my question last time. I'm excited for the ZOE HD Collection still.
So, I have a few quick Zone of the Ender's questions for you.
The music: Yay or nay?
Do you think that Leo Stenbeck was redeemed in 2nd Runner after being an annoying character in the first game?
And lastly, are there any equivalents to Anubis in the Gundam franchise? I.e. an enemy suit that constantly out performs the main character's suit 'til the very end?
"Where there is no death, there is life." - Ghost in Chronopolis, Chrono Cross
YokozunaBulldozer

HELLO!

My recent favorite mecha is the RB-79 Ball, and while looking for pics I happened to see a "Char Custom Ball" complete with red paint job, horns, and ZEONG hand attached to its head (http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... -manga.jpg).

So my question is what would be the most over-the-top Char Custom you can think of? The only one I could think of from the top of my head is a Char Custom White Base with horns and red paint (and it moves three times faster).
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Rook

Hey Chris, Neo and Soul Bro, you guys have put together an awesome podcast with Gundamn and it's really opened my eyes to a lot of other mecha-anime and mecha-related stuff that I would otherwise not have been aware of, and actually even managed to reconcile me with great material such as Macross Plus, which I thought was, for the longest time (seriously, about 17 years), just an awesome tube dream made even more awesome by the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia. Thankfully, I was wrong about that. This was of course due to your round-up on the topic, and I figure I should finally get on your boards and express my appreciation as well as ask a lingering question I've had:

What is your favorite 'grunt' mecha? Be it for sake of style, story, or some other conceivable reason. I've always personally taken a liking to Gundam SEED's JINN. It's something about the way they were designed that appeals to my personal aesthetic tastes, and combined with the way they move gracefully (...through stock footage...) makes them capture my eye more than other runner-ups such as the HiZak (which is cool in it's own right) or the Samurai Guymelefs in the first few episodes of Escaflowne (but all Guymelefs are awesome so it's a low-hanging fruit to pick).

So for each of you, what is your favorite 'grunt' or 'canon fodder' mech in any franchise and why?
tehprognoob

Andrei Smirnov lived a whiny bitch and died a real man

Agree/Disagree? Discuss.
Faithful soldier of the Hatsune Miku Scout Force

animalia

at the end of the mailbag in episode 93 you said you were not trying to be a dick when answering the comment, despite the fact that you said the person who posted the comment deleted it himself. While it is true that from a security standpoint you should never send anyone an email, or picture that you would not want the whole world to see, it is still a dick move for the person who receives such content to forward it into the world, which is what you did, if you just wanted to use it as an example of revisionist history you could have kept the posters name anonymous.

P.S. how do you guys find out about what people are saying on 4chan. I do not know anything about what they say there, because the only way I can think of to find out said info is to actually agot to 4cahn , and once I did that i would have to either have my brain surgically removed, or live the rest of life 400 IQ pints shorter, yes i am aware that would give me a negative iq that is just how bad 4chan is.
Captain America

Hello again crew, following in the style of Mr. Mu I have only two questions for you.

With all of the talk that was done last year about the problems that occur when Bandai refuses to adapt to markets, what are some good moves you think that other companies have taken?

Soul Bro Ryu if you could have one Gundam and one general mecha Japan only game, to be imported, updated for HD, and with dual language capability which games would you chose? Neo, Chris, feel free to join in.

As always keep up the good work men.
Captain America
Last edited by Captain America on Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
animalia

You have often mentioned that one reason that mecha is such a niche genre here, is because we do not have a long history with it, whereas Japan does have such a history, however all off history has to start somewhere. What I want to know is how the mecha genre became established in Japan, and why the same thing did not happen here. I would also like to know if it would be possible to loosely retrace and redevelop the same history here in America, for example license a current property similar to part one of the history, if that works license a property similar to part 2, etc.
kayone73

Question for Neo, 1st lieutenant of the Michael Bay army.

Have you heard about the announcement of Michael Bay's tackling a remake of everyone's favorite Heroes in a Half Shell, and if so, what do you think Sir Bay's take on the Ninja Turtles would include. More specifically, who would you want to cast as April O'Neill?
Furious Rodimus

Hey guys,

I've been gone for a while but I've got a couple of questions:

1. What business model would you propose for the anime industry going forward?

2. Have you seen the Shout Factory releases of the Transformers G1 Collection? What were your thoughts on the subtitles that strayed pretty far from the original language track?

3. How do you maintain your interest in mecha and anime the level you do? I'm ust wondering since I'm coming back after a rather long hiatus.
It's the stronger who create the weaker!

I am the (Color) (Object/Natural Element), Ace of (Organization) Fear Me!
stagrider

Hello I've been a listener for a while and your stuff is great.
I was wondering if any of you guys had seen Godannar or Mazinkaiser SKL and what you think of it if you did.

Second if you have scene star driver what is your favorite cybody design from that show.
I asked that one here since it is just related to hte mecha and not the actual show itself, and nice episode about it in chaos theater too.
RX Prime

Hello Gundamn! crew,

Will there be a Transformers round-up series (mainly the shows and movies released in America), featuring great series such as Beast Wars and the new Prime show, or is Soul Bro never taking off his nostalgia glasses with G1?

BTW, I'm heading to BotCon 2012 at Dallas, TX. :D
Naz

Hi, I have a couple of questions:
1) Have you watched the reboot version of Reideen? If so, what's your take on it? If not, will it one day be on your review list?
2) What robot series would it take to be on PS Vita to make you guys gain interest in the system enough to purchase one?

Thanks, and long live Gundamn!
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

1a. Dear SoulBro, do you feel that you are a strong martial artist? Would you be able to win in a fight, and what would your strategy be?

1b. Chris and Neo, how much do you think playing fighting games has affected SoulBro's answer to the previous question? You know, like how all Madden players think they would make all-star quarterbacks and coaches.

1c. SoulBro, if not answered in your previous reply, have you ever trained in martial arts, and if not, what specific styles do you admire or would like to learn?

2. What is your personal advice to the audience this week?

3. Do you think you know culture??
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Dollow

Heya guys got a list on things that I have been thinking about,

1. I am sure you have all seen Gundam 00 (Double-O) on SyFy when it was airing, what did you think of the dubbing job for the show?

2. In season 1 of Gundam 00, we see the Celestial Being Space Station abandoned, I know that it was meant to make the GN Drives for the gundams, but is it ever mentioned how it ended up like that? Was it the ELS or something else?

3. I just finished Last Exile Fam, The Silver Wing, have any of you (Neo) been watching it? If so what did you think of it?

4. Silver Wing ended with 21 eps, as far as I knew it was meant to have 24, but still had an fulfilling ending for me, I want to know what series for you (outside of First Gundam and X) had the tail end of the series rushed or cut short, but that still had an ending that was so well done that it was still a great series. (for me Yu-Gi-Oh GX both anime and manga are this)

5. What were some anime shows, that were made from the year 2000 to now, that you would consider timeless? Shows that 10 years later will still be be amazing as they were when they were first made.

Last question you do believe Kenji Kamiyama is the new Mamoru Oshii, what do you thing of the new Cyborg 009 from visual stand point (I think it looks awesome)?

Thank you
Last edited by Dollow on Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
jroy1117

Hey guys did you hear about or see the Cartoon network April fools joke? What do you think of it? Personally it was bitter sweet but I loved that I got to see Gundam Wing on tv one last time. :)
I Want You for the War on: U.C. Puritans, Wing Jihadists, and Seed Zealots.

"Veni, vidi, Deus Vicit"
Shinigam_Newtype

Hey there, I have one mini rant that will likely garner a response and one question, one aimed at Chris and the other aimed at Soul Bro and Neo.

1) Chris, in a previous episode you stated that you didn't like the MSG novel Awakening Escalation Confrontation because you deemed the prose incompetent or something along those lines. Having read the original Japanese novel and now currently reading the English adaptation, I must vehemently disagree with your assessment of the novel's prose. Having read an extensive amount of books I can honestly say I've read much worse from original novels written by native english speaking authors.

2) Soul Bro and Neo, are there any MSG novels aside from AEC that you enjoy and can recommend?

Thanks and keep up the great work.
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080
Arbiter GUNDAM

To the Right Honorable Lords of Gundamn!@MAHQ,

1. When Tomino and crew set about making Gundam back in 1979, did they have to pay anything to Gerard K. O'neill for using the Island Three colony designs in the show?

2. One of my fondest Gundamn memories is going to the first MegaCon show. I remember SoulBro having to deal with a lot of technical issues but what were those issues?

3. A question was once asked about which hosts of Top Gear you thought yourselves to be like unto. I now ask what hosts of Mythbusters you think you best relate to? Personally I think Chris is the Jamie Hyneman, SoulBro is the Adam Savage and Neo is the Tory Bellaci. What say you?
Last edited by Arbiter GUNDAM on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Vent Noir

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote: 4. Are there any Gundam or anime myths you would like to bust?
Isn't that what the Straight Talk Express is for?
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Proteus

Dear Gundamn crew,

1) Imagine you are an ordinary citizens living in an alternate universe where Kira Yamato exist and is piloting the Turn A gundam. You saw him flying/charging towards you, what will you do? Please be noted that this is Kira in his ultimate jesus mode so retaliation is futile, plus Kira being Kira, he'll be spaming moonlight butterfly left, right and center.

2) If you were given a choice of piloting either the Agguguy, Juaggu, Zakrello, Zock or Meer Campbell's pink Zaku which will you choose? Suicide is also a valid option.

Thanks guys and keep up the good work.